• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yes, if planking is synonymous with specific characters.

Pit's planking and Pikachu's planking are beatable. GaW's I'm not sure, I'm waiting for DMG's data, but I have no problem banning him too.

If we don't, then Brawl is not a game worth saving.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I guess my point is:

why not prove it so it's not just theory? If it's impossible to beat then why not just show tournaments that it's unbeatable?

Flayl

Smash Hero
...Therefore, we should ban a character?
How reliable is it to ban the tactic? Can the same tactic be used as effectively by any other character?

In the process of banning the tactic, are you removing it entirely or just limiting it to a lesser version of itself? Are you hurting other characters?

IDC shouldn't be banned because somebody can do it for 8 minutes. The minute you see it can be done for an extended period of time you realize it has stalling - by the definition - potential.

Ledge grab limits limit planking to a lesser version of itself. Instead of planking just as soon as you gain a lead, the objective becomes to plank in the last minute, or whatever space of time the LGL allows.

We've all seen MK's planking for short period of times. M2K does it often. He won games because of it. Is planking any less broken if it achieves the same goal but not over the course of 8 minutes?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Then take off LGL and LET THIS BAT FLY!

FLY INTO THE NIGHT!

LOL GHEB.

Pit's planking, framewise, is beatable. Once I have everything down about him, I will post that up and show you that yes, there are holes in it you can exploit.

Prawn

Smash Master
Guys metaknight isnt that gud i beet my frends metaknight with my ike and hes like a 1337haxor pro.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How reliable is it to ban the tactic? Can the same tactic be used as effectively by any other character?

In the process of banning the tactic, are you removing it entirely or just limiting it to a lesser version of itself? Are you hurting other characters?
I dunno. So far everyone's just been focusing on Meta Knight and what Meta Knight can do with Planking.

IDC shouldn't be banned because somebody can do it for 8 minutes. The minute you see it can be done for an extended period of time you realize it has stalling - by the definition - potential.
The question was really if it could be used to stall for any given amount of time. Don't worry too much about it.

We've all seen MK's planking for short period of times. M2K does it often. He won games because of it. Is planking any less broken if it achieves the same goal but not over the course of 8 minutes?
Incidentally, he did the same thing with Marth in Melee. People stopped chasing him off the stage eventually.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I dunno. So far everyone's just been focusing on Meta Knight and what Meta Knight can do with Planking.
Our goal is to show other character's don't have this problem. DMG will elaborate soon enough. Also some of us have been trying to discuss how to beat ledge-camping in general for a long while now, it's not exclusive to MK.

The question was really if it could be used to stall for any given amount of time. Don't worry too much about it.
All is well then.

Incidentally, he did the same thing with Marth in Melee. People stopped chasing him off the stage eventually.
Yes I'm aware he often baited people into falling into ledge traps. Not quite sure what that has to do with theoretically unbeatable planking.

NNID
Budget_Player
I guess my point is:

why not prove it so it's not just theory? If it's impossible to beat then why not just show tournaments that it's unbeatable?

Why not show that Akuma is unbeatable?
Why not show that Ivan Ooze is unbeatable?
Why not show that the hypothetical character in my thread that just got locked is unbeatable?

Because a reasonable person shouldn't have to. You're like the people who saw proof of gravity, and said "Nah, let's wait a few years and make sure this is a trend".

No, it's not.

:059:
Really?

Then take off LGL and LET THIS BAT FLY!

FLY INTO THE NIGHT!

LOL GHEB.

Pit's planking, framewise, is beatable. Once I have everything down about him, I will post that up and show you that yes, there are holes in it you can exploit.
Post data, plox. This argument should be OVER.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The anti-ban would come and say something but theres so many pages of chitchat that I'm not going to look through it all to find something I/someone could object to.
It's not chit chat.

I've gotten so much data it's insane.

I actually derived a way to look into the future and can tell you fairly accurately how likley it is someone will go up and down.

I don't really trust Omni to respond to the arguments anyway; he's repeatedly ignored posts before and has admitted he's "not good with numbers", and that's basically what we've got.

It's unfortunate, because I've already proven in my research that Metaknight is more dominant in this game than Chun Li is in Third Strike, the game that Omni showed pro-ban after saying "You don't know what dominance is". I even used his data AND put it in his favor.......

Omni has no room to stand on, this much is pretty obvious.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't really trust Omni to respond to the arguments anyway; he's repeatedly ignored posts before and has admitted he's "not good with numbers", and that's basically what we've got.
why confront you when there are so much more effective ways of doing things?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ARE YOU INSINUATING THAT MK CAN'T DAMAGE HIS FOES, AND HAS TO RELY ON FLYING UNDER THE STAGE IN THE HOPES THAT THE OPPONENT IS STUPID ENOUGH TO RUN OFF?

lol

swordgard

Smash Hero
Omni is obviously planking your argument

Staying in a usually bad situation"not answering arguments" but using the status quo invincibility frames to get away with his stalling over 8 min...i mean months

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Plus, I'm **** entertaining.
sometimes....

sometimes...

If you wanted to add a little bit of troll bait or flare to your posting you could insult them while your typing your counter argument on MK. Like going after their previous post history; avoiding a point, a poorly constructed opinion, lack of evidence to support a point, strange reasoning, bad theory crafting, call outs, extreme bias, a unwillingness to accept a good valid point, and so on.

That whole reason i posted my call out way back when commented about your Smash resume was because its just plain ole silly

JRob

Smash Cadet
Omni is obviously planking your argument

Staying in a usually bad situation"not answering arguments" but using the status quo invincibility frames to get away with his stalling over 8 min...i mean months
WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO APPROACH OVERSWARM'S ARGUEMENT?

lul

swordgard

Smash Hero
WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO APPROACH OVERSWARM'S ARGUEMENT?

lul

Because OS has the lead and thus Omni fails to realize he will lose if he tries to time out OS. Simple as that. Then again, Omni could IDC>Dsmash then scrooge.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So... three purple names here have called you out from the entire group of people monitoring this thread (save for Ankoku who is Switzerland) for basically planking the argument.

Omni, this is simple.

Hit Crow's massive data posts that have been around for ages, then hit DMG's planking post.

If you can't get past those, you're sunk anyway.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So I was minding my own business, reading this thread, then went down to eat breakfast. As I came back up and passed the guest bedroom, this sight met my eyes:

He's mocking me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It isn't really theoretical, though. Well, I guess it is. But there are a lot of "theories" that we make a lot of assumptions based on in this world. Relativity, for instance. :p

It has been proven here scientifically and methodically beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can't beat planking when done correctly. I don't think we should wait for someone to do it before taking action, just like IDC.
Only MK's planking, the others have much bigger holes to exploit.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
i don't think it's that bad..
i feel as though it's like something that everyone has to overcome
even though i loose to him 99 percent of the time
i think it's fun to try and learn how to beat him..
:(

i want friends..

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Btw can we limit MK more? I like using him.
I'm neutral again but I don't see the point in doing so because

1. That's admitting that he acts outside of the game's normal boundaries

2. Many of the proposed "limits" are harder to enforce than the ban on texting on truck drivers.

If you have an easy to enforce one, inform me.

Edit: Why am I suffering from Deja Vu?

•Col•

Smash Champion
So if pro-ban has no obligation to organize their entire argument into something approachable, readable, and complete what makes you think I have an obligation to respond to broken, segmented, and separated arguments?

Lol @ you deciding how the debate should be ran. If pro-ban doesn't want to bring together all of their arguments, then that's fine. They're not forced to.

You giving me "options". Lol. Funny guy.

I don't plan on going back and forth infinitely.

If you don't agree with me, then get over it. U mad?
-dmt-, this debate has come to an conclusion for the most part. All that's left are people from both sides throwing sly, insulting remarks at each other for whatever reason.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I'm not asking OS to retype an entire argument summary. Simply to gather all the info that has presented in this thread, organize it, and then present it as pro-ban's argument. Then I'll respond.

When pro-ban has their complete case that they'd like to be addressed someone can just PM it to me.
Don't ignore my post and insinuate that anti-ban is doing anything.

I have told pro-ban to complete their argument since it seems to still be in the working. No one else has volunteered to respond to Overswarm and Co.'s series of Harry Potter books so I will do so once they complete it. Regardless, someone's going to find something to insult me with or looking for a reason to complain. It's fine; very good PR tactic that puts me in the negative limelight but that's what figurehead representatives have to deal with.

You may continue to debate about MK in here, but anti-ban isn't obligated to give the community a play-by-play action. Get over yourselves for those of you who believe you deserve it.
So is pro-ban going to finalize their case into an organized and collected argument?

I've seen some posts with collected information and a lot of isolated arguments/graphs.

If pro-ban can finalize their case, I can start getting on a response.
Dramatic much?

I've asked for probans complete proposal to be IMed to me weeks ago so I can respond. It hasn't happened.
People eating up Overswarm's words like they're candy. It's funny.

He's been on my ignore list for some time now. I've yet to receive the proposal I requested.

Also, antiban doesn't have to act at the moment. Anyone demanding responses are like babies crying if they can't have their bottle. Get over it.
I've ignored this place because it's just filled with pro-ban people both intelligent and non-intelligent who attempt to condescend the opposition to compliment their arguments, Crow.

It just becomes a childish back and forth. I'm guilty of the same crime.

As I said before, I will address ALL of pro-ban's arguments in its entirety if it's given to me in an organized and complete fashion.
I was referring to the comments that Overswarm made regarding me "biding my time" or things of false, condescending nature.

I call people who demand immediate attention to their concerns babies because they feel like people are obligated to address a 40 page + document. That isn't the case.

We've been debating this issue for way longer than 2 months, Iron Boots. This is a repeat scenario.
Pretty sure they feel you're obligated to address a 40+ page document because that's what you've been asking for all along.

I was wondering what you were thinking when you started asking for all the collected arguments... I mean, were you just expecting to be as long as one post, or what?

Master Raven

Smash Master
It really kills me knowing we've gone so far as to making a 40 page document regarding the banning of a character in a video game (I'm not knocking pro-ban but the thought is just hilarious when you really think about it).

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
lol at pit's nair having 1 frame of startup.
ban plz?
Pit's nair doesn't have IASA frames, isn't a consistent KO move in the air, and leaves the back of his boots vulnerable.

Try something else?

Also, try shrinking the doc to 10 pages. I don't want to read an argument that takes longer to read than it does to watch an 11 minute episode of Spongebob.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pit's nair doesn't have IASA frames, isn't a consistent KO move in the air, and leaves the back of his boots vulnerable.

Try something else?
errrrr i was joking.
it doesn't really come out that fast does it...?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pretty sure they feel you're obligated to address a 40+ page document because that's what you've been asking for all along.

I was wondering what you were thinking when you started asking for all the collected arguments... I mean, were you just expecting to be as long as one post, or what?
Normally, I don't do this, but Omni just got EXPOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom