• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Also I would abuse ftilt more in this matchup
He demonstrated grenade escapes several times before, so I limit my ftilts on him to 1 and maybe 2 at a time. Grabbing tends to be the better option: only way to set him up for more juggles without eating 'nade damage.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Haven't watched it yet but. ftilt will work just have to do it past a certain percent. I got for 40 to give myself a lot of room for error. be careful with utilt he can inturupt it with nades as well. hard to do that on reaction. and same with that as well after certain percent it becomes impossible there too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
For Snake, if you are not frame perfect with your ftilt lock, he will pull a grenade and interrupt it. This is because while it takes a while for him to actually be able to throw or move around with it, the actual grenade comes out on frame 1. If you can't time the ftilt properly or don't have just the right amount of decay, it's safer to just dsmash or grab after two ftilts.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Here's another...as they get uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn5IrGWDopE vs Snake

PS. After watching it myself I see how bad I performed in general. I feel like I won due to his unusual mistakes this game. My juggle game was off and well yea... It seems I'm somehow picking up rolling habits again >_>.

Critiques always appreciated, and thank you all.
You rolled too much on this one, too. Snake tried to punish your rolls, but kept messing up his spacing.

You're going to rack up the most damage on Snake by juggling. Snake can try and escape this by pulling out a nade. If he does this, grab him. From what I've heard, up throw and back throw does not blow up the nade, and it puts Snake back in the air.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
You rolled too much on this one, too. Snake tried to punish your rolls, but kept messing up his spacing.

You're going to rack up the most damage on Snake by juggling. Snake can try and escape this by pulling out a nade. If he does this, grab him. From what I've heard, up throw and back throw does not blow up the nade, and it puts Snake back in the air.
yup like I said I seem to be picking up a roll habit again. Perhaps cuz of my concentration on experimenting and training DACUS lately in friendlies that I don't concentrate much on the match. Yup uthrow and bthrow indeed do not blow up the nade.

Thanks for the input everyone. Always appreciated.

Dcold

Smash Lord
yup like I said I seem to be picking up a roll habit again. Perhaps cuz of my concentration on experimenting and training DACUS lately in friendlies that I don't concentrate much on the match. Yup uthrow and bthrow indeed do not blow up the nade.

Thanks for the input everyone. Always appreciated.
You could tell when you were going to use a DACUS. You would always retreating roll to it, being easily read. Easier to DACUS from your starting position to catch people off guard, or throw fully charged needles then DACUS without rolling. Can catch people off guard after being hit with needles and then a dacus right after it.

iLight

Smash Lord
even better = dash dance to DACUS though very hard to learn or at least it was for me

at a little past mid ranged
dash toward opponent -> away from -> back towards -> DACUS

honestly it is easily the most useful technique i have mastered with sheik, it lands so much.

The only reason why it works for me is because of how much i sheild dash/dash around already though honestly it would work for almost anyone just because of how metagame reactions are. It just baits the other person into throwing out an attack or starting a short hop giving you the freedom to DACUS them. And if they don't react you can always just short hop and space an aerial instead of dacus at the end =]

-dMT-

Smash Lord
You could tell when you were going to use a DACUS. You would always retreating roll to it, being easily read. Easier to DACUS from your starting position to catch people off guard, or throw fully charged needles then DACUS without rolling. Can catch people off guard after being hit with needles and then a dacus right after it.
lol yup. That was me practicing DACUS in friendlies. I never sit down and practice stuff in training mode always in friendlies. Needles to DACUS sounds good though. Next up is figuring out how to land DACUS after I got performace down.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Good ways to practice DACUS without rolling or being unpredictable are [well what I did] :

1. For about a week of playing, change your control settings making it that you CAN'T DACUS [Probably use R for DACUS don't you? Then make R back to sheild]. Then after a week, you play with your settings back or use DACUS again being unpredictable so you don't have to roll or rely on it too much when you use it.

2. Practice the GRUST. Since there is no window for you to roll backwards and get DACUS off, it helps your ability to standing DACUS and makes you not have to roll to feel safe using it [ I was, idk about you lol].

After doing these i can get the GRUST like 80% of the time against MK, even on wifi. Helps

Dcold

Smash Lord
Lol sorry, i just love my acronyms. That's basically the only reliable way i go for killing MKs now, i don't really try for the Ftilt to Usmash on him anymore because if i do it too late, the decay is off, and if i do it too early he can get out. I usually just ftilt him until i can utilt him. Then probably get a ftilt to dsmash, grab him -> pummel and then wait for the release.

*NOTE* If you pummel him [idk the EXACT frame or timing] right before he would usually break out popping up, then he will fall to the ground. That goes with EVERY character, so better to just pummel once or twice instead of trying to get over 9000 damage with pummel. Then GRUST IT UP BABY

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I only had enough time to watch the first two vids. This pretty much applies to both videos:

This Diddy seems like he is spamming attacks and hoping it hits you. Don't jump into his attacks.

Whenever the Diddy player throws a banana at you, you can shoot some needles back. You will probably get hit by the banana, but the needles stop the Diddy from doing any follow ups on you. Also, if you charge up the needles and the Diddy doesn't block them, the trade off is in your favor.

In my experience, if you ever grab on of Diddy's bananas, you should throw it away. Don't try to use it against Diddy too much because Diddy can use bananas much better than Sheik can. If you manage to throw both of Diddy's bananas away, the match up becomes MUCH easier. So, once you get rid of both bananas, don't give Diddy any breathing room. Use Sheik's speed and rack up as much damage as you can on him before Diddy is able to pull out bananas again. If the Diddy decides to pull bananas and you are close enough to him, then either catch the bananas and throw them away, or hit the Diddy then throw away the bananas.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can pick up an item out of a run without doing a dash attack. while you are in that lame slide to a stop animtion everyone has you can pick up items still. so do that instead when aplicable it helps a lot to speed you up versus diddy. you can't do it in the initial run animation though.

Haven't watched most of them but you seem to do a good job of keeping diddy away from the nannas which is so important. you can't let him get that momentum. That said though I did see him miss a lot of big damage oppertunities and stuff you gave him. I didn't see you giving him many kill options though.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I just played a friend on wi-fi last might that used Diddy.
He done about 60% on me at FD. I almost won the match though.......
However, I now have an even deeper hatred towards those stupid peels.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
ankoku i love the sheik :). i suggest power shield to nairs more (which i always do, almost unpunishable). and try to predict and catch a banana and play with his bananas more like throw one in the air, or throw it on the ground twice then throw it in the air you know just play with your opponents head. or throw it against their shield from above, and keep on catching it that sort of thing. oh also. spot dodge to dsmash is a bad habit, learn to stop that or mix it up, it might work on wifi. ftilt to nairs, to fairs are good too. i saw on lylat that you diddnt tether cancel while the diddy was trying to recover, to get a easy gimp. boost pivot grabs would help you alot too. your zoning and spacing is amazing so keep it up

saviorslegacy

Friendly with my brother uploaded courtesy of Ankoku:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYS2REsnGFs

I still don't have the replay hack so it's hard to play as gay as I usually do and make it under 3 minutes. I've been working on limiting my dsmashes lately amongst other things. Plz rate/critique/whatever ;)
*claps* I thought you done pretty good.
Try using more Needle's and more Bair. Also, don't rely on all of those little jab things you were doing.
I have been punished enough by Nicalobe that I look at jab cancels and say "only into grab".
Stupid Yoshi always Nairs out. -_-

Also don't over exert your ledge game. You were going out to far and Kirby can punish you for that.
Swan against Kirby is really good, but beware of attempts to get out.
Also, space your chain more.
You might want to attempt DA is a punishing move.

That is my two sense.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
*bets half of those dash attacks were failed DACUSes* lol

I liked that sheik. Not going to bother critiquing as I don't feel have enough knowledge of sheik atm.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*claps* I thought you done pretty good.
Try using more Needle's and more Bair. Also, don't rely on all of those little jab things you were doing.
I have been punished enough by Nicalobe that I look at jab cancels and say "only into grab".
Stupid Yoshi always Nairs out. -_-

Also don't over exert your ledge game. You were going out to far and Kirby can punish you for that.
Swan against Kirby is really good, but beware of attempts to get out.
Also, space your chain more.
You might want to attempt DA is a punishing move.

That is my two sense.
Thanks. I'll work on all of that.

*bets half of those dash attacks were failed DACUSes* lol

I liked that sheik. Not going to bother critiquing as I don't feel have enough knowledge of sheik atm.
Doesn't matter to me i'm willing to accept advice or criticism from anyone. ;)

Second vid is up......looking at these i'm kinda disappointed that I can't ever get any good vids of mine recorded. Next tourny I go to over Christmas break i'll try to get some tourny vids up.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Didn't watch the whole match, but you have MAD bad habbits. I'll actually comment futher when I have a chance, but for now sleep.

edit: chain is better short hopped. Rolling like that is pretty much hoping that your opponent is to inexperienced to just punish you and let you punish him. You seriously need to incorporate running and walking into your game. Ppl can see fsmash coming. lol I don't suggest continuing to ftilt a sheild cuz its really easy for them to punish. if you hit a shield with ftilt i'd suggest you grab or move out of punishment range. Trying to punish that spotdodge with dacus was pretty smart actually, but now you know its not fast enough for that. lol. Save needles for punishment. you don't have to, but when i use them for anything, but that ppl just sheild them (unless you're trying to camp him). You down smash a little too much. There are sometimes better options like ftilt in some of those cases.

My vague attempt at a critique. I'd give it a 4. lol

saviorslegacy

Critique away.. Tried changing my gamestyle a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnP7JC0_6kQ
#1 You aren't using the Chain properly.

#2 Don't roll so much. When retreating running is much faster.

#3 Try and get away to charge Needle's more.

#4 DA= a punishing tool... not an approaching tool for when they can shield you.
Punish lag with it.

#5 You are not spacing properly. The idea is to barely hit them.

#6 You are not using DACUS the correct way.
Use DACUS as a punishing tool or as a combo tool. And standing there is not something that needs punished. -_- lol

#7 Shield dash more and shield grab more.
That and just grab more period.

#8 Also, you need to SH and space with Bair a LOT more.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
Mhmm, I'm aware, be rough this time everyone please. =D

I've got another match with my gameplay really changed, but I want this critiqued first. ><

(Thanks for those critiques Saviors)

About the Chain, could you dig more onto that? I pretty much would like to know the use of it. (I know mine's dumb.)

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Speaking of chain, would anybody be interested in testing the validity of the Chain Lock? Especially the reverse? I wanna know, if done perfectly, what characters are unable to escape. I have limited time for this, but I know that if done correctly, D3 can't escape. I don't really have any way of getting video so if anyone would endure this task, it might help the community out.

*Back to point* If you wanna know the use of the chain? Camp MK. There's the point XD

saviorslegacy

The Chain gives 3 frames of stun to the foe and can attack every 2 frames.
So if you are good enough you can lock EVERYONE in the game.

Judo777

Smash Master
We've BEEN talking about the SH chain. SH Chain > Standing Chain -.-

Yes i know SH chain is better in most cases over standing chain but as i said i dont think anyone has taken the time to get the frame data for SH chain. SH is definitely NOT the same speed as standing chain. It is quite a bit slower than the standing chain but it has more knockback and does 5 dmg a hit. But im tired of people always saying that you can chain camp ppl because the chain does a hit every 2 frames and has 3 frames of hitstun, when in reality chain camping is more effective with SH chain which doesnt hit that fast.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Yes i know SH chain is better in most cases over standing chain but as i said i dont think anyone has taken the time to get the frame data for SH chain. SH is definitely NOT the same speed as standing chain. It is quite a bit slower than the standing chain but it has more knockback and does 5 dmg a hit. But im tired of people always saying that you can chain camp ppl because the chain does a hit every 2 frames and has 3 frames of hitstun, when in reality chain camping is more effective with SH chain which doesnt hit that fast.
Lol SL. SH Chain does seem a little laggier when i try to hit through MK's tornado compared to standing. I guess that's the trade off.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
It's hard to dacus, conststently. how do you expect to; as a human being; consistently capitalize on a one frame advantage every two frames?

saviorslegacy

Lol SL. SH Chain does seem a little laggier when i try to hit through MK's tornado compared to standing. I guess that's the trade off.
The release is still 21 frames.
The attack frames is what Judo is talking about.

BTW, I prefer grounded chain.
The reason being is that you can deal more damage with it.

Top Bottom