• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Living Legend - Solid Snake in Brawl+

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
When everyone thought vBrawl would be Melee 2.0, everyone thought that Sonic would be freaking awesome and Snake would suck because he is too slow. Now that we have greater gravity, speed and comboes, and the game is getting closer to Melee's and 64's style, Snake is obviously nerfed. But that doesn't mean he's bad, I'm sure anyone can get good with him, the goal is to find out all of his new tricks to determine his quality in the game.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I've been experimenting with something with Snake. when I knock someone high up in the air, I like to jump twice and use the cypher below them then use bair to hit my opponent if he airdodges the cypher.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Only on digital dummies(CPUs) is this confirmed to work. I need a human player to test it, but I think it might work because bair's hitbox stays out for a large amount of frames.

The cypher is a hitbox as soon as Snake lets it go and it would be hard to read when he will let it go, so the point is to use this factor to trick them into air dodging BEFORE the cypher is a hitbox, then you can use bair and it's long lasting hitbox to punish your foe.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Well, mr. Snake here is getting no topic love? Shame.

I played him a little bit in vBrawl, and am considering playing him more in Brawl+. He's just got so much range and is pretty fast for his power/range, and grenades are awesome. What playstyle does he seem to move towards now?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Thanks. I'll update the OP with this.
Does his grenade slide still work in Brawl+? That's always fun.
You mean Mortar slides? They still work. However, in order to do a contact Mortar slide, you have to put your buffer at the brawl default by setting the value at 100.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
The move that interests me most is the ftilt1 knee. It looks like it has great comboability, but I'm not sure if it's possible to tell exactly where it will send someone (if it pops up, is ftilt1 -> nair possible? Because that would be amazing for killing). It's still got decent range and is really fast.

Are there any reliable Snake combos? I know uthrow-utilt at 0%, and I know his kill moves are mostly really fast (ftilt, utilt, uair, bair, even nair and dair pretty fast), so I'm wondering what people are using to start off the damage racking and if there are any reliable combos. Throws other than uthrow / dthrow combo at all?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Against fast fallers like Falcon. Starting from about 15%, Utilt<Utilt<Utilt<Nair.

His Uthrow CGs DDD until 37% and Fast fallers until about 20%.

OK. I added the section that has potential combos. I need someone to test these on a human player to confirm these work on more than CPUs.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I don't know why people say snake will be lower on the tier list. He's pretty much unchanged. He doesn't need comboes. Those arn't what made him good in brawl ( even though barwl doesn't have any ) and his nades are unchanged. With ally beating M2K in brawl and mk being called mk minus, i'd think that snake would be heading for the top in b+ and in v brawl.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I don't know why people say snake will be lower on the tier list. He's pretty much unchanged. He doesn't need comboes. Those arn't what made him good in brawl ( even though barwl doesn't have any ) and his nades are unchanged. With ally beating M2K in brawl and mk being called mk minus, i'd think that snake would be heading for the top in b+ and in v brawl.
Brawl+ rewards offensive play. Characters that manage to get inside can now wreak his campy frame with combos. And his recovery is mush against edgeguarding.

vBrawl Snake lives in a campy world where even if he gets hit, he usually won't take too much damage and can resume camping. Any time Brawl+ Snake fails to repel an approach, he's going to feel hurt (especially if comboed off the edge).

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Which is why the metagame of Snake+ should focus on CQC, Gtfo tactics, and extreme edgeguarding.

Because when you look at it, a large majority of Snake's moveset = retardedly good edgeguarding.

Landmind, Nades, CF, Nikita, RPG, Dtilt, Utilt, Dthrow, Jab, Filt 1+2, Usmash.

Need I go on? His moveset sceams edgeguarder. More than marios. You just need to be careful and calculating about it. If they get inside, get them out. When the opportunity approaches, you take it with his okay offensive tactics.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Brawl+ rewards offensive play. Characters that manage to get inside can now wreak his campy frame with combos. And his recovery is mush against edgeguarding.

vBrawl Snake lives in a campy world where even if he gets hit, he usually won't take too much damage and can resume camping. Any time Brawl+ Snake fails to repel an approach, he's going to feel hurt (especially if comboed off the edge).
Oh, I get it: if somebody gets him into a combo in b+ than he'll have a hard time resumeing his camping and will be forced to playt agreesively in the meantime. Right?

And who else thinks that they should make a b+ tier list thread?

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
:urg: wahhaha... but if anybody want6s to talk about the potiental tier list right now i'd be happy :laugh: bu7t then, that's not going to happen... marth for top tier!!!

Palpi

Smash Hero
Snake doesn't seem too much different, but the time I used him I didn't do too terrible. It as easy or easy to get c4 kills because of hitstun and you can string together some usairs.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Also, taunt = Edgeguarding move.

... :|

Seriously. I'm trying to get them to speed up that spot where Snake stays in his box, and button pressing doesnt make him pop out until later.

Basically try to get it so that as soon as the box covers him completely, he and take it off, instead of having to wait almost a second.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Also, taunt = Edgeguarding move.

... :|

Seriously. I'm trying to get them to speed up that spot where Snake stays in his box, and button pressing doesnt make him pop out until later.

Basically try to get it so that as soon as the box covers him completely, he and take it off, instead of having to wait almost a second.
Get me the frame data

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Okay. So I speed up snake's taunts. At frame 20, the animation speeds up by 4x times.

What this now allows snake to do is legit box ledgeguarding AND follow up a fully charged usmash at the ledge with a box right behind the motar shot.

Thoughts?

Hostility

Smash Ace
Need I go on? His moveset sceams edgeguarder. More than marios. You just need to be careful and calculating about it. If they get inside, get them out. When the opportunity approaches, you take it with his okay offensive tactics.
I definetly agree that snake is a zoning character. He's great at keeping people out of his tilt range and at controlling space. His projetiles are amazing as you can set traps to shut off a lot of different approaches.

Snake is still a pretty good character in brawl+, he can't combo all that well compared to some of the other characters, and he gets destroyed in the air and offstage, but his zoning game will ensure that he's still a very usable character. I should have some videos up of my snake from a tournament last week for those who are interested.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I play in other matchups too in the other videos but they aren't up yet. In grand finals I play lucien (amazing wolf) and both characters dont really change a huge amount between versions. And next time I record matches it will be with a newer version.

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
Nice Snake there bro

Lets have someone put a B+ Snake combo video up, that would be amazing. I just recently started using him about last week and so far I've managed pretty good with him. Lol I actually beat Jbandrew and Bo x7 in a little 2v1 (it was a doubles match but my partner sucked) even though I got a little bit lucky obviously there was no doubt I was ******. Imo, Snake+ is a pretty fun character

Top Bottom