• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
yh what ankoku said, just that one uses the control stick and the other uses the c-stick and combined lets you escape locks alot quicker

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
wow those were some awesome friendlies. you really played this match well. I personally believe this matchup to be a disadvantage against sheik but your spacing was perfect that DK really couldnt do anything to you.
lol isnt really anything I can "critique" on tbh, except vs DK i dont believe f-throw is the best option simply because DK likes the ground and he can DI away and towards the ground more effectively vs f-throw
and correct me if i am wrong, havent played since forever due to uni and whatnot but do we have any air GR options vs DK

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Hey, I got a match I would like critiqued:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiGWkch4ho

This was at Halloween Bash.
Yea............., Me and <3 I think gave Seibrik all the Sheik experience so he isn't a stranger to Sheik lol.

As far as the match is concerned, you start your first stock really well but at 0:54 you had a golden chance to take his first stock with the grab-release DACUS. I'm sure you can do it but that was a definite shot. All in all, you kinda let that first stock get away from ya. Against Seibrik, be careful attacking his shield, he's a DDD so yea, he's definitely gonna grab ya.

When you went Zelda, you could have use a little better spacing, but you got the stock and didn't take a beating. What more can you ask?

There was a stretch when Seibrik came back on his 2nd stock where Seibrik dictated to you; I think maybe some more needles could have broke that momentum. If things like that start to happen, either get a needle or two in or try and reset your position/spacing. If you can't, especially against MK, things get bad, which I noticed on your last stock.

On your last stock, Seibrik kicks it up a notch. One thing for sure, at low damage, don't for the love of god don't be above MK. Strings of pain start to happen and your damage adds up so quick you kinda wanna drop the controller. As I mentioned before, Seibrik built some heavy momentum you couldn't catch your footing. All I can really offer in situations like those are you get outta there and reset. If you spend a whole stock on the defensive, stuff like that happens. It's happened to me a few times against Brik. D*** him lol.

I certainly enjoyed how you began the match but momentum has to be stopped dead in its tracks before it gets like that.

Meh, my two cents after staying up again.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, basically what scary said. Your spacing was practically perfect at the first stock. Your main and probably only real problem was jumping onto MK.
MK is one of those characters that f-air is never a safe option as every move he has beats it, in fact jumping/aerialing "onto" MK should never be done imo

Also abuse the needles more, that way he has to approach you

Also yh you missed that golden chance when you grabbed him near the edge. But those were ur only faults I though

will comment on ankoku's later =]

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.

Not enough GR for sure.
STAY AWAY FROM BEING ABOVE MK!!!!!!!!

I can't really point out what else you did wrong.
Maybe space better, use Chain, use DACUS, ect.

:EDIT:
MATCH OF ME! ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7vRwAG2ow
If you notice I am using a new technique that involves perfect shielding and then sliding while in my shield.
If people want me to show how useful my techs are before I post them then fine.....

saviorslegacy

That Snake practically killed himself twice. T_T
He said he was trying to f-tilt but he went over the ledge and performed Fair.

I learned my lesson on that. If you are close to the ledge... NEVER PERFORM DSMASH!!!!!!
If a foe shield's you are gonna slide off and perform Dair. Which is always a stock.....

He unfortunately hasn't learned this yet.....

ps NEVER PLAY AT FRIGATE ORPHEN!!!!! Sheik can't grab one side and if the moving platform is up you have little hope of recovery.......

At least at FD/any other place when a foe try's to gimp you, you can always Chain.
There, you have no protection except maybe Fair, B reverse Bair and Uair.
*sigh* My match's there are always depressing.
On the other hand, we have more GR> DACUS at the second half of the stage.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
nice performance by you savior, but in all honesty that was probably one of the worst snake players ive ever seen in a long while

saviorslegacy

nice performance by you savior, but in all honesty that was probably one of the worst snake players ive ever seen in a long while
Meh, late night Johns.
We were both about to fall asleep. It was like 2 am.
In his defense, one match I only got 80% on him.

I only put that video up because I needed something to show how my game has evolved since my last upload.
I was only able to record that one because he messed up so much. Most of the time we were pushing 5 minutes because I would out maneuver his wall and he would stay out of my reach. Now those were good match's. To bad I lost my splitter cable's........

*sigh* Has no one noticed the new AT in that video? I performed it twice. -_-

saviorslegacy

I didn't notice it making any kind of a difference.
One time it led to a grab.
I examined it closer and found that the second one was an oops. I was supposed to shield but I didn't. Owell... never mind.
what new AT
Basically I found a way that when you shield and get hit you can slide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWj8un-Qt4
I learned from this video.

Unfortunately you don't end with a slide that epic. MK moves like that due to the constant hit box.
Also, there are two ways to perform. One in that video, one in my match (the safer version).

I'm not talking or posting this because I am afraid of Dedede. I don't want someone that isn't Sheik to become BRKN or more BRKN.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I didn't know that SDIing while in shield was something new and unknown.

saviorslegacy

I didn't know that SDIing while in shield was something new and unknown.
They had a thread up with like 4 pages on it of stumped people.
After I saw that I assumed no one knew what it was.

If it is known for gods sake don't tell the Dedede mains!!!!!
They could shield dash> shield DI> grab through projectiles. O-o Oh, and long ranged moves.....

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Since when did people know about SDIing while sheilding? That seems like an extremely useful AT to me. You'd think we'd see it more. o.o

Judo777

Smash Master
I didn't know you could SDI while shielding that's neat. Also if you DSMASH and get pushed off the ledge you dont have to die there was an entire thread on preventing this stuff. After the dsmash just input something else if you suspect you'll slide off and youll buffer that instead.

clowsui

Smash Legend
shield sdi on moves such as falco's laser that have virtually 0 shieldstun is pretty much useless, you're better off shield di'ing tjolts or waddles or something

shield di is only really really good when you have multi-hitters or strong projectiles...shield di is a reason why needles may not be as effective as the opponent gets closer to your max dash attack range

saviorslegacy

shield sdi on moves such as falco's laser that have virtually 0 shieldstun is pretty much useless, you're better off shield di'ing tjolts or waddles or something

shield di is only really really good when you have multi-hitters or strong projectiles...shield di is a reason why needles may not be as effective as the opponent gets closer to your max dash attack range
Needles have never been effective at close range..... To much ending lag.
At medium range... maybe...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
His sheik is legit. Only thing I would complain about is he needs to find more reliable ways to kill (DACUS?). I could actually see him being one of the top 5 sheiks. Not doing a full critique or anything since he'd probably not see it anyway. lol

thanks for the vid.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I wouldn't take this vid as an indicator of his skill because it was against ADHD, Diddy is a gay character and forces you to play differently, and he made several big mistakes that cost him the match(like the transform lol). The platform cancelled aerials were nice but other than that I didn't really see anything spectacular and he could have challenged Diddy a little more offstage, but overall pretty good.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
He also needs to utilt more. I dont think he used utilt once and I saw like five times he should've

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
like marsulas said, diddy forces you to play out of your comfort zone. havent played brawl in ages but I remember playing quite a few diddys.
Although neo used practically no tilts that match (considering ftilt is easily sheiks best tool), but since he is mainly a brawl marth player, he is probably not used to implementing tilts into his game

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You roll way too much and throw a lot of needles into his shield within punishment distance.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Got another friendly vid for you guys to critique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr61rvKVGoU vs MK
Don't throw out vanish like that. You were getting really predictable with that, so all the MK did was play safely and punish you for it.

Rolling too much.

You used dair too much to get back to the stage and paid for it with a stock. Dair should only be used as a surprise move, if at all.

Do not follow MK off stage if he goes under the stage that far. You could have easily ledge guarded him.

If you throw needles at his tornado, get ready for his side B. Most MKs, when using th nado, will spam B and go towards or away from you. So if you interrupt his tornado with needles, he will almost always use his side B. From there, you can punish it or you can ledge guard MK if he side Bs off stage (which he did once in you match).

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I think you played quite well, my only critique that I would say that hasnt been mentioned is:

1.vanish catch is a gimmick imo and useless due to lag, to avoid this vanish on the same spot, since you were vanishing away you were always at risk of catching him.
I use vanish in my KO game as well but like stealth said you were overdoing it to the point where in a way you were mocking your opponent (it would be like every so often using ike's neutral B). vanish imo should only be used onstage if your opponent is in an awkward state

2. Its good you are using nair, many ppl neglect it but I found you were replacing bair with nair and fair. I would never really recommend fair unless you are comboing it otherwise MK will just outrange or shield grab. Also nair is more of a combo ender/OoS option/KO attack but there were times you were using it to space which I think bair is more suited to

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Here's another...as they get uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn5IrGWDopE vs Snake

PS. After watching it myself I see how bad I performed in general. I feel like I won due to his unusual mistakes this game. My juggle game was off and well yea... It seems I'm somehow picking up rolling habits again >_>.

Critiques always appreciated, and thank you all.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
good for forcing snake to approach you with needles although when snake is a stock up its not such a good idea since he wont mind playing the camping game as much.
try to mix up you juggle approach since most of the time you were just directly jumping to him so he would always know when to AD to safety
Also I would abuse ftilt more in this matchup

Top Bottom