• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash League - Registration Has Begun

Browny

Smash Hater
Money is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea

each a represents how many times badder it is than a normal idea

no need to explain, im quite sure everyone would agree

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Remember that you need a character that complies to Cao's ruleset.
Perhaps you need to reread the rules, Ted. ;)

To clear up a common error people have made regarding these rules, you do not need to use any of your 3 choices to select a character to fit Cao's challenge. The Thunder Badge and Volcano badge challenges bypass the 3 character limit. This means your party can consist of Snake, Marth and Donkey Kong, while still giving you the freedom of choosing any character you want if you were to challenge Cao as long as it fits his special gym conditions.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i like the money idea, cause everyone has a dollar and it will go to prizes...

@cao: with stupid rules, i can see this happening a lot. good luck beating me with my rules though :)

Toby.

Smash Master
The moneys are just for prizes for people. I know a dollar is like a whole hundred cents nowadays, but it seemed pretty affordable to me.

I don't see why people don't have a problem with spending $5-$15 to enter a tournament, but suddenly $1 to help fund prizes is some sort of money making scheme and Clearly a Bad Idea.

If no one wants prizes I don't care, but considering I said that they *wouldn't* just be for the people who win (ie arrows reference to the elite 4 money making scheme) I'm interested to hear what the problem is.

As for it deterring players from challenges better leaders, I think the chance to get a badge would make it worth a dollar. Maybe not.

If people really don't want prizes I suppose that will make things easier for me anyway.

Browny

Smash Hater
Toby,

Money is the root of all evil

This smash league is meant to be all in good fun. Its that simple :)

Zero

Smash Hero
I think the problem people have with it is that it might possibly deter lesser skilled players from challenging the higher skilled leaders, in fear of wasting a dollar. Thus, the number of gym challenges are lessened and a more inactive event occurs. I feel that for the sake of involving as many people as possible, we leave money out of it in the preliminary stages of implementation. Once we get it kickstarted, it might possibly be a better idea, but for now, I don't think it would be healthy to do it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think a better use of the money is just $5 or something to join the league itself (i.e. allowing you to challenge gym leaders).

Maybe even less than $5. $1 per gym leader may seem steep to noobs, but $5 and being able to challenge a gym leader like once a week or whatever... that's cool :p

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
gym leader rules.. plus elite four rules.. also they are spread all over australia... its way to hard to get any profit for a challenger..

money makes it more complicated.. and there is alot of gimmicks going on so its hard to regulate the fairness. cant we just give some respect =P

Splice

Smash Hero
TrainerName: Splice

Party:
GaW
Wolf
Olimar

If we have to pay $1 per match, and someone loses to the same gym leader numerous times, they could end up spending a lot of money. I wouldn't mind the $5 sign up though.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
the $1 idea is pretty gay as we spent time arguing "equality" and this would certainly make people who arnt "better" the others disadvantaged at some way ($5 registration is okay tho, but is it necessary is the problem.)

and i lol'ed at my bio lol (as well as ted)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Toby,

Money is the root of all evil

This smash league is meant to be all in good fun. Its that simple :)
I think you meant women, just clearning that up for you there buddy ;)

whats this about money? $1? $5? who doesnt have $5, I wipe my *** with $5 (great show)
mm yeah I dunno the points raised about not having to pay money are good points that I agree with, but comeon? 1 dollar?

Toby.

Smash Master
Arrow, entering tournaments won't give a profit to the vast majority of people either. Yet they do it.

I was actually hoping to use the money to help support people who don't have the funding to travel to other states, thereby increasing the diversity of our competition and giving people the chance to challenge all the leaders.

Since I don't have to worry about prize money for first / whatever I can actually use this money to make the scene better rather than just as a big payout to the best player.

And once again 1-5 dollars (im leaning more towards shaya's suggestion now) is not much money. At all.
Anyway I might set up a poll to gague what everyone thinks. I don't want to put off the decision because it would be stupid to change anything half way through.

Zero

Smash Hero
I was actually hoping to use the money to help support people who don't have the funding to travel to other states, thereby increasing the diversity of our competition and giving people the chance to challenge all the leaders.
This is a fantastic idea.

10000fantastics.

The $5 entry fee for everyone, however, would eventually deplete and then no more source of income. Since you can only challenge each leader once per tournament, it's not as if you're losing much money each time if you have the $1 fee. You could buy a bottle of coke or challenge 3 leaders. I'm leaning more towards the $1 per leader idea, as it would help your cause more and it's a pretty insignificant amount.

tedeth

Smash Master
Money != good idea.

Complicates things too much. Even to assist people who can't travel, it will be like "oh I deserve help more than *" which will lead to rage on the part of everyone. (Especially Shaya)

Sieg

Smash Champion
People who need money to travel need to get a job lol.

Money should be earned not given, if you wanna go to OoS tournies, fund yourself.

I'm saying no to money for challenges.

Toby.

Smash Master
People who need money to travel need to get a job lol.

Money should be earned not given, if you wanna go to OoS tournies, fund yourself.

I'm saying no to money for challenges.
That's a very ignorant way of perceiving socio economic factors. It's systems of thought like this that validate telling homeless people to "go help yourself lol", because CLEARLY they are poor because they are lazy.

It's especially ignorant considering the financial crisis we're facing at the moment. The irony of saying that money should be 'earned' by working when we regularly give out cash prizes to people good at playing a party fighting game isn't lost on me either.

You're entitled to your opinion, so I'll leave it there.

...anyway. Ted I realise that figuring out a good system would be difficult. I also think that it would be worth it when we consider the final outcome.

Almost nobody (<3 Zero) seems to like the idea, so I'll scrap it if this trend continues over the next few days.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
PokeMAN:
STEREO
Pokemon:
Snake
Marth
Wario

A bit off topic:
Not sure if it has been said before (couldnt be bothered reading), but dont ppl get an advantage from just picking a random character as a third? That is, they obviously wouldnt win any badges using random and then they could hard counter a gym leader by just changing from random when they need to. Easy win in the bag for one gym:mad:!

Just a thought;)

S.D

Smash Master
I'd probably pay a dollar...

but then guys like ILAG would end up paying thousands of dollars to win all the badges while I spent less than $10 :p

Toby.

Smash Master
If they have a character set to random, it also forces them to complete all prior challenges with just two characters. Also, if there was a hardcounter available and the person had enough room to complete previous challenges with only two characters, they might as well include that hard counter in their team from the start. I don't think random will give anyone an inherent advantage.

good to see you're on board nathan ;)

...and there won't be any money involved in the competition. Wooohooo happy free fun times await :3

Vermy

Smash Champion
Trainer: Vermysaur.

Pokemon:
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard

Real men fight with all pokemans. XD

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
first time on forums in a while just got past a **** amount of assessments, so ill sign up (cant be the only member of our crew to remain uninvolved :( )

TrainerID: FTS (might change my trainer ID)

Pokemon: DK
Snake/DK
Pikachu (i at least need an actual pokemon)/ DK

Top Bottom