• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
In other news, i got to round 38 in der reise in nazi zombies.. So epic of a run.. My friend keeps dying in one hit though o.O
IIRC from when my brother was playing, Juggernog is your friend. He also said that if you have the Wunderwaffe (sp?) gun on your back, you get downed in one hit.

So what are everyone's plans for Halloween? (not including the Bi-weekly). Besides that I'm just gonna hang at home while a few friends come over. We've got candy for anyone trick-or-treating too. Leftovers for us. :D

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
... I'm not surprised if it is a 1 hit KO with the waffer on your back cause thats the relationship of all his deaths O_O

I guess i gotta meat sheild my friend

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Same, I don't do anything for Halloween except get out of the house during trick or treat time. Going to see R.E.D.

Also: You don't go down in one hit with the wunderwaffle on your back. Your friend is simply getting killed with lots of rapid hits. Kinda happens a lot in the later rounds.

However, if you hit yourself with a wunderwaffle shot, you lose your juggernog.

Do we have any write ups about how to play the MUs. Some of the players have been catching up to me and learning how to deal with my usual methods because their board have write ups and they are learning how to punish and beat me. I remember a write up thread a while ago but the metagame changes and some are outdated. Wondering if this could be the next big thing the ike boards do.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We've never been a fan with write ups, because the game is constantly expanding and things are always changing. That would mean going back and either updating our old write ups or writing an entirely new one. But yea, I agree with Ussi, just ask the characters you seem to be having trouble with, and what is it that YOU are doing on a general basis.

I usually beat my friends Jiggs but lately he learned to retreat his aerials especially his bair and I'm having a hard time getting in. I've discouraged him from using rollout because of counter although you might think it's a bad idea, using counter. Also I'm not exactly sure how to play the Zss MU. At times I think i've got it down and then others i'm at a complete loss as how to deal with Zss once the armor is gone. I'm also interested in how to play the falco MU. I think I know how to play it I just need to get better at spacing and spot dodge turn around jab. Do you reccomend platform camping or eating a few lasers so he doesn't get to chaingrab you so far and maybe avoid the spike. If Mr. Doom could contribute on how to SDI the spike into the stage I'd really appreciate it. Also if you could post some thing on taking advantage of some of DK's weaknesses that would be cool. I think I'm doing well against DK but i could stand to learn a few new things if they exsist. If you don't want to clutter up the board, you could send me PM on your suggestions.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
test the ZSS's knowledge and skill, nair > jab her shield, only thing ZSS can do it stop jab cancels on shield is OoS jab which is hard to time.

Full hop fair a lot, aim for her head with fair's lower hitbox, if she OoS uairs then you gotta save it for when she's in the air and punishing.

Charge reverse usmash when she's on the ledge, so good xD

All i got for ZSS

For jiggs its a patient war, don't be aggressive. Take you time, build damage slowly, get the lead and force her to approach you. Time oout if you must. Jiggs has a prettt good chance of gimping and hitting you put of aether

I wouldn't suggest jab canceling, use nair constantly for its low lag. Usmash only when you know she has to land (out of jumps)

Though san could prob help more for against jiggs.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Yeah, IMO, Jiggs is the most annoying patient MU Ike has. With that aerial mobility, there's no point in chasing after Jigglypuff, but at the same time, Jigglypuff should be just as wary about approaching you. You have the longer reach, so just make Jigglypuff regret approaching you with your own retreating Nairs/Fairs. Bairs can work too, but you don't want them to look too obvious >.>

Also, edge pressure should be a big advantage for you as well, because if Jigglypuff has to get to the edge, then the only way he'll get back is with a ledge-hopped aerial/Pound (which you can outspace with a Fair), or air dodging (which you can either time a Fair for, or grab him out of it). When he recovers high, try baiting the air dodge and Uair for damage/early kills.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Hey bored, you're not on facebook anymore. Why ? I loved reading your msg

lol @ Brett

Kirk

Smash Champion
I'm playing much more casually nowadays. I randomly started playing link and olimar in addition to my random. Still rocking the ike sometimes...apparently can still get 5th at a local after not playing or practicing.

But I totally want to try olimar at my next local because lol **** is ridiclous.

But anyway, how have things been around these parts?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I'm playing much more casually nowadays. I randomly started playing link and olimar in addition to my random. Still rocking the ike sometimes...apparently can still get 5th at a local after not playing or practicing.

But I totally want to try olimar at my next local because lol **** is ridiclous.

But anyway, how have things been around these parts?
Very... social. Not a lot related to metagame since Ike was brought Mid tier. Maybe subconsciously we want to drop down to LT again or something. Anyway. We did discuss (but never really try out or detail possibilities/consequences of) OoS Aether. I don't remember what happened to that conversation.

Also, if you couldn't tell, we've been doing LolWiFi biweeklies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Have a lot of little things I like to do at times. ATs will bring Ike nowhere, but general tactics and smart thinking/spacing of moves will. For example, upB OoS really only seems useful vs DDD, and only when he starts getting bair/aerial happy, or throws a projectile too close, and really only usable on stages with multiple landing options. May me useful on other characters as a rare mixup though.

I said this a few times before, but Ike's kick part of jab is actually pretty decent for spacing/anti aerial as long as you're not doing it right on top of them. Also jab cancel interrupts on double jumps, OoS attacks, and even glide tossing at times. Utilizing DACIT more because it brings us at a pretty favorable distance to jab/grab/you name it, with a good position to combo from a banana. Pretty much retreating everything and spacing on lots of Ike's attacks have gotten way better.

Many Ike's still don't know how to not get gimped though, spacing aether, etc, which is unfortunate. Kind of balances out many people not being aware of the easiest methods to gimp Ike (which are avoidable most of the time) dependent on timing, etc. Ike can do a lot more with jabs than people let on, we just need to think more while jabbing, like how they are trying to SDI, and options that will best lead to a followup. More Ikes should also use nair as a subsitute of uair more often at lower percents to hit someone above them, with the exception of platform pressure/poking.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
(Out of nowhere) I finally got in top ten in a small tournament using Ike, I'm proud of myself.
But I still had to use Pit in about half my matches :/ I really don't get how you guys manage to get past Falcos et Olimars with Ike ._.

(And still about Aether, I suppose it being a major edgeguard tool against ROB isn't news?)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Its all just abusing Ike's strengths is how we win.

Olimar you just have to keep in the air (getting him there is the hard part .. but its doable)

Falco... eat lasers till 40% so you won't get CG'd, in fact its fun to just stand there eat lasers, then watch them realize and stop so they can CG you xD then you hurt them (only noobs looks for the CG) but seriously, DO NOT GET GRABBED. Your focus should always be never be in a position to get grabbed. Which works on Falco cause its not DDD length.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
lol I don't care. I go in there, risk getting grabbed, but jab them all day. Not advisable but it's fun for me at least.
If falco's shdl aren't very low, you can dash attack it, too.
Falco's one of the few characters where fthrow->dash attack at medium-high %s always seem to work (as well as bthrow->dash attack as long as they don't go too far offstage)

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Falco's not hard at all, now that I've gotten plenty more experience (not just because of experience, though). The CG just sets Falco in the lead pretty easily, especially if he can mix-up all sorts of edgeguarding tactics after spiking you. But beyond that, it almost turns into a boxing match of who can jab->followup better to build damage for a kill.

Which reminds me, because I've been thinking about this too: how exactly do you jab Falco out of his Illusion? Does he need to be near the end of the duration, or does a jab in the middle of it work too? And would trying to grab him out of it work too?

Ussi said:
Olimar you just have to keep in the air (getting him there is the hard part .. but its doable)
I dunno, after playing Pyronic Star on Saturday, it feels like the whistle doesn't make keeping Olimar in the air very easy either.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
.. whistle is a bit harder to adjust to cause its like a makeshift air dodge but easier to counter attack out of as its only 5 frames of afterlag. Hard to get used to punish too animation wise too. Just gotta bait it and work on the timing just like they are baiting you and whistling your hit.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Which reminds me, because I've been thinking about this too: how exactly do you jab Falco out of his Illusion? Does he need to be near the end of the duration, or does a jab in the middle of it work too? And would trying to grab him out of it work too?
You would jab it when Fox/Falco is trying to get back onstage with it. Just jab it as soon you hear the sound/see the startup. I hardly get a chance to practice it and I could do it just fine. Grabbing an Illusion is not possible in Brawl(I think) but possible in Melee. (which is **** 8D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94IOX5du18#t=35s
^Possible reward for jabbing an Illusion. And I've done it plenty of times vs him. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjapzGUfIYs#t=2m05s
San does it a few times here too.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What red-x showed, it's easy to jab again (especially if they have a double jump left) or let them fall-> spike if they don't.

On brinstar, I learned that it's easiest to camp the right side of the stage most of the time. Reverse upsmash, fair, tilts, and jabs (after the bubbles have decayed a bit so there's a bit of a wall) are all very good tools to use. Fsmash is only for flash, upsmash is a lot more useful, where the end hits the bubbles or you're ontop of them. uptilting on the bubbles usually cancels the lag afterwards. Utilize the strands on the sides for edgeguarding (ftilt is actually useful as a mixup, although traditional methods are still better)

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
I actually just started using the classic controller and it works really well for ike to be honest.

especially with the attack stick.

Top Bottom