• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't understand some of his decisions, but fullhop fair works well as an option select because it's faster than Olimar's aerial attack options, prevents him from jumping up and away from Sheik's pressure, and ends quickly enough to let Sheik still punish an airdodge with another aerial.

Judo777

Smash Master
Frankly, it doesn't matter what aerial you use if you're trying to prevent yourself from dying off the top.
You sure? i was under the impression that you cant fast fall until after ur aerial has completely finished.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
you can definitely fast fall while doing aerials. I do it all the time with wario - sh, upair, ffall into the ground. Great taunt lol

J4pu

Smash Champion
you can FF as soon as you press the input for an aerial
most characters can just Cstick a Dair to do it but unfortunately sheik's has the gay shoot you downward properties which causes it to actually hurt your chances of surviving when used after knockback.

j0s3ph he's talking about during the time you are taking knockback

explaining DI so often has become such a chore (thank you Falco boards) that I just subscribed to this thread so I could find it to copy the URL rather than having to explain it myself every time.
HOW TO DI
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969
TL; DR
http://i41.tinypic.com/307rzbk.jpg

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ankoku you make too many technical errors in the Ice Climber MU and you don't play gay enough or space well enough. I also have no idea why you would grab at all but that may just be me.

First IC vid: Beginning of the match hop on the platform and charge needles, I would think that this would be a given. It took you all of 15 seconds to get grabbed. Your grab risk paid off somewhat but you don't get the gimp and then decide to fair into their shield and consequently you get grabbed. That's 2 grabs in 35 seconds. 10 seconds later you decide to fair into their shield again and get grabbed. Then you choose to do a ledge roll at high percents and your opponent nearly fsmashes you. If your opponent could actually chaingrab you would be down to your last stock but since he can't you get a break. You like spotdodge to dsmash a little too much....especially in this matchup. I still don't see why you're trying to grab. There is very little spaced bairs in this vid and i'm starting to question if you're actually caring? At 2:20 you get grabbed twice in 10 seconds. Good job pummeling Popo so nana couldn't get back...i thought that was really smart. You started to pick up your play but then got grabbed consecutive times by solo Popo. make that 3 times in a row. end of the vid you randomly shoot needle storm in the wrong direction. and then he finishes it off with a grab.

Second IC vid: just hop on the platform lol you're taking unnecessary damage for whatever reason, you grabbed again<_<, then you missed a simple chance to gimp Nana. There you gimped her, now if you bothered to use DACUS you would have been able to kill Popo right there and take his stock, but instead you threw him and got chaingrabbed across the stage. Trying to grab again for whatever reason. You keep making the silly mistake of shooting full needle storms in the wrong direction. You can also just SDI their fair and tech the stage....again more technical errors. You've gotten grabbed about 7 times up to this point with the majority of those grabs being solo Popo. Last stock you failed to punish easy openings numerous times.

Third IC vid:

You keep grabbing and I guess it can work against crappy opponents like this. You missed another easy chance to eliminate Nana. Wow your ledge game needs work. Oooh the switch to Zelda trick. Hey your finally starting to run away and use platforms. Ok your grabbing is strange tbh.

I can see why you think this is a hard counter. You have average technical skill(which is needed in a MU like this), you have no idea on how to approach the matchup, and you make a lot of mistakes.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah I haven't played against Ice Climbers with Sheik in too long, lol. Just been using Marth/Peach/ZSS/Zelda whenever they came up.

I was experimenting with grab because it was the quickest way to separate the ICs and I couldn't get punished with a grab in the process.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
ICs
Overall a lot of spacing mistakes. if not mistakes, then perhaps careless behavior, since the ICs weren't really good at all. You would have gotten 3 stocked had Iris known how to CG consistently, what with all the grabs he got on you.

If you were testing things out versus the player though, that would make sense with what I saw.

Marth
coming soon...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dsmash isn't safe on shield block, Ankoku. Start by finding better attacks to use... or not using any at all. You don't have throw them out if he's going jump straight at you with stuff like blizzard. Wait and react by... I dunno. Roll behind him or even full hop d-air if you're sure it'll hit, lol. Or dash back then throw some needles.

Edit: And react to him jumping towards you, because that's what he does every time he's about to blizzard. Maybe he'll wise up and do something else.

Dcold

Smash Lord
I hate ICs so much, i really honestly have no clue to play against them, i just run away and use needles, and TRY to gimp. I really have nooo clue how to beat them in this MU.

Jo0

Smash Cadet
My main MUs are Yoshi/Gannon/Mario/PT/PIT (in order of how often I play against them), with any other MU I base strategies off tourny videos and just on the fly strategies.

ZomgNinjah!!!1

Smash Apprentice
I hate ICs so much, i really honestly have no clue to play against them, i just run away and use needles, and TRY to gimp. I really have nooo clue how to beat them in this MU.
You're doing the right thing if you're being evasive and needle camping agaqinst ICs because no one likes getting grabbed =(

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can actually use aerial relatively safely in this match up, just make sure they aren't moving when you do. Try to hit with the very tip of fair and bair. shield poke with bair when every possible. IC grab range is horrible. if they are running towards you it isn't worth risking a power shield into a or a miss spaced aerial just move away from them and set up your camp game again.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
ICs are horrid for sheik imo, since some of our safe "combos" stop being safe.
nice play, i saw that you were always trying to make the ice climbers come to you which is good.
dont use running grab or running upsmash from long distances.
running grabs range and u-smashes range is too short and unlike DACUS wont go through the opponent which makes it too easy to punish

wario you played really well, didnt fall for wario air camping, tilted at safe %s. i would put more nair into your game, there were times where it would have made the better option, especially out of ftilt when wario was at high percentages

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
ICs don't have anything that stop our combos. Ankoku was ftilt into what ever fine. But he wasn't eddge gaurding properly and missed a lot of oppertunities to split the climbers.
In that match up you have to avoid usmash dsmash and other high end lag moves. please kill off stage nana.. please.

Judo777

Smash Master
Sheik IC's is a terrible matchup even if u do seperate nana popo can limit our ability to gimp simply by grabbing the ledge because then we cant go near as far out to gimp nana. also the fact that there are 2 of them with different percents makes our combos not work simply because they have different knock back.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
DDonaldo, btilt->boost pivot grab wreck the climbes, same with jab boost piviot grab. IC don't have attacks fast enough to really answer things like that (piviot grab is also five frames I believe so buffer that...) It is very very low risk because of the IC run speed fall speed and attack speed. they just can't quickly answer that grab + and a back throw.
And you don't have to go into grabs you can btilt into finishers utilt, nair etc. which also have a high split rate.

all this keeping in mind everything you have spare down air and your smashes out ranges ICs grab range/sheild grab ability. but you should definitely be playing with the mid set of "okay this is a kill move but will it definitely hit? is it worth a full stock risk?"

@ Judo
did you guys even watch Ankoku's match?
1:00 definitely could have even the match back up
1:27 could have taken out nana

with either of those the match would have been much better

as sheik you should definitely be trying to save your jumps for just such an occasion everytime you try to gimp. and really all it takes is just a forward air at any point in her recovery process it isn't often you have to go far off stage to gimp. in the examples from Ankoku's match he had prime examples of the normal gimp op in which popo isn't even a factor.

I hate saying this but I have tons of sheik versus IC matches up. I get three stocked a few times, sure, but you can begin to see why I feel the way I do about the match up. It definitely isn't even or anything but it isn't "horrible" or "unwinnable" by any means. sheik is just too fast to really be locked down.

Judo777

Smash Master
DDonaldo, btilt->boost pivot grab wreck the climbes, same with jab boost piviot grab. IC don't have attacks fast enough to really answer things like that (piviot grab is also five frames I believe so buffer that...) It is very very low risk because of the IC run speed fall speed and attack speed. they just can't quickly answer that grab + and a back throw.
And you don't have to go into grabs you can btilt into finishers utilt, nair etc. which also have a high split rate.

all this keeping in mind everything you have spare down air and your smashes out ranges ICs grab range/sheild grab ability. but you should definitely be playing with the mid set of "okay this is a kill move but will it definitely hit? is it worth a full stock risk?"

@ Judo
did you guys even watch Ankoku's match?
1:00 definitely could have even the match back up
1:27 could have taken out nana

with either of those the match would have been much better

as sheik you should definitely be trying to save your jumps for just such an occasion everytime you try to gimp. and really all it takes is just a forward air at any point in her recovery process it isn't often you have to go far off stage to gimp. in the examples from Ankoku's match he had prime examples of the normal gimp op in which popo isn't even a factor.

I hate saying this but I have tons of sheik versus IC matches up. I get three stocked a few times, sure, but you can begin to see why I feel the way I do about the match up. It definitely isn't even or anything but it isn't "horrible" or "unwinnable" by any means. sheik is just too fast to really be locked down.
I wasn't even referring to ankokus matches i was just talking about the matchup. And if u save ur jumps then u cant go near far enough off the stage to hit nana to where popo cant save her with up which teleports her ******** distances.and just remember anytime u are attacking nana popo can attack u in the process especially since most of the time nana is sent upward after ur moves which is where IC's love u to be.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
While I actually agree with you <3, I usually judge a matchup by how much effort we have to put in, and when 1 incorrectly spaced aerial, or an ftilt at a slight wrong % can lose you a stock, I consider it a bad matchup. especially when compared to the rest of the roster we dont have a reliable way of outcamping ICs effectively and our attacks arent that disjointed, meaning our aerials have to be spaced "perfectly" consistently

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think Peach or Zelda have it in them to pivot grab anyone reliably.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Seriously IC grab range, openeing dasd and movespeed are so poor you don't really have to worry about "perfect spacing" percent spacing is what you need versus D3, not IC. their piviot grab is good but it should really be a huge factor in this match up I think.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I couldn't take the first game seriously, but Snakeee certainly did **** pretty hard in the second one.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I couldn't take the first game seriously, but Snakeee certainly did **** pretty hard in the second one.
Thanks. Yeah the first match looks kind of ******** because I was checking how the grab release - DACUS worked on ZSS because I forgot if it did or not lol.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I wanna see more of your sheik. you're good but I see some stuff you do that you don't know you shouldn't. post in the sheik boards I see you floating around everywhere else, you probably know tons of stuff we don't and I don't doubt we could help you're sheik out a smidgen as well.

I wish i could name search myself...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Even if I could seach "<3" or "less" or "three" it is very low probability I'd be the subject. LessThanThree never comes up.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
rathy is VERY name searchable. =P

I should play against snakeee and see what sheik tips he has. I'm just lazy to leave my house. lol

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Snakeee should come to PolyBrawl. Been a while. Tournament is in March and the AiB already has 45 people attending.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I name search and all I get are posts of me advertising myself:(
dMT shall solve your problem Mars.

Step 1: Stop advertising yourself.

Step 2: Refer to Step 1.

Repeat as often as necessary to produce more entertaining Name Search results.

J4pu

Smash Champion
snakee you should pummel when they're grabbed if they aren't mashing buttons to escape, it will force them to make a choice, mash buttons and risk an air grab release combo or take unnecessary damage. Of course if they start mashing while you are pummeling, stop pummeling before you think they are gunna get released to try for the grab release.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
@Greyfox, nice use of the ftilt combos
4 things I would like to point out
1. use more n-air, it is a great aerial and makes a great oos option, especially since our "normal" grab range is quite small
2. use less f-smash, it can be very tempting to use but will rarely work and can be severly punished, it range might seem attractive but there is always a better option than f-smash
3. u might already know this but judging from the vid, just to let u know that sheik has more than 4 directions she can vanish, even more than 8, so if your opponent is edge guarding you , aim to vanish in an upwards diagonal.
4.u almost took advantage of this, at 1:11, instead of going for the flurry you could have changed your direction of the f-tilt and still got it to combo, useful tool for characters that find it hard to escape or opponents who are being lazy with their SDI

but all in all, a good performance

Top Bottom