• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone's ignoring how crucial it is, people are just saying that classifying it as part of movement is incorrect.

On an unrelated note, you still play melee DMG?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea, techroll is le ****. I just dont think when classifying movement techroll should be mentioned. IMO its best classified under another category.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Adum: Yeah I play Melee still. I'm trying to get back into it fully. Like playing more than sporadically with some of the Dallas people whenever I go there for a tournament. I used to/still main Falcon except for Garb matchups like Shiek lol or matchups I like more as Marth like Peach.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I've decided Marth is very underrated in the current metagame. Sheik as well, but to a lesser extent. Just because everyone stopped playing them doesn't stop them being good. The only noteworthy Sheik there is is Amsah and look how well he did. As far as Marth, well, there's just no one so notable now M2k plays three characters and is rusty. Still, look what Falcomist is accomplishing now he's maining him.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
There are more notable sheiks than marth.

Whether they main that character is one thing, but it really doesnt matter. For example, mango is a notable falco, fox, falco, while being a puff main.

M2k has a top level sheik as well. and there are other high level sheiks like kira drephen tope plairnk.

Marth is good, but he is probably the lowest of the top, or top of the high.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
There are more notable sheiks than marth.

Whether they main that character is one thing, but it really doesnt matter. For example, mango is a notable falco, fox, falco, while being a puff main.

M2k has a top level sheik as well. and there are other high level sheiks like kira drephen tope plairnk.

Marth is good, but he is probably the lowest of the top, or top of the high.
This is my point. There ARE no noteworthy Marths anymore, HBK doesn't place high and Falcomist is relatively new to it, so people just seem to forget about said character and assume popularity is often correlated with quality of character. This is why people now think things like Falco beats Marth (something I reject outright), because there's nothing pushing Marth to prove them wrong.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Better DI affects Falco even worse but he seems to have risen anyway (advances in metagame I know, I know). And yes, CG's are very real still, m2k's just not as consistent technically anymore.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
CAn we all just get along?

I just dont understand why marth isnt just ******. He is good, but I honestly dont believe he is AS good as we originally thought.

OR his meta game could be behind, or at least ppl arent taking adv of newer techniques, aside from nobody playing marth.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
CAn we all just get along?

I just dont understand why marth isnt just ******. He is good, but I honestly dont believe he is AS good as we originally thought.

OR his meta game could be behind, or at least ppl arent taking adv of newer techniques, aside from nobody playing marth.
I don't think it's that crazy that Marth isn't doing so well.

Partly it's just character popularity (like how Sheik was horribly underrepresented a few years back).

Partly it's just that Marth is a cut below the other top tiers. He has trouble with Falcon and Jiggs, and tons of trouble with Sheik (who is is making a resurgence).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Sheik (who is is making a resurgence).
Cool deal.

Marth isn't that hard to deal with,really marth is one of my favorite match-ups whenn I once thought he would be unbareable. marth just has no seeable flaws other than recovery. Not as bad as falco is can just rack up damage like no one's bussiness

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Marth should be doing better. I think it's solely because he's just not as played as he should be. I don't think the character as a whole is slipping or that much behind the rest of top tier.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Marth should be doing better. I think it's solely because he's just not as played as he should be. I don't think the character as a whole is slipping or that much behind the rest of top tier.
But it sounds like you agree he is behind. He is one of the best.

but not 2nd to fox by any means.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
The way the metagame for a lot of characters has advanced (Jiggs mainly) and the new emphasis on spacing and strong mental game, (Hi mango) you'd think Marth would be even better in the hands of someone who can aim those tippers. As you all no doubt recall, back in the MLG days, Azen was known for phenomenal spacing that allowed him to **** the **** out of people at relatively low percents just because of the frame perfect spacing right before the forward smash.

Scrubs opinion, don't nerd rage at me

strawhats

Smash Master
there's one person who can make marth god like again...Jason Zimmerman (m2k) best marth ever, has no confidence in his marth anymore and therefore is guided by Match ups (he only uses marth against spacies) when in 2k7-early 2k8 he used marth in almost every matchup including against falcon. Jason has gotten lazy and is not frame perfect anymore with marth, Brawl Johns.

Unless M2K, Azen, Ken make comebacks I dont know how far marth will go. My dream is to become a top marth player and take up the mantle that Ken, and M2K left.

gm jack

Smash Lord
there's one person who can make marth god like again...Jason Zimmerman (m2k) best marth ever, has no confidence in his marth anymore and therefore is guided by Match ups (he only uses marth against spacies) when in 2k7-early 2k8 he used marth in almost every matchup including against falcon. Jason has gotten lazy and is not frame perfect anymore with marth, Brawl Johns.

Unless M2K, Azen, Ken make comebacks I dont know how far marth will go. My dream is to become a top marth player and take up the mantle that Ken, and M2K left.
His Sheik is good enough to destroy Falcons with ease. Why would he make it more tricky than it has to be?

That said, as he is splitting attention between games, I feel m2k is simply being left behind by people who focus on melee. While he can switch well and plays both games to top level, he isn't so overwhelmingly good that he can realistically hope to take down Mango, Armada etc when they simply have more time put into the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah watching M2K's Shiek against Falcon is a whole lot of "Jason, that was sick and gay at the same time" lol. There's no reason for him to use Marth when his Shiek is probably good enough to beat any Falcon on Earth, whether it be because he is genuinely better than them, or that the matchup is terrible, or a combination of both.

With that said, I think he should go back more to Marth for other matchups (Puff, Falco for the most part unless he is on some Amsah status and just goes to town on Falco players)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yeah watching M2K's Shiek against Falcon is a whole lot of "Jason, that was sick and gay at the same time" lol. There's no reason for him to use Marth when his Shiek is probably good enough to beat any Falcon on Earth, whether it be because he is genuinely better than them, or that the matchup is terrible, or a combination of both.

With that said, I think he should go back more to Marth for other matchups (Puff, Falco for the most part unless he is on some Amsah status and just goes to town on Falco players)
Yea, at Tourney play 4 m2k beat SS with his sheik.

afterwards they played some games, granted they were friendlys, but ss was beating m2ks other characters.

I see no reason to switch from sheik in that situation. I see no reason to do something other than a marth ditto. I see no reason to play brawl. I forgot he makes mad money so I see 1 reason, but its like that job you hate.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Roy is terrible, seriously
Yup.

Bad air game and recovery are bad.

What happened to Marth?
I thought he would be used more often than this.
I guess I have another main when I return to the competitive scene.

I also think Yoshi is good enough to be out of the bottom tier, but I kinda understand why he's down there.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lack of oos game lol.

I think he can still jump oos during the end and beginning of the shield animation, trash IMO.

Id play him if he didnt have that problem

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
just checked, he cant jump during the end of the shield animation, but he can at the start (jsut like every other character)

Magus420

Smash Master
To be more specific, he can only jump out of the powershield type of guard-on (guard-reflect) before the shield comes out. If you hold shield as you come out of lag, do less than a full shield press, or press the shield too slowly and lightshield for more than 1 frame before clicking down all the way you can't jump out of the startup. Also, though you can still jump out when lightshielding 1 frame before full shielding, it kills the invincibility he usually gets because you switch animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom