• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
^We are a very friendly group.
GTFO NOOB

Also, I'd recommend skipping Emerald; there is a major difference between Generation III and Generation IV: the physical / special split. For example, Fire Punch is special in Gen III, but physical in Gen IV.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
When I did it for 1 and red, it was glitched and I couldn't keep any items I transferred.

I also lost every poke I downloaded from red every time I started a new file and linked with Stadium.

So it wasn't perfect. But it was there.

Pokemon Box has room for 1500 pokes.

That is a ****load of room. Perfect for breeders like myself and Shimazu.
I really wish we'd do that. I get so many meh pokemon I keep. Like today, an Impish Female(win) 29-1-31-31-30-31 Hippowdon.If only the attack was higher. <.< Sadly though, I cut the whole 9 teams thing down to 2 (Sandstorm and Offense) with a few interchangable pokemon, mainly because I have no time to make that many teams... ;_;
Isn't B/W going to be 2011 for America? Thats my question, and honestly, I hope it is. Graduation + college + work + Metroid games + Zelda + FF13 finally + all this crap ontop of pokemon = no way SS will be "done" by August or something...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Really? It worked fine for me. :|
I used it mainly to transfer my legendary Pokemon to new games of Pokemon Yellow every time I started a new one.
I have two Hoothoot that became Clefairy because PS2

Two, Drill Pecking Clefairy.

Stable is the LAST thing I would call it.

Mewter

Smash Master
Really? I lol'd.
Now that you mention it, my Mewtwo's stats did keep increasing every time I transferred it through iirc (HP rose from 390 something to 418).

That can't be a bad thing though, right?

It's pretty stable. :p

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
I just don't know if a different region disk is going to be able to interact through a US GameCube to a US GBA playing a US copy of a third gen game, and if I do end up getting Pokémon Box, I don't want to spend money on another region's version before I find out that it doesn't work and I have to spend a ton of money on the US version in addition to the $20+ I just spent on a useless game.
I'm pretty sure this is what i said, thanks for agreeing with me while thinking you weren't

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm pretty sure this is what i said, thanks for agreeing with me while thinking you weren't
There's no reason to be nasty and sarcastic about it, I wasn't attacking you or something.

I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to say, to be honest. Your wording was really confusing to me.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Guys, how do you teach someone how to play competitive Pokemon? A girl asked me to teach her how to play Shoddy and I'm. . . trying to come up with a way, but, anything aside from experience seems like it would be over whelming. I learned gradually, and still have a ways to go, but I can't fathom how to teach someone it so that they can play decently. My first reaction was to link them to the top threats and pokemon she should look out for, but if she doesn't know how to build a team, what does that matter? I'm at a loss here. Does Smogon have a good article for beginners?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yes

If I were you, I would pull up a Shoddy team and simply explain how it works. Start with the EVs, explain them. Explain how natures affect stats. Show her some of the common items, and what abilities are used. Explain why you chose the moves you chose.

Would probably work the best with a balanced team.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah, balance is probably the way to go. Start with the smaller stuff like items, natures, even abilities first. Typing and EV's could come next.

-Terywj

Masky

Smash Master
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Another quick question:

How viable are defensive teams in OU? I've heard Pokemon has a pretty offensive metagame, what's the most defensive my team can be and still have it be good?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
It's best to give them all the vitamins you want to feed them at once, or at least before you start training them for the stat the vitamin raises.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah. Since vitamins give the respective stat a boost of 10, capping at 10 total vitamins you're better off starting the stats you'd need with however many vitamins first.

-Terywj

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey ive got a question about breeding... alright so first off im still wondering about how to make a perfect iv'd pokemon.. also can i breed a riolu or does it have to be a lucario? (riolu is just an example)

Could maybe one of you make a video about makeing a perfect iv'd pokemon because im still not understanding it.

Thanks ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Alright thanks flyinfilipino. I used to only get pokemon from other people and use an AR so all of this is kinda new to me lol. All i know how to do is breed for nature xD.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Q: I've obtained the National Dex and exited the Vermillion City Pokemon Fanclub building, but Steven Stone is nowhere is to be seen.

- Are there other pre-requirements?
- Do I have to find Latias before she is tracked on my PokeGear?

-Terywj

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
You must talk to the Mimic girl (and get her to ask you to find her doll) before you talk to the Fanclub guy, or else he won't give you the Clefairy doll. Steven won't appear if you don't have the doll.

Also, once Steven tells you Lati@s is in Kanto, you'll be able to see it on the map, just like with the dogs.

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. What is generally the fastest way to level pokemon? I'm thinking of trading, then daycare, then trading whatever pokemon it is back. Also, do pokemon receive an exp multiplier each time they are traded?

Mewter

Smash Master
I have a question. What is generally the fastest way to level pokemon? I'm thinking of trading, then daycare, then trading whatever pokemon it is back. Also, do pokemon receive an exp multiplier each time they are traded?
Trade it over to another game, equip it with Lucky Egg, and train it through the Elite Four.
No, they just keep an experience multiplier of 1.5 if they are traded.

HotWings

Smash Ace

I wouldnt worry about the daycare.. just trade it then put a lucky egg on it and start grinding the elite 4. This is the fastest way to level up your pokemon.

Oh and if the pokemon is at low level then just get a lv.100 pokemon in the front of your party and put an exp. share on the pokemon you want to train and grind the elite 4 until your pokemon is high enough level to battle on its own.

Hope i helped

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
Well I have gen3 (ruby). I don't think lucky egg is in that, and I'm trying to level a Gyarados so he can learn ice fang. I spent a lot of money via daycare ( but mainly Flannery taking like 10k pokecash >=X ... ) So there's not a lot of things I can buy in that game right now. (I have 5000 p, and I've beaten all the trainers that I can access, so the only way to get it would be either to sell everything I have, beat Flannery, or run around in Falabor till I get like ten blue flutes.)

Mewter

Smash Master
You can get lucky eggs from Chansey (if they're around) or from Pokemon XD.
Why would you need ten blue flutes?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well fighting the Elite Four gives you exp and money.

Trade your Pokémon, fight through the elite four. Then you can buy whatever you want. Don't worry about Blue Flutes or whatever.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Ive got a question.. my brother is trying to get the hoenn starter pokemon but steven stone isnt in silph co in saffron city... he has already beaten red so why isnt he there? Is there something he needs to do b4 he gets the starter?

Edit- Nvm he found him somewhere else (forgot where) and steven stone said something about latias... so now he is getting the starter :)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Ive got a question...... just say i have a lv.100 mewtwo as my lead and it is holding a lucky egg and then i have a slowbro with a exp. share on it. Since mewtwo isnt getting any exp. since its lv.100 already then does the lucky eggs extra exp. go to slowbro?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
No. The Lucky Egg only increases the exp gained for the poke holding it, not the total earned by all.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Well I have gen3 (ruby). I don't think lucky egg is in that, and I'm trying to level a Gyarados so he can learn ice fang. I spent a lot of money via daycare ( but mainly Flannery taking like 10k pokecash >=X ... ) So there's not a lot of things I can buy in that game right now. (I have 5000 p, and I've beaten all the trainers that I can access, so the only way to get it would be either to sell everything I have, beat Flannery, or run around in Falabor till I get like ten blue flutes.)
gen3 ice fang.
*facepalms*

Are there any rapid spinners in ubers?

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Forretress is the only good one (don't try using Tentacruel, it sucks. Starmie's more viable but not strong enough.)

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I've been wondering:

Is there any difference in the happiness and beauty increase provided by the Haircut Brothers in the Goldenrod Tunnel?

Top Bottom