• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
The results were still made public, and can be verified by quite a few people easily:

Yes 687 votes 75.91%
No 218 votes 24.09%
Voters: 905

Not exactly sure why we can't view the actual results; I think it was due to some site coding error, but we were able to see the "real" results before they got taken down, regardless, so no worries.

Thino

Smash Master
The results were still made public, and can be verified by quite a few people easily:

Yes 687 votes 75.91%
No 218 votes 24.09%
Voters: 905

Not exactly sure why we can't view the actual results; I think it was due to some site coding error, but we were able to see the "real" results before they got taken down, regardless, so no worries.
This is the kind of data I'm asking for

Thank you

NNID
MasterHavik
To the people that think the people who made the call aren't good players or don't main the character are wrong. Let me just say this.......

He takes no skill whatsoever. I think Capcom base his character off of Wolverine when they were making MvC3. And thought it would be funny to do the same thing with Phoenix. Anyways, it's not hard to play MK. I mean if you know the basics with him I think you can run through most people without much effort. Lastly, the funniest thing about this is that the majority is in agreement with giving him the swift boot .So why are you trying to fight it while only 24% compare to 74% of the vote agrees with you?

GWjumpman & Mc-killa: But hey MikeHaze said they need to make the call. Not the URC. I'm happy they are enjoying the show though.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Meta Knight is certainly not as easy to use as you are making him out to be.
While this is true, his learning curve isn't exactly what we could call steep. If you have a solid handle on this game, all you really have to do is learn his spacing and the few nuances to match-ups that are problematic for unsuspecting MKs and boom you have a decent MK.

I have beaten people who have played this MU extensively and are better players than me by just abusing what worked. Which isn't hard to do against ROB and DK.

I just picked Lv. 3 X-Factor and did work.

NNID
Budget_Player
To the people that think the people who made the call aren't good players or don't main the character are wrong. Let me just say this.......

He takes no skill whatsoever. I think Capcom base his character off of Wolverine when they were making MvC3. And thought it would be funny to do the same thing with Phoenix. Anyways, it's not hard to play MK. I mean if you know the basics with him I think you can run through most people without much effort.
Have you ever played brawl competitively? Like, against people who are remotely capable in the matchup? No? Then please don't act as though you had a clue what you're talking about. Thanks. ^_^

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Dude, kirbyandsonicrock was ranked 1st in Chicago before he decided to remove himself from the rankings to a pursue a career of kicking *** and taking names with his Meta Knight.

Learn the facts before you speak out.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Since mk is banned is planking legal?
We still have the rule. Wait until we get a new recommended ruleset for your answer. And I'm confident planking will still be banned. They'll just change the rule so it doesn't have to cater to MK anymore if it did before.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont think planking is a bannable problem without mk. The concept should still be to limit and ban as little as we can feasibly get away with.

The metagame still isnt going to be over centralised around marth/gameandwatch/DK/Pikachu even with planking being legal.

NNID
Budget_Player
He's disliked in the debate hall and the stage discussion, I think he's going for the hatrick with the competitive brawl discussion.
Actually, Debate Hall was #3, stage discussion was #2, and this was #1.

Why do you keep making stupid assumptions lol
Because he's so blatantly wrong on so many levels. Metaknight is not that easy if your opponent is competent.

@Grim: You're ****ting me, right?

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Still....with metaknight banned...

It'll get a lot of people who originally dropped brawl because of him back into the scene.

I've been collecting tournament data, i've seen a dramatic increase in my brawl monthly tournaments as soon as I banned MK from my events.

This is more about getting my community back into playing brawl again. I've been visited by players who I haven't seen since 2008...and they bring their friends and they bring their friends....it's a win win situation for me. If players are consistent, this transition shouldn't even be a problem.

Say what you want, but if this is what it takes to repopulate brawl and bring it back to the spotlight, i'm in favor for it.

LKratos

Smash Cadet
I think kirbyandsonicrock was exaggerating a bit when he said it was really easy to just plow through everyone with MK

But what I will agree with is that MK is the least challenging character to learn to play competently with.

zmx

Smash Lord
I am hearing this a lot:

"Now that he is banned people that left because of him will come back"

If people truly left because of 1 character in the first place, I highly doubt these kind of people will contribute ANYTHING meaningful to the community even if they did come back. Heck they'd probably find some other excuse and leave again shortly afterwords.

Edit: I just thought of another pro of banning MK even though I'm anti-ban myself. I realize now that MK mains were always in a lose-lose situation. If they won it was "big deal another MK spammer abusing a broken character to win" and if they lost it was "lol you couldn't even win with the best character, you must be horrible". And this only applies to MK unfortunately. I've heard nothing of the sort for any of the other top tiers.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Planking is still an issue in my mind even with MK gone. Nonviable characters who have issues with it, although the LGL doesn't need to be so MK-like. Because, you know, he's gone.

zmx

Smash Lord
Planking is still an issue in my mind even with MK gone. Nonviable characters who have issues with it, although the LGL doesn't need to be so MK-like. Because, you know, he's gone.
Which characters can plank effectively like MK? The only ones I can think of right now are DK, to a lesser extent samus and maybe yoshi.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
game and watch and pit are the biggest threats, but i dont really see them beating any characters that they wouldnt before with the addition of being able to stay on the ledge forever. except maybe ICs

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK's planking may be top 4 right now, but that doesn't mean anything. he can't attack from the ledge. he has to take the lead first preferably a stock lead, and that can be quite difficult

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
G&W imo is basically the only notable one because Uair displaces character position and his Upb gives easily useable invincibility. DK on YI and Pictochat is also comparable, but obviously not as broad.

Samus is no issue. DK would be on those stages. G&W would be an issue but the question would be "how much is too much" because he certainly wouldn't be top 3-5 even if he could endless plank unless the stage is like Green Greens/Japes/Norfair/Brinstar lol

NNID
MasterHavik
Have you ever played brawl competitively? Like, against people who are remotely capable in the matchup? No? Then please don't act as though you had a clue what you're talking about. Thanks. ^_^
Well..... actually....this is pretty funny sir. I'm going to two offline tourneys this month. So yeah..I like using that argument too, but it kind of falls short here. And for my game knowledge....while it may be rusty I know the basics for pretty most of the characters in the game. And I know all the good and bad stages for my mains too. But since we're all friends here. I didn't find out for YEARS( Four to be exact) that IL had a scene for Smash. And I was kind of busy with DOA 4, SC4, SF4( horrible times), BB(epic times), and MK9. The only reason I found out IL had a scene because I decided to check the tournament section of this lovely forum. And BAM! There were two upcoming tourneys this month. Shocking isn't it? No one here in chitown talk about the game, so I had no idea about it. I hope you enjoy my story and wish me the best of luck at my two upcoming tourneys.

P.S.

I main Kirby, Sonic, and Ness. But i might just got Kirby and Ness until I get solid with Sonic. Also, I played a ton of wi-fi when I first got the game. and actually had some solid tech and tricks with Kirby and Ness. I can't wait to get back into the flow of things.

LKratos: Umm....Yuo can say that. but I could play him if I tried. But you put what I wanted to say in simpler words. BTW, just call me KASR or Havik. it's what I got by man. I might have the silliest the name, but I bring the hype.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@Grim: You're ****ting me, right?
Of course :p

game and watch and pit are the biggest threats, but i dont really see them beating any characters that they wouldnt before with the addition of being able to stay on the ledge forever. except maybe ICs
Pit is not a threat at all, and his planking isn't hard to beat with ICs xD I've practiced doing it against Ghostbone.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
I am hearing this a lot:

"Now that he is banned people that left because of him will come back"

If people truly left because of 1 character in the first place, I highly doubt these kind of people will contribute ANYTHING meaningful to the community even if they did come back. Heck they'd probably find some other excuse and leave again shortly afterwords.

Edit: I just thought of another pro of banning MK even though I'm anti-ban myself. I realize now that MK mains were always in a lose-lose situation. If they won it was "big deal another MK spammer abusing a broken character to win" and if they lost it was "lol you couldn't even win with the best character, you must be horrible". And this only applies to MK unfortunately. I've heard nothing of the sort for any of the other top tiers.
^this actually happens to me alot. I beat someone with mk and they shrug it off as "i only lost cause of mk" and even though you beat so and so hes still better than you cause you use mk and he mains *insert mid tier*. Ive even been called a garbage win stealer for maining mk.

:phone:

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
will be more entertaining to see i hope. all GF where MK ditto's. Hopefully ADHD wont **** everyone now...

be prepared for the rise of d333333333333333333 and some mid tiers :)

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Im gonna say this but dont you think Snake would be more of a broken character then Meta Knight?

(Sorry to sound dumb i dont really follow the tier list so i dont no why they rank characters)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Im gonna say this but dont you think Snake would be more of a broken character then Meta Knight?

(Sorry to sound dumb i dont really follow the tier list so i dont no why they rank characters)
Well, no, because he's not.

But if Snake had five jumps, a glide, a sword, a multi-hit attack with high priority, and maybe if his Cypher had a Shuttle Loop effect.

link2702

Smash Champion
nope x10000000000000

snake gets ***** when he's in the air, snake has both bad stages and other characters he does bad against

hell snake wasn't even the 2nd highest character with metaknight around anymore, diddy knocked him off from the second spot.

the tier list isn't gonna just bump the character that used to be the second highest, into the first highest now and the 3rd into 2nd and 4th into 3rd etc., the whole thing is gonna pretty much change now, except for most likely all the low and bottom tier characters, since they had a hell of a lot more problems then just metaknight ****** em.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
nope x10000000000000

snake gets ***** when he's in the air, snake has both bad stages and other characters he does bad against

hell snake wasn't even the 2nd highest character with metaknight around anymore, diddy knocked him off from the second spot.

the tier list isn't gonna just bump the character that used to be the second highest, into the first highest now and the 3rd into 2nd and 4th into 3rd etc., the whole thing is gonna pretty much change now, except for most likely all the low and bottom tier characters, since they had a hell of a lot more problems then just metaknight ****** em.
I see thanks for clearing that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom