• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Living Legend - Solid Snake in Brawl+

NNID
Budget_Player
2 months? I'm disappointed.

Snake is my vBrawl main, so obviously I utterly failed at transitioning at first.

Has anyone tried using things like DC U/F/Dtilt as approaches? It seems like abusing that range with dash cancelling would be good...

Also, against juggling, what about pulling a grenade?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
You guys know that Ally swept the SNES Brawl+ tournament right? I fought him... With Falco. It was literally his first time playing Brawl+ and he beat some of the best figures in Brawl+. Snake is ridiculous, he's too good, or atleast he is in the hands of Ally.

Snake is so **** powerful, and his stage control game is near unmatched.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Ally doesn't even play the **** thing and you want vids of him camping with nades and punishing with dthrows?

Come on now.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
If I had replays of him in action I'd surely direct you guys. There might be matches saved from the finals, I'm not sure.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It isn't that Snake is too good (he's still GREAT, has staple combos, tech chasing and the best defensive game, but still probably isn't vBrawl good) its really just Ally being too good.

The man has the best Snake in the world, and has beaten the best player in the world under pressure to win some huge tournaments. Though SNES didn't have all the top B+ names out there. I would love to see how he does against pros much more familiar with B+ (Ninja Link, Boss, Chu, Holy [who he will play often in the future I'm sure... Canada just needs vids]) and some of the other fresh faces who played B+ and admitted they enjoyed it (Anther is who comes to mind here).

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
the last thing anyone wants for snake is a combo breaker lol. thank god u cant pull granades in hitstun. remember how broken they are in vbrawl??
Yes. His lack of resistance to combos is his weakness here that unlike in VBrawl, can be exploited, so it balances him out moderately.

Also, Ally is too good. It's not Snake doing most of the work. It's Ally doing all the work.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
They should get rid of his ridiculous jab canceled combos (particularly, f-tilt, f-tilt, f-tilt,f-tilt...) though.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The ftilt thing only works when you fail to tech. You could also SDI so that you get hit b the other hitbox that bonks you away.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Though SNES didn't have all the top B+ names out there. I would love to see how he does against pros much more familiar with B+ (Ninja Link, Boss, Chu, Holy [who he will play often in the future I'm sure... Canada just needs vids]
Everyone in Montreal can beat Ally in Brawl+. And that's not an hyperbole.

He doesn't play the **** game. He said everyone at S.N.E.S. brawl+ were scrubs, and that even that Gurukid PKT wasn't that good.

True Story, just ask him.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
The ftilt thing only works when you fail to tech. You could also SDI so that you get hit b the other hitbox that bonks you away.
Are you sure? Because to me, it doesn't look like the character can reach the ground before Snake can knee them again.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
DI down and either away or towards, depending on the hitbox. Tech in the direction of DI. In both cases, you can generally escape the knee-ing.

At high percents, it's a bit trickier. Depending on the box that hits, an utilt will generally be coming on a missed tech or bad DI for the kill.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
so whats the progress in terms of nerfing snake? its pretty clear that he doesn't play like any of the other characters in b+, his general gamplay is camping grenades and zoning with uptilt and ftilt. Other attacks like dair and nair still do way too much damage for their own good.

I would like to see snake be more combo oriented, instead of the player rewarded for camping, like the other characters in b+. Tone down the damage on just about all of his moves and shrink the hitbox of his uptilt to only reach where his foot is. Make the cooldown on the second part of his ftilt higher to punish people just pounding shields and whiffing all the time.

This part will be trickier, but see if its possible to adjust the knockback on some of his moves to allow him to be more of a combo oriented character, this probably could be done by severely reducing the knockback on his dair and nair, which would allow you to combo with them from upthrows etc.

Either way, anyone i talk to agrees that snake is by far the best character in this version of the game, and he most certainly needs to get toned down. Personally im not really bothered that he's so good, its just the playstyle thats rewarded. I watched ally play all of his matches at snes, he plays nearly the same as in vbrawl (camping grenades, pivot grabs, good use of ftilt to zone) and he easily beat everyone. I want to see more aggressive play rewarded and more combos, less camping and toned down damage.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
ya'll gay for nerfing Snake, Brawl+ will always be unbalanced , learn match ups as wise Ally would say
Uhh. Brawl+ wont always be unbalanced. Whatever is unbalanced will be balanced in the future guy.

Snake was nerf in other ways too. They just make the size of his tilts make a little more sense. Other than being closer to get **** off, he plays the same, if not better due to buffs.

And telling people to "learn matchups" isnt always the greatest of ideas. You could say that to all the people who main characters at the bottom of high tier and below and that won't do a **** thing in the end because they'd still lose to better characters.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Uhh. Brawl+ wont always be unbalanced. Whatever is unbalanced will be balanced in the future guy.

Snake was nerf in other ways too. They just make the size of his tilts make a little more sense. Other than being closer to get **** off, he plays the same, if not better due to buffs.
What buffs? Snake hasn't gotten a single buff except the C4 change and that was only done to rectify the C4 recovery and how it got changed with B+ gravities. I 100% agree with Ally that the WBR is stupid for nerfing Snake's tilts and should have learned ways around it. Sadly there isn't much I can do at this moment in time.

I also don't see why people want to change Smash's most unique character to play more like everyone else. Having one character that doesn't fit the mold isn't inherently bad for the game. If anything it's a great breath of fresh air.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Whoa.

Nerfs to Snake?

He's perfectly fine. Living proof that combos aren't the be-all-end-all to this game.

Sigh.

I hope this isn't due to a certain recent tournament. That'd be just... ugh.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Umm.....but Snake's tilts make absolutely no sense, they shouldn't have been that good in the first place. His recovery was also made differently. Although it is a little worse, I think he still has the C4 thing going for him, doesn't he? Even then, not too many nerfs were given to him. Hell, to my knowledge, MK didn't even get that many nerfs.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Whoa.

Nerfs to Snake?

He's perfectly fine. Living proof that combos aren't the be-all-end-all to this game.

Sigh.

I hope this isn't due to a certain recent tournament. That'd be just... ugh.
Thank you.

And no the tournament isn't the whole reason but it was enough fuel added to the fire of a hate a few babies in the WBR had for Snake to push them over the edge. (And yes, the whiners are 100% crying babies) Anyone who has played for Snake or against Snake for more than 2 minutes will see these are quite big nerfs to his game if the WBR set goes live as is. It cuts off about a third of their range with the current WBR test set.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
no combos don't have to be the end all be all to the style of the game, but when uptilt/ftilt go through 80 percent of the moves in the game AND you don't have to worry about them staling to kill with them later...

on top of that you have grenades to force people into the range of these rarely beaten moves, something does have to change about that.

NNID
Budget_Player
so whats the progress in terms of nerfing snake? its pretty clear that he doesn't play like any of the other characters in b+, his general gamplay is camping grenades and zoning with uptilt and ftilt. Other attacks like dair and nair still do way too much damage for their own good.

I would like to see snake be more combo oriented, instead of the player rewarded for camping, like the other characters in b+. Tone down the damage on just about all of his moves and shrink the hitbox of his uptilt to only reach where his foot is. Make the cooldown on the second part of his ftilt higher to punish people just pounding shields and whiffing all the time.

This part will be trickier, but see if its possible to adjust the knockback on some of his moves to allow him to be more of a combo oriented character, this probably could be done by severely reducing the knockback on his dair and nair, which would allow you to combo with them from upthrows etc.

Either way, anyone i talk to agrees that snake is by far the best character in this version of the game, and he most certainly needs to get toned down. Personally im not really bothered that he's so good, its just the playstyle thats rewarded. I watched ally play all of his matches at snes, he plays nearly the same as in vbrawl (camping grenades, pivot grabs, good use of ftilt to zone) and he easily beat everyone. I want to see more aggressive play rewarded and more combos, less camping and toned down damage.
What?

Hang on.

WHAT?

You guys are proposing nerfs to snake, possibly the single most nerfed character in Brawl+.

Yeah... that makes a lot of sense. "He was top tier in vBrawl; let's nerf him to unplayability". Okay, all of MK's attacks should now do 1 damage.

ya'll gay for nerfing Snake, Brawl+ will always be unbalanced , learn match ups as wise Ally would say
It even goes beyond this. Snake doesn't NEED nerfs. He is probably the single most comboable character in any smash bros game ever.

Umm.....but Snake's tilts make absolutely no sense, they shouldn't have been that good in the first place. His recovery was also made differently. Although it is a little worse, I think he still has the C4 thing going for him, doesn't he? Even then, not too many nerfs were given to him. Hell, to my knowledge, MK didn't even get that many nerfs.
Ftilt was already nerfed, as far as I'm aware... It's certainly not as good. The C4 boost is negligable. MK got nerfed by forced nerfs; the angle on Dair, power on Dsmash and shuttle loop... if it wasn't for that, he'd be obscenely broken. He's still the very best in Brawl+; in fact, the changes severely benefit his strong agressive combo game.

Snake got absolutely destroyed by the changes. His entire playstyle (and, for that matter, his moveset) is based on baiting, camping, and punishing. He is the easiest character to combo now, he has virtually no air game as far as actually persuing people goes (nothing will effectively stop juggles, break strings, etc. without hurting him). And camping? Just got worse. I'd rate snake very, very low.

no combos don't have to be the end all be all to the style of the game,
Thank you. Snake is probably the only character in the game who doesn't rely on combos (okay, maybe Ike?)

but when uptilt/ftilt go through 80 percent of the moves in the game AND you don't have to worry about them staling to kill with them later...

on top of that you have grenades to force people into the range of these rarely beaten moves, something does have to change about that.
**** you. Snake needs this. I mean, are you kidding me? They're the only things saving snake right now. The fact that it's hard to get him off his feet is why he isn't a character where people are screaming "buff buff buff!". Removing the range on those moves would destroy snake. Completely and utterly destroy him. Don't do it; he's balanced enough as is.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Everyone's complaining about Snake's tilts being his only saving grace, but the fact that that's all he does: tilt, is just stupid. Make tradeoffs. Repetitive and spammy gameplay is what we don't want.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well where will we trade off? Way faster dsmash? Stronger Usmash? A single aerial that will break combos? Let's face it, that's how snake plays. Without a serious change in what his attacks are (Nair which moves about 5x as fast?), there's not much you can boost on snake without polarizing him.

shanus

Smash Hero
I personally don't think his tilts needs to be nerfed, but *shrugs*

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Slow down.

Nerfs != Nerfs accompanied with buffs

My suggestion was just to trim down the range on U/F-tilt a but and then make D-tilt a good poke move. It'd be slightly less overcentralized.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If you guys REALLY want Snake to be all about 4 moves...I guess it's okay? Campy characters are cool too I guess (I always preferred characters that could be aggressive if they wanted to, but to each their own).

He's perfectly fine balance-wise, he's just a bit one dimensional. If the Snake mains don't want to change him, then he can just be left alone.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
There's nothing wrong with Snake being campy. If anything he should stay like that. I mean ****. Look at ROB. I see him use every move except like, Utilt and Side B, and 2 grabs. :V

Though what would be seemingly prefered is Campy and less dependant on like... 4 moves, and just Campy with a varied moveset. :V

Off the top of my head, Box, Landmine, and Nikita have potential. They're just terribad moves in mid level to high level competitive play.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Snake doesnt need any nerfs, this is ridiculous. He's fine as he currently is and my *** he doesn't have combos, when I played Ally he did a few combos. Ally isn't the best in Montreal but he's already top 5 material without even playing the game. His Wario is really good but that's also cause he's a broken piece of **** atm, 17 dmg for upair what nonsense lol.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
We need to go about this in a different way really.

I dont think snake needs range nerfs but I wish the nerfs weren't so potent. It's the potency that really bugs me, but people only look at the range lol.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Snake doesnt need any nerfs, this is ridiculous. He's fine as he currently is and my *** he doesn't have combos, when I played Ally he did a few combos. Ally isn't the best in Montreal but he's already top 5 material without even playing the game. His Wario is really good but that's also cause he's a broken piece of **** atm, 17 dmg for upair what nonsense lol.
Concerning Wario, basically every Wario player out there, me being one of them, has agreed that reducing his LOL damage per combo (Uair juggles, Nair/Dair into Fsmash, Jab canceled Fsmash, and all the other lovely stuff Wario can do between all his aircamping) is perfectly fine. In fact in the next set SMK has been doing damage nerfs; Uair 15%, Dair 14%, Fsmash 17%, or at least that's where it was last I saw.

Concerning Snake...
If nerfing his tilts is 100% necessary to the WBR then I would much rather see it done in terms of their utility rather their range. Snake doesn't really need his stupid good Utilt combos for instance. And why is it that when I see top level Snake's play, whether vBrawl or B+ (very rare that it is B+) I don't see a tilt happy character? I see a more complex character focused around stage control and tricking their opponent into traps, who knows how to offensively pressure while keeping their defensive options maxed out as well.

If anything, I see grenades being more problematic. A good player knows the range of Snake's tilts as well as the Snake player; I can sit just outside of Snake's Utilt range, space a retreating Bair as G&W and then punish the potential Utilt easily. Grenades on the other hand... they force me to avoid a portion of the stage, and then force me into a disadvantaged position for Snake to take advantage of. Don't even get me started about shielding grenades for such a stupidly good defensive option. I'm just thankful he can only have two grenades at any given time. If he could keep up grenade spam as quickly as Falco, Olimar, Pit or Ivy then it would be absolutely broken. Tilts on the other hand are only a problem if you let them become a problem. Know their range, and keep yourself safe from them. But don't think I'm saying grenades need nerfing because I certainly don't. The fact that he can only have two at a time makes them much more balanced then say Falco's lasers which single handedly win him matchups.

I feel like I see people who just don't want to adapt their playstyle to fight somebody who forces them to do just that. Do you really think you can beat out the best defensive game in Brawl(+) with the same stuff that works on other characters? Adapt to his tilts range, adapt to his stage control, adapt to Snake's every move. If anything I see him as a breath of fresh air to playing because it makes me play a completely different game then what I'm used to.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Good point I Am Plum. I still think that even if his tilts end up being slightly nerfed, then he'll still play the same except more fairly, which should be the focus.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Bring him to ****ing fests and ****, like wtf.

We have one of the best player in the world and all he does is play online in his bedroom.

Top Bottom