• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Application Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
terios is one of maybe 5 people that understand sonic

because you guys clearly don't
i don't trust his falcon knowledge though

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
is that some kind of meme that i missed out on?
"doesnt afraid of anything"
im not the only one that notices that right?
why are so many people using such obviously broken english

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I want to let you know that I am being completely honest with all of my answers. I am also on the boards for a minimum of 2 and a half hours a day, forwarding the metagame of Brawl. (It takes 1 hour 15 min. to drive to my school, and I use a broadband access USB Modem with my laptop) Which means I will be able to dedicate a tremendous amount of time to the SBR. And please actually read the whole thing. Thank You!

1. Smashboards name/common tournament aliases

Nintendogs / NTGS2

2. How long have you been attending tournaments through Smashboards?

Since 2004. (Me and my friend (whose name is Jordan in case you know him) used to share an account in the melee era, although he doesn’t play Brawl)

3. About what rank/place do you usually finish at the tournaments you attend?

1ST and 2nd

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event (Melee or Brawl, Online tournaments do NOT count)? If so, please list the tournaments and the number of players in attendance.

Yes I have, Both Melee and Brawl (also 1 smash 64 tourney). One of my most recent ones was a huge local smash Tournament (Brawl) with 78 people. I usually host a tourney about once a month. Speaking of tourney’s I also think that there should be a couple of changes to the SBR recommended rule list (for TO’s), especially to those that went through some very aggressive debates. I am also an excellent debater.

Here is a list of the tourneys I’ve hosted (local)

2004 - none
I was inspired after I went to my first melee tourney.

2005 – 1 tourney
Mini Melee / Smash Bros. 64 tourney for people who went to my school or who lived in my subdivision

2006 – 3 tourneys
A local Melee tourney for people living in the area.
Another Melee tourney for people in the area.
A tourney on my birthday. Every one of my friends was invited.

2007 – 2 tourneys
I had my first fixed-price tourney hoping more people would come (and they did, but I ended up losing money)
My third local Melee tourney

2008 – 4 tourneys
Brawl Release Tourney for anyone.
Beginning of summer brawl tourney for anyone.
Huge brawl birthday tourney for mostly friends, but anyone could come. (it was about 65%friends and 35% random smashers.
Pretty big Beginning of school year / end of summer local brawl tourney.

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments? On which characters do you consider yourself an expert?

I am a Professional / expert Ice Climbers and G&W player, and very close to being pro with Falco (if you don’t believe me just ask Hylian or check my visitor messages after I brawl someone. They’ll either be in amazement or severely frustrated). I’m also pretty decent with ROB, Kirby, DDD, Snake, Fox, MK, Diddy, Marth, Pikachu, and Toon Link.

Here is a list of the characters I play in the order that I use them.

Main: Ice Climbers (I’m definitely in at least the top 3 of IC players.)
2nd: Game and Watch
3rd: Falco
---------------------------------------------- Above this line (Tourney Characters) Below this line (Characters for Friendlies)
4th: ROB
5th: Kirby
6th: King DDD
7th: Meta Knight
8th: Pikachu
9th: Fox
10th: Snake
11th: Toon link
12th: Diddy
13th: Marth

6. What area/region/community are you from? Examples: East Coast, West Coast, Texas, NYC, DC area, South Florida, Toronto, Northern Europe, etc...

I’m from the West Coast.

7. How do you participate within and improve your community?

There may not be many, but every single one of my posts have been helpful to at least one person in our community, and I hope to help even more people while in the SBR.
(And as I stated before, I had shared an ‘04 account with my friend, so don’t think I’m some random noob since my post count is low.)

8. What do you expect to add to the SBR?

You expect that when a person joins the SBR he/she will casually post around, but I will do much more than just that. I will be a huge contributor and constantly check each thread for new updates/posts. For example, I would bring up (no, not the issue of banning MK like everybody else says) a Team Tier Chart/list (a chart would probably be more practical), which would be helpful to not only the whole SWF community, but to other sites such as All is Brawl or GameFAQ’s. And Finally, I am very knowledgeable about every single character and up-to-date with their current metagames, not with just the characters I play (which is already more than normal).

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future?

Some of the main Issues on Smashboards that should and should not be addressed:

As a TO, I do not support the full hard-core banning of any character (Aka: MK), nor think it should be even mentioned by the SBR until he proves to be winning 90%-95% of Tourneys (which will never happen). I have many overly valid arguments supporting this.

I also do not think that each character’s advantage over one another should be discussed constantly and thoroughly as of right now, since the Official Tier List was recently released.

However, I do think that tourney-legal stages should be reconsidered, since I’m pretty sure it hasn’t had very much attention in a while (or so I hear…).

I do support Brawl hacks such as the no-tripping code/mod (once carefully checked for bugs) becoming a possible factor in the SBR recommended rule list. Extreme metagame-altering hacks/ mods should not become or have anything to do with the regular tournament standard though. I also have the ability to and can create useful Orcarnia codes.

10. Please link to some of your posts that the SBR might find interesting or that demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to discussions.

Here a few examples of some helpful and useful, and time-guzzling threads that I created:

Sticky: The New Ice Climbers Compiled Video Thread

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why?

NANA! (she’s so stupid)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases
Deus is my only alias, I use it for my char name in games.

I don't really attend tournaments much due to lack of time.

It varies A LOT, but I'm really not particularly skilled. It's more ability to understand factors influencing the metagame that are my high points.

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event (Melee or Brawl, Online tournaments do NOT count)? If so, please list the tournaments and the number of players in attendance.
No.

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments? On which characters do you consider yourself an expert?
Marth, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Ike, Link, Wolf, Yoshi, MK.
As far as character knowledge goes, Marth, Zelda/Shiek, and Ganondorf.

6. What area/region/community are you from? Examples: East Coast, West Coast, Texas, NYC, DC area, South Florida, Toronto, Northern Europe, etc...
Long Island NY.

I'm involved in the online community, mostly because the LI community isn't very organized, I'm attempting to start up weeklies at my school's area, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

For the online community, I'm an active participant in relevant debates, recent important examples are the Infinite Dimensional Cape banning, and whether MK deserves to be banned.

I'm also leading the Ganondorf board's match-up discussions because I recognized the need for somebody to head a match-up discussion thread on the board.

My main skill is my ability to understand the factors behind any individual issue, and come to conclusions about them. This has allowed me to understand how the metagame will progress, barring a new discovery. Probably the best example is that I pointed out that MK was the most banable character before he even held the highest tournament rankings.

I also was one of the earliest to notice MK's advantage vs. Snake and DK (both of which are debatable, but at best they're 55-45 MK match-ups, and at that point they were believed to be Snake's and DK's advantage respectively), I do credit EL with initially pointing out Snake to me, but still, I understood well before the rest of the community.

Because I'm very good at understanding how theory applies to practice, my conclusions tend to be VERY trustworthy when I have all the needed information.

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future?

Probably the most important issue facing the community at this moment is a need for a concrete ban criteria. We have overcentralization, as the theoretical rule, but what does it mean?

We need to define exactly what overcentralization means in the context of the metagame so we can actually have a frame-work when discussing ban issues, probably the most important and heated set of issues in the community. Over-centralization is a soft rule, which leaves it open to too much interpretation and makes all discussions far too subjective.

Ad Hoc ban discussions done by say... character by character simply don't work anymore. As the MK ban thread shows, without a set criteria that is well-defined, the community has nothing to collectively reference to, and just create their own criteria, which results in no headway in discussions. This MUST be fixed, especially if the SBR is to retain it's legitimacy in the eyes of TOs.

10. Please link to some of your posts that the SBR might find interesting or that demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to discussions.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5065195&postcount=12871
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4785693&postcount=10159
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5283004&postcount=836
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5490973&postcount=1048
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5518152&postcount=2673
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4347053&postcount=288 (discussion with Yuna, most important thing here is that I recognized that it was a misunderstanding and pointed it out, thus resolving the personal confrontation taking place in that thread between Yuna and Jack).
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5361429&postcount=94 (proof I can bow out gracefully when evidence that proves me wrong appears)
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5281681&postcount=1357
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191143

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why

I have a lot of characters which I like, but I think my favorite overall is Dream of the Endless (aka, the new Sandman) from the Sandman (by Neil Gaiman).

Why? He's a tragic hero, with an overall intriging story who fits very well into the story.

"The Lord of Dreams learns that one must change or die, and makes his decision."

That's an overall summery of the plot.

The most interesting thing about his tragic flaw is the irony involved, it's something that, given the context and the character's dominion, Dream should have no issue with, but he does.

Close second is Delurium, because of the overall creativity involved in her.

And then Magneto, because the tragic villian is imo, the best character archtype, and he pulls it off extremely well. It's very easy to form genuine sympathy for him because of his expiriences.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Scar

June 2007

Top 5, just got 17/116 at Event 52 (which I'm not happy with but it's still not bad).

Smashpocalypse Series, 1-5. Acclaimed as the best run tournament in the tristate area, by tourneygoers and hosts alike. Typically a 30-40 person tournament.
http://allisbrawl.com/series.aspx?id=247
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=119741&page=164

I play Melee, I am an expert with Captain Falcon. In Brawl I pick Wolf, spam the B button and fsmash people when they get close. Then when they are over 100% I spam B and dsmash them when they get close. I also have Melee DI so I don't die. I invented Stage Scarring and named it after myself so that I could put my mark always and forever on Brawl, and I am far from an expert.

East Coast.

Everyone knows me as a relatively new Melee player who rose to the top (or close to it) very quickly. I always do my best to inspire new players to believe that there is no such thing as a "no name" player, and that with the right mindset everyone can become a Melee Top Player. Because of all this and, most importantly, my intelligent discussion and obviously deep knowledge of Melee, I have earned and enjoyed very much respect from almost all Melee players.

I am the most active PA panelists and am primarily responsible for the past 3 PA Player Rankings. I organize the panelists, lead the discussion, and update the thread.

I am an extremely active YouTube video poster with over 150 subscriptions, my combo video "I Killed Mufasa" is extremely well known, and as a group effort Pakman and I have innovated yet again with voice commentary during matches, providing for even more entertainment while watching Smash.

Everything.

I am an extremely active member of the boards and will only become moreso with newfound responsibility. I am a very intelligent person and the decisions I have made up to this point have certainly earned me the trust of a large part of the EC community, aside from overall intelligence I have a VERY in-depth knowledge of Melee and the community dynamic.

I am well-informed enough to assist in Brawl decisionmaking. I'm not afraid to take on intimidatingly good people, and I think outside of the box and question things people don't usually think about. I'll voice my opinion if I think it is correct and contributes something.

Melee needs representation in the back room. The game may be old, yes, but we need an authority that is an active part of the community to make needed changes as the game evolves, which it still definitely does. The apparent definitiveness of the most recent tier list does not reflect this line of thinking and is flat out incorrect, in years to come change will again be needed, I promise that.

Also with new events and promotions such as the ANMC (Atlantic North Melee Circuit) a large part of the EC will be interested in rankings.

I will also be very happy to help discuss important issues in Brawl. I am knowledgeable about the game and very intuitively understand the concept of fairness in competition, and how to regulate it.

Ask Scar Questions, so popular that I am completely backlogged upon returning from Kansas
Scar on the Melee vs Brawl Debate, still a sour topic I'm sure but for brief stints this was the only organized discussion between Melee and Brawl supporters trying to understand the other side of the argument.
Smashpocalypse
Scar's Video Thread

Also...
Ever since "Maximum Carnage" for Sega Genesis, I have loved Venom. "The Death and Return of Superman," also for Genesis, introduced me to Doomsday. What a crazy backstory. And the only thing stronger than him is entropy? lmao.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
1. Rukkiko/HerbZ
2. I've been looking up on tourneys and review play and starts since 2006, but attended tourneys since the beginning of this year.
3. Farthest I've made it is out of 32, average is in the 64~
4. Nope.
5. Marth and Lucario
6. Jamaica, Queens, NY(EC)
7. I participate by bettering myself while helping others, to keep a fair, even, and social community. Sadly, I was lurking and just started posting -_-
8. Hopefully fresh ideas, humor, and active conversation. Im learning coding so I can also help with that new Balance Patch project.
9. The issues right now that the SBR should focus on is balance issues and to help improve the communities metagame for each character greatly.
10. Ill do this once I get home, in school lol
Bonus. Spider-Man or Batman. =:]

Blad01

Smash Lord
Blad01 / BLAD

Since april 2008. Actually, i have been attending to every tournament in my area since Brawl came out.
I knew Melee comunity, but i actually never attended a real tournament. (I plan on maybe attend ESA3)

I place 2nd twice with my Falco, in 64 personns tournaments (Sole, then Double). Last time, i placed 9th, but id didn't play very well.
I'm going to attend three tournaments soon, and i feel i can win the biggest of them my my Sheik / Falco. :)

No, but i'm steering an enourmous tournament project. Basically, i want it to be the biggest french, and the biggest european 2009 tournament (it will probably be in April / May 2009).
The project evolves well, and the team arose from the fusion of several other teams.
Basically, it will be like a ESA, but for Brawl ^_^

I consider myself an "expert", and a very good player, with Sheik mainly, then Falco. I'm also pretty good with my Ganondorf, and know him pretty well ^^

My mains are :

1. Sheik
2. Falco
> For tournaments
3. Ganondorf
> For low tier tournaments
4. Fox
> For friendlies

I'm from France, i live in Paris. I'm one of the most active players around here :)

I'm also the webmaster of SSB-France.com. The site is currently temporaly dead, because we are working hard on the V2. Basically, we want in the future SSB-France.com to be like an European AIB, but with more redaction content :)

I've been participating to Falco's, Sheik's and Ganon's metagame from the beginning. I less participated lately, because I'm training for the tournaments, and because I am preparing a guide on Sheik. And i'm waiting for my capture card (in two weeks), to record my tournaments matches, and a bunch of new things i've discovered with Sheik.
Also, i try to keep some of my mindgames secret until i can record my macthes :p

But That does not prevent me from coming on Smashboards 2 hours a day, and to post often, although it is not necessarily very long analyses

First of all, I intend to be a representative of the french's, and european's competitive scene. Our french brawl community is growing, even though some of the best players stay on Melee, and we have more and more participations to tourneys, and more and more good players (Leon, Gemini, Charby, Achoral, BJay, Kill1, myself etc...).
I'm also currently making an European tournaments results thread, that could be useful for the future tier list.
I'm also willing to contribute to different things such as :
1- Tier List : I have to recognize i don't know every character enough (even though i know a lot of them) to participate to the entire tier list, but i can contribute for Sheik, Falco, Ganondorf and a bunch of characters that good players use around here like Peach, Ness, Wolf, Samus. (And of course MK and snake)
2- MK Ban : I'm for MK Ban, but i'm not 100% decided. I think we should have a dealine for this decision (March 2009 could be good)
3- Moderation : Sheik, Falco (!) and Ganon sections.

1- Metaknight Ban : As i said before, we should give a deadline for it. I think the MK Ban won't probably be officially supported by the SBR, but it's a very interessing discussion.
2- SBR Explanations in General Discussion on their current discussion. That could be good to keep in contact with the community, and not be the "secret" SBR. ^^
3- I support No-tripping as a recommanded SBR Rule, even though it's a bit hard for tournaments organsizers...
4- A definitive conclusion by SBR on Melee vs Brawl. (We should have a deadline too ^^ Around June 2009 i would say).

Hum, a shame that i haven't finished my Sheik's guide and haven't record any of my matchs yet :x

1- Compilation of interessant threads about Falco
The title says all ^^ Falco's boards needed more organisation. :x
2- Match-Up Discussion
I think i was one of the first to begin Match-Up week discussions :)
3- Tier List V2 ?
4- MK Ban Support Group
My answer to MK Ban question. I get flamed hard for this lol :p
5- "AT" : Needles Pivot.
6 - Instant Hog
7- Sheik True Combos
The sort of threads i do on what i think could be interesting.

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: XD I would say Cyclop and Flash. They are cool, and original :) Not so many people like them (Wolverine !!! è_é) so that's fine for me :D (Just like my mains lol :o).

PS : Oh and i support Swoops candidature. I can tell you he's a cool guy :)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
HEY! Boring application review process getting you down? Sounds like you need...

The SBR Application Drinking Game!

Disclaimer: This poster abstains from alcoholic beverages and suggests the reader do the same. This post is purely for comedic purposes. This poster takes no responsibility to liability for personal injury to self, others, or small animals if partaking of this game. If you play this game, you will die. That joke was directly stolen from a movie trailer. Don't drink and drive this holiday season, winners don't do drugs, no johns.

Take a shot every time:

-"I know I probably won't get in, but..."
-Someone who has never been in a tourney applies
-Someone says "Meta Knight"
-Someone thinks their character is under-represented in the SBR, and this is of great importance
-Someone thinks their geographic area is under-represented in in SBR, and this is of great importance
-Someone exaggerates their tourney record or hosting experience
-Someone claims to be an "expert" on a wide array of characters
-Someone who isn't Colin Powell endorses someone else
-Someone says their favorite superhero is Spiderman or Batman
-Some cheeky moron tries to be cute by making up a drinking game

The first person to 600 points wins.

NOTE: It is impossible to get points.

Good luck!

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
...and I could probably be dead by the third. Lol...lightweights and their alcohol poisoning. Guess we know why Jiggz sings in a drunken stupor and falls asleep constantly. It's surprising that she doesn't throw up every time she does roll out.

Thinkaman...you explained shots but not how many points...what the hell? Explain your drinking game more clearlier >.>

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah... I considered having something like "Finish all drinks in a 5 mile radius every time Sliq posts", but then I realized that if you are playing the game right, there shouldn't be any left by the time you get there.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The first person to 600 points wins.
lern2readingcomprehension

I jest in good fun sir; Ganondorf mains are most consistently among all players gentlemen and scholars. Though, they are also a bit predisposed to reckless homicide and manslaughter...

EDIT: HAY GUYZ FINISH YUR DRINK EVERY TIME SUM-ONE DOUBLE POSTS!1

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
When Sliq posts, 1. Finish all drinks in a one mile radius, 2. Shout murder, 3. Punch anyone in that radius that pisses you off. If step 1 is done correctly step 3 should be everyone in the area.

It's called the sliq.

The first person to 600 points wins.[/SIZE]
EDIT: Damn you and your size 1 font...I feel like I should homicide it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
One last rule: If you haven't played at least 2 of the following 3 games, commit ritual suicide. (Then take a shot.)

-No More Heroes
-The World Ends With You
-Barbie's Horse Adventures

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
o.O!? Shit, can't it just be one of those games? I've got Barbie's Horse Adventures under my belt and nothing else.

Always wanted to play no more heroes...TWEWY is awesome though.

Hmm, maybe we should expand the rules a little more. Everytime SP closes another useless thread we get to take two shots and give one to a baby panda.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
teh_spamerer @ tournaments and smashboards/Cheatingway the two-timer on AiB

I first started going to tournaments on Smashboards in January 2006.

Top 5 :bee:.

Once ~a month ago for Melee. ~15-20 people showed up but almost no one wanted to enter singles

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments?
Meta Knight, Falco, Sheik/Zelda, and Peach.

On which characters do you consider yourself an expert?
None. The only person who I consider an expert with any character in Brawl is Mew2King with Meta Knight. I feel that everyone else still has things to learn about their characters.

NJ/PA

I attend tournaments, smashfests, and post in Atlantic North.

An intelligent, logical voice to help SBR make the right decisions to benefit the community.

- The no tripping code becoming a tournament standard.
- Stage list.
- Not banning Meta Knight.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5406984&postcount=132
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5594983&postcount=49
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5226671&postcount=153
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5574488&postcount=115

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why? :p
Batman. He's still a normal human so he has to outsmart and outwit people with guns, which is more interesting then some overpowered garbage. He also has interesting villains and good movies.

Sliq

Smash Master
One last rule: If you haven't played at least 2 of the following 3 games, commit ritual suicide. (Then take a shot.)

-No More Heroes
-The World Ends With You
-Barbie's Horse Adventures
I would like to add Killer 7 to this list.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I would like to add that you are also a gentleman and a scholar, and that the youtube account with most the cutscenes from that game posted is mine.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
SBR Application

1. JCaesar007/ JCaesar, JCaez, JC, Caesar, Caez, jay-seize, etc.

2. I discovered Smashboards in November of 2003. I lurked for a long time while I practiced techniques like wavedashing and shuffling, and I went to my first Smashboards-advertised tournament in September of 2005 (The Battle for Western New York). I went to 6 or 7 more Melee tournaments until Brawl came out (a few in upstate NY and a few in MD/VA, regrettably missing all of the Pounds though :(), and I’ve been to most of the Brawl tournaments in MD/VA.

3. I was never a notable player in Melee (except for getting 7th/42 at TBFWNY2 using mostly G&W), but in Brawl, I’ve made top 20 in 9 out of the last 11 tourneys I’ve been to, 4 of which were top 10s, 5th once and 4th once. These were all Smashboards-advertised tourneys in MD/VA, which is arguably the most competitive region in the country, except for my 4th place finish which was at Smashtality IV near Philly.

4. I helped run several tournaments at my school (Cornell University). They were typically 20-30 people, not advertised on Smashboards, but I made sure they were run by the standard Smashboards rules. At my school I was pretty much the only player who was active on Smashboards (though I didn’t post much). We did try to hold one inter-school tournament advertised on Smashboards (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1242084) but no one showed up, I guess due to distance and short notice :ohwell:. That was all a long time ago though. MD/VA has very frequent tournaments so I have no need to host my own anymore.

5. I am a ROB main, pure and simple. I have used Wario and G&W on a few occasions though. I don’t play G&W at all anymore (it was screwing up my Melee G&W and that’s just unacceptable) but I’ve been training my Wario a lot recently and I plan to use it in tournament very soon. The only character on which I would consider myself an expert is ROB, and I’m well known and respected on the ROB boards.

6. I began my Smash career in upstate NY, but later on, and for the entirety of Brawl, I’ve been an MD/VA player, which means I get to play with some of the best players in the country on a regular basis. The top players all know me fairly well now.

7. I regularly participate in my region, as I go to most of the tournaments in MD/VA, but the community I work the most to improve is my character, in the ROB boards. I’ve supported ROB’s growth as a character from the beginning, exploring ROB’s inner workings before his mechanics were fully understood.

The biggest impact I’ve had on the ROB community was the creation of the ROB video thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158122). It is, in my opinion, the most well-organized, well-maintained, and up-to-date character video thread on Smashboards, and I still put a lot of time and effort into it when I get the chance.

Another big thing I’ve done for the Smashboards community as a whole was come up with the idea to use the Smashboards “group” function for the character “back rooms” that have become so popular recently, though Overswarm implemented it (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5105097). I also participated in Overswarm’s ROB back room group and tested his revolutionary new strategy.

8. In the recent large debates the community has faced (especially the “ban Metaknight” uproar), I’ve brought some more unique perspectives (or at least a little bit of thought) into the argument past the usual “MK is broken!”, “Figure out how to beat it!”, “MK can’t be countered!”, “It’s too early to ban!” crap that tends to go around. Hopefully I can bring some arguments that haven’t been heard yet to the SBR. Also, I can spell and I have good grammar, so my posts are easy to read, which sure doesn’t hurt. I never half-*** anything.

9. The biggest issue right now, and the one being talked about more than anything else, is obviously whether or not to ban Metaknight. I have my own feelings on this, with my own reasons, which are vastly different than the majority of reasons coming from people who feel the same way I do.

There are other important issues facing the community though. Many people are not happy with the stage choices in the official SBR ruleset for Brawl. MD/VA has completely ignored the SBR’s stagelist, and I think something needs to be done about that.

Brawl is also starting to die in MD/VA. Tournament attendance is down significantly from 4-6 months ago. It could be because school is in session but I get the feeling that a lot of people are just unhappy with Brawl at the moment.

Another thing that I think deserves to be looked at is the Brawl hack situation. No tripping and infinite replay time could easily become tournament standard as they are basically bugfixes, but there are also things like the Melee airdodge mechanics that I think should be looked at as possible alternative ways to play that might add more depth to Brawl. There’s no way to know without testing though.

The Brawl tier list is another thing that may need some tweaking.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The biggest issue right now, and the one being talked about more than anything else, is obviously whether or not to ban Metaknight. I have my own feelings on this, with my own reasons, which are vastly different than the majority of reasons coming from people who feel the same way I do.

There are other important issues facing the community though. Many people are not happy with the stage choices in the official SBR ruleset for Brawl. MD/VA has completely ignored the SBR’s stagelist, and I think something needs to be done about that.

Brawl is also starting to die in MD/VA. Tournament attendance is down significantly from 4-6 months ago. It could be because school is in session but I get the feeling that a lot of people are just unhappy with Brawl at the moment.
hmmmmmmm =P

Not much longer to apply! If you haven't applied yet, do so! If you know someone that wanted to, get on them!

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
ProBrawler (or Pro), Jon.

Since this past summer of 2008.

I have only attended one irl tourney so far and finished in the middle of the pack in singles and second in doubles. However, I am focused on starting to go to more tournaments. For instance, I plan on traveling to the ECRC event held in VA this November. I don't do many online tournies, but I did win the one doubles online tournament I was in.

I have never hosted a real life smash event. Although I am considering doing so after my life settles down a bit.

For Brawl tournaments, I use almost solely Zelda and Sheik. However, on occasion I use Ike. I consider myself a decent Ike but an expert on Zelda and Sheik. Personally I feel that using both of them (that is, Zelda and Sheik) equally is unique, though not by any means a pioneering idea. Both of them may only be mid-tier, but that only strengthens my resolve to kick butt as them. To me, it's a challenge that forces me to think outside of conventional wisdom. This ranges from, though is not limited to, Farore's Wind mindgames, to utilizing the transformation to perfection (i.e. in the situations where it would benefit most to switch), to complex spacing strategies, and character-specific match-ups that are necessary to be taken into account more-so for a lower tier character. Plus, I like them in general for various reasons. Although it should be said that I still have respect for those who use high tier characters. To succeed at a high level takes skill regardless of which character is used. In a general sense I also am very knowledgeable in team play.

The east coast, which is too good. I live in southern NY in a suburb of NYC called Westchester.

I founded the Zelda/Sheik BR social group and am the main contributer to the discussions. I hope to eventually post our findings on the character boards once we have gathered enough information. In doing so, I believe I will be able to help alleviate some of her worst match-ups. In the future, I hope to hold tournaments by my hometown, and convince some of my friends from school to attend, possibly creating more smashers in the community. In addition, I contribute greatly to the progression of the Online Tourney Directors group, although that's not without the help of many others.

I expect to add to the intelligent discussion in the SBR in a myriad of ways. First, I have a tendency to think of all the possible options and view points in a situation. This even follows me to school where I argue with my teachers all the time. In some instances I tried to argue the laws of physics (I still feel that a reflection in a mirror is not equidistant from the tangible object. It is an image and therefore only exists on the mirror). Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, and in other circumstances there is no right answer. But I never stop thinking. I want to share my opinions while at the same time learning from the views of others. I am a strong believer that when it comes to discussion, whether it is about quantum mechanics or Brawl, the most progress is made from a conglomerate of ideas. In addition, I tend to be accepting of any other ideas. Even if I do not agree with someone, I do not put on a condescending demeanor. I realize that everyone has different ideals and values and no one philosophy is right or wrong. While I tend to be amiable and fun-loving, when it comes to work I go into a business-mode. I'm serious about Smash, although at heart I realize that it is a game. Yet another notable part of me is my determination. I tend to be stubborn, though not blind when being so. When I feel strongly about something, whether it is a point of view or an action, I will defend it or pursue the action regardless of the inevitable difficulties that I will face along the way. However, as stated previously, I do this in a respectful manner.

Pressing issues in the Smash community abound. Of course, there is the Meta Knight domination issue, of which I will not get into now. Perhaps less obvious is the idea that I believe to be important: greater organization of the smash community. So many of the posts and threads are redundant, among other issues. It is sometimes difficult to find the meaningful information. In the future, I believe the most important issue is maintaining and perhaps even reigniting the competitive scene and spirit of Smash.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5589316#post5589316
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5583021#post5583021
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5552679#post5552679

Favorite Comic Book Character:
Iron Man because he derives his powers from his “mind.” Brain>Brawn. And also because I'm a science nerd............................ =P

BBQ°

Smash Champion
1. BBQ

2. The tournaments I have attended have not been through smashboards.

3. 4th place (it's my curse).

#1 Smash Tournament 6/5/08 - 9 people
#2 Smash Tournament 6/14/08 - 16 people
#3 Smash Tournament 7/11/08 - 10 people
#4 Smash Tournament 7/16/08 - 12 people
#5 Smash Tournament 8/1/08 - 14 people
Labor Day Tournament OMG WTF - 14 people
Coming Soon: Voting Day Tournament

5. I use Donkey Kong and Pikachu in tournaments. I would say I am experts with both characters. I know how to quick attack cancel, reverse thunder, chain grab, nair gimp, and just about anything else with Pikachu. With Donkey Kong, I know sweet spots for spikes and smashes, super armor frames, up-b onto the stage without lag, cargo-stage spike, approach with side-b, 9-swing punch, reverse ken combo gimp, etc. I also have an extremely technical Lucas.

6. Atlantic South (Georgia)

7. I am the founder of EHS Smash (PM for URL), and I organize tournaments. I also post any Brawl/Melee information found on this site and we have our (40) active members discuss them. We all play Brawl competitively.

8. The SBR needs input from a middle-classman, and I'm perfect for the job. Being introduced to competitive Melee in November '07, I have read 90% of smashwiki, seen all popular Melee videos on youtube, and have read many of the popular guides in character specific boards and tactical discussions. I have learned all advanced techniques in Melee and I apply them to my strategy. I made it a point to educate myself in competitive smash before posting, and that is what makes me different from other people: I know the topic from all angles before posting. I now spend at least 2 hours a day on smashboards reading all interesting topics and posts. I also have some input about the SBR Offical Rules that I would like to discuss (mainly stage legality).

9. I think there should be some sort of list the SBR can give the community each week, which gives all major discussions, so the community knows what's going on behind the scenes. Things to discuss could be an official match-up chart, tier list version 2.0, and the possibility of having Meta Knight-free tournaments with MLG.

Character match-ups
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5278776#post5278776
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4888446#post4888446
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4887991#post4887991
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5341199#post5341199
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5037297#post5037297

DI tips
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4888501#post4888501
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5168645#post5168645
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5078207#post5078207
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5060380#post5060380
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5058733#post5058733

Character Specific
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5013863#post5013863
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4981936#post4981936
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4864244#post4864244
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4746587#post4746587
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5183938#post5183938
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097930#post5097930

Misc. Tips
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4880661#post4880661
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5232421#post5232421
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5217862#post5217862
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5140227#post5140227
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5069554#post5069554
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4951272#post4951272

About me
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4530737#post4530737

I have a ton of awesome input on my EHS Smash site, but I don't want to post the URL here because it's a private site, but if you want to see more of my good input, PM me and I'll give you the URL.

BONUS QUESTION!: Ironman, because he was the only superhero I had an action figure of, so I could play with him.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I keep thinking the same thing vyse.

"Hey, today's the last day for back room applications, wasn't it? Cool that means at midnight... in a different time zone... the SBR will maybe start reviewing the applications... and get back to us at an undefined later time... wait, why was I excited at the beginning of this sentence?"

Every couple hours it repeats.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
If you guys stay up and do a count down and I can read it when I come to this thread tomorrow (I have to sleep soon), I'll laugh.

Taylor

Smash Cadet
Why isn't SBR available for viewing? Even presidential debates are broadcast on TV.
If there's an issue of SBR members being flamed for controversial posts in the general boards, you could work it so non-SBR members only see anonymous posts.

For me, it'd be awesome since usually I just read through topics without posting.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Why isn't SBR available for viewing? Even presidential debates are broadcast on TV.
That is a terrible analogy. The presidential debates are public because that's the point of them, just like presidential speeches, or how the backroom members post in and often start threads that aren't in the backroom, including moving threads out of the backroom such as the character analysis threads.

The public does NOT get to see most of the daily workings of the president, it would be absurd if the media was allowed to descend upon every decision, policy breifing, or meeting with foreign powers. You can see that right? Similarly, the SBR remains productive when they can discuss aspects of the game and competitive community without emotionally-charged responses diluting their discourse and spamming the boards.

Even if it was read-only, all that would accomplish is causing Brawl General to be flooded with "BACK ROOM MEMBERS PLZ READ" and that nature of topics responding to things they read in the backroom. Look at the ridiculous public overreaction to Panda's recent thread of Brawl hacking...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Thinkaman speaks truth.

Also, if you think we're reading all these at midnight, you're ****ing nuts.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
whoa are they having a party in the Backroom or something.
Theirs like 8-10 people viewing it right now and its not even the weekend or midday.'

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman

FakeGeorge

2- 2.5 years

Brawl would be around 9th-13th/ 30-40 on average, though I've been improving. My worst has been 17th and best 5th.

My more serious paid-entry tournaments:

Melee:

The Big Cheese - 11 entrants
LAST Smash - 62 entrants
Gameware Biweeklies (3 or so total) 6-18ish entrants

Brawl:

3LT - 36 entrants
Gameware Monthly 1 - 40 entrants
Gameware Monthly 2 - 39 entrants
Gameware Monthly 3 - 31 entrants
Gameware Monthly 4 - 32 entrants
Gameware Monthly 5 - 36 entrants

I've also run (but not organized)
Dibbz Essence Tournament - 36 entrants

These were more causual tournaments run through my school's gaming club. They were more or less only open to LSU students and had free entry.

Melee:

Late Night Arcade 08/24/07 ~32 entrants
Late Night Arcade 10/26/07 ~20 entrants
Late Night Arcade 02/29/08 ~15 entrants

Brawl:

Late Night Arcade 4/28/08 - 14 entrants
Late Night Arcade 8/22/08 - 13 entrants
Late Night Arcade 10/17/08 - 11 entrants

I use only G&W in tournaments. While I feel like I'm fairly familiar with him, I don't think I'm an expert.

The South, more specifically, Louisiana.

I run all of the tournaments held in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In addition, I've collaborated with other members of our local community to form the ruleset we use now.

I also try to encourage new players at tournaments, so they stick around. We can't really grow as a community without new players.

One thing I think I bring to the table is my experience as a TO. As a TO, I think I view most issues a bit differently than the average player. Whatever decisions I make for a tournament, I have to consider how it affects Smash as a competitive game and how it affects the players who make the community.

In addition, I get to see a different side of the competitive scene. When most players consider smash, they think only about gameplay. Competitive smash goes beyond simple gameplay, the rules and conventions that determine how tournaments proceed are just as important as the techs and strategies used within the game.

At the moment, the main concerns for competitve Brawl are not those of what can be done within the game but those of what should we do outside of the game. I believe I can offer insight as an experienced tournament organizer.

Right now, the largest debate is over Metaknight and whether or not he should be banned.

Brawl hacks as a possibility for a tournament standard is something that also should be considered (and apparently it is already!).

In the future, the ruleset/ stage list will need future reconsideration. New techniques/ strategies might make or break stages. There's always the possibility that some rules could be improved. Just because something works doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep trying to make it better. I had never heard of stage striking until Brawl, and I think it's much better than a Random first stage. Chances are, there are other things that can be changed to similarly improve tournament play.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4222014#post4222014 -This is the start of our first local stage discussion.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4408812#post4408812 -This is more stage discussion for a May 10th tournament I hosted.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5014586#post5014586 -From here to page 844, off and on stage list discussion for another tournament I hosted.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases:
FastLikeMe, Lane4, Jaraha

About one month, attended just 1 tournament

Dead Last

Yeah, it was so epic, I didn't feel a name could convey the epicness of it, so I didn't name it. All the bests were there: M3D, M2King, Anther, Isai, Ken (he told me to tell you he came in 4th on Survivor, btw) and SamuraiPanda. Overall the best 32 Brawlers in the nation were there. I won.

I am am expert of Pikachu, Sonic, and Snake. If you elect me to SBR, I will tell you hidden techniques that only I have figured out.

Midwest

I will travel to every tournament in my region. Of course, I'll have to impose a tax on this site. $1 per visit for registered members. I will use that money for gas and food to travel to the various tournaments around my midwest kingdom, meeting with the commoners who attend said tournaments.

A sense of unity among the community. For you see, I am able to reach across tiers, and bring together those on opposite sides. However, I REFUSE to sit down and talk to Metaknight mains without preconditions.

We need to look to the past to be able to foresee the future. And if history has taught us anything, it's that the SBR needs new blood. For the topics grow stagnant there with the repeat posts of people who've forgotten the joy of Smash Brothers. I can bring that joy back. Think of me as a smash ball, ready to re-ignite the hopes of a message board in dire need of a boost.

Next question please.

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why?
I think the main question is: why are you still reading this?

Hive

Smash Lord
Hive
I've been playing cpus on my brawl tournament organizer for almost a full year...
depends on what level cpus they are... if they are under 7 I usually have a shot at top 8...
see question 2 (players=8)
I play Metaknight... I think it would be important for me to join sbr because mk is really underepresented there....
I think you guys need more mks to even out the "should mk get banned or not debate" which is right now way biased in mk getting banned from players who don't main mk

west coast
I find improving the community conflicts with my plans for domination <.<
me
which is better brawl or melee? Do tiers actually exist? How underrated is Ike? And ZOMG I found a new advanced tech!@
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199302&page=16
I like all of them equally :) see you need someone who can listen to everyone!
except captain planet, he's a pansy >:(

∫unk

Smash Master
**** i just spent 4 hours writing a apllication... and i think im late but it also says my post was too long. I even dug up my college application essay that explains all my life achievements.

will u still accept it? I can send it via PM or even personally ill mail it to you.

plz i just really want to be in sbr cause I like purple and my dog (who passed away recently)'s favorite color was purple

lmk thx k

RichBrown

Smash Master
I'm gonna pretend that EST=PST

1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases: RichBrown (Formerly TheMasterFoot)

2. How long have you been attending tournaments through Smashboards? I started frequently going to tournaments in summer 2008, although I did hit a few melee tournaments from 05-07

3. About what rank/place do you usually finish at the tournaments you attend? Top 10 in SCV, top 3rd of the bracket outside SCV. Lately I've done really well in doubles, just had a 5th out of 21 finish (Typh <3)

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event: I've contributed to some SCV tournaments, and am hosting one in december.

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments?:Olimar for singles, Kirby for doubles

6. What area/region/community are you from? So Cal!

7. How do you participate within and improve your community? I'm a frequent contributor to the Olimar boards. I'm a moderator of the AiB group "SSBSCV," which is solely responsible for creating/organizing/maintaining the Smash community in Santa Clarita Valley. I usually am the one who makes sure that anyone from scv who wants to go to a tournament can make it out and coordinate rides and whatnot (along with help from my scv homies). I contribute stations too :p

8. What do you expect to add to the SBR? I highly enjoy the debates and reading both sides, and I think I'd be good at coming up with ideas that will make both sides happy.

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future? The banning of MK needs to be addressed sooner than later (if it isn't being discussed already). Like I mentioned above, I have a lot of ideas I think would really help settle this debate, making both sides happy.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5501416#post5501416

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193924

*side note: I was in the SBR once before (M3D, remember that money match we had years ago when I was a stuck up falco player? yeah that's me ^_^). I stopped coming to the site for a while, but now I'm a very active member in the Smash scene.

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why? I don't read comics. But Spiderman is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom