• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
Now don't hate me for this Dudu, but I was almost certain that you would immediately pick up brawl and be good at it because you're a puff main. Is it different enough in brawl that you're still adapting?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Why would I hate you for thinking I'm a better player than I am? xD

Brawl is really different, and my approach is seeing it as a completely new game. I think I've got a lot of the basics down, but in comparison to other people I still suck.

EDIT: I'm really slow on adaptation mid-match. If anything, Brawl has shown me how much better high level Brawlers are than me at adapting to playstyles. It actually scares me a bit because I think how dwarfed I would be if all of them switched over to Melee.

huMps

Smash Ace
any smash at the apartment tonight? I don't want to have to drive to syracuse tomorrow but I need to play some smash this weekend.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
can anyone link me to a smash scene near Albany... I think that is the place closet towards where i live (near white plains) I haven't played smash since living in Florida and would like to maybe drive somewhere to play with some people.

Sharky

Smash Master
white plains is definitely closer to NYC

edit: 13370 IF YOU ARE STILL PLANNING ON GOING TO APEX YOU NEED TO REGISTER BY TONIGHT AT 11:59PM!!!!!

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
can anyone link me to a smash scene near Albany... I think that is the place closet towards where i live (near white plains) I haven't played smash since living in Florida and would like to maybe drive somewhere to play with some people.
I'm the only good brawl player near Albany, as of right now. Unless your including Saratoga which is about a half an hour away, which also only has 1 player.

I'm actually Troy anyways. But Snakeee actually goes to Suny Albany.

I'm always up for smashing with random people, and I think there are a bunch of melee kids in Troy during the RPI school year.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Haha I can't really blame you - generally speaking the stereotypical 'Long Islander' isn't exactly the most worldly, much less stately of a person. Self-centered and pretty disinterested in anything that doesn't involve the latest trends and blackberry phones.

I guess it's because to the downstate people everything pretty much is up from us, hence upstate. I try not to be too much of an islander - Kids I met at my Buffalo orientation said I didn't have too noticeable an accent :D

huMps

Smash Ace
any rochestarian melee players want to go up to cuse with me tomorrow for cura's smash fest? if you could just bring cash for the tolls that would be cool I dont need any gas money.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
We have brawl players at RPI also. It's more Brawl than Melee right now, actually, although I plan on changing that.

Just wait, RPI's gonna be a smash powerhouse, and I'm gonna lol so hard when it happens.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
N64, Artery Clogger, and Kwan used to all go there.

And Questor is the dude who trained the smash genius Irish Mafia, so we can expect good things.

Actually Binghamton's got this. Our Melee is great, but nobody here likes traveling.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
Hey Bak did u ever sign up for Apex? I'm cuz im still needing an doubles partner in Melee. I've signed up and all but i still need ride sorta. How are u guys at the apt getting there?

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
N64, Artery Clogger, and Kwan used to all go there.

And Questor is the dude who trained the smash genius Irish Mafia, so we can expect good things.
I played Kwan and N64 before :3

Edit: Also, I just lost to YoshQ in a Marth ditto tourney now. I'm pretty disspointed, so i'm going to be spending a lot of time on brawl for the next week. If anyone wants to wifi, i'm game. Hit me up on AIM.

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Lastly, I will be changing my tag when the summer is over to mark this summer's improvement (and because some Sheik player has the same tag lol)

To complete my training night here are some videos I feel point out the differences in various Sheik player's playing styles. The list is in descending order from highest skill level to lowest skill level. Share your opinions if you'd like.

M2K (Sheik) vs Lucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg-5V3ru2ec

Amsah (Nihonjin) (Sheik) vs M2K (Sheik)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjv3DPpewfQ&feature=related

KirbyKaze vs RayneX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11-LjLD4bw

Jesiah_TEG vs Pikapika! (Sheik) (Neil when he's on is so much better than this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzSOIY-EhPg

Spam (not me) (Sheik) vs Jash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClWFU0rpdk

Pyro vs Apex (Sheik)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGq-8-YYj4

Spam (me) (Sheik) vs Mavem
(This video is my first recorded match and I think marks where I started and I think it illustrates how differently I play now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVYIsHGrdSE

<3

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Hey Bak did u ever sign up for Apex? I'm cuz im still needing an doubles partner in Melee. I've signed up and all but i still need ride sorta. How are u guys at the apt getting there?
Neil should be going now I'm sure he would be happy to team with you. He is also driving there with a few people this is all new so I'm sure there is room.

Why is it so late/early? Jeez...even Foy and Jesse went to bed before me...

PS: I met Humps finally, he was a chill guy. I told him to go to you for Link advice. :)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
oh god, you found that old video of me vs my friend last summer LOL. if you want some really good shiek players to watch, check out teczer0 and kirbykaze. they pretty much lay out how shiek plays right now. also, i'm planning on writing something up later on playing in NJ vs rochester so keep an eye out for that.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Sure is melee in here.
So what's the summer been, I heard SS3 went over real good. I'm bad again, get @ me for JV 3stocks in september.

-Get at me for real matches by october when I've recovered.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
a) SWF has a strict policy on drug use lol

b) way to post a match of Jesse vs Neil that's two years old lol. (Although I think that's some of the last recorded footage of Neil actually beating Jesse)

c) I eat Neil for breakfast (oh yea)

d) @ Neil: I am out for your blood, best not meet me in brackets.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Welcome to Pyro's analysis of smash post.

I've been playing Melee competitively since last summer. Since then I've been learning how each person plays, how each region plays, and what to do differently with my skill to win.

Everyone in WNY knows me as that kid that plays Roy and Zelda in tournament and never really places particularly high (at least that's what I suppose). I'll pull out a new high tier main for each tournament, and each time get ***** hard when I use it. Probably a bad thing.

So I'm in NJ right now, next week is apex, and last night, I had some kind of break through after talking with some top players (mainly zhu).

When I played in Rochester, I knew and still do know, that everyone tries to play exactly like Jesse. There are a few exceptions of people that play differently, but overall, everyone has the same style. This isn't a bad thing, because Jesse is a good player, and there's nothing wrong with trying to play like him. But in general, our region is really easy to read.

Now I came home, and I've played against a long list of really good players, and another list of players at about my skill level. The huge problem I'm having however, is that I can **** everyone at my skill level. And can't get anything done against people of a higher skill level. So what does that mean? Well, unfortunately not much. I was telling myself for a while that I just need to get better. I just needed to learn how to read my opponent better, and then i'd be doing fine. Well, I still think that. Reading is the second biggest thing in this game next to spacing. But I've decided something new about my play style that's going to have to change.

I was driving zhu around NJ yesterday, and in that time we just chatted for a while, he put up with my incessant fanboyism and my overall awkward chattiness. But one of the things that stood out through our whole chat was when he told me about how he started playing. He told me how he used to play a whole bunch of characters, and that at his first tourney he placed really well doing random stupid stuff. I thought it was really cool how he was just naturally talented. But when he told me that playing characters like samus, ICs, and others was holding him back, I was kind of surprised. He said that after he started playing falco as his main, he was able to go back and play his alternates so much better just because he'd been playing a character that was easier.
He put it into what he called layers:
the first layer is knowing the situation
the second layer is knowing how to respond and attack back from a certain situation
the third and more layers are what to follow up with after the attack

When he would play a higher tier character, it gives more options, allowing for you to get to the 3+ layers way more often. But when you go back to a low tier, you understand the situation a lot easier and are able to get to all of the layers easier.

Essentially what all that layer stuff means, is if you play a better character, you can spend less time thinking about reading, and more time doing the right thing. When you play a low tier character, you have to spend more time trying to get into the position where your best option is available to use. So when you play that high tier character, analysis of a situation, knowing how to respond, and continuing to **** comes much more naturally. Then when you go to a low tier, you think so much clearer, and you understand everything much easier.

So if you're still with me and reading this, you may have already jumped to the conclusion that I will be switching my main. You're close. I'm not switching my main, I will always consider myself a low tier main. But at least for the time being, I will be playing marth. I will be trying to make myself better, in order to make my Roy better. I will always feel that playing low tiers are the most fun part of the game, yet I have this burning need to get better, and if I don't exert all my options at getting better I won't be able to play my Roy at my highest possible skill level.

So thank you for reading this, and for those of you still going to apex, I'll see you there, and for the rest of you, I'll see you in the fall hopefully.

:roymelee:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I hope pyro comes back and gives me the ****.

matter of fact, I hope he comes back and stomps EVERYONE out.

i mean, I wish everyone would beat me at melee, since that would mean that youre actually good at the game, but pyro especially, just because he knows where the fun is in this game.

if I hadnt put 3-4 years into doc and ganon, Id probably be maining Gwatch/YLink by now.

Top Bottom