• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offline vs Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
A 14-year old from my region went to his first tournament like a month ago...though his parents WERE kinda strict, he had to go with a friend of an older brother's, and he only entered doubles because they didn't want him wasting money. And he's attending IMPULSE iirc (a national in june)

If he can find a way, so can you XD

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm 18 but hold on. Vinel had a good point. Start a a life of brawl here. Either way. I'm different... Let's just stop here. I'm gonna get some weird advice if I continue.

:phone:
I'm 14 right now and I go to tourneys regularly. And I started when I was 13 lol.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Maybe he doesn't have a car or a drivers license?

Not every guys parent is willing (or wanting) to cart them to a "silly" tournament (parent vision).

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I'm 14 right now and I go to tourneys regularly. And I started when I was 13 lol.
There's a difference man. I live in bakerfield. A small hot town. To get to tournaments. I'd have to travel for like 4hour to 6hour. I'm christian, and I respect what my parents tell me. I really wish I lived in places where brawl is alive. I also have school, and like 30 more days of school I will gradute, and then apply for college. My parents own a restruant, and It's hard work. So I help. Heck I do everything their. My parents are pretty old. ... So I wifi cause my life is busy. I'd go to a tournament right now, but yeah now you know.

Ps I let a bunch more stuff. This is just some stuff. Heck I'm doing something right now while I'm commenting to you're guys comments.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Maybe he doesn't have a car or a drivers license?

Not every guys parent is willing (or wanting) to cart them to a "silly" tournament (parent vision).
Go with a friend.

If he has no smasher friends and no way to get there, then it's not even his parents' faults that he can't go.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
There's a difference man. I live in bakerfield. A small hot town. To get to tournaments. I'd have to travel for like 4hour to 6hour. I'm christian, and I respect what my parents tell me. I really wish I lived in places where brawl is alive. I also have school, and like 30 more days of school I will gradute, and then apply for college. My parents own a restruant, and It's hard work. So I help. Heck I do everything their. My parents are pretty old. ... So I wifi cause my life is busy. I'd go to a tournament right now, but yeah now you know.

Ps I let a bunch more stuff. This is just some stuff. Heck I'm doing something right now while I'm commenting to you're guys comments.

Ok I see, didn't know you had such a busy life lol.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ditto. I work as a bather at my parents groom shop, and am still in school. No drivers licence yet. (One more week though)

My buddy cool enough to drive me too em though. I just pay off the gas cost~ =w=

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Ok I see, didn't know you had such a busy life lol.
Yeah... I don't like to talk about it, but you guys are decent people to talk to so what the heck.

I never told this to no one.

Btw: my cousin got shot):

EDIT: I'm no thung or gangster. I just have a family that does bad things to surrive in this world. Ya know?

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
That was my exact same situation except I play Melee so it was a lot harder for me until I went to an actual tournament, just go with a friend who can attend tournaments and tell your parents you're going to another friend's birthday party or the mall or an amusement park or some **** like that.
Sorry man didn't mean to miss your comment): You play mel(:
Oh man those memories, those amazing memories. Yeah I don't think it's rocket science to say that I play brawl like melele. With all that flash!

FFFFFFF DAMAMAMAMAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...<.< I'm gonna get banned from this rule <.< Ugg xD

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
This thread would be more viable and the poster would have more credibility if he were a bit more articulate and would bother to spell check. I agree with your sentiments, but your execution of said sentiments is poor.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
I really hope your not trolling me dude. Cause I suck on trolling. People just think I troll when honestly I have no idea how to troll xD

I hope there's more of you guys when I do enter the offline area's

Not everyone in the 'offline' scene is a jerk.

And to the point where you haven't been 'allowed' to go to a tournament -- Once you move out and live on your own, you can go to tourneys freely whenever you feel like it.

And I can relate to the 'there isn't a smash scene in my area'. For the longest time (throughout my highschool life, actually), there was nobody who played Smash seriously, but I still took the time to learn advanced techs (for Melee, mostly, since I wasn't too much of a fan of Brawl at the time).

When the time came for me to move out to attend college, I took that opportunity to check here and met most of the Smashers in my area (Eau Claire, WI) After a few weeks or so, the time came for me to attend my first tournament. I couldn't have been more excited or nervous. Of course I got owned hardcore, but I still took the experience as a whole and learned a lot from it. You may think you're good or even the best until you play someone at a tournament and get wrecked. I hadn't even won my first tournament set until my last tournament (IMDB 4 in Madison, WI) which I was excited about. It was also that same tournament where I had a very close set with Vino (an extremely skilled smasher, one of the best in the state), ending each match with a stock left.

Once you start attending tourneys, you'll get much better as a player. Take from someone's smash experience so far.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
And lol @ people tripping out at the fact that GYK is 18 and can't go. I realize that in the modern day, there's this idea that 18 = completely independent and parents mean next to nothing in what they say regarding you and your affairs but there are many of us who still bother to care about what our parents think. I'm 19 and my parents, while not really averse to the idea of me going to Smash tourneys, find them to be nonsensical events, riddled with geeks who have nothing better to do(wrong perception of course) so telling them that you'd like to attend is rather awkward at times.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
And lol @ people tripping out at the fact that GYK is 18 and can't go. I realize that in the modern day, there's this idea that 18 = completely independent and parents mean next to nothing in what they say regarding you and your affairs but there are many of us who still bother to care about what our parents think. I'm 19 and my parents, while not really averse to the idea of me going to Smash tourneys, find them to be nonsensical events, riddled with geeks who have nothing better to do(wrong perception of course) so telling them that you'd like to attend is rather awkward at times.
To be honest, you're never free until you move out. If your parents pay the bills, you better listen to them. If you pay the bills, it is all up to you. Just be smart about things, you know? But, 18 is generally the age that people are expected to grow up by. After high school graduation, your parents don't really need to do anything for you. They got you through school, taught you life lessons, and gave you the tools needed to thrive in society. So long as you are productive in life, parents won't really care since they know you'll be alright.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, you're never free until you move out. If your parents pay the bills, you better listen to them. If you pay the bills, it is all up to you. Just be smart about things, you know? But, 18 is generally the age that people are expected to grow up by. After high school graduation, your parents don't really need to do anything for you. They got you through school, taught you life lessons, and gave you the tools needed to thrive in society. So long as you are productive in life, parents won't really care since they know you'll be alright.

Yeah, I agree with this for the most part. It's usually the people who find the idea of someone 18+ living with their parents and conforming to their rules as outlandish, who rub me the wrong way. There's also a cultural/religious difference(I'm a Muslim, and the position of parents is a huge part of the faith), where the parent-child relationship is emphasized to a great degree(and it's something I completely agree with). I'd listen to what my parents would say even if I was the one paying the bills(studying right now), but that's just me.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Thank you someone understands xD

Look don't care this the wrong way PLEASE DON'T.

Some parents don't even care about ya. ... Harsh I know. Some just don't give a rats butt about ya, but mine are so over protective of me, yet I hate it, but I know that I got parents who love me, and want me safe. Not going with the gangs, and doing whatever the heck I want to do. Alll I'm saying is calm down all of you that want me to go to a tournament. I'm sure many are curious to meet me. Right back at ya. Either way thank's for being cool with me, and yes I will see if my friend would take me. Since my parents would never let me go alone lol.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, I agree with this for the most part. It's usually the people who find the idea of someone 18+ living with their parents and conforming to their rules as outlandish, who rub me the wrong way. There's also a cultural/religious difference(I'm a Muslim, and the position of parents is a huge part of the faith), where the parent-child relationship is emphasized to a great degree(and it's something I completely agree with). I'd listen to what my parents would say even if I was the one paying the bills(studying right now), but that's just me.
Well, I didn't mean that once you start paying the bills that you say f to the u to the parents and completely rebel, but by that point, you're an adult, and can think for yourself. Even though advice from the parental figure should be taken and held dearly, sometimes you gotta disagree with them on a thing or two and do what you think is right.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Well, I didn't mean that once you start paying the bills that you say f to the u to the parents and completely rebel, but by that point, you're an adult, and can think for yourself. Even though advice from the parental figure should be taken and held dearly, sometimes you gotta disagree with them on a thing or two and do what you think is right.
Lol dude xD it's a tournament. I really don't think it's that's important, but it is something I want to do badly. I understand that I'm a adult, and I have my choices that will benifit me or hurt me in my life. Seriously it's not that important. I always play offline, and will soon upload matches of my YOSHI. To give ya a taste of my Yoshi. Anyway thanks for the advice. I also didn't wanna even try coming to offline tournaments.
Because I thought you all were the same like aib.Had no heart, but ... You guys made me feel warm hearted:3 thank you for that. I promise to do everything in my power to be there. Thank's a lot smash boards<3

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wish Luigitoilet could have locked this thread like a responsible staff member instead of make that immature comment. This conversation is going in circles.
this isn't my forum to moderate. trust me I would love to close this along with like 90% of the threads in the UB hahaha.

sure, my immature comment was unnecessary...but oh well! i felt people weren't being harsh enough. i'm a jerk. i can't help it!!!

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
this isn't my forum to moderate. trust me I would love to close this along with like 90% of the threads in the UB hahaha.

sure, my immature comment was unnecessary...but oh well! i felt people weren't being harsh enough. i'm a jerk. i can't help it!!!
Really! Dude you have no idea what a jerk really is. I won't start with ya, but I know your trolling, yet I asked you nicely yet you won't. ... I'd love to flame ya,but that GYK is done with. If the old was still here you'd be so mad you would want me banned.

EDIT: Don't take what I'm saying to heart dude. I'm just giving ya the answer I you've gave you before

allshort17

Smash Ace
I say this, you're in California. I don't know where Bakersfield is exactly in California, but it's still in one of the greatest places for brawl. You have amazing competition in your state, so if they are nowhere near you then you have to put the money and the time to get to them. Going 3+ hours just for a tournament or good smashfest is might what you need to do. Also, an 1+ just to find someone to practice against may be needed. However, you have to actively try.

If it's money, get a job if you don't have one and smartly save the money you earn. If it's transportation, save up for a car; consider public transportation such as buses; or find people you can carpool with. Strict parents? Show them that you can handle the responsibility of tournaments, negotiate ways to travel and help them plan, and tell them stories of other who have overcome there obstacles such as the Chilean player Zero. Also, if they believe it's unsafe, then have them and maybe some older, trustworthy friends come with you.

Any other problem you have can be solved with enough time, money, effort, and commitment. This is, if you want it that is. If you aren't putting in the effort or willing to put in the effort, then you have zero reason to complain because you brought that upon yourself. Also, if you can't not overcome an obstacle now, then wait. I know I'll have to wait till college to actually start the smash career I want, but for now I wait and take any tournament in my area.

What people are saying about maturity is true. You blog started with curse words and a sarcastic, threatening tone. Make sure you portray your ideas with the up-most respect, no matter who you are talking to or how you feel on the topic. You also were very hostile towards the trolls in this blog. Those are example on why the internet players are strerotyped as immature, however you don't need to attack back. Don't feed the fire and attack back, just ignore them. It works way better than you would think.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions on anything feel free to PM me. I hope you settle into the smash community and learn that it's really not as crappy and judgmental as you would think.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I say this, Your in California. I don't know where Bakersfield is exactly in California, but it's still in one of the greatest places for brawl. You have amazing competition in your state, so if they are nowhere near you then you have to put the money and the time to get to them. Going 3+ hours just for a tournament or good smashfest is might what you need to do. Also, an 1+ just to find someone to practice against may be needed. However, you have to actively try.

If it's money, get a job if you don't have one and smartly save the money you earn. If it's transportation, save up for a car; consider public transportation such as buses; or find people you can carpool with. Strict parents? So them that you can handle the responsibility of tournaments, negotiate ways to travel and help them plan, and tell them stories of other who have overcome there obstacles such as the Chilean player Zero. Also, if they believe it's unsafe, then have them and maybe some older, trustworthy friends come with you.

Any other problem you have can be solved with enough time, money, effort, and commitment. This is if you want it that is. If you aren't putting in the effort or willing to put in the effort, then you have zero reason to complain because you brought that upon yourself. Also, if you can't not overcome an obstacle now, then wait. I know I'll have to wait till college to actually start the smash career I want, but for now I wait and take any tournament in my area.

What people are saying about maturity is true. You blog started with curse words and a sarcastic, threatening tone. Make sure you portray your ideas with the up-most respect, no matter who you are talking to or how you feel on the topic. You also were very hostile towards the trolls in this blog. Those are example on why the internet players are strerotyped as immature, however you don't need to attack back. Don't feed the fire and attack back, just ignore them. It works way better than you would think.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions on anything feel free to PM me. I hope you settle into the smash community and learn that it's really not as crappy and judgmental as you would think.
Wow man... that was perfect. Yeah like I said when people get on my bad side I do stupid things, but I learn. I'm not gonna start flame wars with little kids, but the thing is I have A LOT ON MY PLATE. But I really am gonna try to make it. Honest

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This thread confuses me so much. First he complains that his parents won't let him go to tourneys, then he tells us he's 18 anyway. Then he says that he has no way to get there himself. Then he says his parents don't have the time to take him to a tournament. Now he says how much he loves and appreciates his parents.

GYK, why the hell are you complaining?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lol dude xD it's a tournament. I really don't think it's that's important, but it is something I want to do badly. I understand that I'm a adult, and I have my choices that will benifit me or hurt me in my life. Seriously it's not that important. I always play offline, and will soon upload matches of my YOSHI. To give ya a taste of my Yoshi. Anyway thanks for the advice. I also didn't wanna even try coming to offline tournaments.
Because I thought you all were the same like aib.Had no heart, but ... You guys made me feel warm hearted:3 thank you for that. I promise to do everything in my power to be there. Thank's a lot smash boards<3

I wasn't talking about tournies dude. There are other decisions in life more important than tournies. And those decisions was what I was referring to.

NeeBee

Smash Journeyman
This thread confuses me so much. First he complains that his parents won't let him go to tourneys, then he tells us he's 18 anyway. Then he says that he has no way to get there himself. Then he says his parents don't have the time to take him to a tournament. Now he says how much he loves and appreciates his parents.

GYK, why the hell are you complaining?
Do not question the Golden Yoshi King.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Hey guys just wanna say thanks for the advice. I'm not gonna be on here for a while. Don't think I'm offended by your comments. I'm not, today it's just the worst I don't know what to do. I'm depressed, and my family is just falling. I hope God hears my prayers. I'd appreciate it if you would pray for me, and my family. Thank you all. Couldn't ask for a nicer online place than smash boards. Take care GYK

Btw. This is GoldenYoshiKing. It's just a shorter name, and it sounds better as well.
Youtube account is GoldenYoshiKing23 I use to have it as just GoldenYoshiKing.

@Buddha Lova. That's cool man, rep Bako the right way!

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=5140]Offline vs Online[/drupal]
Maybe we do wanna go to offline tournament, but in our area brawl is DEAD. Seriously you guys need to think. About that.
1. Play melee, Brawls too easy

2.Play offline on a proper TV, even a laggy TV pisses off good players that actually notice frames of lag, 6frames is horrible lag

3.Seriously you need to think. About your grammar. and quit raging out on the forums liek an angry kid getting **** on in halo

^Btw the bad grammar was to prove a point, it's not hard to type like a normal person

P.S I live in ST.Catharines ON, Canada, theres literally like 3 people to play with near me so quit ur *****ing, I had to pay $30 for a Go-bus to toronto last tournament, then $10 entrance 10 singles and 10 doubles, + food

Get a job and quit living with ur parents, seems to be affecting you negatively

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
1. Play melee, Brawls too easy

2.Play offline on a proper TV, even a laggy TV pisses off good players that actually notice frames of lag, 6frames is horrible lag

3.Seriously you need to think. About your grammar. and quit raging out on the forums liek an angry kid getting **** on in halo

^Btw the bad grammar was to prove a point, it's not hard to type like a normal person

P.S I live in ST.Catharines ON, Canada, theres literally like 3 people to play with near me so quit ur *****ing, I had to pay $30 for a Go-bus to toronto last tournament, then $10 entrance 10 singles and 10 doubles, + food

Get a job and quit living with ur parents, seems to be affecting you negatively
Aren't most hdtv's laggy though? Unless you're talking about getting a sdtv used, which could work.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Wooow this guy is goldenyoshiking? This dude is a total prick on youtube. He doesn't really deserve any respect until he can learn to stop being an *******.

Btw 6 frames of lag on is a total lie. That is like the absolute best it will EVER get. That's like japan wifi. Average lag for me is like 30-35 frames of lag. It is completely ridiculous.

EDIT: Here's one of his quotes on one of slush's matches with nike. "uwww Nike ***** yo *** HARD xD getting 3-0 that's gotta leave a mark xD U mad? I can answer that question for ya, but I won't. I'm sure you know the answer to that.
GoldenYoshiKing23 2 days ago"

And that was after slush already beat nike in winner's bracket.

EDIT2: I saw that he actually apologized to slush. I guess that's good of him. But still, he shouldn't have posted that in the first place.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Like me huh. Don't judge people dude. Only our Lord judges us. We make mistakes, but were human. I can tell your a believer. You have no idea how much I disliked Raptor, and the rest. It's complex, but either way I try to forget things, but I don't. I will someday

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I love how this GYK person keeps trying to get sympathy from people by saying stuff like "I'm depressed my life sucks" etc. as if the people he's being rude to aren't worse-off than him lol.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom