• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchups Chart & Lists - Updated: 29/Oct

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
One Question: Match-Up Ratios show to how many % a certain character would win against another at highest Level of play right (near to perfect playing a character) ?

So I would say Snake vs. CF is 90:10 at least because Snake counters nearly EVERYTHING CF has (Really I'm not kidding) there will never be a CF (Not Ally or someone else) who could beat the best Snakes... EVER ! Same thing would happen with some of MK MUs (Vs. Link for example). I think the Character Boards are just to "soft" with some MUs. A perfect planking pit would have some really crazy MUs, because some characters cant do ANYTHING vs. that. A perfect Spamming/Camping/Running away Falco could also destroy some character. Same thing with Olimar.

I brought this up here because it's a general problem of the character boards and their threads.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lol dude play Hive with boozer, she'll annihilate re-instal faith that it's a bad counter char choice.

EDIT:Dude up there^ makes a good point

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
One Question: Match-Up Ratios show to how many % a certain character would win against another at highest Level of play right (near to perfect playing a character) ?

So I would say Snake vs. CF is 90:10 at least because Snake counters nearly EVERYTHING CF has (Really I'm not kidding) there will never be a CF (Not Ally or someone else) who could beat the best Snakes... EVER ! Same thing would happen with some of MK MUs (Vs. Link for example). I think the Character Boards are just to "soft" with some MUs. A perfect planking pit would have some really crazy MUs, because some characters cant do ANYTHING vs. that. A perfect Spamming/Camping/Running away Falco could also destroy some character. Same thing with Olimar.

I brought this up here because it's a general problem of the character boards and their threads.
In your question you answer yourself.

If you think CF is totally nerfed by Snake I'd like to invite you to share that information with the Snake boards please (If you haven't already). They might not be currently discussing CF however, remember to bring up your point on CF when they will be.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
xDD-Master - try more like 60-40. Falcon can get in on us. If we were that hard with our MU's every matchup would either be 0-100 or 100-0. Because if CF cannot do anything, where does that 10% come from?

Also, if we have 90:10 on Falcon - we have 95:5 on Falco.

sasook

Smash Champion
I think DDD vs Link is more ****** than shown. Grab= offstage= back air Link's sucky recovery= death for Link. I think it's something like 80/20 Dedede at least
80/20 and 75/25 are close enough, which is what we have it at.

After 75:25 ratios really don't matter anyway. It doesn't matter that much if a character has a 25% chance to win or a 15% chance because we'll likely **** them either way.

Also, who cares about Link? Seriously.
This comment made me sad. D:

Yeah, because insulting people who main a specific character is just soooooooooo clever, right? Sure, you're disrespecting all the work they put into his metagame, but who cares because Link sucks?

I'm sorry, but comments like that make me sick! :mad:
Thank you.

I only meant you had the final say and you're, like, the most anti-Ganon Ganon player ever.
From whatever little I've seen of you in the Ganon community, I have to agree with this Kalm.

Same thing would happen with some of MK MUs (Vs. Link for example).
We have it at 20:80, FYI. The Links aren't exactly the most optimistic of boards, we try to keep things realistic.

B!squick

Smash Master
And it's really disheartening because Inui is the best Ganon ever and he doesn't even play Ganon. Why do you even bother trying Kalm?

Lol @ that thing Inui had said. XD

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
We have it at 20:80, FYI. The Links aren't exactly the most optimistic of boards, we try to keep things realistic.
Then it should be 100:0. Top Link (Izaw ???) will NEVER defeat any MK who knows to do (Izaw got 2stocked by reaper's MK for example). Well OK thats my opinion :dizzy:

sasook

Smash Champion
Then it should be 100:0. Top Link (Izaw ???) will NEVER defeat any MK who knows to do (Izaw got 2stocked by reaper's MK for example). Well OK thats my opinion :dizzy:
Not Izaw, Deva is by far the top Link atm, and he's taken out plenty of good MKs in tourneys. These MKs haven't been like, M2k status, but he's beaten Washington's top MK before (Jem I think?). And he said he 2 stocked Dphat (MK/Marth player, PR'd in Texas) at Genesis. At tourneyplay, Deva friendlied Tyrant, and this was Tyrant's quote:

"It's weird, you play Link so perfectly that he seems tourney viable when you use him. You punish everything I do and dont leave me anything to punish. I dont mean for Link being low tier and if you used someone good you'd do better, I mean I dont feel like I have an advantage against you regardless."

100:0 is sorta lulzy, I mean, it's bad but, it's not unwinnable. M2k and Ninjalink themselves have said in the past that Link is capable of putting up a fight, so long as he stays onstage.

Not bragging though, Link still sucks, the matchup still sucks, and MK is still ****.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'd say it has to be 85:15 or 80:20 in Mk's favor. Link may have a chance onstage, but Mk has the advantage all time. Just hope for the player to be less skilled.

Inui stopped playing Ganon? I hope not...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
xDD-Master - try more like 60-40. Falcon can get in on us. If we were that hard with our MU's every matchup would either be 0-100 or 100-0. Because if CF cannot do anything, where does that 10% come from?

Also, if we have 90:10 on Falcon - we have 95:5 on Falco.
tripping. Why would falcon have a better match up than falco though?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Not Izaw, Deva is by far the top Link atm, and he's taken out plenty of good MKs in tourneys. These MKs haven't been like, M2k status, but he's beaten Washington's top MK before (Jem I think?). And he said he 2 stocked Dphat (MK/Marth player, PR'd in Texas) at Genesis. At tourneyplay, Deva friendlied Tyrant, and this was Tyrant's quote:

"It's weird, you play Link so perfectly that he seems tourney viable when you use him. You punish everything I do and dont leave me anything to punish. I dont mean for Link being low tier and if you used someone good you'd do better, I mean I dont feel like I have an advantage against you regardless."

100:0 is sorta lulzy, I mean, it's bad but, it's not unwinnable. M2k and Ninjalink themselves have said in the past that Link is capable of putting up a fight, so long as he stays onstage.

Not bragging though, Link still sucks, the matchup still sucks, and MK is still ****.
Yeah but its maybe just the players mistake, we all know Link is good on-Stage, but MK (Or DDD) will OR should get him off-Stage and **** him there (Where Link is TRASH). A good MK should always get Link off-stage and gimp him. MK HAS the tools to do it, if he doesnt do it, its the MKs fault because maybe he didnt know the Match-up well.

When a Link can get an MK always down to 1 Stock 100% but still looses EVERY match, the match-up ratio should still be 100:0, nevermind if the Link is nearly winning or not. Just to mention that.

But yeah maybe its the wrong topic here to discuss that <_>

Sry if I am wrong in everything I say, but thats my opinion explained in bad englisch xD

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Good Link players actually recover well enough. Link has ridiculously good momentum cancelling and can survive to very high percentages if he doesn't get gimped. Gimping is of course a reality for Link, but the Boomerang and his Bombs are very good tools to assist him in avoiding this situation.

Basically, gimping a pro Link player is not that easy and he will make you work for it.

I've said it before: Link is a different animal from most characters in Brawl. It takes a ridiculously good player to make him viable, but he is more viable (not top level quality) if you are that player. Match-ups can go from being 20:80 to 40:60 or better. You'd have to be stupid to laugh off Legan's Link. He'd probably beat many good Meta Knight players.

n88

Smash Lord
Yeah but its maybe just the players mistake, we all know Link is good on-Stage, but MK (Or DDD) will OR should get him off-Stage and **** him there (Where Link is TRASH). A good MK should always get Link off-stage and gimp him. MK HAS the tools to do it, if he doesnt do it, its the MKs fault because maybe he didnt know the Match-up well.
Well, sure MK's gonna try to get Link off-stage and gimp him, but any Link who can play the game will expect that before the match even starts.

Plus, there's the fact that Link is bottom-tier and has a bad match-up vs. MK. Because of this, many MKs will learn the Link match-up later than others, if they bother to learn it, and have low odds of playing against a Link at a tourney.

Whereas Link mains will know the Metaknight match-up fairly well.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know Link sucks. MK still ***** Link. I'm just saying that it's not as one-sided as it may appear.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well, sure MK's gonna try to get Link off-stage and gimp him, but any Link who can play the game will expect that before the match even starts.

Plus, there's the fact that Link is bottom-tier and has a bad match-up vs. MK. Because of this, many MKs will learn the Link match-up later than others, if they bother to learn it, and have low odds of playing against a Link at a tourney.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know Link sucks. MK still ***** Link. I'm just saying that it's not as one-sided as it may appear.
MK doesn't need to know the matchup, it's really not that hard to figure out. MK can go into a match not knowing the matchup, and just play regular MK, and have a chance at winning.

sasook

Smash Champion

When a Link can get an MK always down to 1 Stock 100% but still looses EVERY match, the match-up ratio should still be 100:0, nevermind if the Link is nearly winning or not. Just to mention that.

But yeah maybe its the wrong topic here to discuss that <_>

Sry if I am wrong in everything I say, but thats my opinion explained in bad englisch xD
I understand where you're coming from, really I do, but what you're saying is basically MK's point of view of the matchup. I'm simply trying to explain it from Link's point of view. MK is his worst matchup, not far behind him is D3. ArkiveZero (one of the best Links in the USA before he quit not long ago) once said "a good Link will beat a decent MK. A great Link will beat a good MK. But a great Link will never beat a great MK." Now, by going by this, yes, it should be 100:0, as you say. But, as I've explained before, if Link stays onstage, he can put up a fight. Not much of one, granted, but still one nonetheless.

The common misconception is that Link specializes in spamming. This only has a tiny bit of truth to it. While it does seem that way, his projectiles suck. They're slow, laggy, and he has to constantly move just to spam. The truth is, Link specializes in spacing. Playing at midrange. And a great Link will always know what to do when it comes to spacing MK.

Lastly, Link's dair ***** MK when it connects. A fresh dair will KO MK on any neutral ridiculously early, no joke. And any decent Link knows how to set up a dair and autocancel it every time.

Like I said though, the matchup still sucks. I'm making it sound better than it actually is. I just wanted to share from Link's perspective.

Good Link players actually recover well enough. Link has ridiculously good momentum cancelling and can survive to very high percentages if he doesn't get gimped. Gimping is of course a reality for Link, but the Boomerang and his Bombs are very good tools to assist him in avoiding this situation.

Basically, gimping a pro Link player is not that easy and he will make you work for it.

I've said it before: Link is a different animal from most characters in Brawl. It takes a ridiculously good player to make him viable, but he is more viable (not top level quality) if you are that player. Match-ups can go from being 20:80 to 40:60 or better. You'd have to be stupid to laugh off Legan's Link. He'd probably beat many good Meta Knight players.
Lol, SFP knows from personal experience against me. =P

I've said this before: Link's recovery can be aided by bomb explosions, throwing boomerangs/arrows at the opponents trying to gimp, hitting the opponent away with a fair/nair, and his high priority (thank god) spin attack. That, and all good Link players have broken DI. This is fact, not an exaggeration. But even with all this, Link gets gimped almost as hard as Oli or Ganon or Ivy.

This is all very true, I agree with this.

However....

MK doesn't need to know the matchup, it's really not that hard to figure out. MK can go into a match not knowing the matchup, and just play regular MK, and have a chance at winning.
This. Sadly, it's the truth.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I understand where you're coming from, really I do, but what you're saying is basically MK's point of view of the matchup. I'm simply trying to explain it from Link's point of view. MK is his worst matchup, not far behind him is D3. ArkiveZero (one of the best Links in the USA before he quit not long ago) once said "a good Link will beat a decent MK. A great Link will beat a good MK. But a great Link will never beat a great MK." Now, by going by this, yes, it should be 100:0, as you say. But, as I've explained before, if Link stays onstage, he can put up a fight. Not much of one, granted, but still one nonetheless.
IMO it's not.

Falco and DDD are worse than MK.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
No offense to anyone but this isn't really the place to discuss specific match-ups. Noting that a match-up has changed, however, is a generous post. You all have great opinions and should bring those up in the corresponding boards/match-up threads. Thanks

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Umm, I noted that lucario boards have Peach as 60:40 Lucario's favor, and wolf as 50:50, so that would be a new thing to put up on that list.

Rajam

Smash Champion
OP updated:

26-Jul-2009: Charizard 40 Falco, 45 Ice Climbers, 60 Ness; Ivysaur 30 Falco, 35 Ice Climbers, 45 Ness; King Dedede 40 Olimar, 45 Meta Knight; Kirby 40 Olimar, 55 Falco; Marth 60 Sonic; Meta Knight 60 Lucario, Zero Suit Samus; Olimar 60 Kirby; Pokémon Trainer 45 Falco, 50 Ice Climbers; Snake 45 King Dedede; Squirtle 60 Falco, 65 Ice Climbers, Ness; Toon Link 45 King Dedede, Marth, 50 Kirby, 55 Ice Climbers, Luigi; Wario 50 Falco, King Dedede, 60 Diddy Kong, and new thread; Zelda 25 Meta Knight, 35 Marth, 40 Diddy Kong

Rajam

Smash Champion
Umm, I noted that lucario boards have Peach as 60:40 Lucario's favor, and wolf as 50:50, so that would be a new thing to put up on that list.
? I checked the Lucario's matchup thread, and i didn't find that :S Well maybe it's because i only check the 1st post mostly, i can't start to look deeper into the threads searching for the official ratios, that would take a bunch of time...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
? I checked the Lucario's matchup thread, and i didn't find that :S Well maybe it's because i only check the 1st post mostly, i can't start to look deeper into the threads searching for the official ratios, that would take a bunch of time...
I guess I'll have to put it on the timeline on the first post then.
Sorry, but the chart hasn't been updated in awhile, so I guess that's a good note.
But take it from the MU thread owner that those are the changed ratios.:)

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Does Sonic have any approach on Wario? If he use spin attacks to approach Wario I easily stop with either nair, fair or dair. Wario outpriorises Sonic.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Falcos match ups have been filled in more and changed. Kirby Pika Diddy Peach Lucario Mario Sonic r a few to just say.
Links please; at least the OP of the Falco matchups hasn't been updated since 1/Jun

Ganon match-up chart has been updated, 07/09/09.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202473
? The OP is updated up until 26/Jun

I really hope this is finished one day.
Me too ._.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP updated:

04-Aug-2009: Captain Falcon's last thread erased; Donkey Kong 40 Ice Climbers, Olimar, 50 Luigi, Wario, 55 Fox; Ice Climbers 50 Pokémon Trainer; Ike 35 Marth, and new thread; Kirby 50 Toon Link; Link's last thread erased; Lucario 50 Wolf, 55 Luigi, 60 Peach; Marth 55 Zero Suit Samus; Wolf 40 Wario, 45 Snake, and last thread erased

Rajam

Smash Champion
Sorry about the double post, i wanted to explain a little the maths behind the matchup tier List. The next is a copy-paste of what i explained to a guy who asked me a time ago how does it work.

hey, i just saw your tier list based on matchups... i wanna say that i am impressed with how you calculated it, and i wanna know how you did it! im trying to make the same type of tier list for another game, and i want to know if you used any tools that i may also be able to use. thanks! :)

Hi! Thanks for your words, it's been a hard work :)

I don't use anything special besides common excel, so i'll tell you the maths behind for the Tier List:

1) I calculate the average ratio for every character "i" (i = MetaKnight, Snake, etc.), like showed in the Ranking List; let's call that average ratio Ri

2) I put that ratio Ri in the next formula:
Ti = [ 1/(100-Ri) - 1/100 ]^N
Where N is a factor i'll explain later, and Ti is a measure i picked of my own for seeing how important a matchup against the character "i" would be.

So, for example if Ri = 0, or near 0 (a character that has an average ratio of almost 0 against the others... no chance to win ever), you'll have Ti = 0 or near 0, for any N. That reflects that a matchup against that character doesn't matter at all
Now, if Ri = 100, or near 100 (a character that wins every matchup for sure always), you'll have Ti = infinite (for any N). That means the matchup against such a character is all that matters

3) Ok, next step is to build the right ponderators, for that, sum all the Ti's and let's call that sum T. Then, the ponderator Pi for every character is:
Pi = Ti/T
A note about T: In an ideal world, T would be the sum of all the Ti's as i said before, but, for every character, T changes, because it deppends if you have or not the ratios for every character. For example, if MetaKnight has not ratio against Pikachu, then T for MetaKnight would be the sum of all the Ti's except the one Ti that is for Pikachu. Remember to don't take into account the matchups for which there is not ratio

4) Choose a non negative N (the N from the formula in part 2). N is like a measure of how balanced is the game. If N=0, all the ponderators will be the same and you'll get the Ranking list instead of the Tier list; Now in the opposite, if N is big, the matchups against characters with higher average ratios Ri will matter more (and matchups against characters with low Ri will matter less). If you pick N near infinite, the matchup against the character with the highest Ri (MetaKnight for example) will be the only one that matters, independent the value of Ri (it doesn't need to be near 100 if you pick a huge N)
If you want to know... i picked N = 4 :) (***) but i suggest you to play around with this value, it can change your Tier List dramatically

5) Now you are almost ready! Last step is to calculate the ponderated ratio and build the Tier List. Let's see an example:

If Metaknight has a matchup ratio of 60 against Pikachu, 50 against Snake and 70 Ganondorf (and no more ratios), his ponderated ratio would be:

Ppikachu*60 + Psnake*50 + Pganondorf*70 + Pmetaknight*50

(Don't forget to include the mirror matchup with ratio 50)

----

Well, i hope you could understand something; don't hesitate to ask any doubt :) Good Luck with your Tier List!

(***): Recently i changed this value into the standard desviation of the average ratios of the whole roster. That's why the list changed a lot this time

Top Bottom