• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
New BBR makes me feel like imma hate dr g in the fall. No ledge grab rule? fts nugguh we better have a ledge grab rule (this is comin from an MK player ffs)

Sharky

Smash Master
Well, from what I understand so far for the NY State Labor Board, it is illegal to work full time (40+hrs) at 8hrs+ a day, for 7 days a week. For my company though, I'm working the 7 days a week, but at 5 and 6 hour days, below the 8 hour mark, with barely working 40 hours that week. Also from what I've been told, because of those hours, I am not eligible for the company to be giving me my 2 day offs per 8 days of work, due to them using my set schedule as a loop hole. I'm not 100% on it, but from what I've been told by others and what I've looked up so far, it's what they're doing.

quote from the NYS Dept. of Labor website:

Q: How many hours can an employer ask an employee to work?
A: There are no restrictions on the number of work hours per day, except for children under 18. Likewise, there are no restrictions on how early in the morning, or how late in the evening, an adult employee may work. In some industries and occupations, an employee must receive 24 hours of rest in each calendar week, for example, work in a factory, mercantile establishment, hotel, and restaurant (except resort/seasonal hotels and small, rural restaurants), as well as elevator operator, watchman, janitor or superintendent.
I'm going to look up the specific wording of the law now, but I'm pretty sure what you're describing is illegal.

edit: the only exception I could find in the specific law:

2. This section shall not apply to:

a. Foreman in charge;

b. Employees in dairies, creameries, milk condenseries, milk powder factories, milk sugar
factories, milk shipping stations, butter and cheese factories, ice cream manufacturing plants and
milk bottling plants, where not more than seven persons are employed;

c. Employees, if the board in its discretion approves, engaged in an industrial or
manufacturing process necessarily continuous, in which no employee is permitted to work more
than eight hours in any calendar day;

d. Employees whose duties include not more than three hour’s work on Sunday in setting
sponges in bakeries, caring for live animals, maintaining fires, or making necessary repairs to
boilers or machinery.
so it boils down to whether or not your job is considered "industrial" as a maintenance worker, I wouldn't think so, however, =/ I would certainly bring this up to your employer.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I quit my job a week ago, and got an interview later that day and hired the day after that. My last day at my previous job was 14 hours and my hands were bleeding for 13.5 of them. But I have never worked 54 days straight, thats illegal I'm pretty sure. You should look it up. jobs are out there if your willing to work, just get out there and look. But 13.5 hours of bleeding hands or 54 days straight is definitely a legit reason for quitting.
1. thats amazing, ive never seen someone get a job that fast. where you work at now?
2. yes, those are both very legitamate reasons to quit a job.
3. Im looking for a job too, I hope I can work something out even half as fast as you did lol

New BBR makes me feel like imma hate dr g in the fall. No ledge grab rule? fts nugguh we better have a ledge grab rule (this is comin from an MK player ffs)
We just have to get better and out play the gay. thats how Ive always seen it. Thats what san does. I can promise you either way that me and neil wont be losing to that *********** again anytime soon.

speaking of neil, just wanted to throw it out there that his pikachu lost a set to my kirby, AND my ice climbers earlier today. he beat my shiek tho. Ima have to get him a LOT of matchup practice to make sure hes ready for this weekend.

quote from the NYS Dept. of Labor website:
Based on what I read, it sounds like any worker must have 24 hours TOTAL rest every week. and since hes only working 6 hour shifts, hes getting that easily. so that law probably isnt being broken. I will tell you one thing tho. that is some of the worst business practice ive ever seen.

I know guys that own restaurants that dont wont 50 days straight. I mean, dude is coming up on 2 full months of working every single day. thats just not right.

Sharky

Smash Master
@goggles, it must be 24 CONSECUTIVE hours of rest.

Also, my first round of pools for Apex, along with info I know about them:

Kool Aid - pit/wario/marth(?)
Kingtoon - lol we know
Colaya - Ike/Marth seemingly
MechWarrior - NJ guy, seems bad-ish
Sharky - terrible player, don't worry about him
KirinBlaze - mario/link

hype!

this would be vibe's pool if he manages to make it down there:

Kel
vVv Fino
Adumbrodeus
Vibe
Arc -thefallen-
Shiv

Neil's pool:

Will
PikaPika!
EEvisu
Wispy
Artemis
Kevin Magic Johnson

13370's pool:

Meep
Chaos marth
Nuke
Woodman
Jbandrew

San's pool:

San
Raidos
SuperSaiyanRenan
TommyGreenShirt (tough luck man =[ )
AlexoftheAura
Nintendo Master

Dr G's pool:

Dazwa
Dr. Granpa
Roller
Ilove
Cable
Phillyrider807

Snakeee's pool:

Junebug
Snakeee
Riddlebox
Clove
MBlaze
Xionix

MOSS' pool:

Orion
Famous
J-money
Bloodcross
Deven3000
MOSS

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
My predictions based on current pools.

Sharky- May get out of pools if he manages to out do kirin or manages an upset by beating either kt or poolaid. If you can manage to pull games from all of the top 3 players (kt kirin and kool) you may be able to squeeze by assuming others are getting 2-0.

Vibe- If he manages to make it he could place 3rd in his pool losing to kel, and fino. Only saying this because i dont have knowledge of the other players.

Neil- Should have no problem getting 1st or second in his pool depending how he plays against will he has the dk practice but will plays fairly different from dr g

leet-0- Leet-0 should make it out of his pool. I see him outplaying choas and maybe pulling a game or 2 from meep/jband and maybe upsetting 1 of them.

San- 1st in his pool

Dr g- Has a fairly tough pool. He claims he is good at dk dittos so i see him winning v-cable. He has some zss practice so he could upset dawwy. And ilove is a pretty good d3 main so he could have a hard time with that.

Snakeee- Should get 1st or 2nd in his pool. Xonix and mblaze both diddy, a match up he knows really well. Junebug is probably the only person in his pool that can beat him.

Moss- I can see moss getting 3rd mainly because i dont know famous is going anymore, but even if he did i think moss can beat famous and get 3rd losing to orion and bloodcross

Just my take on pools! other pools sharky forgot to post from our region.

Pool 22

Keitaro
PatG
Attila
x13mako
Aza
Kenny

^Makos pool.

Pool 41

Fujita
Smurf
Riot
Minic
MXXD123
GUARD

Im not sure if this minic is our minh or not. Good luck everyone :]

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Pool 40

Jash
Trela
RizMF
Pharrox
MdrnDayMercutio
O.M.R.

O.M.R.'s gonna have a tough time, Jash and Trela both extremely good, it'd come down if he can beat the three others.

Sharky

Smash Master
oh yeah forgot about those sorry guys =(

I don't think OMR is going to make it out, I know mdrndaymercutio is decent as well.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@goggles, it must be 24 CONSECUTIVE hours of rest.

Also, my first round of pools for Apex, along with info I know about them:

Kool Aid - pit/wario/marth(?)
Kingtoon - lol we know
Colaya - Ike/Marth seemingly
MechWarrior - NJ guy, seems bad-ish
Sharky - terrible player, don't worry about him
KirinBlaze - mario/link

Koolaid will most likely be maining mk for this tourney, seconding wario and pulling out the pit on very rare occasions. hes learned how bad that character is at this point and doesnt use him much.

I suggest that you get lots of tink practice with cura or anyone else that even plays the character recreationally. Even though KT does stuff that nobody else does with tink, it will vastly help to be aware of at least some of his capabilities.

Colaya doesnt go to many tourneys, but his ike and marth are both solid. dont sleep on him.

If mechwarrior is from jersey, chances are he plays mk, dont let your guard down.

Kirin. Will absolutely destroy you if you dont know the matchups vs link and mario. But his characters are bad so anybody can beat him. Tell him I said wassup tho. and tell him too take off that terrible NY mets hat that I KNOW hes going to be wearing.

guesses.
1. KT
2. Koolaid
3. Kirin
4. Sharkums
5. Colaya
6. MechW
this would be vibe's pool if he manages to make it down there:

Kel
vVv Fino
Adumbrodeus
Vibe
Arc -thefallen-
Shiv
Kel is a solid MK in Ohio. not much else to say here.

Anybody sponsered by vvv gaming, has to have a good tourney record in their home region. As such, Fino is a very skilled Olimar player. and could do some damage.

ADB is a good friend of mine. Tell him Im sorry I couldnt come through and give him the ****. But he is notorious for being vastly more skilled at debating the game than actually playing it. But he mains marth and hes not bad.

I believe Arc is a pit main, which means hes a metaknight main. I dont know too much past that.

Shiv was at stylin on you 2 and mained MK, the guy that dudutsai brought to the tourney. his MK surprised me. and if he was more consistent at our tourneys, I think he could be on the PR. almost as good as BluePeachy/MOSS.

1. Fino
2. Kel
3. Shiv
4. Vibe
5. Arc
6. ADB

Neil's pool:

Will
PikaPika!
EEvisu
Wispy
Artemis
Kevin Magic Johnson
Will is most likely the best DK going right now. He is notorious for getting comboed up to 150 and than killing the other guy first at 60. Even when you feel you have the advantage, be wary when playing him.

EE talks obscene amounts of junk. And hes a resonably decent player in MDVA. i forgot who he mains but Neil shouldnt lose to him. but neil should work on his problem matchups (i.e. the ones he doesnt know) anyway for this.

Wispy: I have no info on this person.

Miss Doctor Lady Artemis. Old friend of me and neils, we met her at a couple tourneys last year. Shes like 14 yrs old and mains pikachu. Tell her Im sorry that I couldnt make it, and I owe her a cookie next time I meet her.

Magic johnson: No info.

1. Will
2. Pikax2
3. EE
4. Artemis
5. Magic
6. Wispy

13370's pool:

Meep
Chaos marth
Nuke
Woodman
Jbandrew
At this point meep is a full fledged Fox main. He is very balenced with his lasers and his attacks and his defense. he lives in mdva so he probably gets in a lot of practice with GIMR, so be prepared for anything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMN4QshkTE
Also, he Short hops for spacing A LOT.

Chaos Marth is a meta main that Id say is about as good as me. he beat me at apex in pools last year. so watch out for him. also, since you main ness, dont be surprised if he tries to actually go marth on you.

Nuke: no info.

Woodman: I know he plays a not-as-good-as-san jigglypuff. and I think he has a high tier main too but I cant think of who it is. what % does ness backthrow kill puff anyway? like 100?

I know JBand is good, but I cant think of any specifics about him.

1. Meep
2. C Marth
3. Leet
4. JBand
5. Woodman
6. Nuke
San's pool:

San
Raidos
SuperSaiyanRenan
TommyGreenShirt (tough luck man =[ )
AlexoftheAura
Nintendo Master
Alex is a Lucario, if you couldnt tell by the aura reference in the name. But hes not as good as trela by a long shot so you shouldnt lose to him.

Pretty sure Raidos and Renan are just random Mks, so you shouldnt have any problems with them.

Nintendo Master: No Info.

1. San
2. Raidos
3. TGS
4. Renan
5. Alex
6. NM

Dr G's pool:

Dazwa
Dr. Granpa
Roller
Ilove
Cable
Phillyrider807
Dazwa has been moving farther and farther away from ZSS and using more MK/Snake in just about every tourney I see him in. Hes still an amazing player so watch yourself

Roller + Ilove: No Info.

Cable: VERY good DK player, highly intelligent smasher.

Phillyrider: PA peach main, cant be sure of his skill level, but hes not on the PR and I believe he has a pocket MK.

1. Dazwa
2. Cable
3. Phillyrider.
4. Dr. G
5/6. roller/ilove.

Snakeee's pool:

Junebug
Snakeee
Riddlebox
Clove
MBlaze
Xionix
Junebug: Number 1 in MdVA. mains lucario, will NOT go down easy.
Riddlebox: No info.
Clove: No info.
Mblaze: mains diddy and is active on the boards. slight above average imo
Xionix: See Mblaze

1. junebug
2. Snakeee
3. Mblaze
4. Xio
5/6. Clove/Rbox.

MOSS' pool:

Orion
Famous
J-money
Bloodcross
Deven3000
MOSS
Orion is obviously very skilled, regardless or whether or not he chooses to camp your balls off...

Famous: You can take his mario, his mario is good, but hes not as good as he makes himself out to be.

j-money: No info

BC: won a tourney with falco/MK in new england about a week ago. But I will give you the secret to beating him. Make sure neil is watching your match with him. BC is amazing when he is on his game hes beaten atomsk in MK dittoes, but he is the most susceptible and affected smasher by trash talk that Ive ever seen in my life. He honestly cant function when hes mad. Use that to your advantage.

Deven3000: I met him at SNES. I think he mains pikachu. Nothing super special.
1. Orion
2. MOSS
3. Bloodcross
4. Famous
5. Deven
6. J-Money

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Tell keitaro I said that he owes me for getting him a shirt at MLG, and if he wants to be even, he should throw his match to OMR lol. Mains falco, very good player

PatG co mains ZSS and lucario. definitely a threat.

Riz; random decent mk afaik

MDM is an ok diddy player.

Smurf is getting his MK really good, definitely above average.

riot is entering singles? Seeing as he plays zelda you can see why he usually only enters doubles.

MXXD: isnt that sharkys yoshi friend?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Strombert(spelling?) is in my pool now. I await playing him the most atm in my pool. I have great expectations for a lot of our people, especially since there are others who have really hard pools (did you see Anti's pool?)

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Well, from what both of ya said, Sharky and Goggles, I'm pretty sure it is, especially from the "Consecutive Hours" part, but I don't know. I'm the only one who can do the work, and today, oh yeah today...heh...here's another rant about work, so sorry again for work rant, but yeah.

Today, approximately at 9 AM, my District Manager and my Supervisor show up, telling me that they're here to help me out once more with the bathrooms because, as of Tuesday, there came a Health Inspector, and my store failed. Horribly. Those were his words, and I was essentially lectured for 30 minutes in the Inspector's words about the conditions of the bathrooms...so lets say I was steaming mad, twitching, etc. So they both showed me exactly what I had to do to make sure that I would pass inspection. Come to find out, my co-worker showed me, roughly, 7% of how I was to maintain the bathrooms. Yeah, isn't that grand? So I had about 2.5 hours of proper training today, and found out they do have someone interested in working, so I'll be getting help...sometime, when, I don't know. Also from what I found out, other stores in my region failed inspection to...but my store is the ONLY one that is getting a SECOND inspection...yeah, that great right? No idea when that will be, etc, so hooray for when that happens...

End rant.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
apparently mechwarrior mains samus/GW. GRRR
isnt yoshi one of the like 4 characters in this game that loses to samus?
lawl.

also, this just in

Tommygreenshirt and Ishieymoro have been switched between pools 29 and 33.
isheymoro is a competant wolf player but nothing san cant handle.

Tommy might be in trouble tho. Hes in rains pool now.
i.e. the best smash player in Japan.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
kyle, i still dont understand why u cannot make to this big *** event well gl with whatever ur doing

IM MAKING TOP 3 in my pool... maybe lol

Foy

Smash Champion
Yo Brawl kiddies. Have fun at Apex and good luck with your pools and brackets.

Also Melee kids, **** face and continue being awesome.

On another note, the Smash Apartment/Abandoned Arena51 Apartment is now gone, but alas we have a new apartment. The only problem is that we wont be able to have as big as smashfests as we use to cause we have this angry asian neighbor that got mad at us on our first day moving in cause we were loud.

And by loud i mean we were like normal.

Foy

Smash Champion
Doesn't mean we can have smashfests, its just that we either need to

A.) Duct tape our mouths shut for the entirety of the smashfest.
B.)Either Ghetto rig the one wall of our apartment with eggcartons or cupholders, for dropped $400 to get sound proof stuff.
C.) Scare off the neighbor and/or blame him for selling kids cocaine at 800% increase of street price.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Goggles I could disagree more with your pool results
FFS. It's I COULDN'T disagree more with your pool results.

The saying is suppossed to mean, you disagree SO MUCH, that it isn't humanly possible to disagree more.

I see that mistake so often x_x.

inb4troll.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I've heard of attila before, dunno his main tho
About Kenny, theres like 3 smashers named kenny, and I dont know which one that is. if its azure-kenny you dont have much to worry about, if its k9 you might be in trouble.
Goggles I could disagree more with your pool results
Theyre just guesses, I made no guarantees
FFS. It's I COULDN'T disagree more with your pool results.

The saying is suppossed to mean, you disagree SO MUCH, that it isn't humanly possible to disagree more.

I see that mistake so often x_x.

inb4troll.

yea, even though ive been on swf for so long it still bothers me when people mess up grammar.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman

On another note, the Smash Apartment/Abandoned Arena51 Apartment is now gone, but alas we have a new apartment. The only problem is that we wont be able to have as big as smashfests as we use to cause we have this angry asian neighbor that got mad at us on our first day moving in cause we were loud.

Text me the address so I can hang out there some time soon, I'm back up in Rochester for the next couple weeks.

huMps

Smash Ace

I guess I can't come then, cuz I am so fuking LOUOOUOUOUOUOUDDDDD!!! lol
Is it in henrietta still?

Foy

Smash Champion
Si senor. Basically throw me a text before hand whenever you guys are feeling the urge to stomped on in smash. :D

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
For those of you who havent been keeping up.

San was invited into the Apex east coast vs west coast crew battles (i believe because shugo didnt show and san replaced him)

He took 2 stocks off ultimate razor than 2 stocks of dehf

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it got the job done so its whatever...

im more confused as to why neil is teaming with a dude (bardull) that got 3 stocked by ksizzle in crews.

huMps

Smash Ace
Si senor. Basically throw me a text before hand whenever you guys are feeling the urge to stomped on in smash. :D
Cool i'll do that

But your captain is trash lol. And heros of time are cooler than bounty hunters, you can look it up. It's science.

Top Bottom