• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
To be honest i see where wyatt is coming from. Like whenever i played a mk, they immediately struck battlefield smashville FD and every time it ended up going to lylat. It pretty much makes the set start off at a disadvantage, which is bad, considering 90% of the time u need to win the first match against mk to win the set.

I know its chr. biased, but im sure some other chrs. had some issue with the stage list. And if they didn't oh well wyatt, i guess we'll just have to get through it.

The gayest stage i got taken to was green greens by judge. The stage isn't that bad u just gotta be REALLY REALLY SAFE. Personally i wish it wasn't on there, but whatever.
You just haven't thought of it from the other persons perspective. If you where an mk playing you and knowing you very well what are the 1st 3 stages you would strike and the final 4th to decided the last stage? It's really all to avoid diddy starting off with an advantage just like you strike FD and halberd against snake.

I really disliked the old 5 stage system because everytime i faced a diddy i always felt like i started out at a disadvantage. This became the norm for you guys and now that you lost and are playing on a much more neutral ground you feel at a disadvantage.

There is no edge, wtf. Alright, fine. We'll strip everything and just go to smashville. BUT WAIT, SMASHVILLE IS UNFAIR, SO WE MISE WELL GO TO HANENBOW!
Seriously? you don't think ICs gain an edge on FD? alright adhd please tell me what your top 3 counter picks are if no stages where allowed to be banned and you where in a best of 7 that allowed you to counter pick all 3 times where would you go?

It's so odd that with brawl we tried to move away from the word neutrals yet adhd is fixated on them being real and being used over the vastly superior strike system.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You just haven't thought of it from the other persons perspective. If you where an mk playing you and knowing you very well what are the 1st 3 stages you would strike and the final 4th to decided the last stage? It's really all to avoid diddy starting off with an advantage just like you strike FD and halberd against snake.

I really disliked the old 5 stage system because everytime i faced a diddy i always felt like i started out at a disadvantage. This became the norm for you guys and now that you lost and are playing on a much more neutral ground you feel at a disadvantage.

Seriously? you don't think ICs gain an edge on FD? alright adhd please tell me what your top 3 counter picks are if no stages where allowed to be banned and you where in a best of 7 that allowed you to counter pick all 3 times where would you go?

It's so odd that with brawl we tried to move away from the word neutrals yet adhd is fixated on them being real and being used over the vastly superior strike system.
Ics start on smashville for a reason?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Everyone gets 4 strikes. And against diddy there are 3 REQUIRED strikes, meaning personal stage preference only plays a part in one of those strikes against diddy. That's RIDICULOUS.

*****ing and moaning about diddy on starters is just stupid. Shut up adhd.

Kel

Smash Master
The stage list is perfect and the striking format is HOW THE BBR INTENDED STAGE STRIKING TO WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. The idea is NOT to get a "neutral" stage. The idea is for the two individual players/ teams to be able to eliminate an equal number of stages and be left with the even ground between the match up/ player's preference. This is how it always should have been and it makes game one more about skill. This is why we don't refer to the starters as "neutral." we refer to them as starter because we acknowledge that there is no "neutral" stage. Thank you.

TL;dr:
Diddy Kongs are mad because they don't get two CPs a set instead of one.

Conti

Smash Ace
I got ignored... but seriously... LOOK AT THE PAST 2 MLG EVENT RESULTS... the list has gave ICs like no chance... Falco and Diddy have trouble as well... I can also see other characters having trouble but these 3 are the main issue...

So there's a lot of biasness going on and we should look at it as a whole... And let's not talk about MK cuz we all know about MK so why continue discussing a pointless arguement...

I got ignored so I'm going to try to say this again...
Obviously a 9 starter stage is a disadvantage to diddy/ic/falco... and A 5 stage starter list is in favor of them...

SO HOW BOUT WE COMPROMISE WITH A 7STAGE STARTER LIST AND REMOVE 2 CPS... PROBLEM SOLVED....

Merkuri

Smash Lord
The stage list is perfect and the striking format is HOW THE BBR INTENDED STAGE STRIKING TO WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. The idea is NOT to get a "neutral" stage. The idea is for the two individual players/ teams to be able to eliminate an equal number of stages and be left with the even ground between the match up/ player's preference. This is how it always should have been and it makes game one more about skill. This is why we don't refer to the starters as "neutral." we refer to them as starter because we acknowledge that there is no "neutral" stage. Thank you.

TL;dr:
Diddy Kongs are mad because they don't get two CPs a set instead of one.
I kinda of think posts like this are dumb. The point the people who are against the current rule set are trying to make is that the many of the stages which are legal under MLG rule set are unfair or unbalanced, they are lopsided in the favor of too many characters or they cause a severe disadvantage to too many characters. With a stage like norfair legal how can you sensibly argue that the rule set is fine?

And the idea is to get a neutral, neutral are stages that give the least amount of advantages and disadvantages to the entire cast, it's only fair and sensible for the first matches to be played on those stages. If all the stages favor Metaknight and only a few stages favor Wario(I'm just throwing names out there) then Metaknight has a a huge advantage if strikes the stages Wario does good on, or even all the stages Metaknight doesn't **** on.

Under the current rule set when all stages are stricken then the remaining stage isn't neutral ground because it is still in the favor of characters like metaknight or whatever other characters that the MLG rule set heavily favor.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
KB you need to chill man lol

And...I think that we should just be thankful that MLG is allowing brawl events to occur.

I will agree that it is not very diddy/falco/IC friendly though.
I am chill lol, but it's getting a little tiring to read Wyatt's pessimism and excuses so I let him know what's up.

And the stage list is not meant to cater to any single character; Metaknight just happens to perform the best on most of them and it's not something that can be helped. I mean...are people really that surprised that MK would do well on a more diverse stagelist? It's Metaknight. Done deal.

SO HOW BOUT WE COMPROMISE WITH A 7STAGE STARTER LIST AND REMOVE 2 CPS... PROBLEM SOLVED....
Or maybe they're just simply not as good as they would be on a more ridiculously conservative stage list live we've seen for the past two years.

SO HOW ABOUT THOSE MAINS STOP CRYING AND USE MORE FLEXIBLE CHARACTERS ...PROBLEM SOLVED. :laugh:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Sucks to suddenly be playing a character that doesn't work because of arbitrary rules, doesn't it? Solution: pick a better character.

NNID
Budget_Player
I got ignored... but seriously... LOOK AT THE PAST 2 MLG EVENT RESULTS... the list has gave ICs like no chance... Falco and Diddy have trouble as well... I can also see other characters having trouble but these 3 are the main issue...

So there's a lot of biasness going on and we should look at it as a whole... And let's not talk about MK cuz we all know about MK so why continue discussing a pointless arguement...

I got ignored so I'm going to try to say this again...
Obviously a 9 starter stage is a disadvantage to diddy/ic/falco... and A 5 stage starter list is in favor of them...

Or how about we accept that falco/Diddy/ICs are just not as good in this ruleset?
It's like how (insert character here cuz I suck at knowing things) is just not as good in a 3-starter ruleset, or how MK is worse with a LGL, or how DDD is worse without his infinites.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
And the idea is to get a neutral, neutral are stages that give the least amount of advantages and disadvantages to the entire cast, it's only fair and sensible for the first matches to be played on those stages. If all the stages favor Metaknight and only a few stages favor Wario(I'm just throwing names out there) then Metaknight has a a huge advantage if strikes the stages Wario does good on, or even all the stages Metaknight doesn't **** on.
WRONG!!!
There are no "neutral" stages in Brawl. Every stage gives different characters benefits. The goal of stage striking it to give an equal amount of advantages to the characters.
Let's take for example Rainbow Cruise. Let's say it is a Stage Strike (don't question this) Now we have a Gdubs Main and MK main. Neither of them strike it and they go to the stage. They both have an equal number of benefits from the stage so it's an even match. Now let's say it's the same Gdubs main and a Falco main. Of course Falco is going to strike it so he doesn't have to deal with an unfair stage for him.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the best solution is to simply remove the distinction between "starter" stages and "CP" stages. Since stage striking already serves as a compromise solution to find the fairest stage in any given match-up (and since starter stages are often used to counterpick) you might as well strike the first stage out of the whole stage list.

:059:

Sky`

Smash Lord
There is no way that these stages are an 'atrocity' in the slightest. Three of them are suspect, but you have the power to strike four in one sitting so What's the big deal?

The TVs... I couldn't B dacus.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think the best solution is to simply remove the distinction between "starter" stages and "CP" stages. Since stage striking already serves as a compromise solution to find the fairest stage in any given match-up (and since starter stages are often used to counterpick) you might as well strike the first stage out of the whole stage list.

This is actually a good point!

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord

Leave it to a Wolf for awesomeness. Gheb, you're an awesome *******.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. I'd definitely do this.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It's a bad idea for several reasons.

Firstly and most importantly, it polarizes matchups a LOT. Take MK who does awesome in a lot of stages and only really has 2 or 3 he wants to avoid. He strikes those 2 or 3 and then starts striking stages that don't have gimmicks. By the end of the striking you will be taken by MK to a level that is much worse for you than Smashville. See the reverse for characters like Ice Climbers.

Secondly, it's very time consuming. If you have 11 legal stages+, you're bound to need time to think about your odds after striking the most obvious stages out. Brawl is slow enough as it is.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's a bad idea for several reasons.

Firstly and most importantly, it polarizes matchups a LOT. Take MK who does awesome in a lot of stages and only really has 2 or 3 he wants to avoid. He strikes those 2 or 3 and then starts striking stages that don't have gimmicks. By the end of the striking you will be taken by MK to a level that is much worse for you than Smashville. See the reverse for characters like Ice Climbers.
Let's take MLG stages as an example: The ruleset has 16 allowed stages - to make it more practical we look at what happens when there are 15 stages (which in theory helps MK more than adding Jungle Japes as 17th stage).

If there are 15 stages, then the IC player can strike 7:
Norfair, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Frigate, Delphino and PS1 are what I assume to be the most likely stages to be banned here (note that PS1 already isn't that bad for this match-up). The MK player also HAS TO strike 7 stages - the most likely stages to be banned by the MK player are Final Destination, Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island and Pictochat.

That leaves PS2, Halberd, Castle Siege and Lylat Cruise as possible starter stages. That doesn't look unfair for that match-up at all.

Secondly, it's very time consuming. If you have 11 legal stages+, you're bound to need time to think about your odds after striking the most obvious stages out. Brawl is slow enough as it is.
It's not really time consuming. Once it becomes standardized people will start to strike the same stages and it'll be done quickly.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.

I am intrigued...

I think it could potentially cause just as many problems as it fixes, but it would still be interesting to try out. Especially if it was done with the higher seed striking, then the lower seed striking more, then the last stage of the remaining 2 being chosen by the higher seed, like in MLG.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I've heard that back in melee midwest was entirely ignored.

I should play melee. Why is the coast with the most ludicrous ideas and worst players the most influential? Why can't it be EC/WC who are by far the most dominant in terms of skill.. Midwest is horrible.
I'm disappointed Wyatt. You never seemed like such an arrogant **** before you got a taste of the top player spotlight. I guess some exposure can certainly change a guy...

Even after those upsets happened at Columbus and people showed that we're not a region to be underestimated, you still choose to spurt this nonsense? Florida even faced the cold shoulder for a while until they eventually shut all the haters up.

You can come back down to earth now.

/facepalm

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm disappointed Wyatt. You never seemed like such an arrogant **** before you got a taste of the top player spotlight. I guess some exposure can certainly change a guy...

Even after those upsets happened at Columbus and people showed that we're not a region to be underestimated, you still choose to spurt this nonsense? Florida even faced the cold shoulder for a while until they eventually shut all the haters up.

You can come back down to earth now.

/facepalm
Nah, I didn't really mean that. Not ALL of midwest is bad. The backroom is just making me hate that region and everyone in it, so I quit. BACK TO HAPPY WYATT.

etecoon

Smash Hero
florida's been known to be really good for a long time wth

also because I'm too lazy too look at the bracket, what upsets occurred exactly? only one I heard much about was ook vs mikehaze, because using ******** *** stages that no other regions practice on is so legit

not saying that MW is bad, but ec/wc are most definitely more prominent and it is ridiculous that the ruleset is based on MW/AZ/OS philosophy while giving everyone else the finger

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
florida's been known to be really good for a long time wth
You're joking right? There was so much of that "they don't travel" crap floating around that it was ridiculous. I'm saying that not enough credit was previously given to their players because of self-indulgence and ignorance toward their capabilities.

also because I'm too lazy too look at the bracket, what upsets occurred exactly? only one I heard much about was ook vs mikehaze, because using ******** *** stages that no other regions practice on is so legit
Don't argue if you're not going to at least put in the effort to educate yourself on the matter. But since I'm feeling generous today: Arty beat Dojo (yes Arty the Falco main, so stop johning about the stages), Ook beat Mikehaze, Judge beat Atomsk, Nicole and Watkins beat Chibo and Vex in doubles, all among others I'm sure.

Haze had already been to Orlando, MLG is already well underway. There is no reason for him to not have had some practice on the stages if that is the case. Stop johning just because you can't get over the fact that the stage list is not crazy-conservative like it always has been. If you can't get out of your comfort zone without sounding like a spoiled little child, that's your own problem; but when you take it upon yourself to john for the top players who lose without even knowing all of the details then it just becomes a sad ordeal to witness. I've never been a fan of your posts in the past but this tops all of your other displays of ignorance and bias toward ideas you can't even seem to comprehend.

not saying that MW is bad, but ec/wc are most definitely more prominent and it is ridiculous that the ruleset is based on MW/AZ/OS philosophy while giving everyone else the finger
And gee...what do we have here with said "ridiculous" philosophy for the past two events: VARIED CHARACTER RESULTS. Even the MK/non-MK ratio was nothing extravagant compared to past occurrences.

Get educated. Get better. Stop johning. Sounds familiar to what a lot of the Midwest used to hear doesn't it?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I kinda of think posts like this are dumb. The point the people who are against the current rule set are trying to make is that the many of the stages which are legal under MLG rule set are unfair or unbalanced, they are lopsided in the favor of too many characters or they cause a severe disadvantage to too many characters. With a stage like norfair legal how can you sensibly argue that the rule set is fine?

Under the current rule set when all stages are stricken then the remaining stage isn't neutral ground because it is still in the favor of characters like metaknight or whatever other characters that the MLG rule set heavily favor.
your a ****en moron....

The new stages favor to many characters? seriously why the **** would you want to ban/limit something that favors a wide number of characters so wide infact that you consider it too many....

**** guys grab helps a lot of characters in this game like at least 35/39 we'd best ban it.

edit:

I've heard that back in melee midwest was entirely ignored.

I should play melee. Why is the coast with the most ludicrous ideas and worst players the most influential? Why can't it be EC/WC who are by far the most dominant in terms of skill.. Midwest is horrible.
Because EC sucks, even if you and anti had gone to mlg and placed in the top 8 it would still be dominated by the south.

Theres no reason to listen to you at all actually everyone ignore adhd he hasn't beaten mk's in like 5 months now.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Jason you're not understanding that though Wyatt may have lost his touch, others are definitely surpassing where he was at as we speak, all due to mlg.

Conti

Smash Ace
Lol I was crying... I'm making a statement...
3 of the top characters according to the current tier list have a big disadvantage with this stagelist and have a much more difficult time now... And if we continue with this ruleset I'm sure they are going to continue to stay inconsitant [with a few top players of them placeing up top... [note no top IC who went all/mostly ICs placed top16 (I think or like 1 person... atomsk don't count because he uses MK D3? and others? [Idk if he even used ic's]

its not hard to see what's going on...
There should really just be a vote on this in either the backroom... maybe just in the mlg discussion...
So yeah maybe add ideas to this but we should vote on...

A 5 starter stage list, with all of mlgs current stages [minus GGs and Norfair]
A 5 Starter stage list, with all of mlgs current stages
A 7 starter stage list, with all of mlgs current stages [minus GGs and norfair]
A 7 starter with all of current...
The current 9stage minus GGs and Norfair
The Current 9stage list

Maybe add Jungle japes

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol Conti, you don't get it at all do you?

They'll just have to get over it and use more flexible characters. Simple as that.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
i have nothing to say myself about the situation but i just gotta say i loved reading this thread it was a very intelligent discussion more like this please and thank you.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Get educated. Get better. Stop johning. Sounds familiar to what a lot of the Midwest used to hear doesn't it?
it's nothing personal, for selfishness reasons I should be all for MLG rules. norfair is a godsend for my character and the striking system is also more advantageous.

and all this is doing is making people dislike MW even more, a simple "don't knock it until you try it" would be much more effective at winning people over than this egocentric "**** every other regions preferences" attitude you've displayed. but then I suppose that actually having people agree with you was never your intent to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom