• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Vro

Smash Lord
I think I've found a way to do it that'll work everytime on FD's ledge, with Fox, Mario, Pichu, and Young Link :

Grab the ledge, let go (with or without fastfalling), double jump towards the wall so that at one point you'll be sliding along it (this is important), and so that you catch the ledge again as soon as possible in your double jump (thus you have to double jump at a certain height, and you have to take the risk to double jump too low and miss the edge)
While grabbing the ledge, smash away with the control stick (It isn't always necessary but if you don't do it, it might not work).
Then, you're ready to ledge wall jump : you have to smash the stick away in 1 frame to wall jump (if not, it'll start registering it as a tilt and you'll let go of the edge normally)
Also, I think you can hold on the ledge as long as you want before walljumping.
It's not easy to do, nor is it well researched. Sometimes when you press away from a ledge, you'll instant walljump, retaining your 2nd jump. Just weird.

Uchiha Madara

Smash Rookie
If you want to be called the most technical in the world you need to be close to 100% consistent with the following techniqes:

Wavedashing, complete control over the distance.

Wavelanding, from the edge, on platforms, accross platforms, from 1 platform to another, from the air to the ground, everything, you need to be waveland to it's near furthest extent from any place at any time.

L canceling. You cannot miss any.

Edgecanceling. Do this when you're not doing something else, hell, do this when you are doing something else. The faster you get your attacks out there the better. As long as they are serving a purpose, be it baiting, or putting pressure, or covering options.

SHFFLing attacks. People like to see fast, fast attacks, so we're talking, full hop fast fall L cancels from the ground to platforms, from the edge to platforms, while not always practical, to be considered super technical you need to fast fall like all of your attacks, and L cancel them 100% of the time. You can full hop them, SH is not a necessity, but basically don't get scared if you're above a platform, fast fall L cancel your attack any way.

Moonwalking. Be able to do it both directions, REALLY well, to give you an example of the distance you should be close to traveling watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebsxrZwGP_4
Incorporate this into your playstyle as well. Moonwalk off the edge and gimp your opponent with a bair/uair/dair/fair, anything.

Be extremly fast with upairs especially.

Side B cancel like jeff does, only better.
A good example, and an all around good video would be this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FJhmv_DGBk
This can be done against any wall, even the ones you can't always see, like on poke stadium on the mountain level, the thing you cannot walk from on the right side of the map, you know the one.

Know all of captain falcon's combos, go watch all the combo video's you find from him, and learn them. Warning though, many of them are very heavily DI dependent so you won't always be able to perform them.

Don't go for just 1 up air or nair to a knee. Nor should you knee directly out of a side B or of a throw. Unless they are at extremely high %. Always go for that extra hit and only finish with a knee on your second jump, unless you can finish with a knee without having to jump.

Learn scarjumping/walljumping.
Here's some good examples of how proficient you should be with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRxmZgsce0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0#t=3m18s
When possible, walljump any attack is better than just an attack.

Pivot out of dash dances, but make sure it either hits the opponent's shield or the opponent.

Get really good at tech chasing, and tech chase with either a dair or a side B or a grab. Only tech chase knee if you know you can either get another knee after it, or a knee grab, or the knee will kill them. Aside from that you need to prioritize moves that lead into other moves.

Know any and all combo's that lead into falcon punch.

Falcon kick is okay to use, but sparingly, as it doesn't lead in to anything, but it's unusual and needs to stay that way so don't spam it.

The Gentleman. Punch Punch Knee. Do not mess this up, at all, ever.

Note: You will suck at this game for a long, long time until you completely master your character, know every inch of his spandex clad body, and are near 100% proficient with all of his techniques, these and the less than note worthy ones.

Also:
Lol.

I'm done Falcon's learning curve is reall all the hard to learn....
For all the people that say tech skill is hard... they need more dedication, thanks a lot kinhT

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There is a 20 frame window to tech, right.

does hitlag count in the 20 frames, or is it 20 frames excluding hitlag?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Hitlag is included, so be prepared to have excellent timing when teching Samus' charge shot.

Reason being is that game time still passes normally even when you're in hitlag.

EDIT: Someone tell me how to do that shine thing where you can't see the hexagon during PS transformations. I can't do it right.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
he wavedashed with his shield up on the platform and fell off of the platform which makes you tumble. If you slide off of a platform with your shield up you will tumble basically.

Cheesecakeh

Smash Rookie
I main Peach. When I play against some of my friends who can use Fox, they use this seemingly unstoppable combo: grab-downthrow-upsmash. It's a KO for me if I'm above 70%-80% when the combo starts. It does anywhere between 20%-25% per run. Needless to say, if I don't get out of it, I die easily. And I have escaped that final upsmash, though I don't know how. Sometimes I stay laying on the ground as the upsmash misses me, and it allows me to recover safely. I don't know how it happens though, as I usually just mash "A" and "R" when the combo starts.

So my question is, how do I avoid the final upsmash? It's really a killer.

Also, how do I take smash videos from a TV?

Thanks,
Cheesecakeh

xbombr

Smash Ace
I main Peach. When I play against some of my friends who can use Fox, they use this seemingly unstoppable combo: grab-downthrow-upsmash. It's a KO for me if I'm above 70%-80% when the combo starts. It does anywhere between 20%-25% per run. Needless to say, if I don't get out of it, I die easily. And I have escaped that final upsmash, though I don't know how. Sometimes I stay laying on the ground as the upsmash misses me, and it allows me to recover safely. I don't know how it happens though, as I usually just mash "A" and "R" when the combo starts.

So my question is, how do I avoid the final upsmash? It's really a killer.

Also, how do I take smash videos from a TV?

Thanks,
Cheesecakeh
Tech the downthrow. Learn the timing and press/hold r and a direction just before you hit the ground. You only get 1 chance at a tech before you have to wait a full second. Knowing this, you should learn the timing and how to tech the d-throw. It might take a little bit of practice, but teching isn't really too hard.

Taking videos requires a capture card of some sort (Dazzle if you have money, easycap if you're a cheap *** with only 15 dollars to your name and just want something that records)and a computer (usually a laptop since you can take it places).

Vall3y

Smash Lord
What is the MBR Rule set? I saw that the match up chart was made considering wobbles is banned "according to the offical MBR rule set". I gave a quick ctrl+F search on the sticky threads couldn't find it. Are the rules in the back room? I'm assuming they aren't so where can I find them?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Wobbling isn't banned by MBR, its up to individual TOs.

The current rule set is stage striking with the following stages:

Starters
FoD
BF
YS
DL
FD

CP
RC
DK64
Poke Stad.
Brinstar

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Is there any way to use a Homebrewed Wii to use AR cheats on melee? I want to use debug mode without getting my cube out and going through that mess.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
get homebrew channel, download a AR iso from the net and burn it to a dvd, install GC-Backup Launcher and use it to load AR. Then insert your melee disc.

That should work, though i've never tried it.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Grab Invincibility Frames

Can someone tell me or link me a video showing when you get invincibility frames from throwing someone out of a grab?

I sometimes play chaotic FFAs and this would be a great help

Like for example, I main falcon so, when I'm grabbing somebody and I press down, do I get the frames at the beginning of the choke slam, middle, end or what?

Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me or link me a video showing when you get invincibility frames from throwing someone out of a grab?

I sometimes play chaotic FFAs and this would be a great help

Like for example, I main falcon so, when I'm grabbing somebody and I press down, do I get the frames at the beginning of the choke slam, middle, end or what?

Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated.
I've never heard of you ever having any invincibility frames from throws. If you do, it's news to me....

pockeystick

Smash Apprentice
why is so hard to l-cancel. Im shffling the way the guide told me but I still cant get more than 1 consecutive hits during each attack frame

BBQ°

Smash Champion
why is so hard to l-cancel. Im shffling the way the guide told me but I still cant get more than 1 consecutive hits during each attack frame
I find myself L-canceling more consistently when I don't press L all the way down. I just press it down slightly and the L-cancel still works the same. You should try the same if you're not already doing that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Practice practice practice. You can lcancel by pressing the button lightly and you can make multiple attempts for each move (unlike teching, where if you press L/R more than once, you won't tech)

in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G45_YqHpOU how did they use 2 tvs for the one game?
A/V splitters. One game cube, and each of the RWY plugs are connected to a female plug with two male outputs. This same method is used to record to a laptop while playing, in order to avoid lag. In order to record the game while splitting to two TVs, they probably used two sets of splitters, one to split the AVs to the laptop and another set to split the two TVs.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
It's better to use someone who has a huge difference between l-cancelled and non-l-cancelled aerials like ganon or bowser till you get the hang of it.

Then switch to your desired character.

Besides in training mode you can't use the c-stick anyways so... (unless you have AR)

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Yo, what's with people doing their ledge get-up attack rather than the ledgeroll when trying to edgeguard/hog a recovering opponent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHafKFQYaE4

I know it can reverse-ly knock your opponent back out there for another edgeguarding oppurtunity
like at this moment in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHafKFQYaE4#t=00m27s

but does doing the ledgeattack keep your opponent from grabbing the edge AND landing on the edge too?
like at this moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHafKFQYaE4#t=01m57
Or would the fox not have landed anyway?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you're holding the ledge the whole time you're doing the ledge attack, so it covers both the sweetspot and going onstage.

Plus its the ultimate taunt.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
you're holding the ledge the whole time you're doing the ledge attack, so it covers both the sweetspot and going onstage.

Plus its the ultimate taunt.
god****, so if they're barely going to make it, ledgeattack?
When did this started to be used?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
In the case of Marth it's because his ledge attack has much higher ledge occupancy (he's holding the ledge longer) than his normal getup, without having the tremendous lag that the roll has. Some other characters have good ledge attacks for this too (actually...most do)

So he's still covering the ledge, but the reverse hit ALSO prevents the opponent from landing on the stage. It's edgehogging 2.0. Very useful when you're not quite sure whether they can make it to the stage or not. Though, why he'd do it for spacies idk (it's a little hard to time it perfectly to cover all their options. Ledgehopped aerials are so much easier and do the same thing), but it's really good against...other Marths, Links, Samus, ect.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
Two questions.
One, is there anything special I need to do to become a Tournament Organizer for my community, other than have the venue, setups, and schedule?
Two, I think I've discovered a new glitch, where would I post it?

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
In the case of Marth it's because his ledge attack has much higher ledge occupancy (he's holding the ledge longer) than his normal getup, without having the tremendous lag that the roll has. Some other characters have good ledge attacks for this too (actually...most do)

So he's still covering the ledge, but the reverse hit ALSO prevents the opponent from landing on the stage. It's edgehogging 2.0. Very useful when you're not quite sure whether they can make it to the stage or not. Though, why he'd do it for spacies idk (it's a little hard to time it perfectly to cover all their options. Ledgehopped aerials are so much easier and do the same thing), but it's really good against...other Marths, Links, Samus, ect.
so while Marth is ledgeattacking, the opponent literally cannot land on the top/tip of the stage where Marth is and thus falls to their death?

Top Bottom