• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Yo mana fest at my place this weekend I know beta and erk are coming and I'm down for some melée as well. You and Jeff can crash here if you need.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
ZSS ain't that gimmicky. She's pretty solid because she has a lot of good options that are hard for you to deal with pre-emptively, and are mad fast to react to. At least in my opinion. She's a really patient character, so I'd say that's her main element of risk. You gotta keep good pressure and not let them feel like they can rest.

Though, honest question; ZSS seems like she's better fit when there's less platforms, than more. Like, FD over battlefield, amirite? Just want an opinion, since I don't really know all that much about the ZSS player community.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ sheth, ZSSs up air is like her best move, so you ALWAYS want the other guy to be above you, thus platforms on a stage are always better.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nice. Lots of people that had a chance on the pr just haven't been to enough tourneys I guess.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I lol'd so hard when I saw the new PR. GET AT SAN.

In other news I've been wicked inactive lately and Cura has tried contacting me on multiple occasions but it always seems to be when I'm at work and when I get home he isn't on. . . I've missed the past two smashfest and that leads me to make an announcement.

As far as smash goes I feel like I've hit a brick wall and I don't really know where to go with it. Wifi doesn't help me at all in my opinion and whenever I try to sit down and play smash seriously I just lose interest lately. I originally got into smash because I was having fun playing and improving and now its just meh.

I also promised myself that I'd take a year off of college then go back and here it has been two so unfortunately I'm going to be trying to make a better effort to get back to college which means saving more money then I have been. I want to get back part time by fall '11 and full time spring '12. I have to pay for five credits before I can get financial aid due to my extenuating family circumstances. (FAFSA and TAP BS and my weird circumstances that make me an independent student according to fafsa but not tap). As such I will be picking up a second job shortly one that I already have lined up.

I would like to go to any major syracuse events and rochester events if I can get a ride since I will no longer be making trips out to rochester. I need to have repairs done on my car since I was finally able to get a diagnostics done on my car last weekend from money I had managed to save up and it appears that I need some substantial repairs done to my car that will cost about $1000. I spoke to the mechanic and he assured me that my car is fine to drive to work but I should avoid any extra driving especially long distance while I save up money to get the repairs done. I need repairs done on my breaks and my exhaust system.

As such I wont be able to make any events until september.

This is not me quitting smash, its just me slowing down somewhat. Its unfortunate since I wanted to improve my smash related skills but I feel that I need to get my priorities straight at this point as far as my future and my livelihood goes.

Hopefully when I get back into college I'll be able to play seriously again, (but not at the expense of college of course), but this year I intend to lay off smashing somewhat and focus more on work. =s

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Play melee at all? I think learning / playing both games makes you better at both in some aspects. Of course at top level you can't consistently do it (m2k), but I feel there are lots of viable strats in both games you can take from playing and apply in each.

that or just taking a long break. realize being better is mostly mental in brawl, outplaying your opponent is soooo important. in melee its like you have to be this *sets a high bar* technical to compete with someone considered pro.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Play melee at all? I think learning / playing both games makes you better at both in some aspects. Of course at top level you can't consistently do it (m2k), but I feel there are lots of viable strats in both games you can take from playing and apply in each.

that or just taking a long break. realize being better is mostly mental in brawl, outplaying your opponent is soooo important. in melee its like you have to be this *sets a high bar* technical to compete with someone considered pro.
Playing Brawl made me more patient and gave me better spacing in Melee.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I'd be more inclined to play Melee if Ness wasn't as terrible. I used Luigi in Melee in the pre-Brawl days, but Luigi isn't that much fun for me anymore. Mewtwo is fun in Melee as well. I remember when he was bottom of the tier list and I was like 'whaaaaat?'. Now they realize that the character that does damage to himself is the worst character in the game.

Beating people with Pichu is always a rewarding feeling nevertheless.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
PR looks nice, but should've been in a location more like 1337-0's. It's not easy to read, lol.

It's also funny that nobody in our PR mains a top 4 character until MOSS.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
There's way too much pressure in using a high tiered character. I feel like I have to be good because of who I use. Like for a while back I was really into using Diddy Kong but once I saw his tier placement I haven't played him since. I don't think many others here have a similar mindset, but it was the first reason I could think of.

Besides, Ness is much cooler (and more impractical). I remember in the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for Melee Ness was given a 'usefulness' rating of 1 of 5, the only character to have that rating in that category. The Lowest rating in that category.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I dont believe that stuff. In the brawl strategy guide i think they have falcons overall skill in the game is like 8 out of 10. Lol

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Also the only thing i dont like about the pr. Is that i have to share with snakeee lol. My section im refferring to.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
So, does anyone else read "Cura" as something else, in this font? Just saying. I think it's one of MK's taunts, too.
</roundabout>

So yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of DK ledge tricks. Get at me using them in improper situations all the time in fall.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I dont believe that stuff. In the brawl strategy guide i think they have falcons overall skill in the game is like 8 out of 10. Lol
Lol I guess Nintendo just assumes Captain Falcon is beast by default.

I'm really surprised that despite his popularity from Smash Bros., they haven't made a non-racing game featuring him. I mean, the dude's a bounty hunter. It'd make for an awesome platformer, just Falcon Punching criminals and showing them his moves. I mean, I would buy it.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Probably because 5 out of 10 people who play competitive Smash play MK. You should look at Canadian Brawl Results. It's pretty much all MK. No one below the A tier places well.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
MK got 5/10 XD.
Nintendo doesn't know bout my additional aerial is down, press it while I'm jumpin up, then press the B button like I don't give a ****.

-Nado will be over there, nado will be over there

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Bah. Your changes do not accurately represent my sentiments.

Vibe, Yeah, NYS kind of goes against the tide of everywhere else in the world it would seem. Our top player is an Ike main who placed 9th at a Global Tournament. I don't think there was another Ike main anywhere close to that. And I don't think anyone else that went below the D Tier actually won anything in brackets.

x13mako

Smash Ace
Bah. Your changes do not accurately represent my sentiments.
I was changing your statement to where it was a correct statement.
Vibe, Yeah, NYS kind of goes against the tide of everywhere else in the world it would seem. Ya, what's wrong with us? Our top player is an Ike main Actually our top player is Ike who placed 9th at a Global Tournament. Ew. I don't think there was another Ike main anywhere close to that. And I don't think anyone else that went below the D Tier actually won anything in brackets.
Comments in bold.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Only one way to fix that :p

Coming back to this region in a few weeks, expect more smashers from Binghamton!
What's a pr?
I would just like to point out that tommygreenshirt, is a brawl player. Lives in Binghamton, AND has a car. AND is willing to transport people to and from tournaments as long as its not rediculously far out of his way.

Having a working car in this region is more valuable then diamonds, id say.

look down
its a ride to that tournament youd love to go to
Look up at tommy,
now back down,
the ride is now DIAMONDS.

tommygreenshirt, the smasher friend your smasher friend COULD be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

Top Bottom