• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
of course. but it's still one tournament, I think the other MLG events should occur and be considered before you really decide what effect if any the stage list had.
I'll agree with that.

Just saying that writing off all of MLG Orlando because of random seeding is ridiculous.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Oh, and get @ ESAM & Nick Riddle wrecking those MKs.
Its a 60/40 MU that just means they have the 61+ to win, the MU only consist of dont lose the lead and out smart your opponent like +++++++

Also, no Falco's consider the IC MU that bad anymore.
Just proves your legitimacy of all your posts, Falco does NOT win vs ICs as lain as proves as lain won at pound 4 as it is still a 70/30 MU

edit - In the matches of Lain vs Notra (see game 2 at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268832 )
It was believed falco was able to defeat lain but this is defiantly not the case as you can see towards the end of game 2 when he started realizing the very obvious pattern

Huh.

The Final 8 for MLG Orlando 2010:

Mew2King - Meta Knight
Ally - Snake
ADHD - Diddy
DSF - Meta Knight
Tyrant - Meta Knight
DEHF - Falco
Big Lou - Luigi
ESAM - Pikachu

Stagelist caters to MK, and there are only 3 in the top 8? He overcentralizes the game to the point that no other characters are viable, obv.
Your killing me the top players are not only what matters and did you notice how you will never see 2 of them same character other then metaknight?

Fox in melee is just as dominant as metaknight in the melee scene but does not claim as many victories in tounrys as melee fox , I'd also like to mention Melee fox HAS bad MUs and if you see the melee tier list Fox and Marth are almost tied(http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199342 )

I also find your sarcasm ridiculous, its just like posted a results chart of TV sales in a 3rd world country and saying, huh I guess no one likes TVs anymore,

this character has the best defensive and offensive game as he has the ability to make himself invincible for any set amount of time expect 1 - 3 frames and the idea of going off stage to hit him during those 1 - 3 frames is such a terrible idea, How this character can be joked about in so many tounrys/blogs on how "Well I'll just pick up metaknight for matchup X" how metaknight is continuing to grow and grow in the % of players that play him to "cover up there bad match up" or to "stop losing"

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Your killing me the top players are not only what matters and did you notice how you will never see 2 of them same character other then metaknight?
I was joking mostly...

It is notable, though, that lots of top MKs were beaten. That's the only point I was trying to l make, which I reiterated in my later posts.
Fox and Marth are almost tied
That tier list is so outdated...
this character has the best defensive and offensive game as he has the ability to make himself invincible for any set amount of time expect 1 - 3 frames and the idea of going off stage to hit him during those 1 - 3 frames is such a terrible idea
So you agree that his planking makes the game essentially unplayable? Then it's already illegal using the SBR definition, and an LGL is a fine way to stop it.
How this character can be joked about in so many tounrys/blogs on how "Well I'll just pick up metaknight for matchup X" how metaknight is continuing to grow and grow in the % of players that play him to "cover up there bad match up" or to "stop losing"
Can you talk in legible English, please?

I mean I'm fine if your grammar is bad, but seriously I can't tell what point you're trying to make with that last part.

solecalibur

Smash Master
So you agree that his planking makes the game essentially unplayable? Then it's already illegal using the SBR definition, and an LGL is a fine way to stop it.
It does not make the game unplayable as you are able to knock him off his planking but your are going in with a death wish, and have you counted how many minutes can be stalled off grabbing the ledge 25 - 35 times while scourging under the stage?

That tier list is so outdated...
Well that proves a point that melee was balanced as certain characters had bad match ups and that

theunabletable

Smash Lord
and have you counted how many minutes can be stalled off grabbing the ledge 25 - 35 times while scourging under the stage?
I haven't seen data that shows scrooging to be humanly unbeatable, so the ability to scrooge seems rather irrelevant. And with an LGL and scrooging he doesn't seem to be bannable (imo).

solecalibur

Smash Master
. . .

lol
Completely out of context it was more balanced then brawl is

I haven't seen data that shows scrooging to be humanly unbeatable, so the ability to scrooge seems rather irrelevant. And with an LGL and scrooging he doesn't seem to be bannable (imo).
scrooging unbeatable? Its not but tell me which characters can be able to hit metaknight under the stage with out risking their stock?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Idk much about scrooging and what can beat it, honestly.

And what does it matter if he can scrooge with an LGL? The LGL isn't there to stop scrooging, it's to stop the DMG style of planking. His ability to do a completely different strategy is irrelevant.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Its a 60/40 MU that just means they have the 61+ to win, the MU only consist of dont lose the lead and out smart your opponent like +++++++

Pika goes 55-45 with MK and ZSS is arguable.

Just proves your legitimacy of all your posts, Falco does NOT win vs ICs as lain as proves as lain won at pound 4 as it is still a 70/30 MU

edit - In the matches of Lain vs Notra (see game 2 at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268832 )
It was believed falco was able to defeat lain but this is defiantly not the case as you can see towards the end of game 2 when he started realizing the very obvious pattern
One set doesn't prove a MU ratio lol. Oh, and all Falcos dont use that much phantasm.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'd be all for MLG's stagelist if it did balance out MK, but on paper MK should..... dominate with these stages.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
. . .

lol
It's actually pretty well balanced in the sense that there are many failsafes that limit/boost all characters universally, such that in a given situation, there are certain options that all characters have access to, which are moderately effectual options. True, there are many ways in which it could be improved upon. I know this all too well. But that doesn't detract from the brief glimpses of genius.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No the stage list didn't make things more balanced lol. What I am guessing happened, is that people didn't play gay LIKE usual, and that stages like Green Greens were severely under played. Honestly though, I will be very disappointed if I hear that people who used MK were counterpicking their opponents to stages like Frigate or Neutrals instead of RC/Brinstar/Green Greens/Norfair/something gay. I WANT SOME TIME OUTS FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE AKLDASJDKASDL

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
marth and fox aren't te top 2 anymore
*bursts out laughing*

You're right about marth, but anyone who tells you fox isn't the top character... please ask them what they're on cause I want some of dat sh**.

Seriously... fox is by far the most consistently placing character in the metagame at the moment and has always been the best from a technical prospective.

The other character that you're suggesting happens to have the highest concentration of ranking points to individual players of any character, and is ranked nowhere near first in terms of tournament results, and by a very significant margin.

Jiggs is good, and I've always thought she deserved the top tier nod, but better then fox, no way.

NNID
Budget_Player
Soooo much disrespect for anti-ban.

Character dominance is not a good criteria for banning something.
Not gonna say anti-ban is stupid because of this. Definitely Tommy G on this one. :laugh: Let's hear that again.

Character dominance is not a good criteria for banning something.
Haha that powerpoint too good.

Fail statistics. If Anti-ban really did do those things.....
They did....

I really haven't had the time until now, but if people want I can update this post with February & March. I could also add CrimsonVoulge and Radikal Havoc, even though the latter doesn't perform on the same level as the hater of Super Flies or Dictator.
Please do. It's a very useful post, plus apparently things have changed with MLG?

wtf @ luigi in top 8. That's awesome.
Yeah, I'm almost feeling like this is a sign that my most clear thought on why MK HAS to be banned (him hard countering you makes you automatically inviable)... jeez. Let's see if this trend holds, eh?

Nah, Falco goes even without planking and Diddy might too.
I hear DK does all right against DDD if DDD doesn't use grabs. :p

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
At this point hoping for MK to be offitially banned is completely delusional and unwarranted. Suck it.

:059:

Flayl

Smash Hero
No the stage list didn't make things more balanced lol. What I am guessing happened, is that people didn't play gay LIKE usual, and that stages like Green Greens were severely under played. Honestly though, I will be very disappointed if I hear that people who used MK were counterpicking their opponents to stages like Frigate or Neutrals instead of RC/Brinstar/Green Greens/Norfair/something gay. I WANT SOME TIME OUTS FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE AKLDASJDKASDL
But there WERE reports of time outs. Including a time out in a MK ditto.

Someone interview/survey the attendants or something.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yes! Yes! Feed Me With The Power Of Knowledge!

Flarb Garb Garble Asaqwehaskn'; *buuuurp*

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
it seems like MK won't be banned afterall. MLG proved the pro ban wrong so hard its not even funny.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
That sounds like DSF didn't know what he was doing, though. If MK really wanted to control the center platform from Pikachu, would it be that hard to do so? Especially a skilled MK like DSF.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
*bursts out laughing*

You're right about marth, but anyone who tells you fox isn't the top character... please ask them what they're on cause I want some of dat sh**.

Seriously... fox is by far the most consistently placing character in the metagame at the moment and has always been the best from a technical prospective.
when i said marth and fox aren't the top to i meant it in that marth is no longer up there, you wasted your time there bud of course i know fox is still at the top

Crow!

Smash Lord
I'm kind of confused. Why is everyone acting like MK epically failed at this tournament? He kicked slightly more butt than was predicted! Not less.

Continuing the "Large Tourney Month" line, I had said at some point that MLG should be considering MK to be slightly above 40% dominance in January. April would be around 45%. Our MLG results, using Ankoku's method as per usual?

MK: 52%
Snake: 24%
Pika: 14%
Diddy, Falco, Luigi: 4%

Money-wise, MK took 57% of the singles prizes.

It could even out to close to the predicted 45% once the month's other tournaments are averaged in, but MLG is certainly going to get itself some heavy weighting.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
^Crow post. :)

Also, I'd like to point something out here.

Since the stagelist heavily favored him TO BEGIN WITH, It's quite possible that most of the Mk's had no reason to play gay, and were able to just flat out beat their opponents.

I'm willing to bet that if m2k had faced a serious threat of losing to Ally, he'd have picked gay stages, and played as gay as possible.

You can't write this off as mediocre (even though it isn't, see Crow's post), just because we had a Pika and a Luigi in the top 8. Random seeding, and the fact that MK's PROBABLY didn't ***** the list as bad as they could have, means we still need more data.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm kind of confused. Why is everyone acting like MK epically failed at this tournament? He kicked slightly more butt than was predicted! Not less.

Continuing the "Large Tourney Month" line, I had said at some point that MLG should be considering MK to be slightly above 40% dominance in January. April would be around 45%. Our MLG results, using Ankoku's method as per usual?

It could even out to close to the predicted 45% once the month's other tournaments are averaged in, but MLG is certainly going to get itself some heavy weighting.
Are you joking? That is ridiculous. MK did significantly worse than people predicted. period. Concidering he was the most played character at MLG it makes sence to expect to see multiple MKs, but he didn't dominate anything. M2K won, tryant got 3rd. after that there are what... 5 MKs in the TOP 16 with characters like luigi pika kirby ZSS etc. beating top MKs to reach top 16 spots.

Just... stop there isn't some secert hidden within the numbers here MK is definitely beatable if you actually try to beat him. Something my region has been proving since the games come out. (and something my region proved this weekend in Orlando)

etecoon

Smash Hero
3 MK's in the top 8 is pretty much expected for a national if not less than expected, and pika and luigi in the mix is just silly. I wouldn't call it a failure but it's certainly not what pro ban wanted, no one that isn't already massively biased is looking at these results and thinking that MK is a problem.

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
its pretty hilarious that the majority of the time outs were done by lame wario players .

fkacyan

Smash Hero

In this post, we attempt to gather data from a non-seeded tourney!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
In this post, we attempt to gather data from a non-seeded tourney!
If X person would have been beaten by Y MK mainer, then no matter when the match happens, X person would have lost against Y MK mainer. Also, if the non-MK mainers duked it out together in the first rounds, that'd leave the MK mainers duking it out against each other, which would mean less MKs later on during the tourney... So whichever situation would've happened, MK would've still kept going.

Just pointing that out.

I like the tournament, though. I heard nothing about excessive camping and pseudo-stalling, which is what I personally think is the thing that should be looked into (and if it can't be looked into and fixed, then well, you know... :F). Still, without the BBR's official ruleset, we can't say this tourney is a perfect representative of what the metagame will be from now on (I'm not writing it off, just saying that MK could've been cheaper if he was allowed, what with the whole more-limited-than-before non-BBR-endorsed LGL and all).

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The seeding of this tournament was decent guys. Nothing horribad about it other than Mew2King only having 10th seed, and so many fellow state members playing the first round, like all the New York versus New Yorks and Florida versus Florida.

Crow!

Smash Lord
*Opens BBR recommended ruleset*
*Control-F*
*types "seed"*
Huh. No results.

Yeah, seeding is a good thing.. as long as every player gets a fair chance to earn their seeds, anyway. But failing to seed doesn't invalidate a whole tourney. Heck, Chess tournaments are generally run in such a way as to cause the players assumed to be the best to play each other as early as possible.

In any case, I was pointing out that this tournament certainly doesn't demonstrate a surprising failure of MK's dominance. His performance was what one should logically expect given the trends.. and maybe slightly better. You can argue whether this that or the other factor affected the results at MLG Orlando, but you can do that at every tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom