• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
how can i prevent fast falling a drop from a platform? i have SDed so many times since i fastfall while trying not to... i try to softly tap down but i tend to fail a lot XD (platform of SV)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Are you talking about walking off a platform to do something like D-air? Hold the analog stick diagonal, and then press down on the c-stick.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Are you talking about walking off a platform to do something like D-air? Hold the analog stick diagonal, and then press down on the c-stick.
No, he's talking about actually dropping through a platform without fastfalling.

I think it really just has to do with how fast/hard to push the control stick down.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
lol I face-palmed real hard after realizing I was the one who uploaded that one. Seriously, I had forgotten about that one. Anyway, are there any other videos besides mine? Like, against high tiers. That's what I'm getting at.
San did it to blackanese's meta knight at viridian city to take the set.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
how can i prevent fast falling a drop from a platform? i have SDed so many times since i fastfall while trying not to... i try to softly tap down but i tend to fail a lot XD (platform of SV)
Just hit down normally without holding it too long.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Walk off bair, quick disjointed aerials and double jump+ buffered air dodge gets around it. It can hit in a lot of situations, but how many situations will it actually kill when jab->uptilt or something not going offstage is usually just as viable? (your opponent is screwed anyways)

@the king of murder
yeah, pretty much. Dashing away and upsmashing covers pretty much most attempts to sideB onto the stage if they do it too high. That's why standing close to the edge doing nothing is powerful, because there are things we can do on reaction and some things just guessing with most of the time an even chance of getting it right.

Walk off dair is the kind of thing that only works a few times at most aganist people unless used sparingly, when you just need to have a strong feeling that they'll be at a certain spot at a certain time. Definitely helps against characters with linear/predictable recoveries. The thing about walk off dair is that because you can possibly do it, and you know that they're aware of it, allows you to more easily take control of the situation.

Jab->dtilt won't work on wolf unless he DIs up really far. Wolf is jab bait anyways, so continuing to jab and make him recover in a way he doesn't like is still effective. I have more trouble edgeguarding wolf than fox/falco though, lol. Maybe because I don't play enough of them to really know all my options.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Also I find walk off b-air only useful against charas with predictable recovery.
Damm I actually meant D-air instead of B-air. *Fix it*

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you San. The key is to play unpredictable here.

I find edgeguarding Wolf as Ike isn't so troublesome once you know how his recovery works.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think the best way to go about it is to never give the impression you're gonna do a walk off d-air. That way, they relax some during the match and you can pull it off later on. Granted, I see it only working once per set.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Vid would have been better without the sound delay =(
Sounds very weeabooish but it's not bad.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What genre are you avoiding?

I can suggest a manga on two families coming together (Josei genre), reality Yuri (Its quite nice of a story), smut in every chapter (Hentai not made by fans!) or a girl being a cell phone (this is silly).

There is last inning too :o a nice baseball manga that isn't done..

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
My Little Home

This is a very nice story, no extreme drama, and quite funny. Its Josei, so the intended audience is older women (like 24+)

Eko to Issho

Guy gets his first new cell phone... a new model that is a robotic girl. Mainly Comedy with Sci-fi romance.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I read kurosawa a few hours ago.. I was like this is stupid, but then I noticed there was a topic saying that it was actually good, so I decided to read it. It wasn't bad, if you think about the main character's initial thought processes while ignoring the sexual vulgarity tbqh

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
So I went over a friend's house to practice for MLG. Instead, I played Tetris Attack, Yoshi's Cookie, and some Yu-Gi-Oh. GET AT ME.

Also, I checked the preliminary bracket and said to myself that there will be major upsets.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Think Death Note, except instead of killing people, he masturbates. :awesome:
Allow me to say one word:

WUT

The most "out there" manga I've read or currently read (sorry Bleach / Fairy Tail / One Piece, you guys are pretty mainstream!) would probably be Detroit Metal City (or DMC). I read all 80 of the chapters (it's up to like 87 now, I think?) a while ago and the premise is fairly amusing. It stars some forgettable guy who wants to be a pop idol but unfortunately he sucks at pop music. What he is good at, however, is death metal so he has an alternate persona by the name of Krauser. The whole manga (and I believe there is an anime too!) features him juggling these two fairly amusing personas. All the non-Krauser characters are utterly forgettable but I thought it was solid. It seems to have a 4.5/5 on mangafox as well, though it's not available there.

In retrospect I'm not as much of a manga dude as I thought I was. I really just read mainstream shounen stuff since I can appreciate mindless fights and "power of friendship" speeches no matter the situation. Psychological stuff like Death Note and Code Geass (first is best in manga format, second is really only available in anime format) really appeals to me as well. Looks like I'm not a fan of manga that don't feature either shounen fights or psychological warfare. Not romance novels for me!

One last thing before I go to sleep: Over the summer (while on vacation) I re-watched Speed Grapher and watched Canaan [fairly obscure animes, both of them) and I found them to be fairly entertaining. Has anyone seen either of them?

EDIT: I am reading this Onani Master Kurosawa stuff and it's pretty good! Except for the whole, you know...

EDIT 2: Okay it's VERY GOOD! Except for the whole, you know...

FINAL EDIT: Excellent manga. The vulgar subject theme allows the main character to sink so deeply that the rebirth he experiences is so much more powerful. Solid character development and a very concrete, clear story. Only problem is I can't really recommend this to people because of the sensitive subject matter. What a pity.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Kay so I played a marth yesterday and after some really nasty edgeguard on his part and some "let's use the BSL against him" on mine, I had a really bad idea I thought I'd share.

(The idea is impractical in itself; I first thought this could be useful but changed my mind .ç. perhaps for marth himself but w/e)

Let's say you counter right at the edge (but onstage) as Marth is UpB-ing to grab the edge. This should trigger your counter, and as you won't hit him, he should be wearing the stun jacket. Now of course you'd get punished for the ending lag of counter, so the stun jacket would be consumed by the move marth would use to punish- but ADMITTING he just rolled away or whatever, would he wear the stun jacket+BSL?

oh and long live ike

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Let's say you counter right at the edge (but onstage) as Marth is UpB-ing to grab the edge. This should trigger your counter, and as you won't hit him, he should be wearing the stun jacket. Now of course you'd get punished for the ending lag of counter, so the stun jacket would be consumed by the move marth would use to punish- but ADMITTING he just rolled away or whatever, would he wear the stun jacket+BSL?

oh and long live ike
According to this, the stun jacket won't work if you counter a character's weapon. So you wouldn't be able to activate it in the first place.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
According to this, the stun jacket won't work if you counter a character's weapon. So you wouldn't be able to activate it in the first place.
It has to be wrong because numerous times in ike vs. ike i will aether, he counters but counters the top of aether and misses and then in ike's downward fall the stun jacket will be applied to the falling hitbox... or if they aren't hit by that later on they will be affected...

Top Bottom