• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I think most of the Top/High Tier Match-up's are about even (considering most Top and High Tiers have roughly the same potential):

Fox - Puff: 0
Fox - Peach: 0
Fox - Falcon: +1

Sheik - Marth: +1
Sheik - Puff: 0

Marth - Puff: 0
Marth - Peach: 0

Puff - Falcon: 0
I have a problem with all these. Melee isn't some equal utopia at the top, characters still get ****ed up.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I have a problem with all these. Melee isn't some equal utopia at the top, characters still get ****ed up.
He's being conservative. With most of the top tiers losing a stock over one mistake, characters do get ****ed up, it's just heavily dependent on skill and mindgames. It goes either way.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I disagree with the following:

Young Link vs Mewtwo is more like a +3 in Young Link's favor.
Seriously. Its literally almost not conceivably possible for Mewtwo to actually win if the YL player is competent and not ********.

Young Link vs Falco is EASIER than Young Link vs Fox. YL can out camp Falco with platforms because Falco is a lot slower but he cannot out camp Fox. So its more like YL vs Fox is -3 and YL vs Falco is -2.

Young Link vs Peach should be a 0. Its an even match up.

Young Link vs Mario is at best a 0. Mario does not have that much of an advantage.

YL vs Doc should be a -1 in Doc's favor.

Young Link vs DK is in Young Link's favor. So its like a +1 or +2, not a -1 in DK's favor.

Everything else from a very quick glance looks okay I suppose. But the above is what stood out the most.
I realize that nobody knows any of this because almost nobody plays YL. But ask any YL main(all five of us) and they will pretty much probably agree with me. If anyone disagrees with me, I'll be more than happy to explain my reasons on these specific match ups.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
I realize that nobody knows any of this because almost nobody plays YL. But ask any YL main(all five of us) and they will pretty much probably agree with me. If anyone disagrees with me, I'll be more than happy to explain my reasons on these specific match ups.
lol wtf u aint a young link man u sheik user but your young link is waay too good

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Are you really going to main a character with a -3 against Fox, and -2 against Falco, Sheik, and Marth?

That's why there's not many Young Link mains >_<

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
I think most of the Top/High Tier Match-up's are about even (considering most Top and High Tiers have roughly the same potential):
Every character has the same amount of potential, this is just how they generally match up with each other. Hence this list being an approximation of averages, not fact.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
"Every character has the same amount of potential". Maybe you didn't word it the way you meant to? Fox clearly has more potential as a character than Bowser, Kirby, etc.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Are you really going to main a character with a -3 against Fox, and -2 against Falco, Sheik, and Marth?

That's why there's not many Young Link mains >_<

haha truth also out of curiosity is their gonna be another melee tier list cause just from looking at the chart falcon and jiggs should no way in hell be tied as jiggs has either an advantage where falcon has a disadvantage or has less of a disadvantage

oh and can sheik be changed by to -2 cause i dont see any justification (tourny wise) for it being anything less than -2

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
"Every character has the same amount of potential". Maybe you didn't word it the way you meant to? Fox clearly has more potential as a character than Bowser, Kirby, etc.
Well... I'm saying that the match-ups aren't definite. Any character can beat any character in a match Isn't this chart just an approximation of probability that one character is going to win a match and the other will lose? As in, Fox v. Pichu, Fox has a higher probability to win, but it's still only probability, and Pichu could win, right?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Any character can beat any other character, but a lot of the low tiers lack the tools to get around the tactics of better characters consistently. Beating someone when your character has an inherent disadvantage against their character requires you to be significantly better than they are, else you will fail a lot more than succeed.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Well... I'm saying that the match-ups aren't definite. Any character can beat any character in a match Isn't this chart just an approximation of probability that one character is going to win a match and the other will lose? As in, Fox v. Pichu, Fox has a higher probability to win, but it's still only probability, and Pichu could win, right?

pichu beats fox if and only if the pichu has the skill lvl of mango and the fox player is a 2 year old and even then chance of pichu winning is at best 50-50 lol

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
Any character can beat any other character, but a lot of the low tiers lack the tools to get around the tactics of better characters consistently. Beating someone when your character has an inherent disadvantage against their character requires you to be significantly better than they are, else you will fail a lot more than succeed.
All I'm saying is it's not impossible, and it's not 100% one will win and one will lose no matter what, even if the players are on the same skill level.

rhan

Smash Hero
I disagree with the following:

Young Link vs Mewtwo is more like a +3 in Young Link's favor.
Seriously. Its literally almost not conceivably possible for Mewtwo to actually win if the YL player is competent and not ********.

Young Link vs Falco is EASIER than Young Link vs Fox. YL can out camp Falco with platforms because Falco is a lot slower but he cannot out camp Fox. So its more like YL vs Fox is -3 and YL vs Falco is -2.

Young Link vs Peach should be a 0. Its an even match up.

Young Link vs Mario is at best a 0. Mario does not have that much of an advantage.

YL vs Doc should be a -1 in Doc's favor.

Young Link vs DK is in Young Link's favor. So its like a +1 or +2, not a -1 in DK's favor.
YLink v Mario: Goes in Mario's favor imo. Playing Boss showed me this. But it's more or less like vs Doc. Except his fireballs aren't as bad. and the fact that he floats more than Doc makes him slightly easier to kill. -1

YLink v Peach: I agree slightly. Honestly I think Peach has an advantage of like 0.7

YLink v Falco: Hard as **** matchup! Either I just suck against Falco's with YLink because apparently you and TRC do work against them. I play against Fox better than I do Falco. I guess it depends on the player in that situation. -3

YLink v Fox: I find easier than Falco but still at a disadvantage. -2

YLink v Mewtwo: LMAO Agree

YLink v Taj's Mewtwo: -2

Everything else from a very quick glance looks okay I suppose. But the above is what stood out the most.
I'm one of those 5 and I approve this message.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Low tiers obviously have to put in mad work to beat someone, especially if that person is using a high tier. We know this already. Although just because two people are on an equal level, but one is using lets say Fox and the other is using Bowser, doesn't necessarily mean the Fox player is gonna win. It all depends on the amount of mindgames each player has, how they apply those mindgames in a match, and the knowledge they know of the matchup at hand. People who play low tiers require an extreme amount of mindgames and setups to play their character at high level play. Thats why I've beaten mad pro/high level players who are even better than me. Low tiers require more mindgames than technical skill but of course having mad technical ability is also really useful and even required for a character like, lets say Mewtwo. We also know using low tiers against a high level player using a high tier is a huge risk and if we mess up the simplest thing like an L-cancel, we can be heavily punished or even killed. I don't use Bowser in tournament anymore either lol.

Zoler

Smash Ace
If they don't have the same knowledge about a matchup their skill level is not equal in that matchup imo.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i feel to play a low tier well and keep up you need to be incredibly accurate and precise with all of your punishes and movement. if you wanna play low tier, get your sloppy play outta here. in this way low tiers require an absurd about of tech skill even though it may not look as impressive as your doubleshining fox.

and yea, massive mindgames ;)

Laijin

Smash Hero

YLink v Mario: Goes in Mario's favor imo. Playing Boss showed me this. But it's more or less like vs Doc. Except his fireballs aren't as bad. and the fact that he floats more than Doc makes him slightly easier to kill. -1
Who the hell is Boss?
This dude needs to quit playing brawl and show up to a md/va tournament.
I have been here for 6 months and all people can talk about is how much better he is than most of the state(which is hard to believe seeing as how Mario/Doc is not a good character =\).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah, does Boss still play melee? The only time I hear about him nowadays is about him and brawl

more importantly, laijin, how come you have a Sunny avatar and why aren't we friends?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think most of the Top/High Tier Match-up's are about even (considering most Top and High Tiers have roughly the same potential)
I agree with this. For example, there isn't a big difference in overall punishment between a peach or marth or puff or falco or fox. Unless the character simply can't be comboed, they all take about the same mental work to kill the other person. Some take a bit more button work.

Overall i think high/top tier match-ups are very exaggerated compared to the rest of the game's matchups. Its hard to believe that any match-up where its possible to get 1 kill for 1 hit is worse than -1. In low tiers its like "which character sucks less at hurting things"

t3h Icy

Smash Master
A sticky!? Lol, I sort of let this drift away since we were sort of done or at least as close to it, but I suppose I'll resurrect it then.

Here's the list from before:

Some Agreement:

Falcon > Roy
Ganon >> DK
Jigglypuff > Luigi
Link > Kirby
Link = Pikachu
Mario > Young Link
Marth >>> Roy
Mewtwo > Yoshi
Peach >> Yoshi
Pikachu > Ness
Pikachu > Roy
Pikachu > Zelda
Samus > Mr.G&W
Samus >> Yoshi
Yoshi > Pichu
Zelda = Mr.G&W

Debating:

Falcon >> Kirby
Falcon > Samus
DK > Ness
DK > Roy
Kirby > Ness
Luigi > Roy
Marth > Luigi
Mewtwo > Zelda
Mr.G&W >> Kirby
Pikachu > Kirby
Pikachu > Roy
Pikachu = Young Link
Young Link >> Kirby
Young Link > Roy
Zelda >> Kirby

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
G&W >> Kirby

Agreed, G&W is like marth to a kirby, except it has slightly less range and every move is a good kill move/launcher. Possibly G&W >>> Kirby. It's horrible, the little guy can't do ANYTHING to get in.

Air game, G&W
Ground game, G&W
Grab game, G&W, though kirby can do some dthrow shennanigans.
recovering, G&W can recover somewhat well, kirby... can't, gets naired each time.
Projectile, Tie Final cutter might be more useful than chef, but it's a close one >.>

Overall Kirby just can't get in on G&W =/ I'd rather go against a good falco than a G&W, if only cause falco lasers **** with kirby, and falco will actually DIE

CloneHat

Smash Champion
impretty sure m2 zelda is over, m2 won.

m2> yoshi

but is roy really that close to falcon?
Roy vs Falcon can actually be annoying. Roy SHFFLs so much faster than Marth, he can create a wall against Falcon. Not to mention Falcon's crouch cancel options are pretty thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom