• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
preaching

GUYS! Brawl seriously needs to cut their stock count down to 2. Brawl is not runnable at 3 stocks

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Seriously, all you young brawl kiddies are ignorant as ****. You guys are calling us melee players "close-minded". I seriously don't think you guys know what that means. The ignorant red-necks in my town who won't vote for Obama purely because he is black and know nothing of his policies or stances on anything is being "close minded". People like Tink HAVE played brawl before. Hell, even TRAIL I'm sure has played it at some point, and tried to give it a chance (maybe)(hopefully).Most of the melee scene did at some point or another. I myself am a melee guy, but I ran one of the bigger tourneys for strictly brawl when it first came out. About 100 people in bum-**** wisconsin of all places. Hell, I traveled to play one of the Kish's when he lived in Marshfield with another old school melee player in EoF. You think that we haven't given it a chance, when in fact we were far more excited for the game to come out then you were.

The fact of the matter is that most of these guys who hold this tournament close to their hearts have been playing this game since most of the brawl players were in grade/middle school. More then a third of their lives, probably closer to half. This series has been the ONLY tournament series that hasn't EVER had both Brawl and Melee. And you guys are thinking it is completely unreasonable for them to not want their favorite tournament series to not have it. Not only is this the internet, where you can voice your opinion on the matter and not have it really matter because ultimately it is up to the Ship, who have my support in whatever decision they make. But to criticize someone like WIFE, who IMO is part of the reason competitive smash is still around in general (not to mention he is such a nice dude. Seriously, have a conversation with him once. He is ****ing awesome.), because he voiced his opinion about it is quite sad, and disrespectful to your elders.

Also, I don't think brawl should legally be there because half the brawl kiddies are under 18, and if SNEX shows up I'm sure there wouldn't be too many parents happy with their kids running around with a "registered sex offender" lulz.

Regardless, FC is gonna kick ***, and I cannot wait to play everyone I never had the pleasure of playing before.
You don't really seem to know anything about the brawl scene. Most brawl players are in college. I don't see anyone telling the kishes to run brawl, I only see melee players telling them to NOT run brawl. No one is telling melee players to like brawl. Pretty much all of your complaints are things you made up in your head that haven't even been mentioned here.

I mean, I enjoy brawl and think it's a good game. I've probably been playing competitive melee longer than 90% of the people that will end up going to FC. I probably won't even enter brawl if it's at FC, because I would be going there for melee. It's people's attitudes about the entire situation that is upsetting people, not if the kishes are going to run brawl. There is a huge sense of entitlement.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Brawl and Melee together is standard. We all know how it goes at tournies. We just split it down the middle. It' not a big deal. The PEOPLE this tourny is bringing together is going to make all the difference and that's what I'm excited for.

Brawl is what it is. Tink you said something about brawl making tournies not finish or w/e. Bro it's FC. It's the Kishes. Let's get real.

FC legacy speaks for itself. Ppl should recognize that

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Brawl and Melee together is standard. We all know how it goes at tournies. We just split it down the middle. It' not a big deal. The PEOPLE this tourny is bringing together is going to make all the difference and that's what I'm excited for.
This!!! Regardless of Melee/Brawl it's going to be awesome to see old faces. Looking forward to playing dodgeball again with everyone :).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Um....I doubt my opinion on the Brawl thing matters at all, but I'm just going to say that as someone whose first ever national was Apex 2012, I was severely underwhelmed. Not by the fact that Brawl was there, but because of the way the games were scheduled. If the Kishes are as great as people are saying, scheduling will not be an issue. So there shouldn't be any problem, in theory.

There is elitism on both sides, so to imply that it comes from only one is silly. There is as much "Brawl is boring, non-competitive, etc etc" as there is "Melee is a bad old game, you don't need any mental skill, etc etc." So....I dunno. People are silly. I will go one step further to say that it seems to me that Brawl people are always ready to latch onto/criticize Melee players, and Melee players are always ready to take the bait/get butthurt/whatever.

Hopefully I can go, though. Sounds ****. :)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Personally...I want to go to FC because I started playing Melee when FC was big...the biggest thing around really. I couldn't go because I was too young, so I just played locally. Now that I'm older I can finally travel to one, and I'm super hyped to go with or without brawl, but as a brawl player it just seems like theres no reason it can't be run there =/
Like clearly melee is the main focus, nobody would ever want to change that. But for people like me that play both and want to go, having brawl would be nothing but a bonus. and it's not like the strictly melee-only people have to go over to the brawl section, I'm sure there won't ever be any big-screen brawl matches or anything like that...and most people will be able to enjoy FC without even seeing brawl at all. so why not let it run?

Ambix

Smash Ace
I don't see anyone telling the kishes to run brawl, I only see melee players telling them to NOT run brawl. No one is telling melee players to like brawl.
It's heavily implied.

The brawl players obviously want brawl at FC.

Semantics regardless.

Pretty much all of your complaints are things you made up in your head that haven't even been mentioned here.
Those complaints have been made elsewhere.

Again, they are implied.

A brawl player actually made comparisons to his racist grandpa in regards to the brawl v melee argument outside the apex 2012 venue when I went out for a smoke. The "close-minded" point easily stands.

the last bit of his post about "brawl kiddies" was also an obvious exaggeration. I got the impression that it was intended to be humorous.

I chuckled.

I mean, I enjoy brawl and think it's a good game. I've probably been playing competitive melee longer than 90% of the people that will end up going to FC. I probably won't even enter brawl if it's at FC, because I would be going there for melee. It's people's attitudes about the entire situation that is upsetting people, not if the kishes are going to run brawl. There is a huge sense of entitlement.
So brawl players don't like hard core melee players' attitudes.

Oh well?

We earned it.

It's our game.

We built it from the ground up.

When super smash brothers donnybrook get's released in 2018, and they dumb the game down even further (removing all the things that brawl players love about their game in the process) they will treat the SSBDB community the exact same way we treated the brawl community and they will have every right to.

The younger generation will always feel resentment towards those who came before them. Since time immemorial teenagers have desperately sought their parent's approval and respect regardless of how asinine their views and hobbies were. I'm sure all of you remember times when your parents gave you **** about your super hip views and hobbies. I sure do.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't love your game. Just stop getting pissy when people who know a little more about the subject tell you it is an inferior game.

In every way that matters, the newest star wars movies are inferior to the originals and the only people that actually disagree with this are deluded.

I still love them because I grew up with them and they were mine. I love hating on them as well. Just because I love something doesn't mean I can't recognize it's flaws.

The flaws of those movies provide me endless hours of entertainment.

MIDI-****ing-CHLORIANS.

Old cartoon network cartoons are a great example as well.

tl;dr

The root of the issue here is pride.

Every time a melee player tells a brawl player that their game is crappy it hurts their pride. The reverse is also true.

The difference here is the type of pride that the two communities feel towards their respective games.

Melee players enjoy the pride of accomplishment.

Brawl players enjoy the “Hey look at me! I'm Special” pride.

One is justified and the other isn't.

Grow up and join the wonderful world of adults you butthurt babies.

When you finally do, we can all unite and be elitist towards the next smash brothers community.

tl;;;dr

Your game is crappy.

Love it tenderly.

Meanwhile, I don't want no "brawlies" goin' to school with my children.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
who cares if brawl is there

lots of fighting game tournaments feature ****ty games too, the Marvel players just ignore them. Take notes Melee community ^_^

One request: Wife (and Husband if he makes it out) on commentary. For top 8 at least. Lets show the world Melee's UltraChen. legit commentary duo legggoooooo

Too bad I'm probably going to be at the tournament and not able to hear it =P

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Y'know, once... just ONCE... I would like to have a thread that does not devolve into Brawl Vs. Melee... It's completely assinine. Neither side will ever truly agree with the other, and every compromise will be mired in someone's salty tears of hate.

Personally, I would rather not have Brawl there. However, I am willing to admit that much of that is my personal distaste for Brawl's marathon-like matches and metagame. As well as my rose-tinted view of the Melee scene as I experienced it back in ye olden days.
I am not a 'close-minded old geezer' either-- I was one of the strongest proponents for giving Brawl a chance in my community, even when many of the game's flaws were being uncovered. Eventually, my enthusiasm gave way as I found that the way the metagame developed, it was anathema to my preferred personal approach to gameplay, so I quietly left the newly formed Brawl community(and Smashboards in general) to their own devices.

I do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings, but MELEE-FC holds a special place in the hearts of many players that a lot of you newer people may have never even heard of. Indeed, most of the stalwarts of the current Brawl scene cut their teeth on Melee, and were drawn in by the Crew Battles that those events spawned. Even many of the current Melee players have never experienced an event of this magnitude.

When someone mentions FC, it has meaning, history, a weight that many of you younger guys can't possibly comprehend yet. That is why there is such passion and fever among the veterans. Most of us want you guys to understand what this community once was...

It wasn't built on a game that featured more time-outs than victories by KO. Tournaments didn't 'run long' and people didn't get kicked out of the building because we went over our paid for venue time. People didn't 'split the pot' and forego Grand Finals because they were tired and wanted to go home or were BFFs--No we had Regional Pride--Oklahoma hated Texas, but we always got our money taken at home, so we would go down there and wreck the first two rounds, and then eliminate oursleves before Quarterfinals(usually because Po would draw someone like Ken or M2K in his first-round bracket and/or never even get out of pools, lol), but if we went to a Regional, we teamed with our Red River foes and cheered them on against the Coasts.
East Coast talked mad **** and almost always backed it up, until Ken took the game over and made West Coast the Best Coast. M2K rose from being absolute garbage to being the Undisputed Best, until a kid named Mango emerged from the depths to challenge him. Isai was Jesus(still is, actually) and bested people without ever really trying, and when he and Ken teamed, it was like Jesus and Bruce Lee did the Fusion Dance and made everybody look free.

THAT is what people think of when they remember FC, and they don't want anything to tamper with those golden memories. I agree, but it is not my call as to whether or not Brawl is included. I do not wish to see part of the Smash Community feel alienated, but Brawl has had its great tournies and has established itself as its own Community. I, and many other old-schoolers just want one last go at a great Melee event... Would you guys mind giving us this one just this one time?

Bottom line of this ridiculously long rant:

Whether Brawl is there or not, Po will be there, having a good time with people he hasn't seen/played in YEARS

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tournaments didn't 'run long' and people didn't get kicked out of the building because we went over our paid for venue time. People didn't 'split the pot' and forego Grand Finals because they were tired and wanted to go home or were BFFs--No we had Regional Pride
Wat

Did you play Melee? O_o

That stuff happened all the time. Pot splitting was super common, especially.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I like the way all the drama happens on the boards, but at the event, no one will care aside from the people entering both events.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wat

Did you play Melee? O_o

That stuff happened all the time. Pot splitting was super common, especially.
Never at nationals.

Alright guys I think the Kishes get our message/desire. Cut the Brawl talk imo, I think they'll run a great event regardless.

Drephen

Smash Master
All this brawl hate is making me not want to go honestly. A lot of the melee community come off as stuck-up elitists and I really don't understand it. The brawl community improved the melee scene in a lot of ways, and several big brawl TO's have hosted large melee tournaments. The immaturity being displayed is a huge turn-off to interacting with a lot of people in the melee community in person.

I understand not liking a game but having a vendetta against a video game is just absurd.
yoyoyo, dont let random people in this reflect the views of the kishes or the tournament FC. And as stated many times before, once people will get there, no one will care who is entering what. its not like "oh you play brawl? I'm gonna beat the **** outta you!." If that happens i will laugh for a bit, then lay the smack down for fighting over a video game and being stupid.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I might come... if my brother (blunted_object10) isn't going, i'll need a teammate.

EDIT: I main fox and falcon.
Realllly ****ing hoping Jesse is going to go, but have a strong hunch he wont. You down? Guarantee the leaps you saw me make from nov GC-manifest will be even greater leading up to this ****. I wont let you down. If you find someone actually "good" though, I understand that.

D

Deleted member

there would be no debate if brawl didn't suck so unbelievably ****ing bad

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
You play Ice Climbers, you have no commenting room!
Took me an hr to read this whole thread on my phone and this is the one quote that stuck out to me.
Are you implying that those who play Ice climbers choose to do so because they don't need any tech skill and are the equivalent to the reasons why he dislikes brawl?
That is probably the most depressing thing I've heard on here.

Also as long as the brawl matches don't interfere with the melee matches and the venue is big enough to contain both, then why let the game get to you? I dislike brawl competitively but I'm not *** hurt.

I've never been to an FC or met any of the Kish, but from what I've heard they are top tier when it comes to running tournaments. They hosted 64 as a side so why ***** about brawl? Like they said, lets wait till the rule set comes out.

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Man the hype for this event is off the chain. I can't wait to beat up some washed-up old-timers at this thing. :D

Armada

Smash Lord
I don't understand this kind of brawl hate and even I HATE brawl.
Only example I can understand if melee players was a bit pissed off inthose 6 nationals I have attend is second day at Apex.

But I actually have no problem if brawl is running during the same event. Seems like every tournament have been able to finish before the venue close (except from brawl something at Genesis maybe?). And I have actually been talking to some of the brawl players at those nationals and they are great guys.

Well I know FC have been without brawl in the past but if the TOs believe they can finish everything in time and give us a great event we should not act like whine babies.

Zicore

Smash Champion
Wait, Snex is a registered sex offender?
I'm not 100% sure. I just know whenever I saw him at a tournament, he would always have on the "I'm a registered sex offender" t-shirt on and just awkwardly next to people who were getting their pictures taken. Was hilarious.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hmmm.

I seem to have wandered into a time machine.

So weird, the sign outside said "Free Cookies." I was totally lied to.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
lots of fighting game tournaments feature ****ty games too, the Marvel players just ignore them. Take notes Melee community ^_^
please tell me this was done ironically

EDIT: Drephen - if you're going, I promise I'll finally repay you those cinnamon toast crunch cereal bars

clowsui

Smash Legend
Took me an hr to read this whole thread on my phone and this is the one quote that stuck out to me.
Are you implying that those who play Ice climbers choose to do so because they don't need any tech skill and are the equivalent to the reasons why he dislikes brawl?
That is probably the most depressing thing I've heard on here

:phone:
The ONE thing you choose to cherry pick is a joke about the ICs and how it's widely believed they're cheap as **** (despite being difficult)?

Did you not read ANY OF THE OTHER FKING DEPRESSING *** POSTS THAT SHOW THE HUGE DIVIDE THAT MELEE PLAYERS WANT TO CREATE BETWEEN THEMSELVES AND A POTENTIAL PLAYER BASE?

mercy be on my soul

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I'm not 100% sure. I just know whenever I saw him at a tournament, he would always have on the "I'm a registered sex offender" t-shirt on and just awkwardly next to people who were getting their pictures taken. Was hilarious.
That just sounds like he likes to wear t-shirts.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Haha...the one and only original.

Why do so many smashers not folow up on their debts?

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hate t-shirts. I'm not going to this stupid tournament if people are allowed to wear t-shirts to it. Have some respect, Kishes.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
mmmm

so many old and new people gonna be at this.

i hope i have plenty of money to challenge so many people who have been to FC's before.

especially any ganons from that era. mmmmmm

KishSquared

Smash Master
Speaking of T-Shirts, who is designing this FC's shirts? I need a complete collection :D
Haha...the one and only original.
someone find mookieRah's phone number and get him to design the t-shirts.
No need for that!
I would buy a 3 pack of FC Legacy t-shirts
Definitely getting at least one t-shirt.
Yesssssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom