• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I have a few proposals that I'm going to actually release to the public after the meeting if given approval to gauge their opinions. I've already spoken to a few prominent TO's about them, and have gotten positive reception.

The real litmus test of scrutiny imo is gonna have to see if it makes it past the rage crew lol
If it satisfies them, it'll satisfy anybody ><

Judo777

Smash Master
Nothing is wrong with it.
False. Norfair is just too freaking big. Catching people can be impossible. The lava is the only reason the stage is even close to being legal. I love this stage a lot (made a long thread on it ages ago) but now I realize that the stage just can't work.....

Overswarm

is laughing at you
False. Norfair is just too freaking big. Catching people can be impossible. The lava is the only reason the stage is even close to being legal. I love this stage a lot (made a long thread on it ages ago) but now I realize that the stage just can't work.....
I've never had trouble catching people, including Blue Rogue and Krystedez. o_O

Granted, I play MK.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I have never had trouble catching any character not named Metaknight, Sonic or Pit on Norfair.

Granted I play Ganondorf.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Use a faster character. I've used Ike against Sonic on Norfair and didn't have this problem.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario would run circles around Ike on this stage. Use a faster character isn't a counter argument if it feeds itself in a cycle and at the top there's not really a counter to it, but just a "variety" of characters being mobile (Wario in the air, MK for getting around platforms smoothly, G&W for being a mix, pika for being a dork, etc)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*wonders what is going on in there since I left*

So, Xyro, what are the possibilities for the new coaching rule? I don't think there is a problem with the current one, and I honestly don't see how you can make it better.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So, what I'm getting from DMG is that "boils down to a handful of characters" is the new "boils down to dittos"?

Since when have we ever banned anything for boiling down the gameplay to a handful of characters? Top tier is a handful of characters (if you don't put MK in his own tier). So what if most characters aren't viable on Norfair? Are three or more characters viable? Is there some sort of RPS? If so, don't ban.

It's as simple as that. Judo's / DMG's posts sound an awful lot like "I have problems on this stage, so it must be banworthy". ...which is funny, since DMG plays Wario.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I honestly feel like Norfair would be utter **** if it didn't have lava. I don't know why it's still unviable in its current state (with lava), though.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What do stages such as Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise really have to offer in terms of diversity?
What do characters like metaknight really have to offer in terms of diversity?

:| you take out RC an brinstar and my statement stands..

Take out MK and your statement can be argued that RC/Brinstar provide some good CPs for characters with no 1 character dominating on them.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Because it accomplishes the opposite of what a good rules set does. You should open and diversify the meta as much as possible while keeping the game in a healthy state, not reduce it down to a strict play style with little divergence.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
We should strive for our rulesets to be as competitive as possible.
The more effectively different scenarios something has, the more competitive it is.
Preserving as much of the game as possible creates more effectively different scenarios.

Do we really have to go over this again?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Because it accomplishes the opposite of what a good rules set does. You should open and diversify the meta as much as possible while keeping the game in a healthy state, not reduce it down to a strict play style with little divergence.
So by saying this you're implying that USA>Japan pretty much cause they don't play on certain stages that USA does?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So by saying this you're implying that USA>Japan pretty much cause they don't play on certain stages that USA does?
No, you should start by not trying to read so hard for subliminal messages in a post that don't even exist.

Are serious about how Brinstar and RC don't add diversity...

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I am saying that USA has better rules (though I'd hesitate to say USA has good rules).

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Depends on how you define "the game". We probably adapt to stages better and have a better grasp at spacing, but Japan's stage choice seems designed to force combat so they're probably better at fighting. However, if items were turned on since we adapt better we'd probably have the advantage. In this case better is subject to rules assumptions. Though I'm also making a lot of assumptions and this post is blind theorycraft.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Usually, but Brawl isn't only about fighting. It's also about recovering, and in order to test the amount of skill players have at recovering, you'd need a diverse set of recovery conditions...

...which is why you need stage diversity. Jeez, it's not hard.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
That and with the way Smash is structured not all fighting is face to face confrontation anyway, positioning and controlling space are important to Smash but Japan's stage list doesn't emphasize this. There are definitely disadvantages to learning the game in such a restricted way.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Usually, but Brawl isn't only about fighting. It's also about recovering, and in order to test the amount of skill players have at recovering, you'd need a diverse set of recovery conditions...

...which is why you need stage diversity. Jeez, it's not hard.
This also goes back to my point of mk on RC. Is that the type of diversity you want?

edit Ben what disadvantages are associated with playing like that?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That and with the way Smash is structured not all fighting is face to face confrontation anyway, positioning and controlling space are important to Smash but Japan's stage list doesn't emphasize this. There are definitely disadvantages to learning the game in such a restricted way.
Only when they take it international.

D

Deleted member

@Ankoku, the BBR-RC shot down Norfair discussion. I'm sure if they actually discussed it, the stage would be legal.

Twinkie needs to get in there...

Top Bottom