• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
But I like playing while sitting in a chair D:

As long as I can play while sitting down and not having to excercise while playing games, it's fine.
I feel the same way. I would love to have an option to use the classic or GC controller, even though Wii Motion Plus will be awesome (as long as the control is a lot better that that of TP).

Alzi

Smash Master
You can still play sitting down with the wii remote on your lap like a normal controller. Just the swinging around might get annoying.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You can still play sitting down with the wii remote on your lap like a normal controller. Just the swinging around might get annoying.
I think that remains to be seen. We don't know what kind of controls are being implemented yet, so assuming they're loose enough (or tight enough, depends on your point of view) for you to play with sitting down is a bit foolish. So far, all we know of Zelda Wii is that Link will be a bit older, possibly have no sword, the game will be placed somewhere entirely else (or apart from TP) on the timeline, and that, "it's fun to move your body around".

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure it won't be using the balance board, considering Miyamoto let everyone know it would most likely use the motion plus alone, and that was it. He undoubtedly would've mentioned it at the same time, unless its a secret project he wants to add in it - In which case, it would most likely just end up being optional.

That super guide thing is interesting, but I hope it doesn't turn off the hardcore fans for some reason. Knowing you can just use the super guide might make progression feel empty to them, not to mention the temptation of using it in general. On the other hand, the super guide means Miyamoto can make the natural difficulty of the overall game harder - But he said he wanted to keep it reasonably low already. Super Guide on top of an easy game doesn't sound very appealing, so I really hope he takes full advantage of its potential to please both the hardcore and the casual players.

Alzi

Smash Master
If you die enough times to even get that super guide then you are foolish and a noob yourself who needs help :p.

People just need to ignore the super guide thing i mean if you trully are good at games you will never have to come across it.

I think a trailer was ment to be coming out sometime in October but i'm guessing it will come towards the end of November.

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
:( well i hope it will be difficult and actually have enemies that do more than 1 heart of damage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No trailer at all. It was inferred by many that Nintendo would unveil a trailer during their Fall Media Summit, but that passed and nothing was shown. I don't think Nintendo will release something so amazing on such short notice. They're going to show us Zelda Wii come E3. If we get anything before, I'll be royally surprised.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, that trailer rumor I found and posted turned out to be a bust. Oh well, just gotta hope Spirit Tracks is good enough to hold us till nest year. :D I remain optimistic.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
The longer the better, really. We'll survive =P I wanna see all kinds of side-quests in that bound-to-be-huge world.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sequels, follow-ups, and future Zelda trends

Every Zelda game has had at least one follow-up of some sort. Let's look:

LoZ - AoL
ALttP - LA
OoT - MM
OoA/OoS
FS/FSA - TMC
WW - PH
And then it gets blurred. It could play out like this:
TP - LCT
WW - PH - ST
TP - ZWii (not direct sequel)
TP/LCT - ZWii
ST - ZWii

But of course, since Miyamoto said that ZWii has nothing to do with TP, then odds are, it'll be related to Spirit Tracks somehow, if not completely standalone. So it'll all probably play out as follows:

LoZ - AoL
ALttP - LA
OoT - MM
OoA/OoS
FS/FSA - TMC
WW - PH - ST
TP - LCT
ZWii

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just a quick thought -- What if ZWii is about the Demon King battle?
I was totally thinking that last night. I starting piecing together a timeline considering the new information regarding Spirit Tracks.

--------WW/PH - ST - LoZ/AoL - (OoX/LA)
OoT{
--------MM - TP - (ALttP)
TMC - FS/FSA - (ALttP) - (OoX/LA)

OoT splits into two timelines and [TMC - FS/FSA] is a completely alternate reality. ALttP can follow TP or FS/FSA. OoX/LA can follow [FS/FSA - (ALttP)], or LoZ/AoL.

MAJOR SPIRIT TRACKS SPOILERS:
The "Evil King" or "King of Darkness" is mentioned in LoZ and ALttP (or at least one of them) and is obviously synonymous with "Demon King". Seeing as how the Hyrule in ST is ridiculously similar to the one in LoZ/AoL, it can most likely be inferred that they are the same. However, if Ganon rises to power in LoZ (New Hyrule), wouldn't that mean that Ganon had to have been there previously in some form? Perhaps once Link killed Ganondorf in WW, the evil spirit Ganon escaped and sought refuge elsewhere, finding this new land to take over. Once Link and Zelda finally arrived after PH, they encountered him once again and sealed him away by building the Spirit Tower and Spirit Tracks. He apparently breaks free again with the help of Chancellor Cole and begins to spread his evil once more. I'm assuming that Link defeats and reseals him away (if we get to fight him in blue pig form, I will forever be in debt to Nintendo) only so he can break free once again some years later when a new Link from the neighboring land of Calatia ventures to Hyrule to save Zelda and the Triforce.

I was further thinking that if the Demon King is never named Ganon in ST, then the Ganon from LoZ/AoL (if it follows ST) is really the Demon King named later as Ganon by those who recognize the similarities. Similar to how Link and Zelda found a new land that resembled old Hyrule, with a new Death Mountain and such. It's almost as though the Goddesses created a new Hyrule for Link and Zelda to settle since the old one now exists below the ocean. And by either their doing or another divine prank, Ganon may be recreated too.

I would love a game that begins in New Hyrule, but chronicles the expedition to find the ruins of Old Hyrule (basically Atlantis).

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
That new timeline of yours is very interesting. Many times have we repeated the split timeline, but we've never actually considered the possibility of an alternate reality. However, ALttP belongs after AoL because Miyamoto confirmed the LoZ-AoL-ALttP sequence himself.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
My thought: When the sword is out, it follows however you're holding the wiimote. So it's going to look weird when you're running and you have the sword doing random stuff.

..yeah, that sounds like "fun to move the body" right? You get to control link's arm.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
It is too early to draw any conclusions as to what we can/cant do on Zelda Wii. Do we even know that Zelda will use Wiimotion Plus? It's a strong possibility, but lets say that we are not limited to JUST Wiimotion Plus. They might implement the boogie board... or even construct something completely new for Zelda.

..yeah, that sounds like "fun to move the body" right? You get to control link's arm.
Do you know that for sure? Will we be able to ONLY control Link's arm? Will it even let us control Link's arm? I say, before we jump to conclusions, we need more information before downgrading everything. I wouldnt think that Zelda would allow Link to have the "Jimmy arm" in which his arm just goes crazy everywhere. I suspect that everything is going to be fluid: Like TP, having a couple places in the game where you can take full control of Link's movements. perhaps archery, ball-in-chain, and other such things will use more Wiimotion Plus. But the animations of Link and the combat, I wager, will probably not change very much from TP. It's the same fear people had when they heard TP was coming out for the Wii; would they overuse the Wiimote, giving Link the dreaded "Jimmy arm?" But then we all saw how fluid the game was, never overusing the Wiimote in any way. Now here we are, and Zelda Wii is starting to reveal itself. We all are fearing the "Jimmy arm" effect. But my guess is that it will be just as masterful as TP was with the Wiimote.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Its a shame that these newer recent Zelda games have to deal with people that dislike the dedicated control direction being used for them. I think Miyamoto knows Zelda and Wii don't seem to mix for alot of people, so he's probably taking a chance with Zelda Wii to change that. There're still people who dislike the PH/ST controls for the DS, but overall I think its been accepted enough. I guess I'm just stating the obvious, but I'm trying to say I think thats why he's so stubborn to use these controls, because the Wii and DS don't naturally support Zelda games very well, and he has to find a way to make them work better together.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The Wii doesn't support Zelda games? The Motion+ is practically made for Zelda. Just look at half of Wii Sports Resort. Swordplay, archery, canoeing, etc. It's practically a Zelda demo. He is taking something of a chance in using the Motion+ for Zelda Wii, but if no one tries to push it to its potential, then it'll end up being a useless peripheral that we all make fun of. (Like the Vitality Sensor is destined to be.) The Wii is all about the Motion Control, so the big games on it should feature it. As much as part of me wants the game to handle like GCN TP with WW's camera, which is what I'm used to, I know that this is the logical next step, and I want to see what they can do.

Also, I thought the controls in PH were fantastic. Everything was used very intuitively with the stylus. This is another case where I would have been skeptical beforehand if they said they were going to make a Zelda game that was controlled entirely with the stylus, but it worked out quite well. It's like the only thing I hope they don't change from PH much.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
The Wii doesn't support Zelda games? The Motion+ is practically made for Zelda. Just look at half of Wii Sports Resort. Swordplay, archery, canoeing, etc. It's practically a Zelda demo. He is taking something of a chance in using the Motion+ for Zelda Wii, but if no one tries to push it to its potential, then it'll end up being a useless peripheral that we all make fun of. (Like the Vitality Sensor is destined to be.) The Wii is all about the Motion Control, so the big games on it should feature it. As much as part of me wants the game to handle like GCN TP with WW's camera, which is what I'm used to, I know that this is the logical next step, and I want to see what they can do.

Also, I thought the controls in PH were fantastic. Everything was used very intuitively with the stylus. This is another case where I would have been skeptical beforehand if they said they were going to make a Zelda game that was controlled entirely with the stylus, but it worked out quite well. It's like the only thing I hope they don't change from PH much.
There're actually alot of people who hate the motion+ idea of the next Zelda wii and the controls for PH/ST. Alot of fans from the series want to play them the way they've always played them, and its a shame because you're right - It is perfect for Zelda, but at the same time it could hold the games sales and reception back a little, even if they do a good job of it. Some refuse to accept it, while others like you and me gladly welcome it. It could also bring people who bought the Wii for things like Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus into getting it, though. Overall, I hope it will be generally accepted by most, because even if they think its too physical of gameplay, it does sound amazing for full motion control in a Zelda game, and I think it'll be just as great as it sounds.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I was once opposed to new control mechanisms in Zelda, but I've since become a 100% supporter. I really want to see them change the formula up as much as possible. Make it a FPRPRTSFPG (first-person-role-playing-real-time-strategy-fighting-puzzle game) and I'll be mega happy. At this point, I absolutely trust Nintendo to do whatever they want with the series. We know it's going to be realistic, we know Link is going to be older, so hence, it may be even more mature. Perhaps it will gain a T rating like TP (most likely) and judging from the difficulty of New Super Mario Bros. Wii (own it, love it, and have struggled a lot with it) and the fact that the Super Guide is included in both titles, I'm sure the difficulty will be upped along with the change of gameplay.

I back Nintendo completely with Zelda Wii. It's Zelda for Wii, the motion-controlled system. It needs to have motion controls! If fans don't like it (Nintendo will still make boatloads of money) they can work out the kinks with the next game. Also, seeing as how DLC is possible on the Wii now, if Zelda Wii featured some extra dungeons, items, etc, that would just be superb.

Also, seeing as how Nintendo is trying more and more to incorporate multiplayer into the Zelda games (and others like NSMBWii), I really don't think it's unlikely to see a multiplayer mode in Zelda Wii, be it co-op (playing through the whole game -- oh my God that would be the best thing to ever happen in the history of gaming), versus (second best thing), or what have you (...third best?).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
There're actually alot of people who hate the motion+ idea of the next Zelda wii and the controls for PH/ST. Alot of fans from the series want to play them the way they've always played them, and its a shame because you're right - It is perfect for Zelda, but at the same time it could hold the games sales and reception back a little, even if they do a good job of it. Some refuse to accept it, while others like you and me gladly welcome it. It could also bring people who bought the Wii for things like Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus into getting it, though. Overall, I hope it will be generally accepted by most, because even if they think its too physical of gameplay, it does sound amazing for full motion control in a Zelda game, and I think it'll be just as great as it sounds.
I agree with everything you said except for the bolded. The only people who will truly not buy the game because of motion+ are the people who have become anti-nintendo, because they have gotten so wrapped up in their tiny little image of Nintendo being this anti-fun shovelware-making company, that they will automatically assume that Zelda Wii will fail with the introduction of motion controls. There are not many of those people. But do you want to know what kind of people there are a lot of? The kind of people that will buy their first Zelda game EVER because of Motion+. This will not harm sales or reception at all - it will just piss off ******* fanboys.

Falcade

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing Link is more of an adult in this game, but he goes back to before the Master Sword was even created...I dont know, I'm tired and feel like typing.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/30/next-wii-zelda-title-may-feature-flying/

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing 'The Phantom Hourglass' for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young," Aonuma told the Guardian. "When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky ... '"

Aonuma's comment there may have just been a passing nod to his son's enthusiasm, but it's entirely possible that he was hinting by proxy with that anecdote.

"If many people make many speculations ... some of them might be correct," he teased. "Right now, I have to refrain from commenting on anything."

I hope this means Pegasus Epona

Spire

III
BRoomer
^ Yeah, we posted that in the News Thread. Though no one ever looks at that, so of course it would be overlooked.

I still have a strong hunch that Zelda Wii will have a co-op mode where Player 2 plays as Master Sword girl, leaving Link swordless so they'd be balanced.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I wouldn't mind Pegasus Epona. That would be incredibly cool, actually.

Though, I think a glider-type item is more likely than Epona suddenly sprouting wings. Both would be awesome, in any case.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd prefer some sort of glider. Imagine this enormous, open, sandbox Hyrule. Everything is explorable and connected. So Link spends a long time climbing to the peak of Death Mountain and once up there, uses his glider to set off and glide all the way across Hyrule, picking up on wind currents and such.

Nintendo has made glider minigames in such games as Wii Sports Resort, so by implementing the ability to take off from any point in Hyrule, I could happily spend hours upon hours doing so. Especially if a full, breathing, lively world was unfolding beneath you. You could see caravans traveling across the land, groups of Gorons rolling around, etc. It would be so epic.

ToiletRoll

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiskyR
I dont really know what other people know or have guessed accurately but most people would read that and just say that you're getting slightly ahead of yourself. Remember this isn't on a format that could pull off all of that, yet. With most of the Wii games it will probably not be the 'looks' as such, but more on the innovation and ways to use it. Hanglider is a good idea and i'll admit i'd love to see it happen but, yeah, bit carried away there? :p

Spire

III
BRoomer
I dont really know what other people know or have guessed accurately but most people would read that and just say that you're getting slightly ahead of yourself. Remember this isn't on a format that could pull off all of that, yet. With most of the Wii games it will probably not be the 'looks' as such, but more on the innovation and ways to use it. Hanglider is a good idea and i'll admit i'd love to see it happen but, yeah, bit carried away there? :p
So? Keep in mind that they're changing a ton about Zelda at this point. We really don't know what to expect.

I can tell you that it's not going to be like TP + Wii Motion Plus. Incorporating WM+ involves changing the very rudiments of the engine and structure of the game. The formula will be changed drastically (confirmed) and we'll be given an entirely new way to play Zelda. It'll be as big a leap as OoT was from ALttP/LA, if not bigger.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The concept of flight isn't unreasonable at all for the Wii's hardware. Look at Wind Waker's massive overworld (though yes, quite a bit of empty space but there would be a lot of empty space in the air anyways). Also, Pilotwings 64 was a pretty awesome flight game (for the time at least, I haven't played it since it first came out).

A glider would be cool, though I imagine that would come with some kind of wind controlling instrument like WW.

I still like the winged Epona idea better though :nerd:

It's not as though she would have to sprout wings during the game. It could take place in such a different era or whathaveyou that this particular Epona has wings for whatever reason.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The concept of flight isn't unreasonable at all for the Wii's hardware. Look at Wind Waker's massive overworld (though yes, quite a bit of empty space but there would be a lot of empty space in the air anyways). Also, Pilotwings 64 was a pretty awesome flight game (for the time at least, I haven't played it since it first came out).

A glider would be cool, though I imagine that would come with some kind of wind controlling instrument like WW.

I still like the winged Epona idea better though :nerd:

It's not as though she would have to sprout wings during the game. It could take place in such a different era or whathaveyou that this particular Epona has wings for whatever reason.
Oh totally, Nintendo could pull it off and we would love them for it. I'd love to see a game take place faaaar down the timeline, beyond any of the games we know of after so much has changed throughout its history that they've built the land into this clean, Greek-inspired metropolis of sorts, with marble slab buildings and pavement covering huge portions of the land. I could see Death Mountain as a Mt. Olympus equivalent with the white marble built around it as a stark contrast with its ashen rock. Basically the type of architecture seen in the Temple of Time in TP, but everywhere. It would be based in the future, but rather than go the typical technological-overrun route, perhaps the people of Hyrule decided that it was in the best interest of the country to expand and change the face of the land to serve as an expansive alter to the Goddesses. It could be a conquest to purify Hyrule so they could be forever blessed and protected by the Goddesses and the Triforce.

But of course, someone like Ganon would come and royally screw it up.

Jonas

Smash Champion
It would be cool to see Zelda Wii take place in a much later time period. Like, ST takes place in the distant future compared to other Zeldas. Even in PH, the steam engine was already invented :p
I wouldn't mind Link controlling an actual plane, a Zelda-styled biplane.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

Scott!

Smash Lord
Interesting, verrry interesting. E3 should be fun times indeed. This does confirm swordplay in the game though. Not surprising, but I remember some people speculating that it would be gone. I wonder what exactly they mean in this change though? Perhaps the dungeons will be more integrated into the overworld and less isolated and linear. Something like the 3rd Dark World dungeon in ALttP comes to mind, where there were multiple entrances that you needed to find and use to beat the game. I also think of Okami, where the line between world and dungeon, while still distinct, was more blurry than in Zelda games. No matter what they do, though, I have absolute faith in them pulling off something very good if not amazing.

Mewter

Smash Master
I love what Nintendo is doing here.
Break the old formula? Go for it. :)

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Good to see some change happening.

Nooo, not THAT kind of change!

For me, Zelda was getting a little stale (Not to be offensive. Zelda is still my favorite game). Items were being reused over and over again, same bosses, and same basic combat and temple structures. Change is gonna do it good.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Good to see some change happening.

Nooo, not THAT kind of change!

For me, Zelda was getting a little stale (Not to be offensive. Zelda is still my favorite game). Items were being reused over and over again, same bosses, and same basic combat and temple structures. Change is gonna do it good.
SWF should re-instate the rep system for this post.

But yeah, Zelda's been long overdue for a mix-up. The series really hasn't changed much from OoT, and even then, that game was a lot like a 3D ALttP, if anything. Bring it on, Aonuma!

Now if only Nintendo would risk a change with their other franchises...

Top Bottom