• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Bull****. I already do all of those things, you ******** *******. If you can find a way to prove anything with a resume I'm all ears. I'm sure they get 1,000 resumes from incompetent beggars that are just outright lies. I've had people look mine over. It's not going to get better unless I fill it with lies. Of course after every failed interview I call/email and ask what I did wrong. They won't tell me.

I love how you freely admit that whether or not you get a job is contingent on matching the cost of the suit you own with your employer. ******** ******* bull****.

Oh lord. You prolly think the Holocaust was the Jews' fault.
Since you're being so mean, I will be blunt. You have a very weak, wimpy and immature atitude, blaming everyone else instead of looking at what you should do to better you chances. The reality is that getting a job is difficult, but it is doable. You are not going to sit there and tell me that you were perfect on your last couple of interviews.

Do you have a suit and tie? Are you dressing as professionally as possible? How well are you answering their questions? What kind of questions do you ask them? These are all things that you should continue to improve on.

As for your resume, you should always revise it. The entire point of giving the interviewer your list of references(hopefully you are doing this) is to prove that what's on your resume is true. And unless you don't know what you're doing, in most cases it's not a matter of you doing something wrong so much as it other people doing something right or better than you. Keep improving, it's like smash! After you lose a match, you learn from it and improve for the rematch.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
You should also learn as much about the company and it's policies as possible before interviews.

I've never has a "proper" job as such so my knowledge on this subject is limited.

Hurray for family business.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You should also learn as much about the company and it's policies as possible before interviews.

I've never has a "proper" job as such so my knowledge on this subject is limited.

Hurray for family business.
You actually reminded me. Most people get jobs because they know someone. For instance, if your brother is friends with a manager of someplace, he can put in a good word for you. That's how you get your foot in the door most times. You might think that people get jobs based on how they present themselves, but to be honest, it can just as often be a simple acquaintance who has the "hookup." Try that.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
You actually reminded me. Most people get jobs because they know someone. For instance, if your brother is friends with a manager of someplace, he can put in a good word for you. That's how you get your foot in the door most times. You might think that people get jobs based on how they present themselves, but to be honest, it can just as often be a simple acquaintance who has the "hookup." Try that.
I would like to think that is only true in the beginning. Like when you've never actually worked in the field before, then you may need to know someone for a connection before getting a job. But once you actually have experience, getting a job should be a lot easier.

I should probably talk about this after I find out if I got that job I interviewed for or not.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I would like to think that is only true in the beginning. Like when you've never actually worked in the field before, then you may need to know someone for a connection before getting a job. But once you actually have experience, getting a job should be a lot easier.

I should probably talk about this after I find out if I got that job I interviewed for or not.
I would like to think so too, but I'm 18, and all the jobs I've had but one are from my father. Granted, I'm young with little experience. But it always helps to have a connection.

Smash Master
Since you're being so mean, I will be blunt. You have a very weak, wimpy and immature atitude, blaming everyone else instead of looking at what you should do to better you chances.
Two weeks ago I bled for 40 minutes until I was dizzy and lost feeling in one hand. Nobody else knows. I guess I should just stop doing that right? That's my failure, right? I can do better than that, right? (And no I didn't ****ing cut myself you pretentious *******.)

Nobody else knows. I walked out of the bathroom and acted like nothing happened. Weak and wimpy. It's frustrating how you act like you know me better than I do.

I'm not perfect, but I can't be better. I've been exceeding my potential and running on fumes for years.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Two weeks ago I bled for 40 minutes until I was dizzy and lost feeling in one hand. Nobody else knows. I guess I should just stop doing that right? That's my failure, right? I can do better than that, right?

Nobody else knows. I walked out of the bathroom and acted like nothing happened. Weak and wimpy. It's frustrating how you act like you know me better than I do.
Well isn't it kinda your fault for not calling 911? How did you get cut in the first place? Yes you should stop doing that. Call for help instead of bleeding for 40 minutes.

I don't know you at all, but from your attitude and childish reaction it's easy to infer some characteristics about you. Do better, learn. Aside from sheer luck it's the only way you're going to land a job.

Smash Master
Look at my edits, then look at the posts below mine. It's like I'm psychic, although I guess that can be faked.
Eh, I'm fine now. I can't waste money calling 911 when I'm not going to die. I think I judged it quite cleverly. My point is a weak and wimpy person would have freaked out.

See do better/learn isn't helpful when the task to be completed is impossible. Hence, the 'its-the-jews-fault' quip. They can't not get ovened no matter what they do, and I can't get a job without networking/aptitude tests no matter what. Although, I'm deadset on proving that by applying to 500 places and making followups like a full-time job. I write a personal cover letter almost every time. My phone is always available. I even sleep with it next to me. I've only had 5 interviews, although I express interest every time they ask for one. It just feels like it can't be done. I'm looking local and out of state. I'm not applying for jobs I'm not qualified for. The common sense basics I've got down pat. (Shaving, showering, talking on the phone like I never need coffee.) I guess what most angered me is the suggestion that the reason I'm unemployed is because I'm some lazy, incompetent slob who doesn't know how to tie a tie or write a resume.

As for how I got cut, it's part of being me. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I shouldn't have lashed out. I was looking to vent, not seek advice. There's a job forum for that.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This is very true, at least from my experience that is, in the past I've gone out to look for a job several times, I also did everything how I was suppose to, the employers would often say "we'll call you" never to be heard from again.

On the other hand the last job I landed on was because of my brother who personally knew someone within, the same happened with my current job, apperantly it takes someone to know one just to land a job, it's perplexing to say the least.

:phone:

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
This is very true, at least from my experience that is, in the past I've gone out to look for a job several times, I also did everything how I was suppose to, the employers would often say "we'll call you" never to be heard from again.

On the other hand the last job I landed on was because of my brother who personally knew someone within, the same happened with my current job, apperantly it takes someone to know one just to land a job, it's perplexing to say the least.

Are you kidding? I hit that on the head. I totally said, "If your brother is friends with someone..." But yeah, it's all about networking these days. Well, for the most part. In addition, people simply aren't hiring. Times are hard. Perhaps it's a time for inner reflection, as well.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Look at my edits, then look at the posts below mine. It's like I'm psychic, although I guess that can be faked.
Eh, I'm fine now. I can't waste money calling 911 when I'm not going to die. I think I judged it quite cleverly. My point is a weak and wimpy person would have freaked out.

See do better/learn isn't helpful when the task to be completed is impossible. Hence, the 'its-the-jews-fault' quip. They can't not get ovened no matter what they do, and I can't get a job without networking/aptitude tests no matter what. Although, I'm deadset on proving that by applying to 500 places and making followups like a full-time job. I write a personal cover letter almost every time. My phone is always available. I even sleep with it next to me. I've only had 5 interviews, although I express interest every time they ask for one. It just feels like it can't be done.
Physical sensation and mental frustration are hardly comparable. Just because you can endure some pain doesn't mean you don't have a wimpy or immature attitude. And ''it's impossible to get a job''? How old are you? That is a such a weak minded attitude. I like how you didn't answer my questions. You're not beyond being helped by the rest of us.

Do you have your resume online yet? On Monster or Craig's list? Do you have any professional experience in your field? Because you may just be aiming too high.

In a related rant. I'm waiting for my interviewer or recruiter to get back to me on if I got that position or not. They've already(I was informed fortunately) pushed the decision date a week and half later. Hopefully they'll stick to there word this time and let me know by tomorrow. *sighs* fingers crossed!

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I have cried twice this year.

One of which I don't want to talk about.

The other was in my bed an hour or so after coming out to one of my best friends.(They were tears of joy though)

The last time before that was like 6 years ago when Dimebag Darrell died.

Getting your feelings out is really important.
Yeah you're probably right. I think guys are cry twice a year on average (though most won't admit it). If it helps you deal with the situation, why not. However, I don't foresee myself crying again for a very long time. I don't like showing vulnerability and rarely get overwhelmed. I usually rationalize the situation and/or distance myself. I'm going to be a doctor in less than a year's time and, for my own sanity, crying isn't an option. Personally I couldn't manage difficult cases or deliver bad news or face bullying/difficult superiors if there was a chance I'd cry.

-----

I'd offer advice about job applications, but my first application failed hardcore. My supervisors thought I'd be a shoe-in for the job and I didn't even get an interview! I'm too scared to tell them. :laugh: What I've learned so far is that mindless insertion of keywords in white-space questions is important. And I didn't do it enough.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I don't know if it has to do with me being a guy, necessarily, and having grown up in this machismo culture, but there are times when I've felt like crying, and not a tear was shed. I don't even known if it's a vulnerability issue, really, or if I've simply grown very apathetic.

*shrug*

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I think I can be honest with myself when I say that I am not a weak person. But I actually cry a lot. I'll be watching a show or reading a manga and they'll be a touching(usually with some irony) moment that brings out my tears.

I like crying though, I used to be numb. It's nice to feel.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I cried from thinking about the Rx Bandits concert I went to a couple weeks ago. It was the ****ing greatest thing ever...tears of joy my friend :)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yeah a lot of places these days are about contacts but it's not impossible to get a job without it.

I got a job with no contacts and no previous work experience.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Bull****. I already do all of those things, you ******** *******. If you can find a way to prove anything with a resume I'm all ears. I'm sure they get 1,000 resumes from incompetent beggars that are just outright lies. I've had people look mine over. It's not going to get better unless I fill it with lies. Of course after every failed interview I call/email and ask what I did wrong. They won't tell me.

I love how you freely admit that whether or not you get a job is contingent on matching the cost of the suit you own with your employer. ******** ******* bull****.

And you know what? because it's so easy to lie, everybody hires from within. Your only hope is to know somebody personally. I don't have that luxury. The professors I assisted retired. My friends aren't employers, etc... So I just continue to beat my head against a wall everyday until hopefully one of 'em breaks, while you sit on the sidelines with your hookup, sippin' your lemonade telling me everything I should be doing better. I'm sick of it. **** you.

I've taken exactly one aptitude test. I got an interview from that.
Two weeks ago I bled for 40 minutes until I was dizzy and lost feeling in one hand. Nobody else knows. I guess I should just stop doing that right? That's my failure, right? I can do better than that, right? (And no I didn't ****ing cut myself you pretentious *******.)

I'm not perfect, but I can't be better. I've been exceeding my potential and running on fumes for years.

See do better/learn isn't helpful when the task to be completed is impossible. Hence, the 'its-the-jews-fault' quip. They can't not get ovened no matter what they do, and I can't get a job without networking/aptitude tests no matter what. Although, I'm deadset on proving that by applying to 500 places and making followups like a full-time job. I write a personal cover letter almost every time. My phone is always available. I even sleep with it next to me. I've only had 5 interviews, although I express interest every time they ask for one. It just feels like it can't be done. I'm looking local and out of state. I'm not applying for jobs I'm not qualified for. The common sense basics I've got down pat. (Shaving, showering, talking on the phone like I never need coffee.) I guess what most angered me is the suggestion that the reason I'm unemployed is because I'm some lazy, incompetent slob who doesn't know how to tie a tie or write a resume.

As for how I got cut, it's part of being me. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I shouldn't have lashed out. I was looking to vent, not seek advice. There's a job forum for that.
It's time for you to think what you're posting. Because Right now, you're doing it wrong.

RATED

Smash Lord
Why can't any of these employers offer aptitiude tests? I'd just spend all day taking them instead of all this other nonsensical bull**** which is getting me nowhere. I'm better at math than 99.9% of the country. Let me do some math for a living. How hard is that? Instead I have to somehow communicate on this piece of paper that I can do math (and programming, and etc...,) which is impossible. The best I can do is say I've passed a class with some impressive sounding title, which tells them next to nothing.

My situation shouldn't be this desperate. I'm good at what I do. I've prolly applied to over 500 places since I graduated. What gives?

And you know what? because it's so easy to lie, everybody hires from within. Your only hope is to know somebody personally. I don't have that luxury. The professors I assisted retired. My friends aren't employers, etc... So I just continue to beat my head against a wall everyday until hopefully one of 'em breaks, while you sit on the sidelines with your hookup, sippin' your lemonade telling me everything I should be doing better. I'm sick of it. **** you.

I've taken exactly one aptitude test. I got an interview from that.
let me help you a little bit:

1. Most employers look if your "personality, priorities, values ,etc" fit with their company's organizational culture.

2. There's different stuff in workplaces that employers look up, not just a "I was too good at college/school" diploma. Stuff like : how that person communicates, stands, little details like that and how they would fit with the culture of the company.

3. No one likes a cocky person.

4. Is not about what you know, is about how you use your knowledge for the good of the company.

Have a good day.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
You know, it's nights like these I wish there was a "The Mixed-Emotions" thread :p...

I'm about to move tomorrow... I'm no stranger to moving or travel and I can't stay in the same area for more than a few years, but there's still a tinge of sad to it.

I'm really excited and I have plenty of friends at my new residence, but I developed relationships back where I am now that I'm a little hesitant to break... I mean friends stay friends even over long distances, but I always feel weird not seeing the faces I used to see on a daily basis anymore. I always told myself to not get overly attached to a place so that when I move, it wont be so hard... but there's something about here that I'm actually going to miss.

So here I am: nervous, excited, ecstatic, and sad all at once. Philly, it's been real, but BRING ON THE FUTURE. :) :(

RATED

Smash Lord
<rant>
I'm so ****ING HUNGRY!!!!!!!! , there's like almost nothing to eat. My mom and I alternate cooking, today was her turn and she cooked a mix which included shrimp which... I can't eat. There's like nothing else to cook and I have no car so that I can't go to buy somewhere else since the fast food I have to walk like a lot and having to walk to an almost cliff. Over here in PR is like 1:13 am

<b>FML</b>

</rant>

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Actually, Avatar The Last Airbender watered my eyes a few times...

I kind of want to move, but I have to wait till college is over for me. Cleveland is alright, but I'd like to be in a cooler place. And I bet Arizona would have great winters...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm a huge fan of the series, so I'm making myself not watch the movie, ever, cause it'll depress me deeply. But yeah, the series is excellent. In my opinion, one of the best things to ever come from Nickelodeon.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm suppose to hear back from my interviewer today on if I got the job or not. I'm really nervous about it. This is really the step I need to start my career.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I was out partying with my friends late last night, we were all having a good time and all until one of my buddies got so wasted that he collapse in front of everybody, we ended up taking him to the ER and ended up going back home afterward, it sucks when things like that happens to your buddies, it was hilarious when he was drunk though, just before he passed out.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yeah I was playing football (soccer) while drunk last night.

I was running with a rum and coke in my hand and started to fall.

I twisted myself in such a way that I saved my drink, but took chunks out of the palm of my left hand/elbow.

Top Bottom