• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Can we publically outpower the silly notion that the stagelist should remain as it is? Can we press the hosts for finding a better TV system?

IDK, MAYBE IT'S JUST ME. I want raleigh to be phenominal.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I personally favor this current stagelist. The overly conservative crap got old after a while.

The TV situation I'm neutral on. They didn't bother me personally but I could see why people would have a gripe with them.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
MLG stage list is fine and the events(so far) have been astounding.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Honestly, I was skeptical at first but the stages are perfectly fine. I haven't been to an MLG event yet, but the TVs would definitely be a problem without component cables... they need to address that asap.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Uh they definitely use component cables, but CCs don't eliminate lag all together, they just reduce it by a lot. In this case the lag is only 1 or 2 frames. It's not ideal, but 10-to-1 MLG doesn't bust out some old CRTs from the basement to appease the Brawl crowd.

If you've ever played on a newer TV using regular Wii cables you know the difference and it is huge and basically unplayable.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Honestly, I was skeptical at first but the stages are perfectly fine. I haven't been to an MLG event yet, but the TVs would definitely be a problem without component cables... they need to address that asap.
They use component cables on every setup, its fine.

Regarding crts, personally I think its silly for any gaming community to complain about the lack of crt monitors because they won't be around forever and they're already scarce...

Using an lcd or plasma tv with composite cables is definitely unplayable and unacceptable-- no one should be doing that-- but using component or vga connectors is perfectly fine.

I'm mostly okay with the stage list but it definitely needs a little work. I don't think green greens or norfair should be on, and japes shouldn't be banned, but other than that it's mostly fine by me.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
As long as the TVs are good, I'm good. I heavily doubt MLG will do anything about it, it's a lot of extra cash down the drain... But IF they do, I will have to give 'em two big thumbs up for appealing to the gamers.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Uh they definitely use component cables, but CCs don't eliminate lag all together, they just reduce it by a lot. In this case the lag is only 1 or 2 frames. It's not ideal, but 10-to-1 MLG doesn't bust out some old CRTs from the basement to appease the Brawl crowd.

If you've ever played on a newer TV using regular Wii cables you know the difference and it is huge and basically unplayable.
Why is it unplayable? I've done it b4, but I'm using a older TV now...

iRJi

Smash Champion
False. The TVs are not good. I will get on this as soon as possible.

The stage list is also flawed.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Even though I got straight stomped at MLG Columbus, I honestly didn't have a problem with the TVs. I've played at some locals with TERRIBLE screen lag, and this wasn't too noticeable.

Of course there was some lag, don't get me wrong.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I don't think the RV issue is a big deal. I've been playing on an HDTV since before MLG announced the game. Component cables reduce the lag by a lot (and they use component cables).

HDTV's are cheap guys, it wouldn't kill you to invest in one if you go to a lot of MLG events. And it really doesn't mess you up a lot going back and forth. And as far as frame perfect things go, as long as you warm up a little (if you're going from a tube TV to an HDTV) you should be fine.

The only stages I really don't like are Green Greens because of exploding apples and being a bad stage and Norfair for just being a bad stage.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Actually, those frame perfect things will be messed up even if you warm up. As soon as you see an attack on top of you, you have 3 frames to react to it in order to powershield. If the TVs have even 1 single frame of lag, that window changes. You now can't powershield consistently, because now you can't do it at the last possible moment and instead you have to condition yourself to powershield before the attack happens. it's why everyone hates WiFi, to tell you the truth; even minimal lag changes one's performance.

Sane thing with frame-precise things like Sheik's DACUS. It's frame-precise (I think it was 1 frame?), so lag by 1 frame will throw everyone off.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
I really don't know anything about the TVs however the stage list could be fixed a little. MK has too much of an advantage, and DDD has way too much power on Green Greens

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I really don't know anything about the TVs however the stage list could be fixed a little. MK has too much of an advantage, and DDD has way too much power on Green Greens
That's why Ook beat Haze's DDD there right? Theorycraft be ****ed.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Sane thing with frame-precise things like Sheik's DACUS. It's frame-precise (I think it was 1 frame?), so lag by 1 frame will throw everyone off.
not exactly.... the input is still the same. laggy tvs are def. a potential problem but i haven't played on any of them so I couldn't say for myself.

But the stagelist is ********. Green greens and norfair should be off.

I heard mikehaze lost to ook only because Green Greens killed him. ****s ********

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I heard mikehaze lost to ook only because Green Greens killed him. ****s ********
Don't john for Mike. He was very smug about how he'd perform from what I picked up and Ook still 2 stocked Mike's Marth during the set. Why even attempt to discredit the work he did? That's almost as bad as Mike still talking **** after Ook beat him.

Sallllllllllllllty

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
He lost because he down-threw Ook into a bomb that blew them both up and he died first. It was an incredibly epic match and a totally legit set. Ook too good!

...but yeah Green Greens still shouldn't be on, haha.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
He lost because he down-threw Ook into a bomb that blew them both up and he died first. It was an incredibly epic match and a totally legit set. Ook too good!

Too bad that match wasn't on one of the center stage TVs. There was about 80 people huddled around for that matchup, and then it just erupted when that happened.

I'm not sure if I heard more of an uproar from the Smash area all weekend, to be honest.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
most people here seem to think green greens and norfair should be gone and i can see why, but adhd probably wants something with 5 or 3 starters and 4 or 6 counter picks.

I honestly think that people who really want to change the stagelist are either really stupid or really biased. ADHD finds his "neutral advantage" of starting on sv/bf/fd much more acceptable than mk starting on delfino or snake on halberd, if that where to ever happen.

Also another thing people don't seem to understand is that with 9 starters someone can strike all the "neutral starters" regardless of what striking system is used. 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 simply means someone will strike those stages after you strike yours. The 3-4-1 system is actually very beneficial to the lower seed because the higher seed has 3 chances to strike a stage the lower seed dislikes, he might even strike 3 out of your 4 planned strikes. Now while the lower seed is striking the higher seed will only have 1 planned strike which would be his next worst stage. If you happen to do it for him then you simply even things out but even so you should be heading for your 2 best stages.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

He also DI'd toward the right probably anticipating his followup and not realizing the bomb was there until it was too late. Who knows who would have died first if he had gone upward with Ook. Still a totally legit set and I'm glad I got to see it live and chant for the MW. xD

Ook is the MAN.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I´m quite sure that anyone using fox at green greens wont have too much problem with D3...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes. Green Green explodes without any player interaction with stage objects...wait...

As we know, people don't kill people, guns do. Actually, wait, no, guns don't kill people, the bullets do. Wait, no, I'm still wrong, bullets don't kill people, arterial damage kills people.

That is basically the same logic as "stages kill people".

Don't look at the blocks exploding, but instead, look at WHO made them explode. Who hit who into what blocks. Who hit what blocks, when, or why. Same thing goes for Norfair, its not "I got hit by lava" but instead, "how did I get stuck in a position that caused me to be hit by lava" or "why did I lose the battle for bottom platform, resulting in me to be forced on the top platforms over MK". These are the questions to ask.

ADHD

Smash Hero
most people here seem to think green greens and norfair should be gone and i can see why, but adhd probably wants something with 5 or 3 starters and 4 or 6 counter picks.

I honestly think that people who really want to change the stagelist are either really stupid or really biased. ADHD finds his "neutral advantage" of starting on sv/bf/fd much more acceptable than mk starting on delfino or snake on halberd, if that where to ever happen.

Also another thing people don't seem to understand is that with 9 starters someone can strike all the "neutral starters" regardless of what striking system is used. 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 simply means someone will strike those stages after you strike yours. The 3-4-1 system is actually very beneficial to the lower seed because the higher seed has 3 chances to strike a stage the lower seed dislikes, he might even strike 3 out of your 4 planned strikes. Now while the lower seed is striking the higher seed will only have 1 planned strike which would be his next worst stage. If you happen to do it for him then you simply even things out but even so you should be heading for your 2 best stages.
No, neutrals are not an advantage ro me, falco, or ice climber players, they are merely just fair and the only non-disadvantaged areas. Also, if as you claim is true with the striking business, I would not have had to play on lylat constantly game 1. I don't know when grounded characters having to play on flat stages become an edge over other individuals, but that's absolute bull****. Janky results will keep happening if the rules continue as they are, and mlg will lose a ton of publicity. But w.e, I don't have to attend raleigh.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So Nickriddle beating Tyrant's MK with ZSS on Rainbow Cruise is...MLGs fault?

Or Esam beating DSF's MK on Norfair with Pikachu...

Or Ook beating MikeHaze's Dedede on Green Green's with Donkey Kong...

Or Gnes beating TearBear's MK on Rainbow Cruise with Diddy Kong...

I think you are thinking only from the perspective of Diddy Kong (and even then...I don't think Gnes would have lost to DSF on Rainbow Cruise like you did after watching how he played on the stage), and not from the perspective of looking at the majority of possible match ups in the game. Players using (supposedly) much, much worse characters then Diddy Kong have now done more then you at MLG events.

Nick Riddle beat Tyrant and Ally back to back with ZSS. Yet you want to attribute "janky" results to the stages and not these players accomplishments?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I'd like to add no one is forcing you to play diddy kong round one or any round. If you feel your being undercut by stages its your fault for picking a character that doesn't do as well on them. Obviously there are other characters that seem to be doing well on these stages that are not solely metaknight

ADHD

Smash Hero
So Nickriddle beating Tyrant's MK with ZSS on Rainbow Cruise is...MLGs fault?

Or Esam beating DSF's MK on Norfair with Pikachu...

Or Ook beating MikeHaze's Dedede on Green Green's with Donkey Kong...

Or Gnes beating TearBear's MK on Rainbow Cruise with Diddy Kong...

I think you are thinking only from the perspective of Diddy Kong (and even then...I don't think Gnes would have lost to DSF on Rainbow Cruise like you did after watching how he played on the stage), and not from the perspective of looking at the majority of possible match ups in the game. Players using (supposedly) much, much worse characters then Diddy Kong have now done more then you at MLG events.

Nick Riddle beat Tyrant and Ally back to back with ZSS. Yet you want to attribute "janky" results to the stages and not these players accomplishments?
Rainbow is zero suit's best counterpick..

Pikachu is good on rainbow cruise.

Ook ***** DDD, and has had practice on that stage, regardless of the infinite (lol bomb kill).

Gnes is way better than tearbear. In fact, gnes is on my level. That was bound to happen.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Green Green explodes without any player interaction with stage objects...wait...

As we know, people don't kill people, guns do. Actually, wait, no, guns don't kill people, the bullets do. Wait, no, I'm still wrong, bullets don't kill people, arterial damage kills people.

That is basically the same logic as "stages kill people".

Don't look at the blocks exploding, but instead, look at WHO made them explode. Who hit who into what blocks. Who hit what blocks, when, or why. Same thing goes for Norfair, its not "I got hit by lava" but instead, "how did I get stuck in a position that caused me to be hit by lava" or "why did I lose the battle for bottom platform, resulting in me to be forced on the top platforms over MK". These are the questions to ask.
This is interesting, but if it comes down to both players being as conservative as possible to interact with the stage in the very least, won't we end with with long, tedious matches? Will we have players not performing at their peak?

I suppose whether that is bad or not pretty much rides on opinion... ? But your passionate argument for Green Green's makes one wonder why the same reasoning wouldn't apply to say, um, Jungle Japes...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wouldn't mind having Jungle Japes. ;)

Unfortunately though rule decisions are made by a couple people working together and coming to mutual agreement. Not by a single person.

Also I find it ironic that I made the post about looking at who made the blocks explode, only to see ADHD completely misunderstand how Ook won vs Havok (Havok down threw Ook when he was standing right next to a block that was there for several seconds, anyone that would play the stage would know that it would have exploded, but of course haters are only gonna see the explosion and not the stupid play that caused it). I doubt he even watched the match because Havoks mistake was so obvious.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Rainbow is zero suit's best counterpick..

Pikachu is good on rainbow cruise.

Ook ***** DDD, and has had practice on that stage, regardless of the infinite (lol bomb kill).

Gnes is way better than tearbear. In fact, gnes is on my level. That was bound to happen.
Enough excuses Wyatt. You just said it yourself, Ook practiced to be able to overcome a huge obstacle for his character (DDD), and in this case...a double whammy (DDD with Green Greens wall infinites).

Yes...Pikachu and ZSS are good on Rainbow Cruise, Metaknight is arguably better anyway.

Gnes is better than Tearbear, so what? Tearbear still had the advantage on Cruise and Gnes overcame it, so it's a valid point to make regardless.

In addition to your TV johns, the overall pessimism from you is just becoming annoying. Just practice to overcome any little annoyances for yourself like these guys have and do work. The complaining is getting old. Sure, you got 6th at Orlando, it sucks, we get it. Now what are you going to do about it instead of cry about everything MLG related?

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind having Jungle Japes. ;)

Unfortunately though rule decisions are made by a couple people working together and coming to mutual agreement. Not by a single person.

Also I find it ironic that I made the post about looking at who made the blocks explode, only to see ADHD completely misunderstand how Ook won vs Havok (Havok down threw Ook when he was standing right next to a block that was there for several seconds, anyone that would play the stage would know that it would have exploded, but of course haters are only gonna see the explosion and not the stupid play that caused it). I doubt he even watched the match because Havoks mistake was so obvious.
Having watched that 3rd match now... Green Greens made for a pretty intense match... and the hazards didn't seem any worse than other legal stages. Hell, DK even got to camp DDD for once.

But really, I just want to see Japes back in action :'( *sniff*

Conti

Smash Ace
Just throwing it out there... rainbow has always been a legal cp and we've seen upsets on it before... we should be talking about the actual stage list and not RC...
IMO I like the variety... but it to me also is hurting certain characters... typical examples, ICs, Falco, and others...

I know I'm not extremely knowledgable or anything of brawl... but maybe we should consider a 7 stage starter list... and remove two counterpicks in response...
Possibly GGs and Norfair...

That's just my opinion... But throwing it out there to stirr ideas

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Visual lag affects reaction times, not input time.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
No, neutrals are not an advantage ro me, falco, or ice climber players, they are merely just fair and the only non-disadvantaged areas. Also, if as you claim is true with the striking business, I would not have had to play on lylat constantly game 1. I don't know when grounded characters having to play on flat stages become an edge over other individuals, but that's absolute bull****. Janky results will keep happening if the rules continue as they are, and mlg will lose a ton of publicity. But w.e, I don't have to attend raleigh.
adhd neutrals don't exist why can't you understand that. FD isn't a neutral it gives diddy a sever advantage on it. FD won't be neutral in the IC vs gannon match up.

When your striking you end up on the most neutral stage for that particular match or player's preference. If you kept ending up on lylat that is because that was most likely the most neutral stage against diddy available. If you allow every single stage on brawl and strike them off 1 by 1 your going to end up on the most neutral stage for those 2 players preference and current match up.

It became an edge when your character gained that edge... I don't want to insult you but seriously your being dumb or really biased for your character. **** its like saying when did snake having a strong uptilt become an edge on halberd.

edit: my grammar ****en sucks =/ sorry

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I wanted to say stuff. But kingbeef said it all.

So I guess what I want to say is, go read what beef said, he's smart.

Gnes

Smash Master
To be honest i see where wyatt is coming from. Like whenever i played a mk, they immediately struck battlefield smashville FD and every time it ended up going to lylat. It pretty much makes the set start off at a disadvantage, which is bad, considering 90% of the time u need to win the first match against mk to win the set.

I know its chr. biased, but im sure some other chrs. had some issue with the stage list. And if they didn't oh well wyatt, i guess we'll just have to get through it.

The gayest stage i got taken to was green greens by judge. The stage isn't that bad u just gotta be REALLY REALLY SAFE. Personally i wish it wasn't on there, but whatever.

ADHD

Smash Hero
adhd neutrals don't exist why can't you understand that. FD isn't a neutral it gives diddy a sever advantage on it. FD won't be neutral in the IC vs gannon match up.

When your striking you end up on the most neutral stage for that particular match or player's preference. If you kept ending up on lylat that is because that was most likely the most neutral stage against diddy available. If you allow every single stage on brawl and strike them off 1 by 1 your going to end up on the most neutral stage for those 2 players preference and current match up.

It became an edge when your character gained that edge... I don't want to insult you but seriously your being dumb or really biased for your character. **** its like saying when did snake having a strong uptilt become an edge on halberd.

edit: my grammar ****en sucks =/ sorry
There is no edge, wtf. Alright, fine. We'll strip everything and just go to smashville. BUT WAIT, SMASHVILLE IS UNFAIR, SO WE MISE WELL GO TO HANENBOW!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hanenbow is even less fair than Smashville. You can't even begin to make an argument to support your sarcastic remark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom