• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Judo777

Smash Master
The release is still 21 frames.
The attack frames is what Judo is talking about.

BTW, I prefer grounded chain.
The reason being is that you can deal more damage with it.
I agree with you that if used right the Grounded chain probably would be better but im not perfect with it so SH chain gives me a little more time. If you screw up grounded chain ur gonna eat a dsmash lol

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I agree with you that if used right the Grounded chain probably would be better but im not perfect with it so SH chain gives me a little more time. If you screw up grounded chain ur gonna eat a dsmash lol
SH Chain= training wheels

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure that grounded chain has virtually no hit stun compared to SH chain

-Mars-

Smash Hero
MK- I loved your use of fair in these vids to protect yourself from gimps, thought that was well done. I dunno it seemed in these vids you were making a lot of mistakes like messing up jab cancels and not punishing correctly. You missed quite a few punishment opportunities I thought. I thought you played pretty well in the matchup though........Judge is good.

Fox- That Fox is terrible not going to lie. Didn't SHL or anything. Matchup is still stupidly easy though.

Snake- I hate dash grab, I don't see why you use it as much as you do......people seem to just spotdodge on reaction. I think if you just ran up in a shield and waited out the spotdodge you would land a lot more grabs. I'm aware that runnin grab is faster but it's just so punishable from my experiences:( . I liked your jab>dtilt>grab trap. You have a bunch of nice little traps I always enjoy steaing. Another whiffed dash grab.

Peach- I would recommend using more utilt *shrugs* I havent really figured out the Peach matchup either. Frst match you played really well. DOn't have time to watch the others.

I think you need to work on spacing....you get shieldgrabbed a lot. I would cut down on the dash grabs, and try to work on not messing up the jab cancels and getting punished for rapid jabs.

I know you don't like DACUS but I really think it helps with the KO problem. I find myself using Zelda less and less the better I get with consistently executing DACUS.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Running Sheild Grab instead of straight run -> grab. Run up Sheild then press A, if you miss the grab your sheild is back up. If they spot dodge you can react, plus the sheild stops your momentum. That's what i try to do, i still have my tendencies.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
and if they get used to you doing that they can just grab you out of your sheild. sheik has one of the fastest grabs in the game which means in that situation not much spare a dodge will beat it. I think it is good to mix in both ideas. I use sheik's running grab, but you don't want to abuse it.

human beings can't "react" to five frames the have to appropriately predict. thats where baiting comes in.

I mix in running grab, run through pivot grab (is really good if you boost it, still five frames. and you can do it on reaction to spot dodges too), dash dance, dash in SH aerial. You want to condition them and even reward them for something.

"every time he runs in he SH fairs or nairs. my only safe option is a sheild. Heck if he mis-spaces I can grab him!" then~ you running grab.

yeah...

saviorslegacy

Judo777

Smash Master
These are some online matches of me from last night.
I don't think they depict my current play style because of all of my mistakes, repeated strategies and just not following up by buffering everything. Then again, it was wi-fi so yeah.
If you want to you can point out any options that would help me get hurt less.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUVCQIanyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMoTxOdCTyg
Dont dsmash 4 times in a row lol

But seriously um **** link offstage more. Link sucks offstage and sheik rocks at gimping people you can destroy him off stage. Also just pay closer attention to his projectiles he has alot but he cant keep them coming that quickly and you can avoid them and get in close. Get up in his face link cant do crap against us at point blank range.

Other than that i just saw you trying to do way too much fancy crap instead of just playing lol. That stuff is good for mix ups but you were trying way too many fancy things like dair recovery and what not especially since link doesnt have a very solid gimp game. I also noticed you lost the first game cause you needle glided off the platform and took and fsmash to the back instead of just running off and blocking.

Although you never got hurt in this game rapid jabs offstage is good when they are on the stage or in the air but once they grab the ledge you should stop cause get up attacks have invincibility. One time during the match you held out rapid jabs while he was on the ledge for like 3 seconds. That will get u hurt.

saviorslegacy

Dont dsmash 4 times in a row lol

But seriously um **** link offstage more. Link sucks offstage and sheik rocks at gimping people you can destroy him off stage. Also just pay closer attention to his projectiles he has alot but he cant keep them coming that quickly and you can avoid them and get in close. Get up in his face link cant do crap against us at point blank range.

Other than that i just saw you trying to do way too much fancy crap instead of just playing lol. That stuff is good for mix ups but you were trying way too many fancy things like dair recovery and what not especially since link doesnt have a very solid gimp game. I also noticed you lost the first game cause you needle glided off the platform and took and fsmash to the back instead of just running off and blocking.

Although you never got hurt in this game rapid jabs offstage is good when they are on the stage or in the air but once they grab the ledge you should stop cause get up attacks have invincibility. One time during the match you held out rapid jabs while he was on the ledge for like 3 seconds. That will get u hurt.
I was DSmashing to try and get the rang to pull me in.

That stuff that looks fancy usually works.
My timing in those matches was so ****ed up it's not even funny.
I usually can pull some cool thing off.... I just couldn't in those matches.

When they ledge wake to attack under 100% they can be hurt for 2 frames.
Or at least that's what Tristan told me.

Most of it was dumb. -_-
I hope I can get some good matches up tonight.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
After not playing wifi for like 6 months I started playing again back in October cuz i was bored at college and got so frustrated after 2 months i'm probably not gonna play ever again lol.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
My gaming internet at my college is pretty bad. Plus, I have an HD TV with no component cables. :ohwell:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I couldn't possibly play like that.... too much lag. I can't play with lag.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Some new friendlies videos with D1's Dedede:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpkcIYPo_0
Your a smart sheik user DMT.

Since your nair was fresh for most of the fight try mixing some dash up into full hop strong nairs and short hop strong nair to increases your killing potential. Switching between those two among with your other options are fairly safe and if they hit will kill decently enough around 170% on de3 with DI. Strong Nair is most likely Sheik safest killing option once your around 150% especially in a battle of endurance which is what fighting de3 really is.

edit: You look more human in the 2nd video, stop that.

Judo777

Smash Master
wow DMT very good playing. U play smart and ur sheik is the fastest i have seen u really take advatage of her mobility. Ur also very unpredictable which is a good thing. My only real critique is that sometimes i felt like u were trying to be soo unpredictable that some times u were passing up oppertunities for follow ups and not chasing him after u hit him in the air. Other than that though i thought it was brilliant playing.

I know sheiks hate to hear it but maybe swap to Zelda for those kills? lol

-dMT-

Smash Lord
wow DMT very good playing. U play smart and ur sheik is the fastest i have seen u really take advatage of her mobility. Ur also very unpredictable which is a good thing. My only real critique is that sometimes i felt like u were trying to be soo unpredictable that some times u were passing up oppertunities for follow ups and not chasing him after u hit him in the air. Other than that though i thought it was brilliant playing.

I know sheiks hate to hear it but maybe swap to Zelda for those kills? lol
Thanks for the input Judo.

These weren't the only games we played., just the ones I remembered to save lol. I always forget. I had went Zelda a lot beforehand. Actually I tend to use Zelda vs Dedede predominantly. He adapted to it very quickly and started to punish and kill my Zelda when I switched to her for the kill. I also thought insisting on Sheik vs Dedede would force me to get my spacing game right since I get punished heavily for being grabbed by this guy.

I would follow him into the air, but I was definitely trying to fake him out with empty short hops a lot because if you noticed when he knows I'm gonna jump to follow up, he takes out that dair that basically east through anything I can take out.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
can someone critique my sheik? sorry, i only have one 1 on 1 with my sheik, others are team battles or 3 ways. so i will just post this one. sheiks my #2 character, but i will get more 1v1s with her saved and uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhD21j-wns
0:11 to 0:15 You are using the Ftilt at 0%, Sheik ftilt does not combo at that percentage so it's better to use something like jabs, utilt, dtilt, and grabs. Using something like ftilt into rapid jabs at that percentage can work but it's not a true combo. It also looks like you weren't buffering your ftilts as well which allowed him to air dodge and get behind you. Even at 5% Sheik ftilt still isn't good and worst yet you now have some decay on it so it wouldn't true combo to at least 16% compared to 13% you would have waited for if it was fresh.

0:18 Fsmash sucks, it's slow, it can be shield grabbed even between hits, and the cool down is easy to punish. It might work now because he's side stepping the first kick but later on people will always just shield it. It's best to just forget about this move for now before it becomes a habit to use it.

0:20 Because all of your damage so far been just the ftilt it continues to not true combo.

0:26 Utilt cool down is punishable so the attack is generally used more precised then spammed 3 times.

0:28 after you missed the dash grab you used either dtilt or dsmash(hard to tell). Dtilt is Sheiks third fastest attack option and dsmash is second the first being jab. Since you missed the grab chances are your going to get punish so as far as offensive options it's best to use your fastest attack possible to interrupt whatever they plan to use to punish you.

0:34 Hit the wrong button?

0:37 Because of all the ftilt use you did earlier even at 50% you can only link Ftilt into other tilts, nothing more.

1:00 Toon link just hit the ground fairly close to you with a dair instead of using dash attack to cause only 7% you should of dash grabbed. Sheik back throw and fthrow does the same amount of damage but since he was near 100% you could of done at least 2 pummels before the throw which would do double the damage of the dash attack overall.

1:20 No idea if you could true combo at that percentage nor do I care enough to look into it but above 100% when using the ftilt if you don't know what your options are just do a uair or nair. Even if they can escape it with an attack or air dodge they might not respond quick enough to avoid the hit.

1:23 you know another move you should forget about, dair. Dair is more useless then fsmash since about 99% of the time you wont be using it for attacking.

1:46 he was at a pretty low % when you did that throw it might of been wiser to walk after him until you enter range to utilt or ftilt so you could start a juggle.

2:30 good gimping is good

3:10 I'ma lovin that dacus kill.

Finally thoughts, you roll too much offensively and defensively you don't use enough needles in fact you barely used them at all, overall you just need more experience in using Sheik. At first using sheik can be really difficult but once you start using the ftilt correctly so you get some nice combos going and start using your speed it becomes a hell of a lot of fun to use her.

Keep practicing that Sheik man =3

edit: Ha, it's amazing what one can accomplish when surrounded by his family unable to play any games.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Worked on PT, but not sure if that means anything. You pretty much ***** charizard badly enough that you didn't need to look for kills and by then PT was too far behind to catch up plus you did pretty well against squirtle. I can't help but to think sheik really does need to start looking for kills around kill percents against her harder match ups (the high/top tiers ones). Try it on marth or someone relevant. I would also say you should add in some jab to nair if you're planning on letting everyone live to near 200 anyway. Like at 1:06 when he glided into your shield I think jab oos to nair would have killed him. Not sure though.

Was that my imagination?! Or did I just see what I think I just saw? Maybe I've been practicing it too much, but I thought I saw you try to DACUS at 3:33? Please tell me it wasn't a running upsmash. It'd make my week. XD

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Ankoku

Good spacing game overall. The ftilts could use some work when it comes to reading DI and acting accordingly. I saw you miss opportunities from ftilts on Squirtle. There's also a tad too much dsmash on your part, as it often hit nothing but air or got grabbed/punished.

Overall you outclassed the PT player. Didn't look like he knew much of what he was doing if I have GuruKid and Wes as standards for PT.

The kill on Ivy at the end was too good though lol. Ivysaur on Brinstar...lol.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ankoku could have 3 stocked that PT if he was looking for ftilt decayed usmash lol. Couldn't help but get the feeling heavy sandbagging was takin place on his part.

DMTManga......solid Sheik my friend. WOuld be interesting to see you in a MU where you don't have to worry about getting grabbed all the time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nah, I was mostly playing a style based entirely on reading and making his decisions look stupid since he plays with open disrespect for any walls/zoning I normally do (fighter term use of disrespect; that is, ignoring the opponent's play and just trying to power through with hitboxes), so I was just systematically countering what he did.

Fishing for KOs off of ftilt is pretty difficult on Brinstar, since the odd terrain causes her to slide around at random distances. I agree that getting KOs at under 150% is still very useful, though, since you can rarely expect to continue winning exchanges against skilled players without taking any damage yourself, and damage taken from characters like Meta Knight, Snake, and Diddy can be very dangerous.

I would've liked KOing Squirtle earlier, but when it really comes down to it I'd prioritize hitting him away and keeping control of the stage over getting stubborn for a kill setup. Upsmash is definitely one of Sheik's better KO options, even without a setup, since she can do it from a run and it's rarely decayed.

rathy, you should know better by now that I don't DACUS.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It seems like you had a fairly easy time landing b-airs. If that continues to be the case against a certain opponent, why not save f-air for kills?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
DMTManga......solid Sheik my friend. WOuld be interesting to see you in a MU where you don't have to worry about getting grabbed all the time.
Yes, those are very fun. Believe it or not, my Sheik is even faster than in that video. Can't really play as aggressively versus a Dedede, nevertheless D1's.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah... fair does start to out right kill at those higher percents and kill kill pertty low off stage fresh. Strong bair; "super sweet" bair, kills better than downsmash though.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
..How odd, whenever he get's hit upward he used nair instead of bair or fair. Wouldn't it be more effective to hold left and right while hitting A as fast as you can and then once the attack comes out to hold down?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Frankly, it doesn't matter what aerial you use if you're trying to prevent yourself from dying off the top.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Earth needs to stop immediately attempting to follow up his throws and just wait out the airdodge.

Top Bottom