• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
On the topic of space animals, I need help with fighting Falco on the stage. Off the stage I feel comfortable because I know how to aggressively edgeguard him. On the stage I feel like we get destroyed :

Also when is it better to use Up-throw or Down Throw on spacies and why?(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Don't U-throw it sucks.

Onstage just troll him with range and platform drop / platform waveland Fairs and Bairs. Nair OOS a bunch.

CC F-tilt lasers if he's trying to come in after them and he's not spaced.

Move back out of shield a lot with roll or WD because trying to shield grab him can be futile. Lightshielding to get away is also effective.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
i need to learn how to beat the following: falcon, fox, falco, and peach. I'm going back to the states and i need to relearn everything(except against marth)

gm jack

Smash Lord
If you see them double jump into a position to side b, I tend to DJ nair onto the stage. If you hit, run off and finish the job, if they make it to stage, try to get them back off the edge from their landing lag. If they go into a position to up B, dj after them and fair them.

Stupidly simple way to think about it and not always the best thing to do, but I find it is a good method the start from. Either way, as most decent spacies can do all kinds of sweet spotting their recoveries, being off stage seems far more effective.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys thanks so much for all the edgeguarding help so far.

what should you do if a spacie up B's below the stage and you dont have time to drop down and fair them?
dsmash?
run off nair and trade hits?
grab the edge?
SH needle?
run off bair?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
sh needle is probably 2nd best thing you listed but fails on yoshi

if you can:

1) if you're close enough you can run off bair, beat the firefox, then combo another bair, which is better than sh needle

2) you can also run off bair dj bair on battlefield or if they can't do a super ridiculous squeeze and dodge it and just tap w/ the weak hit then do a normal edgeguard after

those two are the best, but you gotta be close enough to do them

they're untechable and ****

sh fair is pointless... if you can try to time a sh fair you can go for sh needles which can't be teched so they're better

on yoshi i d-smash because you can't sh needle

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Is dsmashing at the ledge as an edgeguard against the spacies good at all when they're coming from below with firefox? I would assume no, because they can usually just come up at a low angle and burn you from below, right?

soap

Smash Hero
dsmash can work but u gotta space it so the tips of your legs hit the edge, and u gotta wait an extra split second usually cuz they will grind the stage a lil and u wanna hit em with the strong hit.

i used to get burned with the fire all the time. but drephen does this real good and I took his timing.

i usually don't dsmash tho. drop a needle on their head and run off and weak bair them into stage so they can't tech

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
ok thanks everyone i think i know how to edgeguard spacies in every situation now :) next person that i suck at edgeguarding is marth....

what i do at the moment to edgeguard marth is i normally shoot needles at them to try and bait them into upBing early, then i CC dsmash their upB. Im assuming that this is not the best thing to do.

What should I be doing???

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if possible, grab edge. From here you can hit him early with a bair (if they sideb in your range you get a free bair) or just edgehog and grab->**** him if he goes on stage.

If you cant get edge, your best bet is probably to space a fair at the edge and respace if he sweetspots.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
ok thanks everyone i think i know how to edgeguard spacies in every situation now :) next person that i suck at edgeguarding is marth....

what i do at the moment to edgeguard marth is i normally shoot needles at them to try and bait them into upBing early, then i CC dsmash their upB. Im assuming that this is not the best thing to do.

What should I be doing???
Well if you'd like I'll share a few things I use vs Marth:

If I grab edge and they're not hugging the stage you can let go of the edge with a bair, it'll lightly hit them so you can do a DJ strong bair.

If you grab edge and they are hugging the stage I usually do a low ledgehop nair. That will either stage spike then you go yay or they'll tech it, usually marths just tech the stage drop down and try to up-b again in which you can just repeat this process or roll if you think they're going for a sweetspot. I would suggest after doing a nair to just hold down in case they do a tech jump bair. Then you can just CC it and turn around needle grab edge then edgeguard again.

If marth is above the stage and far away (yet to use their DJ) I usually throw grounded needles so that the needles will hit marth given that they do not double jump. That usually robs them of their momentum or forces them to DJ in a spot they don't want to and makes edgeguarding easier.

If they get hit really, really far you can just lightshield edgeguard them.

And well yea thats what I do anyway =3

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Against EVERYONE!

Edgeguard with Dair, all the way up the platforms, followed by Uair or Usmash off the top.

EDGEGUARD with that.

It works.

Really though, Sheik is fun to fight. The few players that dabled in Sheik around here are actually doing Sheikesk stuff with her and using her for realz instead of lulz.

Tec0 and KK, I didn't get to play either of you enough.
Next time we slumber, you're not allowed to leave or do ANYTHING but play with me...
sound good? ;)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if they are just gonna grab the edge if you do nothing i dont see how at least adding damage and making them recover again isn't a step better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if you cant get edge safely but arent just barely making it to the edge when they upb, you can run off bair and the light hit bair will beat/trade with pretty much every recovery in the game

soap

Smash Hero
if you cant get edge safely but arent just barely making it to the edge when they upb, you can run off bair and the light hit bair will beat/trade with pretty much every recovery in the game
doesn't work so well against marth and doc imo

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Wow, Amsah your sheik is like. Freakin beautiful LOL.

I never thought I'd use that to describe a player's play but w/e.

I need to quit sheik just what have I been doing LOL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Amsah, why did you DI the dthrow inwards a few times and why didn't Ice ftilt or something? (asking because i obviously don't understand PAL metagame)

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Amsah, why did you DI the dthrow inwards a few times and why didn't Ice ftilt or something? (asking because i obviously don't understand PAL metagame)
Everyone's so used to immediately running for a dash attack, I was trying to catch him off-guard/make him panic and ftilt (or in a perfect world, nair him before he even did that). But he was apparently well prepared for that..:awesome:

Top Bottom