• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff for Top Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Zulu was using Jigglypuff's crouch constantly to land rests and stuff back in like.. 2005 maybe..

good post though obviously
It's just an interesting usage I don't see a lot of puffs using. It was something minor, but it's a plus. The debate for jiggs is that new usages for moves are being applied. But you're right it's definitely not something that was unheard of before.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
He uses Fox. And nothing in that post convinced me that Marth counters Jiggs (especially because "throw to ****" doesn't actually work anymore. People know how to DI the throws now)

It's a very slight advantage for Marth AT BEST. (I only say that it's not in Jigg's favor because landing f-smashes DOES happen, even if he can't combo into it. And he's not punished as harshly for mistakes as the other top tiers because his range prevents rest punishments and he's immune to rest combos in general)

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
in terms of DI'ing marths throws?
don't down/forward/back throws all lead to an Fsmash if they DI improperly(by improperly I mean they DI one of the throws which you are not using)?
it doesn't sound impossible, it's like you're playing rock paper scissors with them
Mindgames: apply them

Pengie

Smash Lord
To my knowledge, If you DI down on any of Marth's throws you go to far away to get hit by Marth's forward smash.

nezzedaoriginal

Smash Cadet
I'm don't know much about Melee (match-ups, combos, etc.), but I do know some.

Just a thought. (And please disregard this if Jiggs does fairly well against the lower portion of the tier list).

Why don't you guys have some sort of 'tourny' tier list. A tier list that composes of strictly the top 8-10 characters that you see at a given(perhaps big) tournament. This way, you can actually see how the top characters perform against each other, which I think would solve the problem of Jiggz being deceptively 'low'(which she isn't) on the tier list.

Note: I got this idea from SF3s, which did this, and it seemed a little more accurate.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
He uses Fox. And nothing in that post convinced me that Marth counters Jiggs (especially because "throw to ****" doesn't actually work anymore. People know how to DI the throws now)

It's a very slight advantage for Marth AT BEST. (I only say that it's not in Jigg's favor because landing f-smashes DOES happen, even if he can't combo into it. And he's not punished as harshly for mistakes as the other top tiers because his range prevents rest punishments and he's immune to rest combos in general)
My point was that a ton of other characters have a lot of tools they can use against jiggs. I never said "marth counters jiggs" lol, that's just what you were looking for.

In any case losing to a jiggs has to do more with the person playing jiggs than the character. If you're looking for gimme combos, jiggs doesn't have that many, so it's pretty fair game. And jiggs never falling for grab f-smash, or fair is like a fox never getting caught by upthrow rest. jiggs doesn't have ridiculous advantages on any top tiers besides maybe shiek. jiggs has a lot of silly rest stuff against shiek. Marth jiggs I think is pretty even if both characters' tools are fully utilized, if not then it's in marth's favor. Juan had to do ALOT of marth training with me and in tourney to learn the matchup.
LMAO i remember when he kicked a hole in his wall because he was so frustrated of losing to my marth.

Yeah, purely character to character matchup wise, jiggs doesn't really have an advantage on marth. Marth has a lot of tools that work really well on jiggs.

Yes, I do play fox. btw zephie.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I'm don't know much about Melee (match-ups, combos, etc.), but I do know some.

Just a thought. (And please disregard this if Jiggs does fairly well against the lower portion of the tier list).

Why don't you guys have some sort of 'tourny' tier list. A tier list that composes of strictly the top 8-10 characters that you see at a given(perhaps big) tournament. This way, you can actually see how the top characters perform against each other, which I think would solve the problem of Jiggz being deceptively 'low'(which she isn't) on the tier list.

Note: I got this idea from SF3s, which did this, and it seemed a little more accurate.
remember that the tier list, represents the number and quality of tools that a character has, not how those tools are utilized in a match and how a certain character's tools compare to another's.

The argument for tier lists happens when new ways to apply techniques are used. For example jiggs jab reset rest. A tourney like what you're saying would show how certain players perform against different characters and players, but it would not be able to say which characters have more and better tools than another. Since people adapt and the game changes, a list like that wouldn't stay in play for long. Jiggs will keep winning tourneys as long as the players who fight jiggs don't adapt and the jiggs players keep improving their game. In truth it all comes down to the players.

A good way to look at it is, how many ways does jiggs have to kill, approach and survive, when compared to fox or other characters, because that is what a tier list is.

X1-12

Smash Champion
marth can D/B throw -> WD back -> utilt or SH/FJ up-air

and probably f-throw -> WD forward to f-tilt/ maybe f-smash if she's in hitstun and you're confident on how far away she is, but if she's on the ground don't she can shield -> rest and f-smash from pretty far. If she air dodges towards you whilst you're F-smashing just try to buffer roll away or something, make sure you keep her at distance

LLDL

Smash Hero
the only thing i've ever used jiggs for is killing giga bower in the event matches.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
remember that the tier list, represents the number and quality of tools that a character has, not how those tools are utilized in a match and how a certain character's tools compare to another's.

The argument for tier lists happens when new ways to apply techniques are used. For example jiggs jab reset rest. A tourney like what you're saying would show how certain players perform against different characters and players, but it would not be able to say which characters have more and better tools than another. Since people adapt and the game changes, a list like that wouldn't stay in play for long. Jiggs will keep winning tourneys as long as the players who fight jiggs don't adapt and the jiggs players keep improving their game. In truth it all comes down to the players.

A good way to look at it is, how many ways does jiggs have to kill, approach and survive, when compared to fox or other characters, because that is what a tier list is.
Yeah the only reason I have (or had) a problem with that is melee and brawl (I guess smash in generals) tier lists have always been about ranking character atributes, they been about try to accurately display what characters do well in tourney. That isn't how other communities work but it's always been that way with smash since I started. 4-5 years ago.

otg

Smash Master
You're completely right breh, but wtf compelled you to write all that ****? A simple jiggs is gay as hell, you play gay to win, and stop *****ing would have sufficed. Way too much time on your hands.
He's HBOX's training partner, and probably has more jiggs experience then the rest of the country minus a few people here and there (IE: lucky).

Zeu$

Smash Journeyman
He's HBOX's training partner, and probably has more jiggs experience then the rest of the country minus a few people here and there (IE: lucky).
thats cool and all but he just wrote an essay to essentially say what should be obvious by now. play gay as hell against puff.

Rappster

Smash Ace
why is playing safe called playing gay?

last time i checked (according to my health teacher), i thought the gays were more likely to get STDs. shouldn't that mean playing risky should be called playing gay?

just a thought.
Edit: i'd actually like to take this back and apologize for being insensitive cause this sounds way more homophobic in print then it did in me head

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
thats cool and all but he just wrote an essay to essentially say what should be obvious by now. play gay as hell against puff.
The entire discussion was so dumb I couldn't believe it. I thought i'd write just one thorough explanation and end the nonsense. Juan got pissed about it too. It's insulting to the player when people complain about your character when I've seen how much he's had to practice and work to reach his level of play and even stupider when they consider banning a character for winning major tourneys when in fact its just mango and hbox who are really good.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
Mango and Hungrybox make Jiggz look top tier. Everyone else is just a Jigglypuff player. She should stay in high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom