• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
I hope pyro comes back and gives me the ****.

matter of fact, I hope he comes back and stomps EVERYONE out.

i mean, I wish everyone would beat me at melee, since that would mean that youre actually good at the game, but pyro especially, just because he knows where the fun is in this game.

if I hadnt put 3-4 years into doc and ganon, Id probably be maining Gwatch/YLink by now.
Top ten wanted FAQs on gamefaqs.com ...lol!

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Lol Steffon. PS you need a bit of work to be Neil at his best.

This is not me being his fangirl, I am always brutally honest with him about how he plays. At this point his advantage is experience and disadvantage is his lack of practice which makes some of his play sloppy.

Good luck.

Pyro - good luck with you marth main.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
steffon is way more consistent with his general playstyle than neil is.

neil has just been playing long enough to be by far the most consistent of any of us, at getting low % kills, which is what wins. but he kind of requires that you attack him to put yourself in said situations. thats why steffon usually wins now, because neil isnt dealing with the camping correctly.

short story, neil is better than steffon at his best but doesnt play his best as often as steffon does so its a moot point.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Stuff stuff stuff
Zhu is my dude! You are wrong though, if you look at our top 4, they all have distinctively different play styles.

Jesiah: Fast, pressure oriented, very technical, dash dance camps, death combos.

Vicious: Fast, technical, campy, medium combos, traps.

PikaPika!: Much more paced, less technical, edge oriented, looks for shield habits to create grab opportunities primarily, relies more on tech chases than combos.

Minh: Paced, campy, focuses on mind games and read, least technical of the four, strong edge guard game.

Lol Steffon. PS you need a bit of work to be Neil at his best.

This is not me being his fangirl, I am always brutally honest with him about how he plays. At this point his advantage is experience and disadvantage is his lack of practice which makes some of his play sloppy.

Good luck.

Pyro - good luck with you marth main.
Has me beating Neil in the LAST THREE TOURNAMENTS we have played meant nothing to anyone? At this point my experience is catching up to Neil's very quickly. His main strenghth is his play style does not require him to be technical beyond getting grabs and not messing up gimps.

steffon is way more consistent with his general playstyle than neil is.

neil has just been playing long enough to be by far the most consistent of any of us, at getting low % kills, which is what wins. but he kind of requires that you attack him to put yourself in said situations. thats why steffon usually wins now, because neil isnt dealing with the camping correctly.

short story, neil is better than steffon at his best but doesnt play his best as often as steffon does so its a moot point.
Thanks for the support, although I would still argue my beast mode can still top Neil's beast mode for the pure reason I can tech chase and combo equally well, and my characters tend to do pretty brutal things with a single opening. Sheik requires more reads and guess work at low percents, and has trouble chasing my *** down if I feel like running is more prudent than actually fighting him.

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
you make a good argument but all of this stems from him wanting to focus on brawl...until he gets serious about melee again yea you may as well assume you are better.

Animal

Smash Lord
homie...they dont even know about that long island scene. so underground

Sharky

Smash Master
^lol what is this I don't even...

also I just found out that apex is during shark week. I'm totally gonna **** this tourney XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you make a good argument but all of this stems from him wanting to focus on brawl...until he gets serious about melee again yea you may as well assume you are better.

as far as ive seen, jesse and angel have played more brawl since the tourney than neil has...

therefore i have to disagree with this statement.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
So Jesse, Neil, or Steffon, do u any of u think u could swing by ithaca to pick me up for apex? Apparently according to google maps, driving from rochester to Ithaca to the apex venue will only take 12 minutes longer than driving from rochester to the venue.

And does any1 have a plan for housing down there? I'd definitely be chip in for gas money and a hotel room if we need one.

Plus doubles partner. does neil have one? im still looking. Steve where u at...

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
So Jesse, Neil, or Steffon, do u any of u think u could swing by ithaca to pick me up for apex? Apparently according to google maps, driving from rochester to Ithaca to the apex venue will only take 12 minutes longer than driving from rochester to the venue.

Plus doubles partner. I need one, any1 still looking?
I need one! We'll rock the peach x link?

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
So being that today is August 1st - I have like 25 more days left on Long Island until I'm up in Buffalo.

If all goes well, I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys at some tournaments. I want to see how I'd stack up against you guys. I need to get some videos up of me fighting my friends and level 9 cpus (Yeah my friends kind of suck), since I want some critiquing. I feel like I PK Fire way too much & get burned from it (pun intended).

When you upload a video from an SD card, you basically just have to put it into a camera and connect the camera to a USB, and then post it up on youtube?

Sharky

Smash Master
@bluepeachy: it might be too much **** for the poor wii's processor to handle but I'll try XD

tomato: are you talking about brawl replays? If so, then you have to actually put the sd card into the wii, play the replay in brawl, and record that with some sort of recording device, be it a video camera or a capture card.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like too much work. Especially considering I lack the necessary materials. >_>

You can't just take the Brawl Replays straight to the computer via SD card in a camera with a USB? I'm guessing the file is really bizarre or something like that then?

By the way, I demand someone host a tournament in Buffalo soon. Just saying.

Sharky

Smash Master
you can't just upload the replay file because all the replay is, is inputs of what each character did in the game, and any other data from the match. There is no actual video file.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
That's strange, I'm surprised they wouldn't just record a video of it instead. Oh well, thanks for the heads up though.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman

as far as ive seen, jesse and angel have played more brawl since the tourney than neil has...

therefore i have to disagree with this statement.
It's not like Neil never practices melee at all or anything like that you know?

And does any1 have a plan for housing down there? I'd definitely be chip in for gas money and a hotel room if we need one.

Plus doubles partner. does neil have one? im still looking. Steve where u at...
Talk to Neil. I'm not going, and as far as I know Jesse isn't either. Super super money johns on my part.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
oh god, you found that old video of me vs my friend last summer LOL. if you want some really good shiek players to watch, check out teczer0 and kirbykaze. they pretty much lay out how shiek plays right now. also, i'm planning on writing something up later on playing in NJ vs rochester so keep an eye out for that.
I'm terrible, don't listen to this man.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I really need a ride, but if all else fails, I guess I'll try to take the bus all the way down for Apex lol

If anyone drives me, I'll be more than willing to help you guys stay on track for Ithaca if you're willing to pick up Minic, too.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
^lol what is this I don't even...

also I just found out that apex is during shark week. I'm totally gonna **** this tourney XD
This made me laugh uncontrollably.

SHETH your lack of faith (in this game) disappoints me. IIRC some dude said "oh you guys wait imma be legit come sept after power levelin with the DC peeps"

wtf happened bro?

Foy

Smash Champion
Im thinking of running a tourney when school starts again and everyone is back here.

Potential issues:

Due to some people that ive spoken to, we cant really hold a tourney anywhere just because of how many of us there are and how some of us are younger, and need an additional a legit place to go to to play smash with people.

The only venue Rochester really has that can hold all of us for a tourney is Cyberstorm, and they are going to charge a 10$ venue fee regardless. of anything

I dont feel like dealing with people if their going to be moaning and complaining about how bad of a TO I am the whole time and not listening to me

you should know who this is by now

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
This made me laugh uncontrollably.

SHETH your lack of faith (in this game) disappoints me. IIRC some dude said "oh you guys wait imma be legit come sept after power levelin with the DC peeps"

wtf happened bro?
-Bad
-Scheduling

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Foy the place i hosted SS3 is 20 times bigger than cyberstorm, you can charge as much or as little venue as you want, There no other customers you have to deal with. And also syracuse is located in the middle of upstate which is why it is Central. And most of the younger people live closer to syracuse.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Lets not embelish here. The art space was at most, 2 times bigger than the space at Cyberstorm. The space we were using was at the least, bigger than either one of the individual artspace rooms

2. Also, correction, most of the younger people that youve seen at tourneys live closer to syracuse. Which is understandable since the tourneys have been in Syracuse, and its only logical to believe that the will be more younger people from Rochester, at tourneys that are held in Rochester.

3. There are definitely a couple people that I know of that have been asking me to run an event in Rochester specifically because they cant go all the way out to syracuse. Thats also the reason Asylum wasnt at the last event.

Sharky

Smash Master
I agree we should do stuff in both syracuse and rochester, because not everyone has the ability to travel. We should try to find someplace cheaper than cyberstorm, however. =/

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer Rochester because it's closer to Buffalo. But since so much of the Smash scene in NYS is really centered around Syracuse, it makes sense that it'd be the hub of Smash in the state. There's no reason not to host tourneys in Rochester, Buffalo, or anywhere else if we can find suitable arrangements. I'm sure there are places that would be willing to host that would allow for a lower venue fee.

Also, I would be down to attempt to host something in Buffalo, although I have absolutely no 'real' tournament experience so thus I'd probably make for a crappy TO, unless I worked closely with someone who knew what they were doing. The Student Union at UB's north campus wouldn't be a bad location, I've seen some pictures & it's pretty spacious - It's where they hold their Smash Club after all. BluePeachy told me of another location that would be good for a tournament as well. But we'll see when the time comes.

Although Rochester would definitely be reasonable if you could find a location. a $5 venue fee or lower would be preferable, since the tournament would probably cost $5 at least, not to mention travel expenses. But I'm sure you could find another place to host it.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
1. Lets not embelish here. The art space was at most, 2 times bigger than the space at Cyberstorm. The space we were using was at the least, bigger than either one of the individual artspace rooms
1. The Art space was about 1000 times bigger then cyberstorm, Because the only space we were allowed to use was the front and a small desk in the middle. Not to mention at cyberstorm cost 10$ venue and 10% house cut from all events. I charged 6$ venue at ss3 and i could have charged 5$ or less but venue fee was going to brys mom so i kept it at 6 and i also didnt take a percent house cut and i didnt make money off of it either.

2. Also, correction, most of the younger people that youve seen at tourneys live closer to syracuse. Which is understandable since the tourneys have been in Syracuse, and its only logical to believe that the will be more younger people from Rochester, at tourneys that are held in Rochester.
2. Correction, Ive been to all of the tournaments we've thrown in the past year. And i mean All of them, So ill break it down for you based on the discussion of age.

SS1 (Syracuse)- 3 People 16 or younger
SS2(syracuse) 9 People 16 or younger.
SS3 (Syracuse)- 8 people 16 or younger.

Return of rochester- (Rochester) No one under the age of 18
Stylin on you- (Rochester) 1 or 2 people 16 or younger
Styling on you 2 (Rochester)- 3 People 16 or younger.
Rit rise from the ashes 1 and 2 (Rochester) - 1 person 16 or younger.
Hit you again rit (rochester)- Im pretty sure no one was under 18 it was all college kids but i cant confirm it.

Geneseo singles- no one under 18
A taste of buffalo (Buff)- No one under 18 years of age

In Central NY (in terms of young smashers) we have; BcB, l-don, Vibe, Marioman. leet-0, b-t-k, Dahrem, Frostbite, Killer banjo, Mako and a couple others. These people have a difficult time getting to Rochester and buffalo, while Syracuse is in the middle of everything and is easily accessible to kids in surrounding areas.

And the only young people that attended the Rochester tournaments are from central NY Lol.

Stylin on you- (Rochester) - Leet-0 and B-t-k (syracuse)
Styling on you 2 (Rochester)- Leet-0 , Frostbite, Dahrem (Syracuse)
Rit rise from the ashes 1 and 2 (Rochester) - Vibe (Albany)

So rofl at your number 2 statement hardcore.

there has been about 7 rochester tournametns and 3 syracuse, yet the only young people to show up to rochester tournaments is Central Ny kids.

3. There are definitely a couple people that I know of that have been asking me to run an event in Rochester specifically because they cant go all the way out to syracuse. Thats also the reason Asylum wasnt at the last event.
3. Ive spoken with asylum and the main reason he did not attend was because the turnout and cost wasnt worth it to travel as far.

If you can find a place to throw the tournament you can bet we'll all be out there but no more cyber storm. And be more than happy to hook you up with the venue i used if you need.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
heeeell yeah.

rochester is kind of old but that's where the melee homeboys are at. and my car is not in the best condition these days (been with me for a loooong time) so syracuse is a nicer travel for me... plus jeff goes into cuse all the time. just been too busy lately.

Top Bottom