• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Orlando 2010 - April 16-18th ($7,000) - RESULTS THREAD IS UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Your missing the big issue, honestly. It is not just the stages alone, it is the amount of stages combined with the stage striking system. Doing a 3-4-1 system enables a single person with 1 full swing to disable all old standard neutrals, and only leave new ones. Having this system enables a person to disable all bad stages against a single character at a high chance, leaving them with nothing to properly play on. It is essentially CPing a person at the beginning of the match. Now the issue with all of this is, with a 9 stage selection system, this is an improper way to strike stages. A 1-2-2-2-1 Striking system is far superior then a 3-4-1 system. It enables both sides to easily go to a stage where both players can feel comfortable on.

Now another issue is that with the amount of stages, it does lean to certain characters (mainly MK and Snake) too much in there favor. While all characters are not viable in this game, a good amount are. This stage system cuts the number down by a lot. Now with the 3-4-1 system this is a very true statement. HOWEVER, a 1-2-2-2-1 system may not be the case. I would like to test this out myself a few times, but the 3-4-1 system needs to go, or you need to cut at least 2 stages from the list to make it more viable to more characters.
That's why winning your first match is important. But I don't see such a big issue of this since there are multiple stages that your character can perform good on, not just 1 or 2. MK won't be able to scrooge as much with some of these stages, MK is more likely to time you out on SV, FD, and BF. He can't do it as effectively on Castle Siege, Yoshi Island Brawl, and Pokemon Stadium 1(for the most part.)
Snake gets the biggest advantage though from this stage counter list, unless they add in Jungle Japes. Probably Snakes worst stage on this list is Pokemon Stadium 2 and Rainbow Cruise, FD is probably his worst starter stage.

RedHalberd: Didn't know you can't stage strike anything from CP list. MK and Snake are good on Green Greens, so no worries.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I've had this discussion with many people. Playing against an IC player is gonna be so frustrating for them as MK.

"I strike FD, Battle Field, Smashville, and PS1" lol. That leaves Yoshi's Island or Lylat for them to choose from, unless they really want to try to take on MK on Halberd, Delfino, or Castle Siege.

Yoshis island, mk vs ics seems pretty neutral imo. not to mention that I think I would rather play on ps1 as mk vs ics anyway but that might just be me.

EDIT
Dang, Lobos is the truth

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
OR if scrooging is legal, then allow Smashville and strike YI. So now they either have to deal with Smashville or Lylat or something else. Point is, you are gonna be hurting if you are playing someone like IC, Falco, Diddy, etc

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Speaking of snakes:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLUSBrHe8Yw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLUSBrHe8Yw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No wiimotes means no players like this :(.

:(.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
****IT lol Hylian got to post that **** in here.. bull crap lol.
You know you liked it even though he pulled that **** on you hahahaha <3.

Make him practice with a GC controller :(.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Canadians obviously play Tennis more than we thought.

ADHD

Smash Hero
MLG (professional staff members) > BBR (whiny kids). Why? Because MLG staff is unbiased since they are not competing in the tournament. Which makes a NON-corrupted stage list.
Example, ADHD complaining about changing the MLG stage list to get more benefit for his character Diddy Kong to do better. We all know Diddy does better on SV, FD, and BF, MLG staff members probably see through this deceivement and pressure to change the stages. Wise up people!

EDIT: I'm not saying all BBR members are corrupt, but some are.
I'm going to ****ing.. hit you with a sledge hammer across the cheek.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Alpha Zealot and other MLG supervisors,

I'm interested in attending simply for the purpose of experiencing MLG as a spectator, however - upon attempting to see
https://secure.mlgpro.com/store/product.php?pid=114 said:
Click here to see everything MLG has to offer its spectators.

I was denied access, and thus, can not find out what MLG has to offer to it's spectators.

What does MLG have to offer to it's spectators for the hefty fee of $25.00?

- Eikelmann

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Spectator passes can be purchased at the door. Also previous events have offered student discounts so I wouldn't put it past MLG to offer similar deals (usually 5-10 off with a student ID at the door). This is not official/announced though so until you hear for sure assume it is $25 w/ no discount. As for why the link isn't working: I have no idea why it is not working. You should try using the link from MLGpro.com's main site page and not the smashboard link, but when I tried this earlier it did not work either so I'm guessing its a problem that will get fixed in the next few days once the staff returns from to the office from MLG Nashville.

* Free BIC Razors
* Free Old Spice Deodorant
* Free Hot Pockets
* Free Doritos
* Free Stride Gum
* Free Dr. Pepper, all you can drink, all weekend long
* Sponsor giveaways and contests for free merchandise

All of that, plus I believe one or two new sponsors for the 2010 season that I have no clue who they are yet or what they are offering. And when I say "free" I don't mean you get one then you can't get anymore. You can grab as many bags of Doritos as you want or grab as many cans of Dr. Pepper as you want. I was just in Nashville for the MLG combine and they had left over bags of Doritos as the event was finishing so they literally were handing out boxes of the stuff to people (I believe there are 250 bags in one box).

In addition there are free-entry competitions for typically multiple games at an event with prizes for the top finishers (example: last season there was a comp for fight night with $1,500 in prizes and also for NBA live with the same amount of prizes, every event features a free entry Halo FFA but I always forget what the prizes are for that).

Finally just the experience of seeing the best people in multiple games duke it out (the Koreans are flying in for Tekken 6, for example, then there is obviously the Halo stuff).

Spectators though cannot play on the stations. That is reserved only for players.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
HOT POCKETS!

Are we gonna have any drinks besides Dr. Pepper we can get for free? I don't really like Dr. Pepper...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Drinks are:

Dr. Pepper
Diet Dr. Pepper
Cherry Dr. Pepper
Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper (I believe)
Water

That is all that is available for free. Within the hotel you can purchase other products but they are not available within the venue.

OverLade

Smash Hero
have you tried it in a tournament? cause adhd is just complaining about not starting on his counter picks anymore.

The only people against greengreens are like inui and you now.
I've been playing on the stage extensively for the past couple days and after getting stage spiked by random blocks and killed at 60% from explosions I can't say I see any reason it should be legal.

I'm mostly upset because all these big names that were originally coming are changing their minds because of the dumb stagelist.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
Alright- I need help :/

My plane comes in at 1:25 P.M. on Thursday, but GDX will be at work so he can't pick me up T.T can ANYONE give me a ride then?
Yes, there is a free complimentary shuttle service to the MLG Discounted hotel at the All-Star Resort. The Shuttle is the Disney Magical Express. The shuttle is free for those players staying in the MLG Discounted block of rooms. You can register for a room here: https://www.signup4.net/public/ap.aspx?EID=MLGD10E&OID=130

Here is a link to everything you need to know about the Disney Magical Express: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/airport-service/

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
anyone with a brain is against green greens (and ps2).

though i think norfair and picto are "borderline" enough they can be kept on. the other 2? lmfao.
what if i'm against green greens, but i'm going to use it to my advantage?

i think dphat posted earlier actions > words,

use this MLG as an example to prep future mlg events~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom