• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I use a really bootlegged method of gathering a bunch of EV Wings (Swift Wing, Genius Wing, etc.) along with EV-reducing berries (Kelpsy Berry, Tamato Berry, etc.) and constant save/Soft-Resetting use to record my data. Only works for Gen V, obviously. It goes as follows:

1) Tally how many of each item you have before and after saving/resetting. It's important you don't make errors, or else your numbers will be off.

2) Depends on whether or not your Pokemon already has EVs maxed out, in which case you'll do the latter before the former.

2.a - If your Pokemon hasn't reached the limit on EVs, or if it's fresh/sitting at 0 before training, see how many Wings of a particular stat it can consume before being maxed out. Say your Pokemon has 110 EVs invested in Attack AND NOTHING ELSE, you should in theory be able to give it 145 Muscle Wings before the message "It won't have any effect." started showing, which indicates that stat has the max amount of EVs invested in it. Keep in mind you'll want to stop at 252 at the most, so subtract 3 from whatever the final number of wings used is, and that's how many more EVs you'd need to invest to have the max.

2.b - If your Pokemon already has EVs invested in other stats, if it's been used mostly in-game for example, then use the EV-reduction berries to make every other stat 0. Naturally you don't have to keep it that way, which is why I save/soft reset for preferably thinking things over before I go through with a decision. After that, the process is pretty much the same as the above: See how many EV Wings you can give it before the stat is maxed out to know how many it has total.

3) Count up how many EV wings you used total, then subtract it from the number you had before starting this whole convoluted process. The total number of EVs possible for a single stat (255) - the total number of EV wings used = the amount of EVs your Pokemon has invested in that stat.

I realize all of this seems tedious (especially getting that many EV Wings/Berries), but it's the only way I've found to get EVs conclusively.
I've actually offered to do this for other players before so they can get conclusive numbers, and would be glad to help anyone interested.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I wish the process weren't so tedious, it'd be great to know if I'd be capable of entering some sort of tournament and taking a set or two off of some players.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Your Espeon might not outspeed Infernape. Your Tyranitar might not be able to OHKO Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. However, at low levels of play, EVs aren't a huge deal, you can work around it. It's mostly reading your opponent. Know what moves they might have, what sets they might run, and outpredicting and outplaying them.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
This may not be the place, but is anyone else incredibly let down/frustrated with Gamefreak about the whole MegaPokemon ****? I mean, it seems like a lot of people are on board with it, but all I see is gimmicky, game breaking digimon crap.

I'll probably still get the game, but still

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
no, everyone else on the entire planet absolutely loves this idea, just you

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's a children's game

They're going to add dumb things that make children happy

That's the end of that

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This may not be the place, but is anyone else incredibly let down/frustrated with Gamefreak about the whole MegaPokemon ****? I mean, it seems like a lot of people are on board with it, but all I see is gimmicky, game breaking digimon crap.

I'll probably still get the game, but still
This thread is more for questions that have an actual answer or some sort of solution. Asking if people agree with you essentially falls under discussion, which is best left in a thread like the specific X and Y thread. If you have a huge urge to discuss this issue alone, you can create a new thread specifically regarding MegaEvolutions.

(Then again, if you really want to keep discussing it here I don't care, but if you're looking for the "right place," this isn't really it.)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
General exists now Firus

that'd be the right place

either that or xy thread but it's better to not **** that up

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
General exists now Firus

that'd be the right place

either that or xy thread but it's better to not **** that up
Well, yeah, that works too. But since we're not exactly overwhelmed with threads (we have what, three active threads, plus stickies?), an individual thread to discuss that mechanic wouldn't really be a big deal.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does anyone know if we'll be able to play 6 pkmn vs 6 pkmn in random singles in x/y?

The way it is in b/w completely sux.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Not sure if I can ask about spin-off games in this thread, but am I able to rematch legendary Pokemon in Pokemon Conquest?

Never mind: I already had what I thought was missing. However, I'd like to know how hard it is to find Starly on Route 11 in X. Pokearth says it should be in hoards, but I have not encountered a single one after about an hour of using Sweet Scent in the area...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
However, I'd like to know how hard it is to find Starly on Route 11 in X. Pokearth says it should be in hoards, but I have not encountered a single one after about an hour of using Sweet Scent in the area...
While I don't the actual rates for these things, I can say that I've only encountered one rare horde (Id imagine that Starly is the rare horde for route 11) while EV training over the course of a couple hours. The rate seems to be really low. Either that, or you and I both unlucky.

Also for what it's worth, questions about spin-offs are totally okay. We're less likely to have an answer though, all things considered.

Vegito, do you mean you're wondering if you can transfer from Gen IV to Gen VI? Or do you mean perfect IV Pokemon? I'm confused by your wording.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yea, I need my Pokémon from Pearl over to my Y.
Yay! My initial thought was correct.

You would need to use the Poke Transfer thing that's in the Gen V games to transfer from IV to V, and then from there you'd just need to wait around until Pokebank is finally released. Until then, there's no possible way.

I really wish they could somehow figure out a way to transfer that doesn't require a person to own at least one game from every generation between those generations in order to do it. Like, it's theoretically possible to transfer from Gen III to Gen VI, but it requires you to have a DS or DSLite, a copy of DPPt, and a copy of BW or BW2 as additional things in order to get there.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Yay! My initial thought was correct.

You would need to use the Poke Transfer thing that's in the Gen V games to transfer from IV to V, and then from there you'd just need to wait around until Pokebank is finally released. Until then, there's no possible way.

I really wish they could somehow figure out a way to transfer that doesn't require a person to own at least one game from every generation between those generations in order to do it. Like, it's theoretically possible to transfer from Gen III to Gen VI, but it requires you to have a DS or DSLite, a copy of DPPt, and a copy of BW or BW2 as additional things in order to get there.
So, I have to buy BW2 in order to get my Pokémon over.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You could in theory just ask someone to trade over Gen IV, then they could upload them to V and then VI.

I'd be glad to do this for anyone that can't be bothered, in addition to getting specific Move Tutor moves on certain Pokemon.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
They stand for Individual Values (stats determined when the Pokemon is obtained that determine its overall potential) and Effort Values (the training you can do to further their stats, either by KOing Pokemon, items or via Super Training).

IVs are for each of the 6 stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed), and are a number between 0 (worst) to 31 (best), but can't be changed at all. They can be influenced and passed down by breeding. The Evaluation Judge in Kiloude City will tell you what your Pokemon's best IV in which stat (or stats, if more than one) is, as well as describe how great the sum of all the IVs added up are (he'll say they have ___ potential, decent being the lowest, outstanding being the highest).

EVs are the points a Pokemon earns from various methods, from KOing wild Pokemon (depending on what Pokemon, they give "Effort Points" usually based on their best stat. Ex: Graveler gives 2 Defense Effort Value points when KO'd). The basic EV formula is that for every 4 points you accumulate in a single stat, the Pokemon gets +1 to the respective stat. The maximum amount of EVs for any Pokemon is 510 total points, with the cap for any individual stat being 255 (rounded down to 252, since that's divisible by 4). You can see the total amount of Effort Points on the Super Training menu screen, and you'll get a message in the top right corner when they have fully maxed out their training. In addition to the above, items like Protein and Swift Wings, as well as certain berries and Juice Drinks can increase or decrease the EV total amount.

I suggest you take Wave's cue and look them up on a site like Serebii to get a better in-depth understanding.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Posting to subscribe.

Thats cool how theyve adjusted it down to 252, always thought it was weird that they'd have more than you could use.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If the region of my 3DS is one country, but I move to a country of a different language, would I still be able to download Wi-Fi Mystery Gifts? As far as I know, Mystery Gifts are region locked, so I wouldn't have access to store events. However, I do not know if the 3DS or game detects what region you are using Wi-Fi from...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It should, your internet has an IP.
But I don't know how Nintendo/3DS/Pokémon manages that, so, I am not sure.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I figured that much, but I meant:
I have a US 3DS and can get US events. Will I be able to get US events using Wi-Fi in Japan or Europe, or will it detect that I'm using Wi-Fi from a different country and not allow me to download the US event?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You'll get the US event. I've gotten JP events with JP cards in the US.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
for those that I've used: unburden Hawlucha can sweep with High Jump Kick, and Acrobatics. it's a good idea to fling a King's rock for a guaranteed flinch with a Jolly nature it can reach 187 speed, and DD Charizard X (watch for rocks), (m) garchomp regular form can be used as well..

Top Bottom