• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Hearing Melee players say "booooo" when Brawl is being played and heckling Brawl players simply being from there is not uncommon, unfortunately.
Bro, if you don't want to take **** from real bowlers by playing with the kiddie bumpers on, stop playing with the stupid looking kiddie bumpers on and return to the real game.

As long as there is time to do all the different tournies and crew, as well as getting the same amount of time for friendlies and what not as there was in the past, both games will be good at the same time in dis shiz.

OS (and kel for that matter), I think watching you lie to yourself about the quality of brawl is more painful than actually sitting down and watching the game that sakurai purposefully watered down.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm going to be a little disappointed if there aren't crews at this tournament because of Brawl.

voorhese

Smash Master
I hope if it is an April fools joke, it is about having brawl there and not that the tourney all together is a joke.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bro, if you don't want to take **** from real bowlers by playing with the kiddie bumpers on, stop playing with the stupid looking kiddie bumpers on and return to the real game.

As long as there is time to do all the different tournies and crew, as well as getting the same amount of time for friendlies and what not as there was in the past, both games will be good at the same time in dis shiz.

OS (and kel for that matter), I think watching you lie to yourself about the quality of brawl is more painful than actually sitting down and watching the game that sakurai purposefully watered down.
It'd be one thing to hear this from someone who accomplished something during the history of Melee, but from Trail? That's like hearing a guy talk about how better baseball is over soccer because he was a beast in little league.

:B

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
It'd be one thing to hear this from someone who accomplished something during the history of Melee, but from Trail? That's like hearing a guy talk about how better baseball is over soccer because he was a beast in little league.

:B
hmmm ya u kno me im def one to dish out them probs to a quality burn.... but i think u need to try that again, something missed the mark.

i see where u were going with it tho lol and tbh i think it would mean less. If i was one who was always winning money at melee one would be able to argue that I hate brawl because i'm only good at melee and enjoy winning money at it. The problem is that nothing like that has kept me playing melee besides the fact that it is a better game and I enjoy it more. The history of my gaming career has consisted of starcraft, ssbm, halo, counterstrike, etc. (pretty much all of the best pro-gaming titles). Brawl falls far and i do mean FAR from the tree when it comes to standing it up as a quality competitive game.

Alas, ima let u rethink ur **** talk, ur spittin weak *** jokes like Gallagher, all ur missin is dem watermelons boi

voorhese

Smash Master
hmmm ya u kno me im def one to dish out them probs to a quality burn.... but i think u need to try that again, something missed the mark.

i see where u were going with it tho lol and tbh i think it would mean less. If i was one who was always winning money at melee one would be able to argue that I hate brawl because i'm only good at melee and enjoy winning money at it. The problem is that nothing like that has kept me playing melee besides the fact that it is a better game and I enjoy it more. The history of my gaming career has consisted of starcraft, ssbm, halo, counterstrike, etc. (pretty much all of the best pro-gaming titles). Brawl falls far and i do mean FAR from the tree when it comes to standing it up as a quality competitive game.

Alas, ima let u rethink ur **** talk, ur spittin weak *** jokes like Gallagher, all ur missin is dem watermelons boi
says the man who shows up to a tourney, gets 1st seed in his pool and then tells us nerds he has better **** to do today and leaves.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Sadly it is unlikely that I will attend this tournament, (I'll hopefully become a permanent resident in Sweden around that time) however, as mentioned earlier I'll be designing the t-shirts once again.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Get froed. :B

Brawl's a solid fighter. If Smash 64 was released, and then Brawl was released, everyone would have thought Brawl was awesome. You're just comparing it to Melee instead of looking at it as its own game and thinking that some things "should" be. I like SF: 3rd Strike the best by far of all the street fighters, and was disappointed with SF4. Ditto with MvC2 and Ultimate MvC3. I like SF4 and MvC3, I just think their predecessors were games that fit what I enjoy. Doesn't make them worse games, and I certainly don't go out of my way to try to let other people know that my game is "better".

All the melee kids talking about how awful Brawl is are saying the same stuff the SRK kids said about Melee. To them, Melee is the garbage game. We know it isn't because we played it and got good at it. You're just one mental step behind people who played Melee and then played Brawl. :p

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master

Brawl's a solid fighter. If Smash 64 was released, and then Brawl was released, everyone would have thought Brawl was awesome. You're just comparing it to Melee instead of looking at it as its own game and thinking that some things "should" be. I like SF: 3rd Strike the best by far of all the street fighters, and was disappointed with SF4. Ditto with MvC2 and Ultimate MvC3. I like SF4 and MvC3, I just think their predecessors were games that fit what I enjoy. Doesn't make them worse games, and I certainly don't go out of my way to try to let other people know that my game is "better".

All the melee kids talking about how awful Brawl is are saying the same stuff the SRK kids said about Melee. To them, Melee is the garbage game. We know it isn't because we played it and got good at it. You're just one mental step behind people who played Melee and then played Brawl. :p
The SF and MvC sequals were all designed to be competitive fighting games.
The problem is Brawl was crafted with the specific intention of being a non-competitive fighting game title. The game was purposefully formed into a watered down version of melee to make it more user friendly to all the nubs in hopes that we would all join hands and frolic in a land of floaty/campy characters that lack the ability to combo and do previously popular advanced techniques. My problem with the game is the specific intent of its creator to destroy greatness. Why people embrace this is humerous to me.

oh and Kel = Nub

afk

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

I played Brawl seriously for 2 months, got decent to okay at it, and it was still extremely boring and shallow. Your comparison is invalid.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Yeah Overswarm, that is a really bad comparison. There are TONS of Melee players that have played brawl and still say it's bad. I recall M2K saying several times how he still thinks Melee is better. In fact, I've played more competitive brawl than Melee because the scene was bigger in my area, introduced players to brawl, and experienced high level play first hand, and I still say brawl is a terrible game.

Not that any of this makes hating brawl valid, I'm just really tired of seeing this comparison. Besides, there's a lot of FGC people who recognize Melee as good and still hate brawl. Your comparison is wrong in most areas.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I played Brawl seriously before I even knew about Melee. So your point is quite invalid, though I agree with your overall point.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The main problem with Overswarm's point is that it assumes that Melee players are ignorant of Brawl and that's why we dislike it, like FGC; rather, the reason we dislike it is because we know quite a bit about it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There's nothing wrong with not liking the game. Saying it's not competitive is silly considering the years of consistent results and the fact that the game hasn't hit a skill ceiling yet. Just because something tests different skills doesn't make it noncompetitive.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's a bad argument as well. I could run a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament and get several entrants; it wouldn't prove much about the games competitiveness. Regardless, this isn't the place for such a discussion.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But Trail! I want to be able to do things while I'm in Hitstun (?????)! What ever will I do!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's a bad argument as well. I could run a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament and get several entrants; it wouldn't prove much about the games competitiveness. Regardless, this isn't the place for such a discussion.
Wait..what? Your post literally addresses nothing in mine lmao not even sure if you are replying to me. Unless you somehow took the last statement out of context. I said CONSISTENT results and also mentioned the lack of a skill cap, hard to believe you brought up RPS.

Melee tests the same skills as brawl along with many more.
I would agree with this actually. I think brawl tests a few different skills, but mostly the same with melee testing more. There is no question to me at least that melee is one of the deepest competitive games period. That doesn't mean games that aren't as deep can't be competitive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom