• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Wuss

Smash Champion
relax, my friend. It was only a joke. :dizzy: If you dont like the picture, then I'll just take it off.
I thought he was saying that cause he wanted to +rep you...

anyways, I'm looking forward to change as well. Although I would have been happy with just some original bosses and items, changing the dungeon/field system works too :)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
relax, my friend. It was only a joke. :dizzy: If you dont like the picture, then I'll just take it off.
I didn't mean it like that x_x I meant that I liked it.

But yeah, I don't want the series to lose its' traditional dungeons, but I hope Aonuma was speaking more about changing up the action in the game... Zelda has boring swordplay. Hate it hate it hate it. I hope Nintendo realizes that motion+ is the perfect opportunity to make the game a really great action title, in addition to its' nearly perfected adventuring.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'd prefer some sort of glider. Imagine this enormous, open, sandbox Hyrule. Everything is explorable and connected. So Link spends a long time climbing to the peak of Death Mountain and once up there, uses his glider to set off and glide all the way across Hyrule, picking up on wind currents and such.

Nintendo has made glider minigames in such games as Wii Sports Resort, so by implementing the ability to take off from any point in Hyrule, I could happily spend hours upon hours doing so. Especially if a full, breathing, lively world was unfolding beneath you. You could see caravans traveling across the land, groups of Gorons rolling around, etc. It would be so epic.
Ahh the fun of the Glider in ACII. It's a good head start, but the some what restrictiveness to me hampers its full potential.

And yes I honestly think it's time we get rid of the underground passage ways that hold a item that coincidentally Link needs to get through.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Oh. I thought rep was a bad thing. haha, sorry again my friend! I've never been on a forum with a rep system, so it's a new concept for me.
think about it as kudos, except there's negative kudos as well :p

Spire

III
BRoomer
Who knows what this could be. It looks like one of three things:

1. Abbreviation for Zelda Wii.
2. Placeholder name for a potential new console.
3. Actual name for a new console.

Lil Slugger

Smash Rookie
4) a graphical style has not been set in stone yet, although the cel-shading style is not likely to return
That is good to hear. I would have been pretty sad if Zelda Wii was made in cel-shading.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I rather enjoyed the cel shaded look, but I agree it probably shouldn't return. It was fitting for the style and setting of Wind Waker, but Zelda Wii needs to be epic :bee:

However, I wouldn't mind a stylized or even slighty cartoony art design. The attempts at realism in TP just didn't do it for me (although it didn't look that realistic). Zelda is a fantasy game, and the art direction and style need to show that this is taking place in a wholly different world.

Mclena45

Smash Apprentice
I rather enjoyed the cel shaded look, but I agree it probably shouldn't return. It was fitting for the style and setting of Wind Waker, but Zelda Wii needs to be epic :bee:

However, I wouldn't mind a stylized or even slighty cartoony art design. The attempts at realism in TP just didn't do it for me (although it didn't look that realistic). Zelda is a fantasy game, and the art direction and style need to show that this is taking place in a wholly different world.
Yeah I wouldn't mind a cartoony style, just lets hope if they do they wont over do it.

Nic64

Smash Lord
That is good to hear. I would have been pretty sad if Zelda Wii was made in cel-shading.
Okami is cel shaded and maybe the most visually impressive game I have ever seen. I wouldn't want another WW/PH style game though so yeah...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okami is cel shaded and maybe the most visually impressive game I have ever seen. I wouldn't want another WW/PH style game though so yeah...
Okami is not cel-shaded, it's done in a sumi-e ink style. It's understandable why you'd think they're the same, but the most definitely are not.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings

Actually, I loved the art-style and look for TP. The pseudo-anime style fit perfectly, and the look of the game was just epic and fantasy-like, even more so than OoT and MM. It looks like they have a lighting filter on everything that just makes it appear differently.

I honestly don't see why so many fans view TP so negatively. In my opinion, it's one the best Zelda games yet. The only major problem is that it's too easy (Of course, there are a few minor issues, but every game has those except OoT... well, not many, anyway), but all of the positive aspects of the game almost make up for that.

For Zelda Wii, hopefully it will look something like TP, although slightly, ever so slightly, more cartoony and fantasy-like.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
So if they haven't even decided on a graphical style then that probably gives you an idea of how far they are through the game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
They have been pussyfooting around Zelda Wii since 2006 and have shown us only one piece of concept art, which may or may not say anything about the game. I've given them a personal reprieve, but now I'm getting antsy and sort of pissed off.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Aonuma said that they would discuss the game at E3 next year, right? That's quite a few months away, which makes me wonder how far in development they actually are right now. I'm also perplexed at the fact that they revealed that concept art nearly a year before the E3 in which they were discussing it, and kept us fans in anxious anticipation while they scarcely revealed any information about it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Aonuma said that they would discuss the game at E3 next year, right? That's quite a few months away, which makes me wonder how far in development they actually are right now. I'm also perplexed at the fact that they revealed that concept art nearly a year before the E3 in which they were discussing it, and kept us fans in anxious anticipation while they scarcely revealed any information about it.
The concept art was obviously made just to appease all of us for the otherwise complete absence of Zelda Wii at E3 2009. I'm glad they at least gave us something, but the fact that they've been hinting towards it time and again without revealing anything more than small information has us clawing for more. We're dogs on chains and they're holding the meat a foot from our grasp.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't much mind the wait they're giving us. We've got Spirit Tracks, which I'm well into at the moment, and it's been good so far. Haven't read how people are reacting because I'm avoiding spoilers, but I'm liking it. We've got a picture that lets us theorize a decent bit, though we pretty much figured it out (maybe?) within a day or two. We'll get something more by the summer at least, I'm confident. They've said they want a trailer for E3, so we're going to get something, even if they fall behind, they'll do something.

In the meantime, I'm busy playing other games I need to finish. Today I finished Professor Layton 1, which was fantastic, and started the second. Great stuff; their puzzle master should go join Team Zelda and make some fancy dungeon locks and such. Also went on a colossus blitz in the past couple days to beat Shadow of the Colossus. Team Zelda needs to look at the scope of the world there and take some notes. Hyrule can be that epic, and more. But I have faith that their disappointment with TP, despite it being very, very good in most aspects, will lead them to make something truly great.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't mind the wait. I'm hyped for a new Zelda and all, but 2010 is already looking to be expensive to me as a gamer (Probably the first time we've had a truly packed Quarter 1/2 - thanks Modern Warfare!), so I'd rather see Zelda Wii in 2011 when we really won't be seeing that many games (blah blah blah recession). That would easily make Nintendo the most money, due to the game coming out when there isn't that many games, and it would make me happy, not only because it's a new Zelda, but because it'll come out at a time when we need a really long game like Zelda.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
It's not that I don't mind the wait; I waited for Super Smash Bros. Brawl for nearly 3 years. It's just the fact that, like Spire said, it's like we're dogs on chains and they're holding meat a foot from our grasp. It's the fact that they're revealing tiny bits of information as our lust to learn more grows stronger.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
A serious Zelda game for the win. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are cool but they don't have the serious appeal. >>excited<<

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's not that I don't mind the wait; I waited for Super Smash Bros. Brawl for nearly 3 years. It's just the fact that, like Spire said, it's like we're dogs on chains and they're holding meat a foot from our grasp. It's the fact that they're revealing tiny bits of information as our lust to learn more grows stronger.
I agree...unfortunately, it's a good marketing strategy on their part. The more they hype up a game with very little information, the better it's going to sell.

Nintendo has a knack for doing this with like, all of their games, though. Then they delay them and make it even worse. Spirit Tracks is the first game in forever that they haven't done it with, I was shocked when it came out earlier than it was originally planned to, and it came out excellently.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I agree...unfortunately, it's a good marketing strategy on their part. The more they hype up a game with very little information, the better it's going to sell.

Nintendo has a knack for doing this with like, all of their games, though. Then they delay them and make it even worse. Spirit Tracks is the first game in forever that they haven't done it with, I was shocked when it came out earlier than it was originally planned to, and it came out excellently.
Spirit Tracks was obviously made to tide us over for Zelda Wii. They've been working on the latter longer, so it's no wonder that they created Spirit Tracks (using the pre-existing PH engine) so we won't ***** as much. I must say, it certainly has worked.

Though like I said before, I'm getting kind of antsy. Good thing we have HeartGold, SoulSilver, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and Monster Hunter Tri to keep us Wiiccupied til Zelda.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Spirit Tracks was obviously made to tide us over for Zelda Wii. They've been working on the latter longer, so it's no wonder that they created Spirit Tracks (using the pre-existing PH engine) so we won't ***** as much. I must say, it certainly has worked.
Even so, though; a Nintendo game, especially a Zelda game, without a delay is pretty miraculous.

Though like I said before, I'm getting kind of antsy. Good thing we have HeartGold, SoulSilver, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and Monster Hunter Tri to keep us Wiiccupied til Zelda.
Yeah, next year is going to be packed with great games, I'm sure I'll be set until Zelda Wii comes out, not to mention all of the older games I have to play still.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Then again, TP was being deliberately pushed back so that it could be released simulatenously with Wii. It's not because they were particularly busy with development, they just needed a killer app launch title for their new system.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Mmm. Since the release of Pikmin and SSBM, I waited 8 years for Captain Olimar to be a playable character in Brawl. At least my wish came true!

Anyway, the concept art does look quite interesting. To me, I think the red background could serve as a time portal or something...

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, the concept art does look quite interesting. To me, I think the red background could serve as a time portal or something...
It seems most of the discussion regarding the concept art revolves around the figure floating behind Link and not so much their location. Taking a wild guess, I'd say they're in some sort of time or warp portal, like you said. I also seems to resemble a narrow corridor with a large flame just behind Link.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I wish Nintendo would spend some time on other games instead of using them as filler to "tide us over until the next Zelda" comes out.

Yeah, it's nice to see your favourite characters come back now and then, but I personally would like to see an original game that's well thought out and developed.

Basically, I don't mind waiting for the Zelda game, but I don't want to always be waiting for a Zelda or Mario or Metroid game and nothing else.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wish Nintendo would spend some time on other games instead of using them as filler to "tide us over until the next Zelda" comes out.

Yeah, it's nice to see your favourite characters come back now and then, but I personally would like to see an original game that's well thought out and developed.

Basically, I don't mind waiting for the Zelda game, but I don't want to always be waiting for a Zelda or Mario or Metroid game and nothing else.
I'm happily awaiting the currently unannounced and most likely unplanned new F-Zero and Star Fox games, particularly the former. And whatever happened to Pikmin 3?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I'm happily awaiting the currently unannounced and most likely unplanned new F-Zero and Star Fox games, particularly the former. And whatever happened to Pikmin 3?
...Where was it that I heard plans for Kid Icarus Wii and Kirby Wii?

And why does it seems so revolutionary every time a new Mario or Metroid game is released?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
does anyone besides me want nintendo to create a new game with totally new charcters
a rpg specifcally how many rpgs have nintendo made other than pokemon (which was mostly made by game freak) and earthbound which they have neglected for awhile now with olny one release in america

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
You forgot Fire Emblem, Ninka. That would be nice, though, if Nintendo created something new but also for hardcore players, which actually brings Project Sora to mind.

Zelda Wii is coming out in 2010!

Don't wet yourself just yet though, I bet it's gonna get delayed.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Hopefully not. Nintendo can't afford to have another weak Q4 lineup. If they are smart they will release the game late October-early November.

Nintendo has been known to announce a game then release it the same year. I can't wait for E3 now.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hopefully not. Nintendo can't afford to have another weak Q4 lineup. If they are smart they will release the game late October-early November.
Hardly. They had a very strong Q4 this year, just not for the hardcore gamer. For casual gamers, Nintendo was great. NSMBW, Spirit Tracks, Bowser's Inside Story, the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, a new Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Wii Fit Plus... I could go on. Nintendo's Q4 lineup this year dominated.

Nintendo has been known to announce a game then release it the same year. I can't wait for E3 now.
Yup. A good amount of their hardcore products (Mario, Zelda, etc.) tend to get delayed, so don't expect all of the new announcements to come out the year they're announced.. That's not a bad thing, though.

Top Bottom