• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something Most People Don't Know About You...(Read the OP before posting, please)

Radium88

Smash Lord
Thank you muches! I think I just make so many mistakes that I just feel like this horrible person.

And doh! You had family issues, too? Glad you have gotten over it! I really don't think much of my family, but I think a lot about other people and "friends."
And from what I seen your sister seems close to you (?) correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it is just siblings I'm glad you still have someone blood related to be there despite your parents (if it was the parents issues?) Anyhow, I'm happy you can stay so positive despite everything!
Making mistakes is a part of life and anybody who thinks they don't make any are delusional. The best thing you can do is learn from them.

You may have been hurt by some of the people close to you but you can't assume that all your friends are like that. There are people who care about you and thinking they are being insincere could hurt them. Don't think of yourself as a bad person for thinking negatively but you may want to try and change that.

Yeah, my younger sister really looked up to me. She is basically almost a copy of myself. I try to make sure she is thinking on her own two feet. We are really close and we can confide in each other because we both respect each other's opinions. I try to not tell her what to do but give her a perspective and see how views it.

Also, I like what Reset posted. That is basically what I did to try and get my confidence up. I actually did talk to myself in the mirror and complimented myself and reminded myself of the good things I've done. It's not really narcissistic because you're not full of yourself; you're not already arrogant.

Very inspiring, Rauleen. May I quote part of this to people?
It's the "trite" things people forget easily and take for granted, even if it's extremely necessary.

I was emotional broken in elementary school to the point where I still have low to none self esteem even today. I literally gave up on people and started to study them; as oppose to interact with them. People would continue to tease me, but I would ignore it. I would also ignore the good things too, not believing them because they were just being "nice". Since I was acting as I wanted too, I slowly found out that people liked/respected me for what I was doing anyways. Sadly I didn't care what anyone thought, not even my closest friends and family.
It wasn't until College that I finally forgave humanity, but because I was a shadow in High School I am still very shy deep down. OUGA helped break most of that shell (though I am still paying for it, not as bad as it sounds) to become the person I am today. I am just now learning what people think of me... but I'm still having a hard time believing them.

While I still like doing things because I like doing them, I sometimes feel I get left behind. For example: OUGA is now a great group at Ohio University (has become beyond a Smash club, since only about half the members play smash every time). When I started to lead it, there was about a handful of guys. (most are still there: POPS, T-800, KBRO, Framerate, McFly, VirtV9) We would only have a smash setup. I threw one tournament (Rise of the Champion) before I left OU (something I wish I did more of....). Since then, there have been almost 3 times the members with a third of them being girls as well. Each Friday, people bring in TVs so other games can be played. Also the back of the room is filled with laptops with people playing WoW, LoL, or TF2. Plus they now started having parties and events outside of gaming (similar to what NEOH has been doing lately). I am very proud of them. Sadly, they are doing everything I wanted out of OUGA.... and much more just when I can no longer be there all the time. (except they aren't official yet... lolz)
This kind of thing happens with my friends and family too, where I'll leave them alone for a month or two... then all of a sudden they have a career job or a serious relationship they enjoy. When I'm with them, I get sense of holding them back and thus eject myself from situations. As far as I know, they couldn't do those things unless I was a friend during the time with them. Or I really do hold people back. I honestly don't know. I don't ask because I'm not even sure if I would believe them. Or maybe I don't want to know the truth. Who knows.
Thanks! That means a lot.

Also, why think of it so negatively?

OUGA: Be proud that this club has taken root and started to branch out. You were a part of its history. "Rome wasn't built in a day" Just because the club didn't branch out when you were leading it doesn't mean you were hindering it. Things take time.

Family: What I said previously. At the time you were at home, maybe things were just starting to take root. You did say you were gone for months before you got back, so things could have started after you left. You can't assume that you, and you alone, were the main thing hindering people. It's like when people focus only on the negative happenings in their life and assume they are bad luck.

Finally got around to saying something although I feel like the first post was worded better.... :/

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Thanks! That means a lot.

Also, why think of it so negatively?

OUGA: Be proud that this club has taken root and started to branch out. You were a part of its history. "Rome wasn't built in a day" Just because the club didn't branch out when you were leading it doesn't mean you were hindering it. Things take time.

Family: What I said previously. At the time you were at home, maybe things were just starting to take root. You did say you were gone for months before you got back, so things could have started after you left. You can't assume that you, and you alone, were the main thing hindering people. It's like when people focus only on the negative happenings in their life and assume they are bad luck.

Finally got around to saying something although I feel like the first post was worded better.... :/
Thanks, I think I do know all this deep down. But I guess I have problems letting go of the past.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
It tastes bad. It's not the alcohol that's in it, it's just it taste like BEWTS. I'll just stick to my grown man.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I actually hate going home on break and dread it as soon as I realize I have to go back. I don't hate my family, but the rules they have for things really basic are stifling for me.

They keep saying **** to me that I'm not grown and whatnot, which I already intrunsically know, but they still treat me like I'm 17 or something. there's nothing around and I always have to be looking around so that I don't "disturb" them.

Feels bad man. I can't wait until Im financially ready to move out.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Alright, so here's the deal. My mom is a compulsive hoarder. Straight up.

On saving things:
Mom said:
It's more economical to always save something that you spend money on. If you get rid of it, then find out you need it later, you have to go buy another one.
On why Swiffer dusters are a waste of money:
Mom said:
You can just do that with a rag*. Rags don't cost anything. Maybe someday when you're paying the bills you'll understand**
*Usually a t-shirt or sweat pants cut up with a pair of dull scissors, because they're still perfectly good.
**neglecting to recognize that I do, in fact, pay the bills.

I hate my parent's house, and I hate going home to it, even more so now that I live on my own. I remember in high school how I never felt comfortable inviting people over to hang out, which made it harder to form friendships with people. In fact I was always careful to keep people from coming to my house, because it was such an embarrassment.

Nothing here is ever clean or organized. There's a lot of psuedo-organization; tacky mismatched bookcases filled with old books and other knickknacks no one needs, bookcases, bookcases everywhere, some piled high with board games leftover from the 70s and 80s that no one every plays. So yeah, apart from bookcases and shelves, furniture is sparse and poorly implemented. Not guest friendly at all.

The house is dirty all the time. The whole house is carpeted, but rarely vacuumed. Kitchen floor is the exception (tile floor) , but it's always dirty, too. Mom always complains about how she can't be expected to cook and clean all the time, but the problem with that argument is that she never does either, and then expects others to clean up her mess.

The kitchen is always a wreck. More bookcases filled with cookbooks that are never used because she never cooks, shelves lined with antique jars and appliances. Cabinets have been without handles since we moved here 5 years ago. She removed them because they "needed to be polished" with some grit removing solvent, but she never got around to it. Cases of CDs, cassettes, and other crap take up counter space so it's impossible to use the counter for, you know, cooking.

None of our furniture matches. Not that it matters, since the purpose of furniture around here is to set more stuff on. It's common to see giant piles of newspapers, coupon books, and other **** everywhere.

This goes on in every room. Dust accumulates everywhere, just making it a bad environment to be in. My allergies always flare up when I come back.

Whenever I even try to bring it up to her she just closes off and won't talk about it. It isn't just me either, my brother Aaron (22) is more affected by it than I am. He's a much more emotional guy than me.

What really pisses me off is that I have two younger brothers, Andrew (18) and Karl (16), still living in that pigsty. Andrew's been dating a girl for like 6 months who my parents still haven't met because there's no way in hell Andrew's going to bring her to that house. And there's so much double standard stuff that happens, too. Like, if they leave their Wii or Xbox out in the leaving room without putting back in the cabinet (our entertainment center is from 1979 or something) it gets confiscated. THE HOUSE IS A ****ING DISASTER ZONE AND YOU'RE CONFISCATING THEIR WII BECAUSE THEY AREN'T CLEANING UP AFTER THEMSELVES? Give me a ****ing break.

My dad is pretty complacent about it all. He knows it's useless to resist my mom's habits, and he's a pretty laid back guy, so he just kinda rolls with the punches.

What should I do, guys? I'm tired of dealing with my mom's ****. I never had friends here, ever. And as it stands right now, this is not a house I would take a girlfriend/fiance to, and it's sure as hell not a place I'd take my grandkids to. It's really not even a place I want to go home to for the holidays. I love my parents, and I want to involve them in my life, but I can't do it at their house anymore, it's just not happening.

Bah, [/rant] for now, just needed to vent.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Compulsions are a horrible thing. How long has she suffered from hoarding? Is she actually aware of the problems it's causing for the rest of you? Or is she just trying to ignore it?

What if you took an indirect approach? Get your father on your side somehow, talking to him privately. If you can't get through to her normally through regular conversation, be indirectly forceful. If she isn't going to want to realize that she has a problem, and that it's affecting others, and just wants to ignore it, you're going to have to make her realize it. There's medication that can help, yes, but don't take that path in the conversation. Focus the conversation not so much on the fact that she has a problem, but more so on the fact that the nature and atmosphere that your brothers are living in is huge problem that needs attention. Don't take the "you have a problem that we have to fix" path, take the "Andrew and Karl shouldn't live in this enviornment, something really needs to change" route. Coming from someone else who's overly compulsive, going this direction should get a better result. She's probably really defensive about her problem, so you need to avoid bringing it up in a way that causes her to drown you out.

The same goes when talking to your father. Make him aware of what his children are going through. He probably knows of it, that the problem is there, but he needs to know just how serious it is. I wish you the best of luck. I know what it's like.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
When I was younger, I used to suck on AA batteries. Eventually one blew up in my mouth and I stopped ever since.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Panty and Stocking is by far the most hilarious anime I've seen so far.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I used to consider myself one, then I found out more about it. Yeaaah~

Rikku~

Smash Apprentice
She has 16,000 Pokemon plushies, plus a Yoshi one.

She's furry hardcore.
I have ONE pokemon plushie... the Lapras that YOU of all people happened to get for me! oh and I wonder who gave me the Yoshi.... oh yea, that was YOU too Auspher!

Radium88

Smash Lord
That's not being a furry, tbh,
The term furry is now really an umbrella term. The obsession with plushies/stuffed animals is also considered being a furry. I forgot the term for plushie lovers.... but don't quote me on that...

I like learning about different fetishes but that goes along with liking the psychology. I enjoy watching documentaries about serial killers, sexualities, etc. and just the different types of people.

Top Bottom