• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
(Hopefully this is the right place to post this).

I am completely new to competitive battling, but I am looking forward to making a competitive team. Without much forethought, I maxed the IVs (aside from Sp. Attack) of a Sneasel with Jolly nature. He knows Icicle Crash, Ice Shard, Knock Off, and Low Kick, and is holding a Life Orb (his ability is Keen Eye, which I guess is alright because Icicle Crash has a 90% accuracy). Lastly, I EV trained him, 252 Attack and Speed, 4 Defense.

I really like this Sneasel, and want to run a team with him. Because I know nothing about how to use Pokémon together (as I usually just throw six random Pokémon into a team), I need some help. Some Pokémon I am interested in are Espeon, Mismagius, and Zangoose, but I am not sure if they work well together. Maybe Espeon could use Substitute and Calm Mind, then Baton Pass that to Mismagius? And how about a Toxic Boost Zangoose?

Please help me build a team that works well together. Any advice is appreciated. Your explaination does not have to be elaborate, merely just some suggestions. (:

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
(Hopefully this is the right place to post this).

I am completely new to competitive battling, but I am looking forward to making a competitive team. Without much forethought, I maxed the IVs (aside from Sp. Attack) of a Sneasel with Jolly nature. He knows Icicle Crash, Ice Shard, Knock Off, and Low Kick, and is holding a Life Orb (his ability is Keen Eye, which I guess is alright because Icicle Crash has a 90% accuracy). Lastly, I EV trained him, 252 Attack and Speed, 4 Defense.

I really like this Sneasel, and want to run a team with him. Because I know nothing about how to use Pokémon together (as I usually just throw six random Pokémon into a team), I need some help. Some Pokémon I am interested in are Espeon, Mismagius, and Zangoose, but I am not sure if they work well together. Maybe Espeon could use Substitute and Calm Mind, then Baton Pass that to Mismagius? And how about a Toxic Boost Zangoose?

Please help me build a team that works well together. Any advice is appreciated. Your explaination does not have to be elaborate, merely just some suggestions. (:
Keen eye isn't really helpful in the competitive scene. Keen Eye prevents accuracy lose and ignores the opponents evasion increases. You won't find many players using moves that will be lowering your accuracy or increasing their own evasion with Double team and Minimize banned. everything else is fine. though are you going to evolve Sneasel into Weavile or keep it as is?

they can work but I'd recommend some bulky pokemon in the mix to help..
for the ones you mentioned I'd suggest..
Espeon @ Leftovers
Magic Bounce
252 HP / 130 Def or Sp Def / 126 other defense (Just a personal Preference :lol:)
Bold/Calm
Substitute / Protect / Wish
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Psychic / Psyshock / Wish

Magic Bounce keeps Taunt off Espeon and lets it setup with Calm Mind. Subs or Protect as Subs will take HP away from Espeon while Protect will let Espeon recover from damage though Subs can be passed through Baton Pass and protect Mismagius from entry..

Mismagius @ Focus Sash / Choice scarf / Leftovers
Levitate
252 Speed / 252 Sp atk / 4 HP, Def, or Sp Def
Timid / Modest (if Scarfed)
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt / Thunder
Hidden Power (ice/Fire if Possible) / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Power Gem / Psychic
Will-o-Wisp / above move if Scarfed

Mismagius can use a choice scarf but it'll be restricted to one move. If you want to keep it's arsenal open for other pokemon you could give it a leftovers, or a Focus Sash for physical pokemon. though a scarf will come in handy in some situations where you need more speed to take down a threat usually another scarf user.. if you choose to not use a scarf then Will-o-Wisp is heavily recommended.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Toxic Boost
252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP, Def, or Sp Def
Adamant / Jolly
Facade
Protect / Swords Dance
Quick Attack
Night Slash

Protect or Swords dance first turn so the Toxic orb can poison Zangoose Facade does Double damage and with Toxic boost it'll deal even more damage. Quick attack for priority and Night Slash for ghost types.

for the other two I'd recommend at least one of them be bulky as mentioned above. Defense preferably since Calm Mind will help with Special Defense.. Defense isn't the strongest suit of the four above.. Skarmory could work as a setup with Stealth Rock, and/or Spikes with Drill Peck/ Brave Bird and Roost with Rocky Helmet. The 6th is your choice though I'd go for some type coverage like Fire, or Fighting :p

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Keen eye isn't really helpful in the competitive scene. Keen Eye prevents accuracy lose and ignores the opponents evasion increases. You won't find many players using moves that will be lowering your accuracy or increasing their own evasion with Double team and Minimize banned. everything else is fine. though are you going to evolve Sneasel into Weavile or keep it as is?

they can work but I'd recommend some bulky pokemon in the mix to help..
for the ones you mentioned I'd suggest..
Espeon @ Leftovers
Magic Bounce
252 HP / 130 Def or Sp Def / 126 other defense (Just a personal Preference :lol:)
Bold/Calm
Substitute / Protect / Wish
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Psychic / Psyshock / Wish

Magic Bounce keeps Taunt off Espeon and lets it setup with Calm Mind. Subs or Protect as Subs will take HP away from Espeon while Protect will let Espeon recover from damage though Subs can be passed through Baton Pass and protect Mismagius from entry..

Mismagius @ Focus Sash / Choice scarf / Leftovers
Levitate
252 Speed / 252 Sp atk / 4 HP, Def, or Sp Def
Timid / Modest (if Scarfed)
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt / Thunder
Hidden Power (ice/Fire if Possible) / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Power Gem / Psychic
Will-o-Wisp / above move if Scarfed

Mismagius can use a choice scarf but it'll be restricted to one move. If you want to keep it's arsenal open for other pokemon you could give it a leftovers, or a Focus Sash for physical pokemon. though a scarf will come in handy in some situations where you need more speed to take down a threat usually another scarf user.. if you choose to not use a scarf then Will-o-Wisp is heavily recommended.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Toxic Boost
252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP, Def, or Sp Def
Adamant / Jolly
Facade
Protect / Swords Dance
Quick Attack
Night Slash

Protect or Swords dance first turn so the Toxic orb can poison Zangoose Facade does Double damage and with Toxic boost it'll deal even more damage. Quick attack for priority and Night Slash for ghost types.

for the other two I'd recommend at least one of them be bulky as mentioned above. Defense preferably since Calm Mind will help with Special Defense.. Defense isn't the strongest suit of the four above.. Skarmory could work as a setup with Stealth Rock, and/or Spikes with Drill Peck/ Brave Bird and Roost with Rocky Helmet. The 6th is your choice though I'd go for some type coverage like Fire, or Fighting :p
Thank you so so so much, this is extremely helpful. I will be evolving Weavile, and definitely take all your information into account. Thanks again!

Top Bottom