• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Hell yah. Brood putting in work. I'm impressed by an olimar for the first time.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Word, Brood was workin' Lee Martin.

Rain seems like he was losing his game later on though.

I couldn't watch Rain vs. Ally or anything past it because of life stuff. Can't wait for it to be uploaded onto youtube :/

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Olimar vs falcon grand finals at a national is not somethih I was expecting

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
But definitely more interesting probably.

I would have hoped for a Ness v. Captain Falcon Grand Final, but everyone's entitled to dream. But seriously, Brood adapted so well to M2K. He picked up his strategy and was able to capitalize better than anyone. I watched the whole set, great stuff altogether.

1337, it's all good man. Goggles is right about the low end character crap too. It's work to use a 'garbage' character. Shaky's proven they can win big (or at least do really well), as well as San, getting 9th with Ike (Congrats man, nice job). Just got to practice and keep going at it. You have the ability to say you went there and got to see it, something many people can't say they did.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Ness has specific problems that require you keep yourself on-edge too, like grab release. Not even marth combos, but... yikes. Anyways-

On a random note, I was toying with some lucario effects through hax, got one that turned lucario's voice off when it went on, for some reason. I have to say, without audio cue, lucario's gotta move up like, a full tier. Those attacks just seem to fly out of nowhere silent, yeesh. Okay, I exaggerate, but I have a hard time dealing without the HRRRRUUGGH, HAAAAAA, HRRREAAAAA.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
JUST SO YALL KNOW

I WILL be playing a LOT more falco now, I WILL be perfecting my bdacus, I WILL be perfecting my ledge run off double lazers and ledgehop double lasers, I WILL be tightening up my IAP, and I will be giving nigz the straight ****.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
On how to beat falco?
MK dair. MK dair doesn't solve your problem? You're bad.

Also, holy ****, I just pulled off the DK GFSC in training *twice.*
footstool headbutt 9-punch. OH LAWD

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I can Already BDacus and Ledge laser.

For some reason I just don't like playing Falco. I used to for MK, but not anymore.

I actually have lost a bit of my BDacus ability though.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
brood is insanely good, as are all the japanese. They mind****ed this tourney hard.
Word, but Rain was so overhyped, he overshadowed Brood, who was clearly better than him.

Edit: Also, Rain said he travels 6 HOURS on average for a brawl tournament.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
brood is not CLEARLY better than rain. you cant judge the overall skill of two people in that situation from one tourney. rain got the hype because he pretty much gives brood the consistent **** when they play, and rain has more consistent placings in their tourneys which is why hes ranked first in the country.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Just wonderin- we planning any stuff for september/october up in there, yet?

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Rain also probably had a bit of a tougher time because everyone is so accustomed to MK. I don't know how popular he is in Japan, but in the states we all know you can't walk more than 3 feet without meeting someone who plays MK. Olimar is definitely one of the most underused high-end characters in Brawl without question - No one was really prepared for an Olimar of that caliber. Give the dude credit though, Rain got to brackets and did very well in what some may view as the Smash Olympics.

I still think the coolest thing I saw was BigLou stage spike a Falco with a misfire Luigi missile for the win in some random money match.

And SHETH, what exactly do you mean by 'grab-release problems'? I am still not really that well-versed in Smashtalk. Like they kept saying DI in every single match, I don't know what it is or how to do it >_> Help a guy out.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
brood is not CLEARLY better than rain. you cant judge the overall skill of two people in that situation from one tourney. rain got the hype because he pretty much gives brood the consistent **** when they play, and rain has more consistent placings in their tourneys which is why hes ranked first in the country.
I can some what agree to this. Its up in the air who is better. While rain plays more consistent and probably beats brood locally when they came U.S with whole different play styles and people. brood obviously came out on top. But 1 tournament cant determine whose better . At the same time. Rain lost to both ally and lee. Players brood beat. and the again brood also lost to chibo 2-0 in pools. So i cant really say whose better. But i think brood is better in my personally opinion.

JUST SO YALL KNOW

I WILL be playing a LOT more falco now, I WILL be perfecting my bdacus, I WILL be perfecting my ledge run off double lazers and ledgehop double lasers, I WILL be tightening up my IAP, and I will be giving nigz the straight ****.
Good, Now you can stop playing that ****ty sonic and maybe start winning.
and another good, because falco is easier for me.

Just wonderin- we planning any stuff for september/october up in there, yet?
Im planning a tournament for october 9th.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
October 9th in Syracuse? I may be able to go - Although apparently it's the UB 'Family Weekend', but what my family is doing for it is still up in the air, and if I don't make plans to go to Canada to see some friends, I'll probably be able to attend. Anyone know Amtrak rates off hand?

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Grab release problem being that they might start a combo, even if it's not another grab, when they release you.

I think the figure is:
Every non-earthbound character regains control when they break out of a grab after 30 frames (half a second), while ness and lucas regain control after 40. So while marth's grab range and grab speed are good enough that he can just regrab you, other characters might release you just to hit you. Wario has the opposite problem, I think, where his ground release is fine but his air release is all like "please hit me."

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Idk pr will be updated as soon as i get everyones win loss results from apex.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
BTW, what will the PR theme actually be?
I still say Sailor Moon, a good idea suggested by my girlfriend. I can probably find some computer geek at my college that could design a PR theme easily if nobody can make it.

Idk pr will be updated as soon as i get everyones win loss results from apex.

Looking forward to see how the next PR stand. I'm hoping I'm top 5 or at least top 6. I'm only gonna get better from here but college is going to consume a lot of my time.

=/

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I can some what agree to this. Its up in the air who is better. While rain plays more consistent and probably beats brood locally when they came U.S with whole different play styles and people. brood obviously came out on top. But 1 tournament cant determine whose better . At the same time. Rain lost to both ally and lee. Players brood beat. and the again brood also lost to chibo 2-0 in pools. So i cant really say whose better. But i think brood is better in my personally opinion.
I also beat Rain in a $5 MM

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Grab release problem being that they might start a combo, even if it's not another grab, when they release you.

I think the figure is:
Every non-earthbound character regains control when they break out of a grab after 30 frames (half a second), while ness and lucas regain control after 40. So while marth's grab range and grab speed are good enough that he can just regrab you, other characters might release you just to hit you. Wario has the opposite problem, I think, where his ground release is fine but his air release is all like "please hit me."
I believe Jigglypuff suffers as much as Wario when it comes to air releases too. I could be wrong, but not even all characters can grab release Wario to something. For ex: Metaknight can't force an air release to get a chance to grab release.

I think maybe if you mash you can get an air release as Ness. Not sure, I don't play as him enough anymore.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I agree with the Sailor Moon idea.

Also, I don't know what the tournament for Oct. 9th will be like, all I know is that I'm going to win :3.

I'll be playing Brawl in nearly ALL of my free time, until school starts, in which I'll only be playing in most of my free time. Lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Was that the one where he ran XD?
Yea, it's a confusing situation. Game 1 I beat his MK solidly, game 2 I went toe to toe with his Falco but barely lost, and game 3 I semi-gimped/he-SD'd first stock so I was up by a full stock ROB vs MK. One of the other Japanese players then told him Brood was about to play someone (I think DEHF in winners?) and he forfeited and gave me the money. Considering the game was being played prior to knowing about Brood and I was already up a full stock vs his MK and my performance vs it game 1, I'm 100% confident I would have won. I really wish it didn't end like that though and I asked him after Brood was done (well asked SneakyTako who asked him) if he wanted to redo game 3 and he didn't want to.

Did you really just name search your self.
Yea get @ me lol

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I play 3rd strike but i dont have the game/system nor do i have arcade sticks lol

Top Bottom