• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #7! Diddy Kong

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
You can semi grab release diddy when he jump breaks run in for a f-air, up-b, or dancing blade.

After playing ninjalink's diddy I declare this match-up even

It came down to the wire last hit.
But we only played 1 match then he had to go :( but that was at ch3 it was a while ago my play style is a lot different now. But I still think the match-up is even.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yup. Playing one match with the best Diddy player in the world and then going by that experience is certainly the best way to judge a match-up.

Maverick...I'm disappointed in you.

*cries to myself.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Lol I forgot to mention that I play a really good diddy everyday. My friend Boss (not the one who plays mario) In a way plays sort of like ninjalink with the dribbling and sheild pressuring. I know this match-up pretty well but I still think this is a even match-up. Plus a really technical diddy can counter mk

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ninja Link and I agree that Diddy does not counter MK. Novelty counters anyone.

That said I think this match is 60/40 Marth's advantage.

I'll give my reasoning later.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
True lol novelty does counter anyone.
But with early kills and gimping his recovery and semi-grab realease ( via jump break into attacks) and some1 mentioned f-throw to d-air at 25-45% kills with proper egdeguarding. I suppose that this match-up is in marth's favor.
60:40 or maybe 55:45.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I think it is as well. I also dont remember playing u at CH3 and i developed my game to a new level since then. Whoever saw me at Esticle can attest to that.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Its me kadaj. I can't change my log-in name

Remeber we played at the end of the tourny after you ***** toasty lol. It was recorded. I don't know if toasty posted the vid of our match tho. But yea I've gotten way better since then as well.

The match we played was on battlefield

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
smart counterpicks? imo: rainbow cruise.. flying platfors and stuff makes it hard to get hit by bananas and penut spam.. others any one? i can only think of rainbow cruise that is really good agenst him... pokemon stadium1?

edit: forgot if he gets u in his spammy lil a lock? dolphin slash out of it? works for me :D

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ban Stages: (in order of PRIORITY)
Final Destination
Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island Melee
Maybe: Smashville

Counterpick stages (in order of biased ****** ability):
Rainbow Ride
Rumble Falls
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I played a high caliber diddy yesterday (not NL level, but pretty good). I ***** him, lol. Stay aggressive and maintain momentum, while using his bananas against him. LEARN TO CATCH.
Who the hell did u play? i kno of no high-calibur diddys.

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
for diddy his bananas are anoying but they do no dmg lol so nothing to worry about my friend plays diddy but i beat him all the time its really easy just time ur smash attacks hes a quick little monkey but you can ken combo him so u just use a swipe in the air and then do a downward sweep for what i like to call a dunk

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, well everything I was going to say has been said pretty much. I think the match goes to Marth because he outdoes Diddy in pretty much every department.

He does greater knockback, does more damage hit for hit, has better aerials, better ground moves, is a better edgeguarder, he is harder to gimp and has better close range options and defensive options overall.

If it weren't for Diddy's nana game this match would be a blow out. Probably 80/20 Marth or worse.

But Diddy does have his amazing Nana game to help him out. There is so much he can do and it really opens up tons of options and augments his game in many ways. Combos, shield pressure, out of shield options, spacing options, traps and a few other things.

Marth has his fair share of things he can do to mitigate the effectiveness of the nana game though. He can land on a nana with a fair which would keep Diddy at bay and pick it up. If his shield is hit with a nana he can JC fair from shield to grab it and zone Diddy at the same time. If Diddy glide tosses into Marth's shield then he gets up bed. And of course Marth's glide toss is nothing to scoff at. The distance is huge and Marth can net tipper smashes or a free DB if the nana hits.

Diddy's Banana game is amazing. But the fact that Marth outclasses him in virtually every other way is enough to give him the match.

60/40 Marth's favor.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Ok, well everything I was going to say has been said pretty much. I think the match goes to Marth because he outdoes Diddy in pretty much every department.

He does greater knockback, does more damage hit for hit, has better aerials, better ground moves, is a better edgeguarder, he is harder to gimp and has better close range options and defensive options overall.

If it weren't for Diddy's nana game this match would be a blow out. Probably 80/20 Marth or worse.

But Diddy does have his amazing Nana game to help him out. There is so much he can do and it really opens up tons of options and augments his game in many ways. Combos, shield pressure, out of shield options, spacing options, traps and a few other things.

Marth has his fair share of things he can do to mitigate the effectiveness of the nana game though. He can land on a nana with a fair which would keep Diddy at bay and pick it up. If his shield is hit with a nana he can JC fair from shield to grab it and zone Diddy at the same time. If Diddy glide tosses into Marth's shield then he gets up bed. And of course Marth's glide toss is nothing to scoff at. The distance is huge and Marth can net tipper smashes or a free DB if the nana hits.

Diddy's Banana game is amazing. But the fact that Marth outclasses him in virtually every other way is enough to give him the match.

60/40 Marth's favor.
I think it's disputable whether Marth or Diddy is a better edgeguarder. Diddy has a few ranged options and can get back to the stage easier after a gimp. Honestly I would say Marth, but it's pretty close.

Marth's recovery covers much less distance, so simply hitting him out of his 2nd jump and grabbing the edge makes it difficult for Marth to recover. Diddy on the other hand has a horizontal recovery move (which doubles as a meteor if an unwary opponent messes up the spacing when trying to gimp him), and an excellent vertical / slightly horizontal recovery (the barrels). While he lacks the invincibility frames Marth does, the simple fact that he can recover from greater distances makes him harder to kill. Diddy is easier to hit out of his recovery than Marth, so you could argue that he's easier to gimp, but the fact remains that Marth's recovery is a lot worse so the fact that Diddy can be hit out of his more easily is pretty irrelevant. Also Marth can't really gimp Diddy very well if Diddy recovers low: he's really only in danger of being gimped by ROB or MK.

Your anti-banana tactics mentioned really only work if Diddy has one banana on the field. If he has two, Marth's fair won't zone him out, you'll just get hit in the face with another banana.

I do agree that Marth has an advantage in this match, but to say that he would curbstomp Diddy 80/20 without the bananas is just incorrect. That's basically saying without bananas, Diddy is Ganondorf or Captain Falcon, which just isn't true. Without his bananas, Diddy is definitely not as good of a character, but he would still be an average character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth curbstomps average characters.

Diddy's recovery covers more distance, but Marth is much harder to gimp.

As far as the match-up goes Diddy will be getting gimped more.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Gimping marth takes a bit more effort but it can be done. Banana drop anyone ^_^. Also i found a new diddy discovery that somewhat prevents him from bein gimped that no one knows of yet so be ready for that.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Marth can't do anything if Diddy recovers low? Ledgehopped d-air usually works for me...sometimes it backfires, but meh.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
another one that im kinda questioning here. I thought this one was even.

skimming through the topic all i see is "Diddy's banana's ****" and "he limits your options"

then i see the final score at 60:40

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If Diddy didn't have Nanas in this match Marth would destroy him.

Don't just skim it. Read it.

Diddy's nanas help him close the gap. That's all.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
some people in mbr wanted to rediscuss this, im just going to be bumping all the threads they thought necessary.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Yesterday i was messing around with banana's and Marth has a LOT of Naner tricks. I'll maybe make a thread about it, since there are lots and it would help the matchup.
Right now, i think the matchup is 55:45 Marth of even.

Albert.

Smash Master
I actually read this thread yesterday and it seemed outdated

it would be great if any of you had any new input because I'm telling you, all the scrub Diddy bannana spamers on AiB can always **** me :(

I guess I'm a scrub marth though so it fits...

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Stick to the air and glidetoss those bananas back at him if he throws them at you, he cant stop our Fair or our DB so pressure and punish with those. If we can trip him using his bananas we can follow up with a U-smash, which puts him in a pretty bad position since our U-air outranges his Dair by quite a bit and sets for very nice juggle traps (watch out for barrel canceling).
If he gets momentum though those banana locks hurt a lot, and he can hump you out of your shield easily so mix up shielding and spot dodging bananas.
Dont roll into bananas over and over again X_X

ADHD

Smash Hero
65-35 in marth's favor. Marth catches everything, he catches them alot if you keep spamming SH aerials. Diddy cannot compete with marth's zoning and spacing, so he has to take risks at poking attacks against it constantly. Marth gimps diddy with the counter stage spike and just fairs to push diddy away from the stage and then bair his rocket barrels. Glide tossing is useless in this matchup, good diddys are expecting it. Just watch out for diddy's bairs, fairs, and ftilt and you're good.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Watch out for the diddy hump (sideB) footstool. While Diddy's rocketbarrels are easily gimped, he has long-ranged recovery and can afford to lose height to gimp Marth.

Top Bottom