• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Odds are I won't be able to make a rochester tourney till my senior year in high school, or even college.

Syracuse isn't as bad, but it's distance isn't the sole reason I have an easier time attending cuse tourneys. I also have grandparents that live close to Syracuse, so that's why I was able to really make SS3.

Rochester should still have tourneys as well as Buffalo, Albany, or anywhere that's on the throughway, really. It's the only reason I'd still consider hosting one in Utica sometime in the future, because it's kinda like the Rochester of ENY. An hour away from Syracuse, in the opposite direction. Syracuse is easily the center of NYS smash tho, and where our biggest regionals should always be.

PS: I'm turning 16, Sunday.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Im thinking of running a tourney when school starts again and everyone is back here.

Potential issues:

Due to some people that ive spoken to, we cant really hold a tourney anywhere just because of how many of us there are and how some of us are younger, and need an additional a legit place to go to to play smash with people.

The only venue Rochester really has that can hold all of us for a tourney is Cyberstorm, and they are going to charge a 10$ venue fee regardless. of anything

I dont feel like dealing with people if their going to be moaning and complaining about how bad of a TO I am the whole time and not listening to me

you should know who this is by now
I would like to host a tourney when i come back as well. Due to not having to rely on RIT to host, we can use RIT's fireside lounge (where smash club usually is). No venue fee is good venue fee IMO.

Anyone think this is a good idea (this means no EGS ****ing **** up) please tell me.

huMps

Smash Ace
no venue fee, and add a dollar or 2 to the entrance fee. that way the pots bigger and people are still saving some money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I agree to everything. Though you dont really have to increase the pot. Nothing wrong with a low stakes tournament. Free venue is always nice and will definetly attract more players.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
I think it depends on the size of the tourney. For a back to Rochester / start of year tourney the turnout may or may not be that good, so I'd say do it at someone's house or in the fire side lounge if we can get away with it.

If we expect upwards of 20-30 people (brawl + melee), I say go ahead and do it at cyberstorm and be legit. Venue fees be ****ed, it's a nice place and I actually enjoy spending time there with people. Time and date is also an issue that you should consider when figuring out the venue. When Minh, Chris, and I get into our apartment, I'll see if we have enough room to host anything. Probably not, but we'll see.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Alternate locations. Between different months, etc.
I love visiting cuse, and all that.
But we do have a preeeeetty good venue in RIT, as long as there's no middleman getting us the space. (read: **** EGS)

We'll just get the fireside lounge for an event in the first month or two.
That's sum gooooood space.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Even if you dont need a venue fee, I say charge one any way, and put it into some raffle prizes like at SS2, or even just buy some pizzas and soda to have at the venue.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
The venue we had at rise from ashes pt 1 and 2 was my favorite venue of all time imo. Better then fireside. We had our own private area with couches and a friggen kitchen with a fridge. Should get that at beginning of school year.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
The place I found in North Syracuse is where it's at. I need to show you guys the place soon.

Sharky

Smash Master
this is a sort of general announcement to anyone that might be in touch with neil today:

I need to find out if he is still willing to stop through syracuse to get me and vibe to go to Dr. Grandpa's place. I had started to make other plans when goggles pulled out, but now that neil is driving I'd definitely still like to go there for apex housing, but he hasn't responded to any of my efforts to get in touch with him since sunday night. My alternate housing at the moment (splitting a hotel with some random downstate people) wants to know by today whether or not I'll be staying with them, and the same goes with my alternate ride. so NEIL PIKA! PIKAPIKA! PIKACHU! PLEASE GET BACK TO ME TODAY! >.<

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Well guys it looks like in the absence of transportation I can't make it to APEX, but it doesn't look like much of anyone can.

Kind of smarter for me no to go anyway. Ah well.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I was hoping all you guys would make it to Apex =( Oh well, for those who ARE going please enjoy and make the best of it. Get the NY name out :)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Kyle, have you seen the electricity business yet? You should seriously get into that. RESIDUAL INCOME THROUGH THE ****ING ROOF. Office just opened in Rochester. Has my contact gotten a hold of you yet?

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
i heard hes taking u according to sharky o_O
u gonna keep calling him to get in touch with him madude

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if yall want, I can stop by the apartment, if he still hasnt said anything yet

and mana, The company im currently with is already dealing with residual income all over the place with telecommunications and were going to be entering the gas and electric field most likely by the end of the year. Right now, all I need right now is a solid steady pay check job type of deal. Just a consistent 200 or so a week coming in for the moment so I can take care of bills and such. I thank you greatly for showing me the info tho. And Ian did get in contact with me but I just didnt get the chance to respond to him yet.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Kyle just go work at a fast food joint, you can get 200 a week if u work enough.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Doesn't matter to me. I'm biased and my character doesn't do bad on hardly any of those new stages.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's Island (Melee) is definitely more legitimate than Norfair, Luigi's Mansion, Distant Planet, & Pictochat. Maybe Port Town, but I've honestly not played there enough even recreationally to really make fair judgment.

Stage list is too big, I liked the other one better. But it doesn't matter since every TO does it differently anyhow.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, I'm looking for another job. This one is bull, I've worked the past 54 straight days without a day off with no increased pay raises, still at my original starting out pay, and now they throw even more work onto me. I'll put it this way to save the spam of ranting. My work days, where I can get the most done, are 6 hours long. Not much, I know, but anyways, the amount of work they already had set for me and what they have piled onto me since I started this screwed up straight working, would take me a total of roughly 14 hours. My company though frowns upon working after extended times, reason being, if I do, then I can claim right to go to the Labor Board and force my company to give me day offs, which they don't want until they can find someone else to work, which god knows if they have or not. So yeah, do the math. 14hours of total work in which I have 6 hours to do, and even the store manager told me today for the newest pile of crap my higher ups added onto me "If you can't do it I'll find someone else who can". So yeah, looking for a new job and, if I can get one lined up, quitting my current.

Edit: Sorry for it, I've just needed to rant all **** day.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
54 days straight? ****, that's intense. I'm working 6 day weeks, 40+ hours for the past week & this & I thought that was a lot. What exactly do you do?

Food service is where it's at. <3

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
I'm a maintenance worker, or the easier way to put it, I clean bathrooms, take out garbage, and clean up floors and windows. The first three aren't bad, can do all that in 4-4.5 hours, the others...my company wants me to use our cleaning machine to clean the entire store. The store is roughly 50+ isles, and it takes me roughly 1.5 hours to clean 9 of them with the machine. So lets just times that by 5, and we have 7.5 hours, on top of the 4.5 hours, for 12, for cleaning out the machine, refilling it with water, etc. Then cleaning windows will...adding it up all together...roughly another 6 hours. 4 hours on main entrainces, then 2 hours of rear and side entrances. So all together, 18 hours of work, actually. Oi...the stress made my math screw up...and that never happens. But the hours aren't bad, it's 5 and 6 hour work days, but I cannot fall asleep before midnight 95% of the time, and work for me is 6AM. Also I'm constantly walking all day long for the 5 or 6 hours and I am NOT allowed any breaks, because I work for such a short time. Yeah, not even 15min breaks.

huMps

Smash Ace
I quit my job a week ago, and got an interview later that day and hired the day after that. My last day at my previous job was 14 hours and my hands were bleeding for 13.5 of them. But I have never worked 54 days straight, thats illegal I'm pretty sure. You should look it up. jobs are out there if your willing to work, just get out there and look. But 13.5 hours of bleeding hands or 54 days straight is definitely a legit reason for quitting.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Well, from what I understand so far for the NY State Labor Board, it is illegal to work full time (40+hrs) at 8hrs+ a day, for 7 days a week. For my company though, I'm working the 7 days a week, but at 5 and 6 hour days, below the 8 hour mark, with barely working 40 hours that week. Also from what I've been told, because of those hours, I am not eligible for the company to be giving me my 2 day offs per 8 days of work, due to them using my set schedule as a loop hole. I'm not 100% on it, but from what I've been told by others and what I've looked up so far, it's what they're doing.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I'm hunting for a job that'll satisfy my co-op at the moment, which is proving rather difficult, but... I'm also just not aggressive enough, I think. Gotta step it up.

-Back to goggles' reaction, I'm all over japes. DELICIOUS. I could john about some of the stuff, but ultimately, we've taken BBR with a grain of salt in the reigon all along. Not a big deal. We'll toy with some changes, we'll see what we do... yeah. LOOKIN FORWARD TO FALL, GUYS.

Top Bottom