• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I mistake lots of things.

I mixed up platform and ledge.

Someone asked how to deal with ledge camping and I was like "camp the higher ledge" and people were like XD XD XD lololololo.

I thought edge and ledge had a difference.

I argued with some about edge and ledge that he was wrong and I was definitely not a noobcake.

I mix up cardigan and cashmere.

It's cool, we're all here to learn.

But that's good that you already knew about SDI, it took me awhile to understand what it was exactly. I had a lot of misconceptions about it until Cactuar set me straight.

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
i really need help moonwalking and putting shffl comboes together after i shuffle a attack what is my next step. For example if a used nair with fox what would be my next step to do. do i wave dash after shffl attacks or continue with another one figuring this out will really improve my game

X1-12

Smash Champion
i really need help moonwalking and putting shffl comboes together after i shuffle a attack what is my next step. For example if a used nair with fox what would be my next step to do. do i wave dash after shffl attacks or continue with another one figuring this out will really improve my game
Give up trying to moonwalk, atleast for the moment, and if you SHFFL a n-air with fox then if they're on low % try to run after them and do another one, try looking on the fox boards for some good combo ideas

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Depending on how high the nair sends them, you could jab, u-tilt, or even nair again. You could shine, but don't WD since they can grab you before you do anything.

Pi

Smash Hero
foxes nair is broken in terms of comboing
leads into almost every other one of his moves depending on DI at the right %
you can nair to nair to follow up
nair to fair to follow up
nair to weak bair to follow up
nair to shine to shinedash to follow up
nair to grab to follow up
pretty ridiculous
falco's is also pretty good but fox's nair coupled with his speed makes his better imo

i wouldn't devote a ****ton of time to learning to moowalk, juss practice it every so often, change up the timings that you do things, eventually you'll find the right timing.

Pi

Smash Hero
when i play fox i just keep nairing and tech chase with nair. its pretty fun to press buttons.
I nair shine until it stops hitting, then i nair to nair, then i drill shine, or something, doesn't matter i'm fox, i do what i want and don't get punished for it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the funniest thing is when you have a character that can be waveshined horribly, you techchase everything with waveshines. when they get caught in it you waveshine them to the edge and dsmash then shine spike them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Why we use 4 stocks is sort of a history lesson.

back when the game was released there was 2 major scenes, EC and WC (sound familiar?)

EC used 5 stocks no items

WC used 3 stocks and items

eventually, there was lots of debating and they ended up compromising on no items 4 stocks.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Why we use 4 stocks is sort of a history lesson.

back when the game was released there was 2 major scenes, EC and WC (sound familiar?)

EC used 5 stocks no items

WC used 3 stocks and items

eventually, there was lots of debating and they ended up compromising on no items 4 stocks.
were there any items tourneys in WC? cause i can't find any item matches on youtube, if there were can you give me a name so i can search it?

also the sheild drop, i'm understanding you do this by shielding and gently pressing sideways then do a quarter circle down, A) is this right and B) is there an easy way to practise this

Stev

Smash Ace
What's the fastest way to break out of a grab? I though I heard somewhere that pressing R AND L is useless because they count as 1 input, and same w/ C stick and control stick.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
A/L/R all every as one unput and it takes a number of dpins to count as so much so spin stick and mash R and A. I read something about it in m2k's guide.

Also B amd the C-stick doesn't count

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
in 1.0, moves that do less than 1% don't have hitstun and therefore can't be SDI'd

the only move off the top of my head that does that is zelda's usmash but theres probably more.

as for grab escape:

-----Press A, B, L, R, X, Y, or Z - 6 frames is reduced from the time you'd be held in a grab.

-----Press The Analog stick in 1 of the 4 cardinal directions(angles don't count) - 6 frames is reduced from the time you're held in a grab (24 frames is reduced after 1 complete rotation of the analog stick, so 2 and 1/2 rotations reduces the time by 1 second).
C-Stick is the only one that doesn't effect escape

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
someone told me the best way to get out of a grab was to rotate the stick and with your right thumb slide it over x a b really fast and then hit L and R too probably...

FROM PURDUE UNIVERSITY

PRESENTS

Tournament Organizers:
CunningKitsune
'Fro

UPCOMING EVENTS:
- SSBO XXXIX: February 13
- SSBO XL: February 27
- SSBO XLI: March 13
- SSBO XLII: March 27
- SSBO XLIII: April 10
- SSBO XLIIII: April 24

Venue:
Tarkington Hall TV Lounge
1165 W. Stadium Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47906

Time:
11 am-12:00 pm Sign-ups/warm-up, Doubles starts 12 pm, Singles shortly thereafter
Singles - $5
Doubles - $10 per team

Prizes are based on the pot created by the entry fee:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

If a very small amount of people enter, prize pay-out will be determined by the TOs at the start

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
someone told me the best way to get out of a grab was to rotate the stick and with your right thumb slide it over x a b really fast and then hit L and R too probably...
If you do that you're going to mess up your DI if you get thrown before you break free though.
It's best just to mash away with the your right hand I think.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Whenever I grab, I listen for mashing, if I don't hear squat, then...

pummel...pummel...pummel...pummel...pummel...

You should focus more on DI, since that's way more important, but at least make it seem like you're trying by just hitting some buttons, so you don't gain like 20% from one grab.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Let if pikachu grabs you he can rack up a lot of damage also I like the random di sometimes. and I may di left as I move it in a qyarter circle like try to di and reak out at the same time.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
um what m2's or roys? they can rack up a lot of damage at high percents ness isn't as good of a pummeler. really there are only like 5 throws that could kill my themselfs.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Oh I meant that random DI on things like Peach's f-throw or M2's u throw at lethal %'s wouldn't be smart compared to doing it on CG-esque throws.

Melee Intro Vids

I'm new to melee and I'd like to know if there are any good videos that give a nice, fresh introduction to melee which covers most general ATs with a few tactics?

I'm COMPLETELY new to melee except I just haven't unlocked a few chars yet. I hope to main Falco, Marth or Fox (they're broken and I love em!).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE hey this guy needs to be told really good habits like when when teching try to randomly tech like if falcon d-throws you hit your stick left and right randomly and they won't be able to predict your techs.

I as in I think everyone should play as at least one of the not half top of the list not saying you have to play freakin kirby but one of the lower people it helps you a lot sometimes like I learned how to play as fox by playing as pichu like I learned how to waveshine and all of that crap.

ENjoy your game it's pretty hard at first but everything will because easy after so long

TresChikon

Smash Lord
1. Wak's Advanced How to Play Videos
Videos showing how to play Smash beyond what the creators intended.

Can be found in AlphaZealot's thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Advanced How to Play: Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
Advanced How to Play: Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&mode=related&search=
Advanced How to Play: Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&mode=related&search=

2. Melee Master Guide - New to the Game? Check here!
This one will tell you all about the single player stuff to the game. Unlocking stuff, mainly.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94511

X1-12

Smash Champion
whats the deal with catching via doing an air dodge? do you have to air dodge through the item or press the air dodge just as its about to hit you?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm new to melee and I'd like to know if there are any good videos that give a nice, fresh introduction to melee which covers most general ATs with a few tactics?

I'm COMPLETELY new to melee except I just haven't unlocked a few chars yet. I hope to main Falco, Marth or Fox (they're broken and I love em!).
You're the dude who broke his brawl disk! LOL I love you and your name xD.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
whats the deal with catching via doing an air dodge? do you have to air dodge through the item or press the air dodge just as its about to hit you?
You're in the wrong forum. *Points to Brawl section*

Top Bottom