• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I was curious about that as well.

What if you switch into Stealth Rocks?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Quick question.. where do i find heart scales at? I need them for my deoxys and mewtwo to relearn some of there moves.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Quick question.. where do i find heart scales at? I need them for my deoxys and mewtwo to relearn some of there moves.
In hgss, you have to break rocks, usually for like two hours just to find one.
better alternative, trade to d/p/pt and relearn stuff there >.>

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Maybe it works then too?
It fits the description.
That's what I guessed, what with people saying how they switch in Donphan and use Assurance right off the bat to OHKO Rotom. I don't think I non-boosted Assurance would OHKO...

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick question as well.

I'm trying to get all the phone numbers of all the Gym Leaders. Desite the fact it's past noon here, I still can't find Brock in Diglett Cave. Now, it never specified if I needed 16 badges or not, do I need that last one or should he be there already?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If you dont have brocks badge he wont be there. Beat him and then hell be there.

How does Piloswine learn ancient power? Bulbapedia says at start hell have it... what does that mean? I just evolved swinub and the option didnt pop up... or do I have to go to the move relearner?

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I need a favor/answer.
After being anointed a PR, I realized my only functional knowledge is UU. I need to know a real brief understanding of todays OU metagame because I really don't Timbuktu about any common things (except Scizor of course). Thanks, I appreciate it.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
If you dont have brocks badge he wont be there. Beat him and then hell be there.
I have his badge. Actually, I have all 16 badges. For some reason, both him and Misty won't appear. That's why i'm asking. Now, for Misty I want to believe it's because Suicune is still on Route 25 (for some odd reason) but for Brock I have no idea.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If brock isnt there at that point then you probably havent defeated red. I found him just today (btw thanks foe the brock alert :)) and I have to wait for Saturday now.

If that all doesnt work then your game has to be glitched or youre not looking in the right place.

btw, when do clefairy appear at the top of mt. moon?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
It depends on what the species of the pokemon inside is. For legal eggs, it ranges from 1275 to 10455 steps. The number of steps required can be reduced if you have a pokemon with the ability Magma Armor or Flame Body while you're carrying the egg.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I've been in and out of competitive Pokémon on Shoddy for a while, and I find myself relying too much on pre-made sets from here or Smogon. I understand what EVs and IVs do, but I don't know exactly how to go about using them.

To all of you experienced players, when you first started, how did you get to to the point where you didn't need any help and you could just create Pokémon (on Shoddy or elsewhere) without any help?

Pokémon really interests me, but I don't feel like I know as much as I can, and despite reading countless guides and such on here, I just don't get a lot of things. I know all of the roles, etc. but it's hard for me to be able to put everything together into a team.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well it's kinda to the choosing of the player. I mean, almost anybody can creare gimmick sets right off the top of their head (lolSpecsGyara) but if you're talking about genuine unique sets then it really comes down to how confident/comfortable you are with straying away from what you know / making sets. Make something up, test it out in battles, see what's wrong, and keep tweaking it to adjust to it's flaws.

That's what I do, anyway.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I just spend forever and a day theorymonning and doing endless calcs to get to making my own unique set. You normally really want to stick with Smogon sets but if you really know that theres something a Pokemon that can do that will help out your team better, well, THEN DO IT.

For example, I really didn't like the LeadTar on Smogon. It just wasn't helping out my team as much as it could.
So.......

I made this:
Tyranitar@Focus Sash
Jolly/Sand Stream
16 HP/252 Atk/208 Spd/32 SDef
Stealth Rock
Crunch
Earthquake
Sleep Talk

I pretty much spent an hour or two theorymonning and calcing to even make this with over 4 years of competative Pokemon experience under my belt. Pokemon is something you really got to learn to understand in full and really get how to do things. I normally only use Smogon sets, but things like this are a few exceptions.

You just have to keep on marching. Eventually you'll learn from your mistakes and get to a point where you can work these sort of things out.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey guys i was just now thinking of some very good stratagys and i thougt back on what i used to use and i used to use paraflinch togakiss a lot. Now i have a question though... if i put razer fang or kings rock on it then does that make every move have 10% more flinch or is it just certain moves?

Now if it is every move then on a togakiss what do yal think should be the attacks?

I know t-wave, air slash, roost but for the last slot i cant choose between nasty plot, sub, aura sphere.

Im more for the aura sphere that way i cant be walled by steels and rocks.

So with serene grace+air slash+t-wave+kings rock/razer fang that would be a paraflinch% to like over 90% with just flinching and then it still has the chance of getting paralyzed.

So if you know if kings rock/razer fang works on every move please tell me.

Thanks ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
But wait... doesnt it make the move flinch 10% more? If it does then i would rather use that so that way i can easily paraflinch.

Despite if you think the item is useless.. does it still flinch 10% of the time?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
King's Rock and Razor Fang are useful to such a small degree that it is virtually the same as having no item.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
60 -> 64% chance of flinch.
OOOOOR
0% -> 6.25% recovery a turn.

Pretty obvious choice.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
He just wanted to know if it did what he thought it did. :ohwell:
No, he posted that he'd use King's Rock on his Togekiss to acheive "over 90% flinch rate" or something.

Also, boo at not being able to post in the SmashCAP thread.
I posted in the thread. Hopefully I can get things ironed out. I am the leader of these projects after all.

-Terywj

HotWings

Smash Ace
I just wanted to know if it did help flinch hax any. It says it has a 10% chance of flinching on smogon and serebii so how are you saying it only gives a 4% boost?

Top Bottom