• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Recovery tier list.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
:snake: Stop making your own lists. We here for one list alone, also give reasons behind your opinions.

Shredding

Smash Rookie
Quoted from above

Rank S:
Metaknight
Rob
Kirby

Rank A:
Jigglypuff
Pikachu
Sonic
Pit
Zamus
Wolf

Rank B:
G&W
Fox
Falco
Charizard
Toon Link
Ike

Rank C:
Samus
Luigi
Marth
Squirtle
Yoshi
Sheik
Zelda
Peach
Wario
DK
Lucario
Diddy Kong

Rank D:
Ice Climbers
Bowser
Link
Mario
Olimar
King Dedede

Rank F:
Ganondorf
Snake
Captain Falcon
Ivysaur

Are u F**king ********? therse something wrong when ike is so high up and how the hell did wario get so low? he easily has top 10 possibly top 5 recoveries in the game. man what **** are you smoking. snake should definetly not be so low
how the hell is link so high up he should be in rank f easily
olimar should be in rank f
sonic so high? I don't think so.
King Dedede rank D. Your high on crack bro

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Wario doesn't purposely leave his bike on the stage, don't take me for a scrub just because I am trolling, if wario uses his bike to get back, and then gets hit back off within seconds of making it back, his bike is still not available before he falls to his death, so maybe you can try thinking of other things I may mean rather than assuming I am talking about something that doesn't happen (competitively)
Jiggs, touches the edge she gets her recovery back, wario doesn't

Try using that intelligence you claim to have.
once again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're dumb. Be less of a little ***** in the future.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Can I ask why everyone considers Peach so low and Zamus so high?
Peach has terrible vertical recovery.

ZSS can jump, upB for extra jump range, downB and footstool the person edgehogging her. Also, her tether has ridiculous range, and the sideB stagespikes people who try to hog you.

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
I mainly agree with the recovery tier PKNintendo posted, except that Mr. Game and Watch has better recovery than Wario, so Mr. Game and Watch should be in the top rank. Wario can go down a couple stops.

And Yoshi may need to go down a couple notches, his recovery can be easily halted by other fighters.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
G&W>Wario

Wario's NEEDS his bike and fully charged fart to be good. If it isn't 2min+ or he left his bike he's screwed.

Levitas

the moon
He needs his bike. His fart is ok, but is better served for edgeguarding or combos.

There really aren't many times that you'll see a bike on the stage. That basically means the wario was using it aggressively which is a bad idea too.

Game and watch as some invincibility frames, but has to parachute down if he's not already right next to the stage. And being above the enemy is bad, even with a Dair like his.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I don't understand how Marth is so low on the list..... (Side B, Standard B, Up B is epic, and down B all help with his recovery)
Down B helps him get back to the stage? I don't think so. Marth is easily gimped, side B and standard B are only good for diagnol recovery.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Down B helps him get back to the stage? I don't think so. Marth is easily gimped, side B and standard B are only good for diagnol recovery.
Side B is for vertical recovery... <_< And how is he easily gimped? He can throw out a few fairs and still recover...

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Mario's recovery is NOT better than Marth's since Marth has Shieldbreaker.
Mario has his cape too.

Rank S
Metaknight
Rob
Wario

Rank A
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Lucas
Pikachu
Sonic
King DDD
Game and Watch

Rank B
Pit
Toon Link
Luigi
Fox
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Charizard
ZSS

Rank C
Zelda
Snake
Princess Peach
Sheik
Samus
Falco
Yoshi
Squirtle
DK

Rank D
Ness
Mario
Captain Falcon
Marth
Wolf
Ike

Rank E
Bowser
Link
Ivysaur
Olimar
Ganondorf

Open to change.
I fixed it for you.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Peach has terrible vertical recovery.

ZSS can jump, upB for extra jump range, downB and footstool the person edgehogging her. Also, her tether has ridiculous range, and the sideB stagespikes people who try to hog you.
Very valid points indeed.

On the other hand, Peach has incredible horizontal recovery with her Floating, her 2nd jump has very good aerial control, Toad can be used to stop gimping and agressive edgeguarders (ask anyone who's fought me), Peach Bomber has great horiztonal range and her Up + B (Parasol) means she isn't fast falling and can move back and forth. It's also got some insane priority.

However (this is a real kick in the nuts) Peach is the only character who can't grab the ledge facing away from it in her Up + B state (you have to close the Parasol before you can do that)

I still stand by what I say when I think Peach could easily be in B rank...or at least above Fox and Lucario. Her vertical recovery isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Imo, her 2nd jump's height and Up + B's height have swapped places coming from Melee to Brawl

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
On the other hand, Peach has incredible horizontal recovery with her Floating, her 2nd jump has very good aerial control, Toad can be used to stop gimping and agressive edgeguarders (ask anyone who's fought me), Peach Bomber has great horiztonal range and her Up + B (Parasol) means she isn't fast falling and can move back and forth. It's also got some insane priority.
Knock Peach out when her float is gone. Peach Bomber lags.

However (this is a real kick in the nuts) Peach is the only character who can't grab the ledge facing away from it in her Up + B state (you have to close the Parasol before you can do that)
No, she's not the only one. Kirby and DeDeDe can't either. Kirby just can't, period. DeDeDe can't unless he cancels his Up B. But since you count Peach having to fold her parasol as "She can't do it", then D3 can't either.

I still stand by what I say when I think Peach could easily be in B rank...or at least above Fox and Lucario. Her vertical recovery isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Imo, her 2nd jump's height and Up + B's height have swapped places coming from Melee to Brawl
She's not bad, but her 2nd jump gimps her considerably, especially when most characters have some immensely good 2nd jumps.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Ah...my first multi quote from Yuna on how wrong I am...I finally feel a part of the SmashBoards community

I'm an 08'er so I don't know can't multi quote :(
Knock Peach out when her float is gone. Peach Bomber lags.

No, she's not the only one. Kirby and DeDeDe can't either. Kirby just can't, period. DeDeDe can't unless he cancels his Up B. But since you count Peach having to fold her parasol as "She can't do it", then D3 can't either.

She's not bad, but her 2nd jump gimps her considerably, especially when most characters have some immensely good 2nd jumps.
Peach loses her float when she get's hit but all characters lose their jumps when they are hit. Whilst Jigglypuff has multiple jumps, Lucas has PK Thunder and Falco (who has excellent jumps but somewhat poor recovery), should this not affect characters such as these? I realise this will affect Peach more than most characters but as I've said before, characters '3rd jump' will have a big impact on this list as they are regained when hit, whereas jumps are not

I know DeDeDe can't grab ledges in his Up + B state but I wasn't aware that Kirby couldn't grab the ledge backwards in his Up + B state. My apologies on that part

Perhaps middle/lower B rank would suit Peach best.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach loses her float when she get's hit but all characters lose their jumps when they are hit. Whilst Jigglypuff has multiple jumps, Lucas has PK Thunder and Falco (who has excellent jumps but somewhat poor recovery), should this not affect characters such as these? I realise this will affect Peach more than most characters but as I've said before, characters '3rd jump' will have a big impact on this list as they are regained when hit, whereas jumps are not
My point is that without her float, she's pretty badly off now since her 2nd jump is literally manure. Not everyone has horrible horizontal reach on their 2nd jumps.

Snail

Smash Lord
Peach's horizontal recovery isn't quite as much an issue as her vertical recovery. Horizontally you'll pretty much always make it back, but if you lose too much height it's basically impossible to make it back :/

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
It gives him more air time which helps him to get back on stage.
Your forward momentum stops as well, if it even does help marth recover it's barely at all.

Btw I dont think Marth should be so low, it's actually really hard to gimp a marth who knows what hes doing. His recovery is just really straight forward though, which is bad.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
My point is that without her float, she's pretty badly off now since her 2nd jump is literally manure. Not everyone has horrible horizontal reach on their 2nd jumps.
I completely agree on that part and I understand that getting hit out of her 'jump' will affect her far more than any of the characters I mention. I still personally prefer having a better Up + B than 2nd jump now. Her 2nd jump to me now is a spacing tool
Right I'm going to stop comparing her stuff from Melee now :laugh:

After my last posts and some thought, I think if we are going to conjure up a recovery tier list, we need to actually get all available information on every character and their options instead of telling each other off and spouting out all we know

By doing this, we can come to a conclusion of what's good/bad about the recovery, where it works best/worst, how it fares against other recoveries and how easily gimped/stopped it is. Also, which do people consider to be better? Horizontal recovery or vertical recovery? That will also have a big effect on this list

I'll try starting things off...

Peach

What has she got?:
2nd jump
Ability to Float across in a straight, horizontal line for 3-4 seconds. Can be moved backwards and forward and can be activated during her 2nd jump as well
Peach Bomber which sends her horizontally in the given direction (can only be left or right)
Toad. When using Toad for the first time in the air, Peach 'bounces' upwards slightly (I'm very certain she falls down and returns to the same vertical height as she was before when she puts Toad back in). Toad also moves you forwards slightly depending on which way you are falling
Up + B which is a Parasol. Peach pulls out her Parasol which sends her upwards at an angle. You can slightly alter the angle she goes up with DI

Pros:
Horizontal recovery is excellent and very versatile combined with Floating, her 2nd jump, Peach Bomber and Toad
Toad can negate nearly all aggresive attempts to edgeguard her
Parasol whilst open makes her fall very slowly
Parasol has excellent priority
2nd jump has good air control
Parasol hits can stop edgeguarders

Cons:
Vertical recovery is somewhat poor
Floating can only be used once in the air. Peach must land on the ground again in order to regain her float
Moving backwards and forwards is really the only thing Peach can do to 'avoid' attacks whilst Floating
Peach only gets one Toad 'bounce' in the air (she has to land to get it again)
Using Toad to counter attack's makes Peach drop down more than she would if attacks didn't connect. Activating the counter also stops her movement
2nd Jump has the shortest vertical gain in the game
If timed correctly, Peach's Up + B can be edgeguarded and snapping to the ledge will not occur when the Parasol knocks the edgeguarder off because Peach will be too far below
Peach Bomber is somewhat uncontrollable and has noticable ending lag
Peach cannot ledge grab backwards whilst her Parasol is still open. She has to close her Parasol (which takes some time) to grab the ledge

Hive

Smash Lord
I know samus is my main so I'm prone to bias... but I'm pretty positive she needs to be higher on the list :/
she can bomb jump and use single bombs for horizontal movement without using her up any of her jumps.... her tether is one of the longer ones in the game... and her up B is pretty solid...
she can even go around the bottom of fd if timed right with two bomb jumps, a jump, and then a screw attack.... (not useful... but still an example of how much range her recovery has...)
I think people underestimate her bombs in recovery...

_clinton

Smash Master
Cons:
Vertical recovery is somewhat poor
Somewhat poor...it is the 3rd worse in the game...

She ties with Ivysaur's total length (not counting the rope of course)

Olimar is right next to her total distance wise...and a Solo Ice Climber is the thing that is in last place

I think people underestimate her bombs in recovery...
Yes they do...a single one gives her the same horizontal range as her 2nd jump pretty much according to my tests...

Still sure Ness should be a bit higher...to C...D is way off

Gindler

Smash Champion
Lucas is too high, people say you can't break his pkt...well you've obviously never seen a yoshi throw an egg then it's extremely easy to break the pkt if you have an aimable projectile (pit, ness, lucas, yoshi, and peach come to mind).

Oh and bowser so far below DK? they both have pretty much the same recovery, well maybe not but they're recovery moves are frightingly similar.

I think samus needs to be higher, she is extremely hard to gimp with bombs, extremely long tether, and the insane priority on her screw attack is just icing on the cake. I honestly think she has one of the best recoveries

Oh and yoshi below zelda? that's a bit of a stretch, zelda's recovery is poor to say the least, sure yoshi's isn't the best without his second jump but nine times out of ten if he gets knocked off the stage he'll have his second jump. Heck I've recovered many times without having to jump or use my egg toss due to his insane aerial speed.

IDK just opinions

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh and yoshi below zelda? that's a bit of a stretch, zelda's recovery is poor to say the least, sure yoshi's isn't the best without his second jump but nine times out of ten if he gets knocked off the stage he'll have his second jump. Heck I've recovered many times without having to jump or use my egg toss due to his insane aerial speed.
Zelda's 2nd jump is quite good in Brawl (not among the best) and she always has Up B... which has frightening range (and can be canceled for negligible lag). It's also an attack both on vanish and reappearance, thus, can break edgehogs if you aim slightly above the ledge to allow for some time to fall.

Yoshi's got, what, 2nd jump? Yeah, whack him out of it and then what does he have?

Peach

What has she got?:
2nd jump

Pros:
2nd jump has good air control
She's got the what now with the what now?

Hive

Smash Lord
Yuna's right... in my expperience Zelda is nearly impossible to stop from recovering...
unless you somehow gimp her before her tele-recovery... which happens about never... lol
her teleport has great range, and an ending hitbox... and her aerials are pretty devastating....
I'm not sure how she got to c rank at least.... imo

ps...probably a dumb question-um... I was wondering if someone could help me understand the difference between toon link's and link's recoveries.... I see they are suggested to be 4 ranks apart... but I can't quite figure out what would do that... ; ;

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yuna's right... in my expperience Zelda is nearly impossible to stop from recovering...
unless you somehow gimp her before her tele-recovery... which happens about never... lol
her teleport has great range, and an ending hitbox... and her aerials are pretty devastating....

Even though she has incredible range and is difficult to gimp. The trajectory of her recovery is heavily based upon her placement away from the stage. So while she has 8 different directions the ones that are viable aren't exactly safe.

you won't be gimped but you also have to worry about what will happen if your opponent forces you from going for the ledge.
ps...probably a dumb question-um... I was wondering if someone could help me understand the difference between toon link's and link's recoveries.... I see they are suggested to be 4 ranks apart... but I can't quite figure out what would do that... ; ;
TL:Much more distance. Predictable trajectory.
Link: Crap distance predictable trajectory.

Either way he shouldn't be near poor Link.

CR4SH

Smash Lord

Tlink, first and foremost, has much much better aerial mobility than link. On top of that he has quite a bit more vertical range on his upb. And probably a few gimmicks I don't know lol.

_clinton

Smash Master
Lucas is too high, people say you can't break his pkt...well you've obviously never seen a yoshi throw an egg then it's extremely easy to break the pkt if you have an aimable projectile (pit, ness, lucas, yoshi, and peach come to mind).
Lucas is high for a number of reasons really

1. Great 2nd jump...Lucas falls faster then Ness does...however Lucas moves through the air faster then Ness does
2. PSI magnet for stalling his fall
3. Tether...a good one actually...which is longer then Link's or Tink's (in fact I'm almost certain it is close to Samus') and it clings to the ledge apon activation pretty much...what I mean is...the hanging rope snake is shorter then the actual snake rope is :laugh:)
4. Zap Jump (uses 2nd jump to use)
5. Magnet pull (based off how you are moving)
6. And then PK Thunder

Not just PK Thunder...oh and hitting the head will break the thunder...hitting the tail breaks the egg...it's the same with Ness...their tails both have Zair priority levels (along with their B moves...but this is about recovery now isn't it :laugh:)

Comparing their Thunder2's though...Lucas' has insane priority levels through the entire move...Ness only has insane priority levels at the start...

Oh and bowser so far below DK? they both have pretty much the same recovery, well maybe not but they're recovery moves are frightingly similar.
DK has SA frames IIRC when he starts to use his 3rd jump...or was it the other type of frame? Anyway he has something on there...however DK travels horizontally pretty far overall...Bowser has good range to...but...their vertical distance is about the same pretty much (Bowser goes a small amount higher...but it isn't like their horizontal distance)

That is why DK is better then Bowser...oh and because DK has more control in the air as well

I think samus needs to be higher, she is extremely hard to gimp with bombs, extremely long tether, and the insane priority on her screw attack is just icing on the cake. I honestly think she has one of the best recoveries
Thank you...another person who is saying Samus is good...

Hive

Smash Lord
right... well I figure Toon link had more range....
I just didn't know it would account for that much of a difference...

edit* @shadowlink/Cr4sh-- thanx for the info... ^^

_clinton

Smash Master
right... well I figure Toon link had more range....
I just didn't know it would account for that much of a difference...
Oh it does...in one of my horizontal recovery tests from a low plane (however I'm changing the test now just to let you know) Tink was able to fly 10 horizontal blocks just using his basic stuff...Link only did it for 7...to compare Pikachu went for only a bit more (10.5)

However using their best stuff...Link was able to get 10 (however it was very hard...note that when a bomb goes off...don't up B right away...you won't move horizontally at all ok)
Tink was able to get 13...and Pikachu was able to get 14...

I can show you this test if you want to see it...

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Wario's recovery is circumstantial, and DDD's jumps are tiny, which leads me to think they are a little too high. Also Luca's placement is a little too high for me.

Hive

Smash Lord
@clinton-- oh no :) I'm not arguing tlink's recovery isn't better... I just didn't understand it at first
again thnx for info

Gindler

Smash Champion
Zelda's 2nd jump is quite good in Brawl (not among the best) and she always has Up B... which has frightening range (and can be canceled for negligible lag). It's also an attack both on vanish and reappearance, thus, can break edgehogs if you aim slightly above the ledge to allow for some time to fall.

Yoshi's got, what, 2nd jump? Yeah, whack him out of it and then what does he have?

She's got the what now with the what now?
True, she always has it, but her teleport is fairly easy to spike (or merely just attack). and I'm sure most zelda mains will agree how very predictable her recovery is. You have a choice of getting in close and doing it to try to avoid getting hit in free fall but risk getting his during teleport or from far away to avoid getting hit during teleport but risk getting hit during free fall.

Yeah yoshi's got just his second jump for vertical recovery, he doesn't even need it for horizontal though, it's not exactly easy to hit a yoshi out of a DJ unless he's at higher percents either. He might still have a better horizontal recovery than zelda if they both don't have their second jump

as I said before too, just opinions from experiences.

Pretty sure Yoshi's second jump has SAF so you can't knock him out of it. =/
Nah, just heavy armor that starts to deteriorate at higher percents or some wierd thing like that

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Wario, does NOT have the third best recovery in the game. I'd switch Kirby and Jigglypuff (Rising pound plus better horizontal recovery, and Kirby is a bit easier to gimp) put Snake much higher, Cypher plus C4 equals one of best recoveries in game.
So is the C4 self destruct in attempting this lol. Its situational and not always the best option.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong's recovery tools:
second jump
side b - don't activate the kick if you want to use barrels also
reverse b - Diddy gets a little momentum from firing a charged peanut
b up - can be aimed to create a parabolic trajectory. charging it will allow you to cover insane distances. also if you are hit while still charging, you cannot be stagespiked due to strange physics properties of the move.

I'd say he needs to be moved up.

Top Bottom