• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I got a question. When you cannot feed any more vitamins to your pokemon, does that mean it has already maxed out its EVs and IVs?

I've been meaning to ask this ever since my solo run with Horsea.

:mad:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It means either A its maxed out or B you've given 10 of that vitamin the the Pokemon.

Probably B, in most cases.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I hadn't given it any vitamins.

I either got a glitched Horsea or its IVs and EVs came out maxed the at the time I caught it which is highly

:mad:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
EV's can't be existing if you find something in the wild.

Not that I know of. Vitamins stop working after 10 doses because each gives 10 EV's of their respective stat, capping at 100 total.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Also, you can't max out IVs by doing anything after you see the Pokemon.

:V

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hey, I'm pretty new to competitive pokemon and I don't really know what's really necessary when it comes to making a team. What should I be looking for?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
So basically: A lead pokemon to set-up stuff like Stealth Rock; a pokemon with high SPDefense; a Pokemon with High Defense; A pokemon with High Attack Power; A pokemon with High SP Attack Power.

But what does the trapper really do?

Edit: I read c3gill's thread, it helped me.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It means either A its maxed out or B you've given 10 of that vitamin the the Pokemon.

Probably B, in most cases.
EV's can't be existing if you find something in the wild.

Not that I know of. Vitamins stop working after 10 doses because each gives 10 EV's of their respective stat, capping at 100 total.

-Terywj
You guys make me facepalm.

UltiMario was right on his A, but his B was wrong. Vitamins stop working once you acquire 100 EVs in that respective stat. Not just with vitamins, but period. That's why it's always suggested that when you EV train something, you give it the vitamins first. Because they don't work later on.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lead, Walls, Sweepers, maybe a Trapper...
So basically: A lead pokemon to set-up stuff like Stealth Rock; a pokemon with high SPDefense; a Pokemon with High Defense; A pokemon with High Attack Power; A pokemon with High SP Attack Power.

But what does the trapper really do?

Edit: I read c3gill's thread, it helped me.
No.

Trappers are rarely used in the OU metagame.

You don't "need" a lead, you have one regardless of your team.

You don't need walls or "sweepers". Six sweepers characterizes a team called Hyper Offense, where you use prediction and sacrifices to take out troublesome opponents to open up a final sweep. They often use so-called "wall-breakers" who deal heavy damage to common defensive Pokemon.

Six walls characterizes a playstyle called Stall, where you use residual damage (sandstorm, Toxic, Burns) and entry hazards (Stealth Rocks, Toxic Spikes, Spikes) to slowly wear down your opponent with defensive Pokemon.

Bulky Offense combines the two, though it is more of the former. It utilizes offensive Pokemon who are also sturdy defensively.

A standard balanced team has two or three walls, two or three offensive Pokemon (NOT sweepers), and one or two support Pokemon.

Basically, you need to think about how you play. Aggressive or passive?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Silly question time! Let's use Piplup as an example. If you nickname PIPLUP to PIPLUP, what happens when it evolves, does it retain the same nickname?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Anyone care to point me to the direction of a site full of gameshark codes? I want a code that allows you to find any pokemon in the wild in Pokemon Emerald and I want to be able to choose the level.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
yes

10chars
It doesn't do that for me. I named Scyther 116 (one I kept) and then changed to Scyther..it evolved, it was Scizor.

Anyone care to point me to the direction of a site full of gameshark codes? I want a code that allows you to find any pokemon in the wild in Pokemon Emerald and I want to be able to choose the level.
Cheater!!! <.<

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It was 116 (I was breeding), named it Scyther, then evolved and it was Scizor. Did the same with Gastly, Charmander, and several others. It's never done that too me.

Edit: I know Shoddy is more serious, but does anyone know anywhere I can battle wifi and it's somewhat serious? I'd like to not use Serebii anymore.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I thought they only did Shoddy. Hm, guess I'll go there. It's really going to stink that Raikou is leaving UU for reasons that won't affect wifi, lol. They should make wifi tiers. XD Thanks

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
no, there's a wifi scene at smogon because they are the people that will breed insane pokemon and then use them really well

edit: I just found out about this section of swf...even though i've been here 2 years <_<, how does one become a pokemon researcher?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Doubles battles!!!!

Alright im sure a lot of you know that i used to play singles competitive and i was actually pretty good (not godly but pretty decent) But now ive moved on from that and i now am a breeder :)

Well as a breeder i always look back on all the fun and epic battles and tournaments i have went to so i kinda want to get back into the competitive pokemon battles but this time not in singles/certain tiers. This time i want to make a whole new step in pokemon and do double battles!!!

Well seeing as how i only know a lot about singles i am guessing doubles is a whole new ball game. So i was looking but some pokemon that worked well together but i know these couldnt all be in the same team so can someone maybe help me out with some tips i would need to know.

The only partners i know of that work very well together are these...

Ryperior and Gyrados= ryperior takes all the eletric attacks with lightning rod so i dont really have a big weakness besides rock which hardly anyone uses. Then ryperior dont have to worry about hitting his partner with EQ.

Another one is Electivier and jolteon= jolteon can use discharge and hit all the pokemon including electivier and give me a speed boost and i was thinking about electivier hitting jolteon to heal her but there isnt any point in that lol.

Vaporeon and lapras= very simple... both pokemon use surf and can hit all pokemon on the field including themselfs so they are both attacking and healing at the same time.

I could just go on and on with the things i just came up with but im not sure 100% how doubles work so i need some help.

Thanks for your time and i look forward to some tips pretty soon ;)

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Medicham+Slaking/Regigigas

Obvious. Medi will need a Focus Sash.

Thanks to the magic of XD, Electivire can learn Follow Me. Try that out.

Follow Me+Focus Punch is another classic.

Helping Hand can also be used to an extent.

Mewter

Smash Master
Yeah, you can.
And don't worry about saving after killing them when you defeat the Elite Four and never getting them back again. I tried it out myself and it works. :)

HotWings

Smash Ace
In HG/SS does anyone know of any other mystery gift pokemon besides latias/latios, mew and the yellow forest, if there is going to be any pokemon like jirachi, darkrai, celebi, ect. If what i named is the limit of HG/SS event pokemon from mystery gift then please tell me.

Thanks ;)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There's the Pichu (I forget if it's the notch eared or spiky eared or something like that).
The Arceus from a movie unlocks the choice of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

-Terywj

HotWings

Smash Ace
No i mean like when you select the option mystery gift and do the wifi events. Like right now there is the yellow forest that you can get for your pokewalker by the wifi mystery gift and you can get a pikachu that knows fly surf or volt tackle. Then later this year in november there is going to be an event for mystery gift that you can get a mew lv.5 which im so getting lol.

So i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was going to be any other event pokemon from mystery gift besides latias, latios, mew, pikachu?

Mewter

Smash Master
We may get Celebi if Nintendo is feeling generous.
It's been given out here, like what, once during third gen?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Just keep an eye on the updates on serebii since they never let us miss any event.

Alright i'll keep an eye open every so often and see if there are any events going on. I would really like to catch all the events that happen on mystery gift because i could have got all the ones in d/p but i didnt know anything about how mystery gift worked at that time.

Thanks for the advice btw ;)

Mewter

Smash Master
I don't think any world Wi-Fi events for the American DP were released at all so far, right?
It seems like Platinum was the only one to get Darkrai and Shaymin. :\

HotWings

Smash Ace
Oops when i said d/p i meant to say d/p/p. Oh and i think your right about platium being the only one with wifi events. Either way i could have got them but i didnt so oh well, i will soon have SS to get the event pokemon for me ;)

Top Bottom