• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

nube

Smash Apprentice
@Dark Iori Yagami:

Unfortunately, the first/main background scene of FD gives very few and limited options in terms of changing/texturing, from what I know. So, something like that, especially the animated cyclone things, would probably be impossible.

(I'm talking about this scene)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANYWAYS, anyone wondering whats taking Rainbow FD so long?
I was working on a side project, and had major success
Hint: It started with one of Qual's discoveries

OMGGGG
someone ask me what it is
hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

nube

Smash Apprentice
I woke up today and I was like, eh I'll give Rainbow FD a break and see if I can't investigate deeper into the initial discovery of laser colours near offset 14000 in plfx.dat ^^

:) :) :) :) :)

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
@Dark Iori Yagami:

Unfortunately, the first/main background scene of FD gives very few and limited options in terms of changing/texturing, from what I know. So, something like that, especially the animated cyclone things, would probably be impossible.

(I'm talking about this scene)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANYWAYS, anyone wondering whats taking Rainbow FD so long?
I was working on a side project, and had major success
Hint: It started with one of Qual's discoveries

OMGGGG
someone ask me what it is
hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype
:ohwell: Whatever dude it can be done, you are just not the man for the job. Just think about it, the stage already scrolls so what if you had the tornados coming to the screen. I feel if some thought were put into it, something amazing can come out of it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
:ohwell: Whatever dude it can be done, you are just not the man for the job. Just think about it, the stage already scrolls so what if you had the tornados coming to the screen. I feel if some thought were put into it, something amazing can come out of it.
Eheh... I'm afraid you're missing the point.
In Brawl, the background isn't composed of one solid image, it has textures of multiple objects going at once -- what they did there was "fuse" the files of Final Destination, with the background of SSE, which they are wholly capable of doing.

But in Melee, you cannot do that (at least, not yet). FD's background is composed of one solid FLAT texture, overlayed with a tiny star texture multiplied over specific areas of the screen -- we cannot "fuse" stages (let alone create from scratch), for a background effect as complex as Brawl. We'd need the more sophisticated hackers, ones willing to put as much time into Melee as was done in the sequel.

~In other news, AWESOME find, nube, Congrats on that. That's really cool. :D
Is it possible to find Falco's laser colors? I think that's the one people've been requesting for the most.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i hate it when people make ignorant posts about our limited knowledge of melee hacks

also nube, please share your laser offset data! if we have the same hex color codes, finding them for falco shouldn't be a big deal either.

nube

Smash Apprentice
NO I WONT SHARE

lol jk
Lemme write a quick summary of everything I've learned, give me 10-15 mins. its pretty late where I am, but I dont feel like sleeping ^^

btw i already figured out falco :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

edit: ok this might take a while im sleepy, k?

nube

Smash Apprentice
Ok. A while ago, Qual discovered laser offsets around 00014000 in PlFx.dat. I, like many others, tampered with the data around that offset resulting in glitchy looking lasers that work on Dolphin, but freeze on a Wii. See: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9955380&postcount=1337

So I had already quit trying to change laser colours for a while, cuz all I could come up with was glitchy lasers, but yesterday, for no reason at all, I felt like makin' some blue lasers, and somehow, I did. o_O

Note: I am using the PlFx.dat file (AKA Fox) for my explanation, but don't worry; Falco works in the exact same way, just at different offsets (will specify later). You may also want to open up PlFx.dat and go to offset 00014000, so you can see the file for yourself and keep up with the explanation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step one: Understanding the Laser data

In the game, a laser has 4 parts:
Part 1 = wide, transparent colour
Part 2 = thin, semi-transparent colour
Part 3 = very thin outline of opaque colour
Part 4 = very thin line of white in the middle.

Each "part" of a laser corresponds to its own group of hex data in the PlFx.dat file. Here is where each "part" of Fox's laser is located:

Part 1 of the laser is located at: beginning of offset 00013e20 - end of 00013e70 (60 bytes)
Part 2 : beginning of offset 00013ec0 - end of 00013f10 (60 bytes)
Part 3 : beginning of offset 00013f60 - end of 00013fb0 (60 bytes)
Part 4 : beginning of offset 00014000 - end of 00014060 (70 bytes)

Or you can just look at this picture.

Ignore all the yellow and blue, just see that in each of the 4 red brackets is a group of data that corresponds to the part of the laser that the number says.

Side note: Qual found out that changing the first three bytes (80 00 08) at offset 00014000 glitches the laser shape. This is true, not only for part 4 of the laser, but for 1, 2, 3 and 4. If you noticed, I underlined these bytes in blue, in the above the picture. They might determine the shape of the laser? Dunno, but I do know that if you try to change the hex in these bytes, the laser will be glitchy.

Onto the colours!

Step two: Changing Colour

The reason no one could find the laser's red colour in PlFx.dat is because the lasers are not coloured in the regular RR GG BB format, but in some other format which uses ## ## instead of ## ## ##. I know Steelia is at least a bit familar with it. It's the same colouring that you use to get rid of the magenta (fc1f) in a CSP file. I heard it's called CLR0 or RGBA or something.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter. I found which exact offsets you can alter without glitching the laser, so experiment away! I have highlighted them in yellow in the above picture. I didn't highlight anything in part 4 of the laser, cuz IMO, it should stay white. But experiment if you want!

TL;DR - Change the yellow highlighted hex into whatever you want, and the colour will change. I recommend using the same colour in each of the 3 parts.

nube

Smash Apprentice
Examples of Fox + Explanation of Falco

Referring to the yellow highlighted hex:

If it is all FC 00, you get red (natural colour).

Change all the FC 00 to FC 1F, you get magenta.

00 FF, blue.

0F 0F, turquoise. (Recommended colour for falco blue! the 00 FF blue is too dark to see IMO)

0F F0, green.

FALCO

Doing all this for Falco is EXACTLY THE SAME as fox, but just at an earlier / a different offset, in the in PlFc.dat file.

If you can't see that this is just about the exact same as fox's one, then....sigh... CHANGE ALL THE FC 00's YA NOOB

If you want blue lasers, change all the FC 00 to 00 FF, or to 0F 0F, or find your own shade of blue. Good luck to all :)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
If you could change the colour of that little aura around Fox's gun, which remains red, then it would be totally amazing.

green lasers for my fav :D :D

LuCKy

Smash Master
is it possible to change the firefox? i asked a long time ago and someone said yes but ive never seen anything on it

nube

Smash Apprentice
My favourite laser colours are green for fox and turquoise for falco :) If anyone tried a different colour than the ones I showed, feel free to show it/provide the hex colour you used.

As for changing the colour of the red aura around the gun (when shooting a laser), I "tried" (completely uncommitted, lol) for like 10 minutes then gave up. IMO, it will be far easier to find the hex offsets for an attack that contains white in it, as there should be a whole bunch of FF's grouped together (that's how Qual found the approximate offsets of a laser!).

So, my first goal is to change Ness's PK Flash (the big green/white explosion thing) to _____ (insert colour of choice here). Hopefully I can find a pattern and understand better how attack colour's work. I encourage others to give this a try, I can't do this all myself and don't have enough time to find colours for every attack the ppl want to change (eg. falcon punch, firefox, etc, etc, etc.) As for me, I want to change Marth's shield breaker colour , I might work on that at a later time.

@above: If I had to guess, I would say purple's hex would be F0 F0? Not sure but just trying different combinations of F's and 0's might give you purple.

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
is there anyway to burn a melee iso on a disc that a gamecube can read cause i dont own a wii anymore only a cube i have searched like everywhere but couldnt a find a guide nore a disc small enof to put into my gamecube

Rykard

Smash Ace
So i don't want to sound annoying by asking this again, but are any of the programs listed in the first post that are also Mac compatible? Or does anyone know some sort of program that allows Macs to read .exe files/programs? Help would be greatly appreciated :D

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
not as much help as it could be but there are programs that emulate windows within mac os. use google and torrent.

but you have options. sorry I don't know the name

shanus

Smash Hero
So i don't want to sound annoying by asking this again, but are any of the programs listed in the first post that are also Mac compatible? Or does anyone know some sort of program that allows Macs to read .exe files/programs? Help would be greatly appreciated :D
use Parallels or get boot camp

Magus420

Smash Master
The f-air I changed to do 111 damage, have a trajectory 30 degrees below horizontal, and have darkness element. Bowser can move that fast because I gave him a 3 frame jump startup, 2 frame landing , and 6 landing lag on all his aerials. I also changed his weight but that doesn't matter for the gif.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The f-air I changed to do 111 damage, have a trajectory 30 degrees below horizontal, and have darkness element. Bowser can move that fast because I gave him a 3 frame jump startup, 2 frame landing , and 6 landing lag on all his aerials. I also changed his weight but that doesn't matter for the gif.
does the darkness element do anything other than mess up my combo because I lose track of my opponent?

Paju

Smash Journeyman
lol I got invisible lasers with fox changin every 3F 80 (to 0F F0) in offset 00003E20-00004090 in PlFx.dat when I was trying to look offset for shine.

Top Bottom