• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 MLG Columbus: Mew2King wins again! (3-1 vs Ally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
MLG should have payed M2K behind the scenes to throw the match so they can hype up next event in raleig- BUT WAIT WHAT?! KEN, THE MARTH MAIN RETURNS TO SMASH?! and he's actually been practicing Brawl for the last like 2 years and challenges M2K to a 500 dollar money match on the spot. Man that would be BUT WAIT WHAT'S THIS?! Isai enters the showroom with a huge sledgehammer and destroys all the Wiis, looks like these guys are playing Smash 64, Pokeballs and Bomb-ombs only on Zebes.

**** JUST GOT REAL

If you're interested in hiring me for your marketing division MLG send me a PM.
I love this guy ^

Surrender

Smash Rookie
hey m2k good job. Don't let jealous people ruining your excitement. There is a reason why you get offered these decisions, and also a good reason why I respect you. I am not anyone's particular fan, but I offer respect where it is deserved. Obviously there are some people, especially at your level (I have met a few *cough cough*), that feel it's necessary to make judgments and belittle you because they are frustrated that you are better. If you go to Boston, they hate the Yankees.. if you get my drift.. I don't think it's a bad idea to take care of finances, it's adult and responsible. Just make the decision that makes you happy and don't look back. Keep up the good work, maybe see ya at Cataclysm.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I don't think it's a bad idea to take care of finances, it's adult and responsible. Just make the decision that makes you happy and don't look back.
Two things vVv isn't from my experience.

Edit: For the record, I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just stating my opinion.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
M2K, believe me when I say that I understand that joining vVv financially makes sense so by all means do what you need to do.

I have virtually no issues with *most* members of vVv but I dislike what the organization stands for and how it's run. This is not the time nor the place for me to tell why I dislike vVv, but just understand that I have my own valid reasons for disliking the organization and all that it stand for.

M2K being a part of vVv has nothing do with my issues with them.
It's sad that 5 of my last 10 posts are quoting Asakura, but this is what I was going to say.

Of course, it makes financial sense for M2K to join vVv. If you need the support, of course go for it! I'm just saying from an "image by association" point of view, I don't agree with a lot of vVv's members and attitudes.

Columbus being the first major Smash tournament I've ever been to, this was the first time I've been around/met lots of the top players. M2K seemed insanely humble and respectful, especially for a champion player. However, when I think of vVv, and a lot of their players, this isn't the image I get.

I'm not jealous, or envious. I'm not a ridiculously avid Smash player, I'm wrapping up college and pursuing a career; so "hating" isn't a factor for my opinion. Hopefully this clears up where I was coming from haha.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Vvv us a joke. I played gears of war before smash and vvv used to be something. It's a complete joke of an organization and jerith is a douche who doesn't know anything about running an organization. I feel sorry for all you smash kids just now learning about vvv. You'll learn what I've known for about 4 years. It's a fning joke.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Wait, is there some backstory I need to know about this? Can you guys please explain more?
I've just had some terrible experiences with vVv in Halo and Gears of War. I'm not sure if vVv is new to the Smash scene or not.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: vVv, from what I know, gets to pick their members. A lot of the people they have chosen are very immature, and unprofessional. In my opinion, after attending Columbus, you (M2K) are better than them.

If you need the money and support, go for it! Take their money.

You know how some people associated with MLG think they are much better than the average player? Well, most people I've met/talked to in vVv think they are much better than every other player. If none of this make sense, then maybe this situation hasn't hit Smash gaming yet. I'm more from a Gears 2 background than anything.

In the end, if you need the money, do it M2K. I know I'm a nobody (in the Smash world) and my opinion shouldn't affect you. Just remember you are represented by those you associate with.

P.S. I hope this makes sense tomorrow when I'm sober. Bahahaha.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Vvv us a joke. I played gears of war before smash and vvv used to be something. It's a complete joke of an organization and jerith is a douche who doesn't know anything about running an organization. I feel sorry for all you smash kids just now learning about vvv. You'll learn what I've known for about 4 years. It's a fning joke.
I'm terribly sorry Mods on the double post, but....DAMAGE POINTS?!?!? Get that BROOOONNNCCOOOOO!

Dude, you play Smash now? You don't really know me, but I played Gears with Marky, Wario, Mikavu and Hooch.

I'm glad you can back me up on vVv being terrible as far as the Gears of War scene.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Look at region tourney results and the names of the people who's attended. It's easy to tell who's go skill. It's clearly M2K and ally then everyone else =/.

Wait....are you agreeing with me, or against me? The $30 of drinks are confusing me at the moment.
You said that vVv people think they are better than everyone.

You told M2K that he was better than them, which is a huge ego-boost.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
You said that vVv people think they are better than everyone.

You told M2K that he was better than them, which is a huge ego-boost.
I didn't mean better than them as in a video game player, just as a competitor.

Basically, I mean he is more respectful and humble than most vVv players, and that would be lame to see it change. I suppose if that is an ego boost, that's not what I intended.

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros 4 better be alot more balanced then Brawl, that way you can point out who has skill and who doesn't have skill. =)
Troll troll troll!

This MLG caused some very entertaining matches. The beast low-tiers were fun to watch, and watching M2K dominate was entertaining as well. Seriously, even my non-Brawl playing friends thought this stuff was impressive.

TopTiers

Smash Rookie
This MLG caused some very entertaining matches. The beast low-tiers were fun to watch, and watching M2K dominate was entertaining as well. Seriously, even my non-Brawl playing friends thought this stuff was impressive.
It was impessive I got nothing agasint the excitement of the matches. I agree with you though that even with top-tier charcters there it still can create some chaotic matches.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, so far, the vVv players for Smash all include personal friends of mine that are extremely respectful.

MikeHaze
Havok
M2k
Atomsk (He jokes around a lot, but he's not a douche, despite his cockiness)
Shadow (Very humble as well)

And I've had only positive face to face interactions with vVv reps. So I support them.

MD.Dude

Smash Cadet
People shouldn't look for all kinds of non-MK characters but list it as "MKs" and "non-MKs".

There's no difference in
1. MK
2. Snake
3. MK
4. Diddy
5. MK
5. ZSS
7. MK
7. Dedede

And
1. MK
2. Snake
3. MK
4. Snake
5. MK
5. Snake
7. MK
7. Snake

MK isn't that dominating, he never was (there are some tourneys where he did, but there are also tourneys where Snakes dominate, but usually it isn't like that).
He get's the best results though, and that's understanding, because many people play him since he's the best character.

Btw, Mew2King is too ****ing good... I heard he only lost one single game in the whole tourney and that was against Ally. Wow.
I wanted to pull this up to let you know this post was gay.

MD.Dude

Smash Cadet
LOL @ anyone who still thinks the Midwest sucks. If you weren't here and didn't see the talent/potential/upsets for yourself, then shut the **** up and move on. Plain and simple. Most of the players I talked to at the event were open minded and accepting of said facts after they witnessed everything for themselves. Man I hate people who talk out of their behinds...

I talked mad **** and backed MW up like a mofo and now I almost lost my voice, especially on the Arty > Dojo, Krystedez > DEHF, Blue Rogue > Meep, and Ook > MikeHAZE sets. And allllmost on two local players from my area (ITT and Suyon; Pit and Sonic) going to third game last hit high percent against Jash and Bizkit, and Jash openly admitted to them being an underrated team despite them not being all that great in singles play.

Face it EC/WC, Florida showed up to this tournament and repped hard, but so did the Midwest. Stop turning a blind cheek to our region already, it's pretty ignorant if you still do.
EC/WC are still the best regions...people can rep for MW..and..south but WC=2nd EC=1ST overall

-Ran

Smash Master
If you use the Player Rankings thread top 100, there's a utilization rate of 41% for MK when you include secondaries. This is compared to a utilization rate of 14% for Snake, 7% for Diddy Kong, 9% Falco, and after that everything tapers off downward.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Irrelevant if one character continues to dominate everyone else. It's exciting to see a top Snake player like Ally struggle against ZSS and Ike. It's stupid to see that same top player reduced to so little in the finals.
This. When I saw the ZSS player do so well with what many consider the second best in North America, then get ***** by M2K's metaknight, that tells me things. ignore it if you want, but that's your decision.

I'm gonna be patient about this, but its gonna happen. eventually people are at least gonna try not having metaknight in more tourney. probably not MLG tho. or not...

About 40% of the top 16 were MK players. That's about normal for the best character in the game. If it was above 50% in the top 16, then that might be a problem.

Mew2King seems like he is better than ever before with such a dominating performance. I thought he would of been confused to fight Nick Riddle, since great Zero Suit Samus' players are rare. But it seemed like it was an easy victory for M2K. That surprised me since Nick beat a lot of other MK's like Tyrant and some others. Mew2King really is on a different level than all other MK's.
yeah M2K isn't just some metaknight player. I guess i can't believe that this guy wins basically every tourney all the time, and for the longest time I blamed it on the character, even when that' s not the only reason. I just saw the set against riddle, and even if he lost i didn't think it would be so lopsided. I mean, there are so many retardedly good players, and from what i understand, M2K didn't really lose and matches until ally? that's kinda depressing to me.

I guess I'm waiting for a non-meta player to win a string of tourneys like he has. I think that will change my opinion of meta, honestly.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
ROFL

EC is not that good now. Don't let the trolls feed you, NJ is trash. Me and Cable are inactive, so only ADHD and Atomsk are top players that consistently place that I would expect to perform well on a national level. Ksizzle has variable activity. DM is inconsistent these days. Inui's activity and performance is also variable. I never know what to expect of Keitaro. Lots of players show potential, but no one is really bridging the gap into becoming a powerhouse that I would expect to perform on a national level. Like I said, only ADHD and Atomsk are top level threats from this state now. Malcolm is pretty good, but neglects to perform on a national level.

NY has Shadow, Ninjalink, and Anti. Snakeee is busy with school, Shadow seems to have hit a plateau, Ninjalink is very good, but has always produced variable results, and Anti doesn't travel.

Bum doesn't focus on Smash or travel. Teh_Spammerer quit, D1 has great potential but doesn't practice/play enough, etc.

NY/NJ just has pretty much 4 players that should be considered a major threat at MLG. Ninjalink, Shadow, ADHD, and Atomsk. While Shadow didn't perform as well as I expected, everyone can have an off day, and he did perform splendidly at Pound.

MD/VA has Boss, and that's like it, as far as MLG is concerned. Meep isn't going anywhere with lag and a diverse stage list. P~S is adjusting to GC controller, and performs variably OOS. Neo performs like trash OOS, and I'm not expecting too much from any unmentioned players on a national level, when they get tossed up against the existing top 16.

NE has Fatal. The end.

South is stacked. Florida has shown it's guns with Shaky, Nick, Seibrik, HRNut, Halberd, and ESAM all hailing from one state. Throw Dojo, Gnes, and Razer into that mix, and there's honestly no contest between South and EC. If you count Georgia as South, then they also get BigLou and Reflex, and then it's a joke. That's not even considering DMG, UTDZac, Dphat, etc. OH ****, AND I FORGOT LEE MARTIN, THE GOD.

WC is still stacked. You have MikeHaze, Havok, RichBrown, Tyrant, DEHF from Socal ALONE. Then other assorted players that show promise like Felix, Valdens, Zex (he's **** btw), Nerd, etc. WC has lots of really good players that get overshadowed by SoCal, and honestly appear to be tougher competition than their EC counterparts atm.

Maybe when M2k was here and EC was benefiting from his fountain of power. Then after that Ally used to be here a lot, and we kept on with that growth. But the fountains here have all dried up. ADHD plays around too much, and outside of like, me personally, and the already good players, doesn't really play serious or often enough for the rest of the region to benefit. Atomsk is detached being too far South to give the rest of us good training. PA seems to be improving somewhat, but they're still not amazing, and I wouldn't expect top 16 placing from PA (though Vex keeps improving at an alarming rate)

Hell, for all the **** they get, Midwest has been stepping it up. This was my second trip to Midwest, and they made a showing at Pound, and I've seen the difference M2k has been making on them. Even watching their videos I can see the improvement. Outside of OS, AZ, Judge, Lain, and Anther, they're getting a solid second string of players that we can actually see doing some damage. Blue Rogue, Infern, Y.B.M, and Kel all place rather consistently. King Beef, Hilt, Quivo and Nope have been stepping it up amazingly. To me, M2k will always be EC, but we can't pretend he hasn't been in OH a year now (I miss you Jason :( ) and he's obviously godlike. I don't know if I'd say Midwest has bypassed other regions, especially in an MLG setting where Lain is nerfed, and Anther seems a bit rusty compared to his prime, but Judge has stepped it WAY up since getting more exposure to M2k, and I expect good things from Midwest.

EC overall seems to have taken a drop in overall and relative skill, since our powerhouses started sleeping or moved away. Atomsk, ADHD and Shadow just run through this region uncontested unless Anti decides he wants to play singles. Recently, we had Yes!, an INACTIVE, DORMANT SNAKE PLAYER knock Shadow out of winners. Seriously?

I'm not trying to bash my own region. I'll always rep East Coast, and want to see us return to our former glory as the Champions of Smash, but that's definitely not going to happen as long as we pretend we're good instead of working towards becoming that good again.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This. When I saw the ZSS player do so well with what many consider the second best in North America, then get ***** by M2K's metaknight, that tells me things. ignore it if you want, but that's your decision.

I'm gonna be patient about this, but its gonna happen. eventually people are at least gonna try not having metaknight in more tourney. probably not MLG tho. or not...

yeah M2K isn't just some metaknight player. I guess i can't believe that this guy wins basically every tourney all the time, and for the longest time I blamed it on the character, even when that' s not the only reason. I just saw the set against riddle, and even if he lost i didn't think it would be so lopsided. I mean, there are so many retardedly good players, and from what i understand, M2K didn't really lose and matches until ally? that's kinda depressing to me.

I guess I'm waiting for a non-meta player to win a string of tourneys like he has. I think that will change my opinion of meta, honestly.
Uh, have you heard of DEHF or Ally? Might I remind you that right before MLG, Ally had a streak of victories on M2k, and went undefeated for a few months? Might I remind you that aside from very close sets with M2k, Larry dominated every tourney he was at with Falco. Might I remind you that Meep might have an off day or two, but continues to dominate his region with ICs. Might I remind you that ADHD continues to troll this whole region with Diddy Kong, and usually BEATS M2k now, SOLIDLY?

Might I remind you, that outside of M2k, there are several top level players that almost never even drop sets to MKs aside from M2k and their immediate regional counterparts? ADHD only loses to the MKs he fights here. Larry only loses to M2k and Tyrant as far as MKs are concerned. Nick probably had to go through a few MKs to GET to M2k. ESAM took out Tyrant, and generally beats MKs not named Seibrik. Gnes ain't losing to a MK not named Dojo.

MK is the best character in the game, no doubt. However, his results are inflated because the number of people that play him are inflated BECAUSE he's the best.

Look at it this way. Lets assume Snake is the second best character in the game. Let's say MKs power is a 1, and Snake's is a 9.5. Let's assume Diddy is the third best, and he's a 9.3. That's not actually a huge difference. However, because MK IS THE BEST people looking to play to win are going to pick up MK instead of Snake or Diddy, to get whatever edge they can. This means that instead of the number of MKs to Snakes to Diddys being 1 : 9.5 : 9.3, it's going to be more like 10 : 3 : 1

I heavily suspect that despite whatever data you throw at me, if you were to even out the number of MKs, Snakes, Diddys, and whatever characters you choose, MK would still be in the lead, but it wouldn't be this silly of an astronomical landslide. As it stands now, the top players of the other characters are already proving they're getting good enough to combat armies of MKs, and only lose to other TOP PLAYERS that happen to be using MK. And lets remember folks, Dojo, Tyrant, Lee Martin, Atomsk, Shadow, Ksizzle, Havok, M2k, and Seibrik, are all still top players, despite their character choice.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Thank you Pierce. Finally someone stepped up, bypassed all of the pretentious prideful behavior, and told everything like it is (especially because you're an eyewitness to our players at two different points in time).

I appreciate it. :)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Great post Pierce. Basically, I'm hearing that the South and WC are the best regions ATM, East Coast is still good, but lazy, and Midwest has potential.

Don't forget that Midwest is a BIG region, and not all of our players were represented at MLG. We still have Iowa, Minnesota, and Kansas not properly represented @ MLG. Although I don't think any of them would place in the top 16 aside from maybe Joker, you never know.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Mah boy Pierce still sleeping on Nairo despite him trying his hardest to improve everyday, and winning a good sized tourney this weekend.

I dunno if you've been paying attention to the scene but Nairo's reached me and Malcolm.

Nairo's age will never get him the respect he deserves, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom