• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Crimson King merged the original Q & A Thread with the GTS Thread, and it's really confusing as to why he did it, so I asked Spire to make a new Q & A Thread, so here we are.

Professor Oak's Lab: The NEW Question and Answer Thread

In a nutshell Pokeball, if you have any questions pertaining to Pokemon, whether it be breeding, battling, or just Pokemon in general, ask it here. We, the Pokemon Center community will try to answer your question as best as possible!
This also helps out with removing spam 1-question threads.

Remember, all global forum rules apply!

-Terywj

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's hilariously lime green.

I have a question though, since I'm not a Pokémon guru:
What is the best way to use Smeargle? I've been fascinated with it recently and with HG/SS just around the corner, I think I'd like to really work on raising an awesome Smeargle.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I love Smeargle's Smogon page. Last and third-to-last sets are exactly the same.

Terrador14

Smash Apprentice
All right. Serious business question here: How would one best go about setting up a DDGyara sweep? I know that you'll need to lure out things like ScarfGar and eliminate them, as well as severely denting Bulky Waters (Toxic Spikes for the win). Anything I'm neglecting here?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lots of fast stuff ruin your day (ScarfGar, ScarfLatias, Scarf Rotom, Timid Starmie). Stealth Rocks are a pain in the really long neck. Skarmory and Forretress wall you. Celebi. Bulky waters. Entry hazard support, of course.

Teammates might consist of Starmie (Timid LO with Rapid Spin), Scizor (scares the **** out of Celebi and Gengar, Rotom, and and Latias who are locked onto unfortunate attacks). You might want something to lure out Gengar, Rotom, and Latias; try a defensive Roaring Latias, who can scout your opponent's team, and hopefully be sacrificed for the sake of trapping Gengar / Latias / Rotom. SpecsJolt and MixVire are classic Gyarados teammates because of their abilities. SpecsJolt with HP Grass kills lots of bulky waters.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
HeaTrap or Life Orb Heatran with good prediction can take out Bulky Waters along with Celebi. Tyranitar can work for the Scarf Pokemon as long as Gyarados uses Leftovers. Starmie's a pain, so your best option is to run Jolly. Forry can be used more defensively for both Spikes and Rapid Spin (Toxic Spikes not so much, as Gyara only needs 1 turn of setup).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol so I'm a noob who's thinking of making up a team and starting to play competivly, I was wondering if you guys know any good builds for a ninetails?

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
Ninetails isn't really something to build a team around, it's something you put on your team because you love Ninetails.

If you're just starting out, www.smogon.com is the place you go to learn the basics. Then, slap together a team of your favorite pokemon, and get pwned a few times. (This will happen no matter what you do, don't worry about it.) Learn from your mistakes, emulate good strategies, make a few awesome gimmic teams that win twice before people catch on (mean look baton pass to acupuncture shuckle FTW!) and generally have a blast.

Then, you'll have a good idea about what the hell you're doing, and you can start focusing on winning rather then just having super awesome crazy fun time with your choice scarf metronome team.

Or not. I'm kind of a fan of choice scarf metronome teams.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ninetales preferrably works best in the lower tiers, using Hypnosis to render opponent's useless while being able to stat-up at a moment's notice thanks to Nasty Plot.

Being a Fire-type with Energy Ball is also extremely useful.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
To answer the freaking question:

Ninetales @ Life Orb | Flash Fire
Timid / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Energy Ball
Hypnosis / HP Rock / HP Water / HP Ice

Switch into a Fire-type attack, boosting Fire Blast's power. Use Hypnosis if you have it. If not, use Nasty Plot. From there, use your attacks to hit stuff. Fire Blast gets STAB. Energy Ball hits Water-types. HP Rock and Water hit Fire-types. HP Water means you have trouble with Gyarados, Mantine, and Dragons, but you hits pretty much everything else. HP Rock is kind of a bad typing in that it doesn't do you much aside from hitting Fire-type Pokemon. HP Ice hits Dragons, and is recommended in OU.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Is Technician applied before or after other attack power multipliers?

For instance, say I have an Umbreon using Assurance. If the opponent hasn't been hurt that turn, the move has 50 power, which is under the limit for Technician. But with STAB it has 75 power. Also what if they've been hit that turn? Does that multiplier apply before Technician checks move power?

Thanks in advance.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok cool thanks guys I've got some ideas now, and I wasnt building the team around ninetails, I just like the pokemon, and wanted to make a team with all first generation and throw in a few underused pokemon to try and blindside people, we'll see how it works out

"Then, slap together a team of your favorite pokemon, and get pwned a few times. (This will happen no matter what you do, don't worry about it.) Learn from your mistakes, emulate good strategies, make a few awesome gimmic teams that win twice before people catch on (mean look baton pass to acupuncture shuckle FTW!) and generally have a blast. " this pretty much sums up stuff for me.

WouW

Smash Lord
Is Technician applied before or after other attack power multipliers?

For instance, say I have an Umbreon using Assurance. If the opponent hasn't been hurt that turn, the move has 50 power, which is under the limit for Technician. But with STAB it has 75 power. Also what if they've been hit that turn? Does that multiplier apply before Technician checks move power?

Thanks in advance.
Technician doesn't take STAB or any other damage boosts into account, with the only exceptions being moves that change their base power depending on the situation (e.g. Pursuit, Payback, Punishment), which ignore Technician if they exceed the limit.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Technician doesn't take STAB or any other damage boosts into account, with the only exceptions being moves that change their base power depending on the situation (e.g. Pursuit, Payback, Punishment), which ignore Technician if they exceed the limit.
Ok, thanks.

ok cool thanks guys I've got some ideas now, and I wasnt building the team around ninetails, I just like the pokemon, and wanted to make a team with all first generation and throw in a few underused pokemon to try and blindside people, we'll see how it works out

"Then, slap together a team of your favorite pokemon, and get pwned a few times. (This will happen no matter what you do, don't worry about it.) Learn from your mistakes, emulate good strategies, make a few awesome gimmic teams that win twice before people catch on (mean look baton pass to acupuncture shuckle FTW!) and generally have a blast. " this pretty much sums up stuff for me.
You can find good pokemon sets here: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

Here's some Ninetails ones: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ninetales

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Depends on what you find more troublesome to the team. Thick Fat Miltank enjoys Arcanine, Moltres, etc. but Scrappy gives "better" coverage thanks to hitting Spiritomb with Return or whatnot.

-Terywj

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If you're using the Body Slam for creating paralysis, then Scrappy. If it's just meant to tank through hits though, then Thick Fat. I personally always use Scrappy, but I also prefer to never have to predict a Ghost switch-in or waste an extra slot just to hit ghosts.

I know it's a lame 1,000th post, but imo there's nothing better than helping someone? :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Theoretically, -SpD should be better because of this mainly physical Metagame. Also helps because Priority is physical 99% of the time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Unemployment here is really bad >_>. Though a publix is opening in May and I'm applying to go ahead and get the job next weekend I think. (I'm 17 though, so I really need it >.>)
Anyways, I have a question. Is Zapdos really a good Defensive Pokemon? I downloaded Shoddy to test out the first three teams, though I d/ced a lot because I got some weird Trojan from something. Eventually I got it running and the teams worked out really well =D. I didn't want to spend weeks of breeding for bad ideas XD. Anyways, I'm on Glutton now which is the worst of the seven, it's impossible to really apply this, bar things like Blissy and maybe Forretress(sp). Anyways, I just wanted to know if Zapdos really works defensively, smogon says it can, but they also say Articuno can do a good job being a defensive pokemon <_>

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Zapdos has basically every tool that a defensive Pokemon could want at its disposal; solid defenses, great typing, respectable speed (that's a big one, despite what you may think), an offensive stat that doesn't make it a sitting duck when taunted, a defensive Ability, instant heal, phazing capabilities, support options...

There's more, but I think you get the point. Zapdos is straight-up good as a defensive Pokemon. Along with all this though, Zapdos also has a bit of unpredictability behind it. Its movepool is vast enough and its stats are all-around good enough to let it run almost any type of set it wants; and do it well. This makes Zapdos harder to counter than a lot of other Pokemon because it doesn't make out as a one-trick pony. It can run vastly different sets, and I don't believe there are many things that can counter every set Zapdos can run.

Articuno has better defensive stats than Zapdos, but it got ****ed over by typing and, to some extent, movepool. And I do believe Smogon said something like 'with appropriate support'? This basically means that it works well, but there's some stuff you need to make happen before it can do so. And Articuno just happens to need too much before it can work well in OU.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
erm is there a place to discuss teams? Im not talking about a team rating, but a place to ask for ideas for my team. Im making a team and could use some suggestions. More will be put in as soon as I figure out where to put this.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Smogon said Articuno is a good defensive Pokemon? Sauce, please.

Real men use Timid Metal Sound Zapdos.

Top Bottom