• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Recovery tier list.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm sensing a lack of good Marth/Ike experience if this list puts them at the bottom of D rank recovery. Both have decent recoveries, mid C rank.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
This post wins.

Also, I think Pit might be a little higher, unless you are factoring in spikeability during recovery. In that case, yeah, he is where he oughta be... For some reason it's easy for me to meteor a recovering Pit. Well, maybe those Pits were beginners or something... Also, why is Wario so high? His Crokscrew doesn't take him very far... And his Bike is good, but I don't think it's that good. It's sorta slow, so it might be intercepted.
Aerial mobility is amazing.

I suppose Peach should move up too. Zelda has 16 directions on her Up B, it's pretty versatile.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
wario is DEFINITELY not third. swap with kirby.

and snake, while having a gimpable recovery, is still A rank.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

and snake, while having a gimpable recovery, is still A rank.
(Looks at your main)

Slow aerials, grabs him out of upB or knocks cilper off. Plus slow and predictable.

Snake=Jigglypuff?

:snake: NO.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
What is so popular about Snakes recovery! Hey I've used it, and C4 cut into my HP so much, and it takes to much time, so Im easy pickings for anyone with a powerful aerial. And no matter how situational, grabbing Snake out of his C4 can lead to death.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Rank S
Metaknight
Rob
Wario

Rank A
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Lucas
Pikachu
King DDD
Game and Watch
Sonic

Rank B
Pit
Toon Link
Luigi
Fox
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Charizard
ZSS

Rank C
Zelda
Snake
Princess Peach

Sheik
Samus
Falco
Yoshi

Squirtle
DK

Rank D
Ness
Mario
Captain Falcon
Marth
Wolf
Ike

Rank E
Bowser
Link
Ivysaur
Olimar
Ganondorf

Open to change.

So, I think anything that is Green should be raised, and anything that is Orange should be lowered.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
People... Sonic is the only character other than MK that has four special moves that can be used for recovery. (if someone else has four specials that can be used for recovery, point me to him/her, and excuse me for my mistake).

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
...comments added

Rank S
Metaknight
Rob
Wario -> TOO HIGH!!!

Rank A
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Lucas -> TOO HIGH!!!
Pikachu
Sonic
King DDD
Game and Watch -> MUCH TOO LOW!!!

Rank B
Pit -> TOO HIGH!
Toon Link -> TOO LOW!
Luigi -> TOO HIGH
Fox -> MUUUUUUUUUCH TOO HIGH
Lucario -> OVER 9000 TIMES TOO HIGH
Diddy Kong -> A BIT TOO HIGH
Ice Climbers
Charizard
ZSS

Rank C
Zelda -> WAY TOO HIGH
Snake
Princess Peach
Sheik
Samus
Falco
Yoshi
Squirtle
DK

Rank D
Ness
Mario
Captain Falcon
Marth -> TOO LOW
Wolf -> TOO LOW
Ike -> MUCH TOO HIGH

Rank E
Bowser -> TOO LOW
Link
Ivysaur
Olimar -> BETTER THAN IVY
Ganondorf

Open to change.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
People... Sonic is the only character other than MK that has four special moves that can be used for recovery. (if someone else has four specials that can be used for recovery, point me to him/her, and excuse me for my mistake).
I guess you're going to have to count Marth. UpB is obvious, ShieldBreaker makes him lunge forward, counter and dancing blade can stall him in the air for a moment.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I truly believe that Ice Climbers should be moved in the spot just above Fox.

If there are floating in the air after an attack, they have the options of Belay and Squal Hammer. If the opponent ledge grabs, you can just squall hammer back up. Squall hammer gives maximum vertical recovery if you spam the B button while the attack is occurring and has maximum horizontal recovery if you spam it just enough so that they are floating completely horizontally.

If they are not ledge grabbing and are preparing for you to Squall hammer so they can spike/ attack or are jumping in to attack you in the air, you can just Belay since Nana is invincible during the path toward the edge and Belay has a freakishly long recovery. If the opponent gets in the way, he get's hit by an invincible Nana hitbox. Both recoveries cover the same horizontal and vertical distance provided that there is an edge nearby during the time of choosing which recovery to use.

These options can be picked much more liberally than Fox can since he is forced to use Up-B (which only has moderate recovery) when he is lower than the edge.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
ok to orginize this tier list. lets start at rank S and see how we do. I think rank s should be rob, jiggs MK, then snake. rob really does have the best recovery. it goes for suc ha long time and u can control it farely well. jiggs has like six jumps so thats really good. MK also ahs like six jumps plus his u[ b which can do some damage if gone against and snake has the cypher but isnt as good in horizontal air movement. and what in the world is wario doin in rank S???????????? thats like puttin yoshi on top tier

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I second this motion. Aerial hammer ne1?

And in regards to Lucas, when was the last time you saw somebody pull off the zap jump to magnet pull in battle?

To the people saying that G&W should be moved up:
Is his recovery better than Pikachu?
Sonic?
D3?
Pit?
Toon Link?
Luigi?

The answer to all of these is :snake:NO!

Except maybe TL. G&W>TL
Put G&W below Luigi, and TL below G&W

Amide

Smash Lord
You are my hero for understanding how Puff actually has one redeemable quality. Oh, I'd lower Wario.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I think Wario is fine up there. He has good vertical and horizontal recovery with the motorcycle.

If he used his motorcycle on the ground and left it there, that player has issues for using it as an approach(it's a terrible approach to use this as an attack. This only works as a good approach in real life) and for forgetting to not eat it afterwards. Most people use it for recovery .

J4pu

Smash Champion
LMFAO this thread is a joke, Samus and falco should be nowhere near each other.
you said snake's recovery is bad because his aerial movement is bad, while that may be true it has sh*t to do with recovery for the most part, recovery is your ability to get back after being knocked off, not who is good at fighting in the air.
Jiggs recovery will destroy wario even when he has his bike, the fact that his bike must be available itself should knock wario down quite a bit

We have a different thread for both aerial movement abilities and for horizontal and vertical recoveries, I am not going to go find them for you, they might be linked in gimpy's thread tho. Unlike your thread they actually used stats and testing to get their findings, not some rough estimate based off of personal experience, please don't ever make a thread as non-researched as this ever again

k thx bai

CR4SH

Smash Lord
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=JAKgwKLosm0

for reference

Luigi can fly.

Edit: because it rubbed me the wrong way.
Jiggs recovery will destroy wario even when he has his bike, the fact that his bike must be available itself should knock wario down quite a bit
Name me one wario that A) doesn't already know this B)ever, ever, ever leaves his bike on the stage? Thats right, you can't. (I don't play wario, I'm just intelligent)

Also, the horizontal movement threads are flawed because they don't take into account the affects of vertical movement on their tests.

Also, dumb and arrogant don't make a very good combination. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that you're dumb...and arrogant.

Edit again: Gheb, what part of luigi's recovery is too high? Not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to hear your opinion.

_clinton

Smash Master
... means just in the Rank
! means by 1
!! means by 2
!!! means by 3

Rank S
Metaknight
Rob
Wario -To high!

Rank A
Jigglypuff -To low!
Kirby
Lucas
Pikachu -To low...
Sonic -To low...
King DDD
Game and Watch

Rank B
Pit
Toon Link -To high!
Luigi
Fox
Lucario -To high!
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers -To high!
Charizard
ZSS -To high!

Rank C
Zelda
Snake
Princess Peach
Sheik -To Low!
Samus -To low!!
Falco
Yoshi -To low!
Squirtle -To High!
DK -To high!

Rank D
Ness -To low!
Mario
Captain Falcon
Marth
Wolf -To Low!
Ike

Rank E
Bowser -To Low...
Link
Ivysaur
Olimar -To Low...
Ganondorf

Open to change.
And in regards to Lucas, when was the last time you saw somebody pull off the zap jump to magnet pull in battle?
Please...I find Kirby just fine where he is...at A rank...

As far as Lucas goes...he has plenty more then that...

Magnet stall as well for one thing...in fact just stalling right can bump his 2nd jump up right...
A tether that is longer then Link's or Tink's (by a lot actually) and a 3rd jump that moves futher then Ness' by 1.5X as much overall according to my tests...

Plus because of how his 2nd jump is...he can has a very good air dodge overall if he is coming back...

J4pu

Smash Champion
Name me one wario that A) doesn't already know this B)ever, ever, ever leaves his bike on the stage? Thats right, you can't. (I don't play wario, I'm just intelligent)

Also, the horizontal movement threads are flawed because they don't take into account the affects of vertical movement on their tests.

Also, dumb and arrogant don't make a very good combination. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that you're dumb...and arrogant.
Wario doesn't purposely leave his bike on the stage, don't take me for a scrub just because I am trolling, if wario uses his bike to get back, and then gets hit back off within seconds of making it back, his bike is still not available before he falls to his death, so maybe you can try thinking of other things I may mean rather than assuming I am talking about something that doesn't happen (competitively)
Jiggs, touches the edge she gets her recovery back, wario doesn't

Try using that intelligence you claim to have.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There is NO WAY that wolf is lower than falco. Seriously, it's impossible. Wolf has more distance and a better sideB, the only problem is the crap sweetspot on upB. And wold has amazing aerial control too, as opposed to falco who can't move in the air for his life.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

To the people saying that G&W should be moved up:
Is his recovery better than Pikachu?
Sonic?
D3?
Pit?
Toon Link?
Luigi?

The answer to all of these is :snake:NO!

Except maybe TL. G&W>TL
Put G&W below Luigi, and TL below G&W
I loled at the Snake thing. But I agree, G&W recovery isn't all that.

Veril

Frame Savant
What I dislike is not the flames. It's that sense of superiority some of you try to convey. I don't mind criticisms, but enough is enough. And also, criticize and leave tid bits K? Lest you want to look like an ***. Oh wait, everyone here strives to look like the smashjourneman/lord they're actually not.
Well... that's smashboards. I'll admit I'm not that great by the standards here. Anyway...

What exactly is a "good" recovery for the purpose of your tier list? What factors come in. You should carefully explain your reasoning behind the list (preferably right after / on the list itself). Then you'll reduce the obnoxious one-line flames.

Distance? Gimpability? Speed? Control? Ease of use? What are you looking at? You should evaluate each of those for each character.

Also, Lucas' recovery is fantastic. Glad it's up there. Wavezap, extra magnet pulls, tether, pkt2...

_clinton

Smash Master
There is NO WAY that wolf is lower than falco. Seriously, it's impossible. Wolf has more distance and a better sideB, the only problem is the crap sweetspot on upB. And wold has amazing aerial control too, as opposed to falco who can't move in the air for his life.
Yep...I agree

Notice my post on the last page?

_clinton

Smash Master
Nope...it isn't...it is in truth quite long...3 small horizontal blocks long actually (4 if you Magnet pull before doing it)

And everyone always seems to forget about Rope Snake/Snake Rope for some reason...

BTW...Ness shouldn't be in the same rank as Mario ok...

mimic_king

Smash Lord
how is wario so high up there? pit's is obviously the best. olimar's can be really good o really bad. the worst is probably yoshi, ness, or link.

J4pu

Smash Champion
how is wario so high up there? pit's is obviously the best. olimar's can be really good o really bad. the worst is probably yoshi, ness, or link.
Pit is not top his UpB cannot be used again after getting out of it, the OP is ranked by effectiveness of returning to the stage not distance gained. Also yoshi does not have a terrible recovery, turn tap jump off and you have multiple UpB's followed by a huge DJ with SA throughout almost the whole thing, followed by more UpB's if necessary. Yoshi does not cancel his DJ when using an aerial or Air dodge which makes it even better to avoid the foot-stool.
Ness has a bad recovery but not the worst, but I agree that Link's recovery is very close to the bottom.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Move Pit up to rank S. If he has a similar recovery to Meta Knight, then I fail to see why he shouldn't also be there. He has four jumps and his Wings of Icarus (Up+B). Of course, getting hit if Pit uses his Wings of Icarus could be a factor for being lower, but I think if he's not in rank S, he should at least be in rank A. If Zero Suit Samus can be ranked B for recovery, then Samus should also be in that list, or even up one more rank. Samus can recovery by using her Bombs (Down+B) before she decides to use her second jump. Even with her second jump, she can stall a bit more with her Bombs if necessary. Furthermore, Samus has a tether recovery.

_clinton

Smash Master
Move Pit up to rank S. If he has a similar recovery to Meta Knight, then I fail to see why he shouldn't also be there. He has four jumps and his Wings of Icarus (Up+B). Of course, getting hit if Pit uses his Wings of Icarus could be a factor for being lower, but I think if he's not in rank S, he should at least be in rank A. If Zero Suit Samus can be ranked B for recovery, then Samus should also be in that list, or even up one more rank. Samus can recovery by using her Bombs (Down+B) before she decides to use her second jump. Even with her second jump, she can stall a bit more with her Bombs if necessary. Furthermore, Samus has a tether recovery.
Well at least we agree that Zamus is to high and Samus is to low

But yeah...for the most part...I don't even have to use that 2nd jump most of the time as Samus...

Also Ness' recovery is better then where he is at IMO...

Distance wise it is pretty good...as far as distance goes horizontally...from a low level...his 2nd jump and his 3rd jump can go the same distance...well with use of Magnet push his 2nd jump can...and height wise it is alright as well...about 1.5 times greater then his 2nd jumps height

But another thing about his recovery...he can slall his fall as well for a bit using his magnet...Not as much as Lucas or Fox...but he can...

His normal air attacks also do a pretty good job at keeping him safe as well...

The main thing that people seem to look down on Ness when it comes to his recovery is that his 3rd jump has some handicaps to learning...even more then Lucas' does...

You can steal his Thunder...and you can cut the distance of the blast...oh and you need 2 small stage editor blocks of space to use his thunder2 overall...

However the window for stealing the thunder is quite small when you think about it...the head only makes up 1/8 of the whole thing overall...and getting hit by the tail of his thunder is a very bad...just to let you know...your pretty much open to Thunder2 when that happens...

Cutting the distance of the blast can only happen one way though...and that is if you run into something (like for example a fire ball) however that really only makes projectile users that more annoying for Ness...but even then...it might not hit the special frames on the move (you might hit Ness when he isn't in you can't touch me mode)...which means...you just gave him the thunder back instead...However hitting Ness with your body as the means to stop it...isn't that smart...

So...I think I can compare Ness to Pit for a second when it comes to their Up Bs...in that they are only suppose to be used if you really need them...they are sort of a last resort sort of move IMO...and that their normal double jumps and other tricks are for the most part enough to get them back on the stage most of the time...however where they draw a line is...Pit's WoI can have him travel under FD to the other side of it...and Ness' thunder2 is a kill move when your foe has 30% or so on them...

Top Bottom