• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Mystic83

Smash Rookie
forgive me if this is a dumb / well known / already asked question:

i know that the english and japanese sounds are different, especially with taunts (fox, for example)

are the additional languages in the PAL version also different? if so, does anyone know where i could find those sounds?

also forgive me if this is the wrong place for this

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Two questions.
One, is there anything special I need to do to become a Tournament Organizer for my community, other than have the venue, setups, and schedule?
Two, I think I've discovered a new glitch, where would I post it?
There's a program, called a seeder I think, that matches up people fairly. Like, no people from the same group or brothers fighting each other the first round. and like no regularly placing semi-finalist pros versus complete noobs first round. It takes the history data from other tourneys and sets up the brackets
It's optional though.
You might wanna try asking in the tournament section. haha

as for the glitch, if you've searched the forums and can't find an existing topic, here in the melee boards is a good place to post it.

megapup

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me where I can read a list of differences between the PAL and NTSC versions? or if there are only a few just tell me?

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Hey ppl! I have just started stepping up my game in Melee. And in countless vids i see of Melee matches, people get hit and about a half a second later, no matter what the move is, they can move around again. For me whenever i get hit, on most attacks, i usually have to wait about 2&1/2 seconds before i can do anything again. Can someone please answer how to get rid of that hitstun so quickly?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Meteor smashes gives you a lot of hitstun, and since you main Falco, being lightweight only contributes to the hitstun. There's no way around it asides from picking Bowser.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
yeah but i mean i've seen falcos get out of it. and they usually get hit up when they get out of it super quick. not like a major send u flying @ 120% thing but just like hitting them up a lil and watching them come down.. like when someone hits me @ 20% up i can't do anything except for when i'm about to hit the ground. and at that point what's there to do but tech?
And i will never choose Bowser thank you.

megapup

Smash Apprentice
hey! bowsers fine! lol try crouch cancelling, where you hold down on the control stick when they hit you

hemlock

Smash Cadet
Hi, new user here. I tried the search function, but as you can imagine, I kept getting an error message that my search request was too common.

I'm looking for a thread that discusses why people think brawl or melee is better.

Stev

Smash Ace
Hi, new user here. I tried the search function, but as you can imagine, I kept getting an error message that my search request was too common.

I'm looking for a thread that discusses why people think brawl or melee is better.
Common answers:

Barwl sucks!
Brawl is dumb!
Melee 4 life!
**** tripping!
Brawl is gay!
Melee is ****ing tight!
Melee takes skill
Brawl is like fighting underwater... it's ****ing slow...
Brawl haz no comboz
Melee isn't just fun to play, it's fun to watch
Melee is a better competitive game

Real answers:
There's no hit stun in brawl, which means you can't combo
Brawl is very unbalanced
Brawl is super floaty
Brawl has tripping
Brawl's auto ledge grabbing makes recovering WAY easier for every character, taking the skill out of recovering in general
Brawl promotes camping rather than aggression
Games take longer with less stocks

Melee is fast paced
It's all about teh comboz!
Tech skill becomes equally important as every other aspect of the game
Fun to watch as well as play
Much more epic
Much bigger momentum swings
Captain Falcon DOESN'T suck
Wombo Combo
The only thing that's boring is puff dittos

hemlock

Smash Cadet
OH GOD DREW, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Seriously...that's a terrible question to ask here XD!!!!
What did I say, What did I say????
:psycho:

I hear a lot about why Melee is better, I was just wondering what the proponents of Brawl had to say...

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
What did I say, What did I say????
:psycho:

I hear a lot about why Melee is better, I was just wondering what the proponents of Brawl had to say...
Then you're asking in the wrong thread :laugh:
There. That's what I was getting at XD

But just to squash it, I guess I'll answer, since I played Brawl competitively for a year.

-Brawl is a strategy game.

-There are no auto-combos (with a few exceptions...you know...like Snake's ftilt...into the second hit of ftilt >_>) so you're, instead, aiming to read your opponents' attempts at evading whatever you might follow up your attack with.

-some prefer that there are no auto-combos because they feel there is more merit in the ability to read your opponent in such a way as opposed to applying the mastery of a button combination [however this is a gross oversight of the depth of Melee and its combos being that they are DI, %, stage, and weight/character dependent]

-the patience and intelligence that can contribute to effective camping is noteworthy

Honestly, by the time I quit Brawl...I looked at the game to be like what a real fight would be like....

between two people who don't know how to fight.

The thing is that, just like in Melee, the highest level of Brawl cannot be achieved by simply exploiting a few characteristics of the game's design [namely camping]........but OMMMMMFGGGG it is FAR more rewarding in Brawl! Unreasonably so.

It's incredibly "easier" to yield positive results with less technical skill, understanding of the game, and match-up knowledge.

X1-12

Smash Champion
can you pivot jab and pivot F-tilt the same way you're initialy dashing eg

Run right hit left and jab straight away in the right frames, is there a way to make you jab to the right? when i do it i allways jab to the left cause i pressed that way to get the pivot, and can you do the same with F-tilt

EDIT: also can you like pivot up-tilt and D-tilt etc?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
can you pivot jab and pivot F-tilt the same way you're initialy dashing eg

Run right hit left and jab straight away in the right frames, is there a way to make you jab to the right? when i do it i allways jab to the left cause i pressed that way to get the pivot, and can you do the same with F-tilt

EDIT: also can you like pivot up-tilt and D-tilt etc?
The point of pivoting is to turn around to space a move. If you try to turn around again after the pivot to face the way you were dashing you'll only waste time in the standard turning animation.

If you really want to do this the best way is just to dashdance once and pivot towards the direction you were initially dashing. It's usually better and easier just to crouch cancel your dash into a jab or a tilt.

Lovage

Smash Hero
The point of pivoting is to turn around to space a move. If you try to turn around again after the pivot to face the way you were dashing you'll only waste time in the standard turning animation.

If you really want to do this the best way is just to dashdance once and pivot towards the direction you were initially dashing. It's usually better and easier just to crouch cancel your dash into a jab or a tilt.
no cuz u can't "crouch cancel your dash" during the initial dash. that's the point of pivoting, it gives you the freedom to do attacks in the short space of your initial dash without wasting time on a wavedash or something.

i do pivot turnaround jabs in this part of my vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0#t=2m24s

pivot turnaround ftilt is possible but pretty tough. you have to be very delicate with your timing.

X1-12

Smash Champion
0.0 Lovage...

also is there an easy way to pivot F-tilt? i can't do it either way when i pivot f-smash i just dash one way then smash A + the opposite direction and for jabs I hit one direction then the other then let go and press A but I can't get pivot F-tilt more than 1 in 20 tries

also when is lovage+SW coming out?

Stev

Smash Ace
So with fox to drill to grab, for it to connect successfully I've been told the opposing character has to do a sort of flip animation. What causes this animation to occur?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Fox's dair doesn't give you that, Falco's does, it happens when they're too low of a percent to fall over/tumble, but ensures that they're stuck in hitstun...but Fox's drill justs pins you down.

Grab doesn't combo, but some people are slow enough that you may get away with it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
0.0 Lovage...

also is there an easy way to pivot F-tilt? i can't do it either way when i pivot f-smash i just dash one way then smash A + the opposite direction and for jabs I hit one direction then the other then let go and press A but I can't get pivot F-tilt more than 1 in 20 tries

also when is lovage+SW coming out?
just practice practice practice

focus on the moment your stick passes neutral and press A. the timing is very strict.

Fox's dair doesn't give you that, Falco's does, it happens when they're too low of a percent to fall over/tumble, but ensures that they're stuck in hitstun...but Fox's drill justs pins you down.

Grab doesn't combo, but some people are slow enough that you may get away with it.
dair does combo in to grab, but its pretty iffy and you gotta have very good timing. the "flipping over" thing does happen with fox's drill, as well as puff's drill (which is the only way to combo drill to rest. to make this combo easier you should try to hit with a kick of the drill right before you hit the ground. the flipping over thing also helps, i think it happens to lighter characters more and at different/better percents.

drill to grab is very good vs. puff

Magus420

Smash Master
Pivoting f-tilt is a lot easier if you release the stick completely to neutral between doing the dash and pressing the other way to do the pivot. The stick is a lot less sensitive to registering it as a smash input when coming from neutral. As long as you don't press it so fast so that you go from neutral to like 2/3 to the side in a single frame it will never register as a smash in this situation even if you press A for the tilt with the stick fully to the side.

So you press the direction for the dash, release the stick to neutral, then press the other direction at a moderate speed and time A for the tilt. If you dash attack in the original dash's direction you pressed A too soon, if you dash attack after the turn you pressed it too late, and if you pivot f-smash you're moving the stick too fast.

TheLake

Smash Master
Magus is it true zelda can be invincible while stalling with her Up-B?

Like if your on brinstar, you can stall indefinately and the lave wont even hurt you

Is this true?

If so im having trouble understanding the timing...

Magus420

Smash Master
Yes she can. There are LOTS of theoretical fully invincible stalls (most being ledgehop reverse waveland to fastfalls), but ALL of them except for Sheik and Mewtwo's up-bs have 0 room for any error, as those ones have invincibility on the move itself during the regrab period. IIRC Peach is the only character in the game without one, though she can get one invincible regrab by using her float.

To regrab while keeping full invincibility you just need to let go of the edge at the very 1st moment you are allowed, and then be within edge grab range while not moving upwards when the regrab delay ends (time between you release and are allowed to grab an edge again). The duration of inv you get from the edge is the exact same amount as the ledge grab lag + the regrab delay, which I doubt is coincidental. For each frame you stay holding the edge longer than is required it is another frame you will be vulnerable before you can regrab.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How would ness do one?

And is marth's really possible, because i never am able to waveland with full invincibility with him. Will you simply have invincibility long enough to get back to edge?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Im starting to hit more and more l cancels but the problem is once i hit someone with a fair make the l cancel i have almost no idea what to do after that jab? grab up b and when i land a successfull bair all i can think to do up smash any comments on follow ups after Aerials and whats one of the best things u can land to start a good combo? and combos that end with gimps? and also cannot land the double bair followed by the nair that i c germ land all the time.
and how good it bomg to grab? if the bomb hits a shield is it a good idea to grab them while theyre in the stun? im playing link i was on the link boards but i think people are getting annoyed i ask alot of questions is there a certain place to go for finding link answers

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
How would ness do one?

And is marth's really possible, because i never am able to waveland with full invincibility with him. Will you simply have invincibility long enough to get back to edge?

As for wavelanding with invincibility, the main problem people have is not letting go fast enough. Another problem people have, is that they fast fall when letting go of the ledge. For some characters this isn't a big deal, but for Marth who has a relatively slow jump it really makes a difference (since nobody jumps frame perfectly after letting go of the ledge <_<).

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Im starting to hit more and more l cancels but the problem is once i hit someone with a fair make the l cancel i have almost no idea what to do after that jab? grab up b and when i land a successfull bair all i can think to do up smash any comments on follow ups after Aerials and whats one of the best things u can land to start a good combo? and combos that end with gimps? and also cannot land the double bair followed by the nair that i c germ land all the time.
and how good it bomg to grab? if the bomb hits a shield is it a good idea to grab them while theyre in the stun? im playing link i was on the link boards but i think people are getting annoyed i ask alot of questions is there a certain place to go for finding link answers
All of this is seriously dependent on DI and percentage.

I suppose you're asking about Link, try heading to the Link boards and ask them about follow-ups for your lead-ins. You'll also find a very detailed guide in this link.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250071

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
As for wavelanding with invincibility, the main problem people have is not letting go fast enough. Another problem people have, is that they fast fall when letting go of the ledge. For some characters this isn't a big deal, but for Marth who has a relatively slow jump it really makes a difference (since nobody jumps frame perfectly after letting go of the ledge <_<).
I can do sheik's waveland->invincible ftilt 100% consistent, is the jump timing really much more sensitive for marth?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Yes it is, simply because Marth's jump is slow, which is eating away at your invincibility (and the farther down you go before jumping, the more time is wasted going back up. That's why either making sure to jump IMMEDIATELY or NOT fast falling is important).

That...and Marth doesn't have very many quick ground moves when compared to someone like Fox or Sheik. So that's yet another factor eating away at your invincibility.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
can't you invincible grab with Marth?
You can't just drop and regrab invincibility no, his time going up on his double jump is too long and won't let you regrab before invincibility wears. It is relatively safe though, which is why most people do it.

You might be able to do it with ledgehopping a waveland fastfall since that possibly shortens the the jump time. But I do not know if it's possible.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Is there any instance where a downsmash pivot is better than a fsmash pivot?
I've gotten very consistent with pivoting both (about 95%) but it seems fsmash just has more uses.
Characters like Fox/Falcon/Falco? (since obviously for character like Peach/Sheik a dsmash is a better choice)

The only instance I can see is if you predict the roll but other than that...

Also, when I play melee for like a half hour my eyes get really out of focus. I have to start squinting for maybe 15-30 minutes after I stop playing before my eyesight becomes normal.
It's always been like this (for melee anyways, not with any other game) so does anyone else have this problem?

Oddly enough, when I go to a smashfest and play for like 6+ hours my eyes don't do this.

X1-12

Smash Champion
as fox/falco/falcon i'd rather do a d-smash against some characters with bad horizontal recovery eg marth/roy/doc etc but its kinda situational

and does anyone know the best way to SDI out of link's and samus's up+B i generally hold down, or maybe down and away

wiitubeaccount

Smash Apprentice
samus is highest in the mid tier, yet i haven't seen a dominant samus player similar to kage or linguini for ganon or hmw or boss for dr.mario any reason why?

Top Bottom