• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Edit: lol ignore >.<

Edit2: I'll turn this into a useful post stop ignoring now.

Use a Flying Pikachu lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
who are the best trick room users?

how many of them should I have on a team?

who best uses trick room? I wanted a belly drum slowbro or glaceon but its whatever

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
From what I know, Bronzong is a great user of Trick Room, since it's great defenses are great. Porygon2 is also a bulky user of it.

I've personally never tried using a Trick Room team but I suppose having at least 2 would be in your better interest to have, considering it only lasts so many turns and there is no hold item to lengthen it.

-Terywj

S l o X

Smash Champion
I was gonna post something relating to Action Replay and it not working yesterday but SWF has really been ****ed up lately.

Would anyone be able to help me with it, if I wrote up a small paragraph? >_>

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
who are the best trick room users?
Uber: Dialga, Deoxys-D, Mew, Bronzong
OU: Jirachi, Bronzong, Dusknoir, Porygon2
UU: Claydol, Uxie, Slowbro
NU: Porygon2, Slowking, Exeggutor, Hypno, Gardevoir

how many of them should I have on a team?
Two or three.
who best uses trick room? I wanted a belly drum slowbro or glaceon but its whatever
Rampardos
Ursaring
Thick Club Marowak
Deepseatooth Clampearl
Rhyperior
Aggron
Machamp
Empoleon
Octillery
Medicham
Hariyama
Glaceon
Metagross
Tyranitar
Cleffa

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Porygon2 is NU, but functions well in OU due to Trace. It's not favored in UU because of bulkier options for Pokemon to setup Trick Room.

-Terywj

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Hey are you allowed to use hacked items in competitve battle?
If not if there was a code for the AR that gave you 999 Bp and you got them using that code and exchanging points is that allowed?
Also is a all eevee bation pass team good?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't see anything wrong with AR'ing BP just to get items. As long as you use real items over WiFi I'm sure it's fine.

Baton Pass in general is a pretty terrible concept. It's fun, and you might get lucky, but it's still pretty bad.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I haven't seen a good Baton Pass team since 3rd Gen.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what should a trick room jirachi have?

-wish
-cam mind?
-iron head?
-psychic
-stealth rocks?

sound good?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Jirachi shouldn't be using Trick Room period.

If you need a Steel/Psychic Trick Roomer go Zong.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
I don't see anything wrong with AR'ing BP just to get items. As long as you use real items over WiFi I'm sure it's fine.

Baton Pass in general is a pretty terrible concept. It's fun, and you might get lucky, but it's still pretty bad.

-Terywj
Okay thanks but what do you mean by "as long as you use real items?"

Oh and another question i have a really cool team idea can sombody list all the moves that forces your foe to switch? (including moves such as yawn)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Roar, Whirlwind.

No moves FORCE a switch other than that. You might Yawn a Sleep Talker, or Burn a Lum-Berry TTar (Or a Special TTar), or inflict Paralysis on a wall that is avoiding getting Toxic'd, a Pokemon may be running a Bulky or more-speed-that-usual EV spread to suprise you and withstand an attack they would normally switch on/outspeed you.

There are no moves that are garunteed to force switches bar those.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
In general stat down moves like Fake Tears, Metal Sound, and Screech will encourage the other guy to switch his pokemon out. Play it by ear and see what works.

Also I just love it when somebody thunder waves slowbro. It's not like he can get much slower!

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I'm not basing it on my tastes. The reason why I said that I have a Gengar that I never really liked was because I really don't like that specific Gengar. Has crappy moves and I only use it when i need to capture a roaming pokemon. It needs to have SOME practicallity in a team. I mean I don't want my team to be grade F pokemon like Dunsparce, but if someone suggests I'll most likely consider it unless I've already tried it out.

Also charmander, put a charmander in there for the love of god. You are obsessed with it and you haven't even considered it?

Or put a **** Scizor with Bullet Punch in there

/10inbeforeterysaysIdon'twannabegaybylearningbulletpunches
Charmander is too good for my team, he goes in an epic, already thought out team (my nu team)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Don't forget Rhyperior, Snorlax, and Eruption Heatran. ;)

-Terywj
I didn't forget Rhyperior, silly! Also, I didn't include Snorlax because he's kind of weak. And brainfart @ Quiet Heatrans.
Porygon2 is NU, but functions well in OU due to Trace. It's not favored in UU because of bulkier options for Pokemon to setup Trick Room.
Yep
Jirachi shouldn't be using Trick Room period.

If you need a Steel/Psychic Trick Roomer go Zong.
Jirachi has some merit with 252 HP / 252 Atk, 0 Speed IVs, Macho Brace, Iron Head, and U-Turn. But he's still not bulky enough to repeatedly set up Trick Rooms. He's kind of like Exeguttor. Sleep Powder, Trick Room, ka-boom.
In general stat down moves like Fake Tears, Metal Sound, and Screech will encourage the other guy to switch his pokemon out.
I like to call it pseudo-phazing, lol.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The problem with Roar and Whirlwind is their negative priority, meaning your opponent gets to use a move every turn. The problem with Haze and Mist is that they don't do **** unless your opponent has stat boosts.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Is there a place where i could get help building a team?
Like if its not done yet

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Depends. If you already built a team and want it rated you go to the RMT room.

If not... well you could just ask something like:

Should I put Trick Room on my Jirachi?

Or something like that

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Sheesh, considering he's been in the competitive business for years, I thought I would trust him on this one.

The arse was probably playing a prank on me or something :mad:

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Sheesh, considering he's been in the competitive business for years, I thought I would trust him on this one.

The arse was probably playing a prank on me or something :mad:
Most people put focus blast on a typhlosion, but it sucks.
Typhlosion is a sweeper, so it needs something more reliable.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
typhlosion can make good use of both. it's famous for eruption but coverage from focus blast could be nice in some cases as well.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Typhlosion doesn't really make good use of Focus Blast, his special movepool is just so freaking shallow that he doesn't have much of a choice.

boo13

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how using things aside from sweepers works. If you're facing someone with pure sweepers,won't they kill your's too fast for you to do the moves (powering up and baton passing). Thanks for the help.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't understand how using things aside from sweepers works. If you're facing someone with pure sweepers,won't they kill your's too fast for you to do the moves (powering up and baton passing). Thanks for the help.
Please repeat the question.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
He's asking about competitive play. Not sure if that is taboo here or something, but I'll answer his question anyways.

Well, Focus Sash works wonders to set up Stealth Rock, unless they have a priority move on their lead. And really, most people don't use Baton Pass anymore. It's a little outdated, and with Mist/Whirlwind/Roar out there, it can be hard to pull off correctly. As for stat boosters, most Pokemon who run these sets have at least a little bulk somewhere to help them pull off the moves, then maybe a priority move to hit fast. And really, a Bullet Punch from Life Orb SD Scizor is gonna kill just about anything, so it doesn't really matter if they can OHKO you if you do it first.

Barring that, pure sweepers are usually the fast, strong, fragile type, and can be beaten with good priority moves or even a bulky, resistant Pokemon, like Blissey (with Seismic Toss)against most Special sweepers.

Oh, and one of the best players out there uses a Stall team, made of a lot of bulky Pokemon.

Hope this helps a little.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Pretty much boo is asking why teams bar heavy offense work seeing as with Heavy Offense you should theoretically keep so much pressure on a team they couldn't really do much to you.

Which is COMPLETELY wrong lol.

Defensive Pokemon are there with the sole purpose of breaking up the momentum of heavy offense teams, and when you lose all your momentum, its just about over for a Heavy Offense team unless you get a crit or something to start up momentum again.

boo13

Smash Apprentice
Oh, okay. I see kind of. So if you have good walls, you can stop the attacking teams? Would you use poison or something and then send them out?

Basically, I need help beating my brother. He uses mostly uber sweepers with a few OU ones and I don't know how to beat it. He uses Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Latias, Garchomp, and Gengar. Their Ev's are all speed and sp. att/att. Idk their move set though.

Currently, I'm using Kingdra, Alakazam, Gengar, Rhyperior, Blissey, and Blastoise. I know a few of them are UU so which ones do you think I should replace and with what?

Also, can anyone explain to me how Shoddy works? Can you choose your own pokemon and give them whatever you want, or do you actually have to work for them?

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom